Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

dogsicle posted:

interesting bit i don't think was shown in the skill page, but aside from Albedo's skill looking to generate 1 geo particle on blossom hits (once every 2s), when hitting an enemy with an aura element it appears to also generate a particle of that element

https://twitter.com/Genshin_7/status/1339425184315367430?s=19

if you're using him as an off-field support this could be easy enough to abuse that he makes a decent little battery for some teams, though constant nullification of reactions is still a big issue

Isn't that just the slimes giving energy when they get below a certain HP%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i thought the hp threshold particles were white rather than elemental but i guess i'm not seeing any white particles there, so :negative:

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004

dogsicle posted:

i thought the hp threshold particles were white rather than elemental but i guess i'm not seeing any white particles there, so :negative:

I believe HP threshold orbs are white for neutral monsters like hilichurls and for slimes the orbs will match their element, so as far I as I can tell from that GIF it looks like it's producing a geo orb for every flower proc.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Well poo poo. I am now interested in this dumbass too.

Stop making the characters I like 5 stars dammit.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

If his numbers turn out good, he looks like he could support Ning really well while I swap in Bennett or something to heal but then I have to choose whether to boot Fischl or XQ and I want to keep all my beautiful children. :negative:

It would probably be XQ, Fischl and her constant electro explosions are too good.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

He seems weak, even by Geo standards. Not that that'll stop me from wanting to collect him.

The only way I can see him being ~meta-worthy~ is if his elevator actually enables plunge spam.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I think, UI problems aside, the delivery events may just be poorly translated. Maybe the Chinese characters for "don't get shot by the sniper we lovingly spawned for this event, and don't kill him either" are almost the same as "flying about".

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Better for Noelle, the bell or whiteblind?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

UltraRed posted:

Better for Noelle, the bell or whiteblind?

Whiteblind x 100000, Noelle scales off of DEF

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
The Bell just seems terrible. Ty game for all of them you've give me.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Hazdoc posted:

I had a suspicion but now I am certain that there's an awful lot of people who are actually really bad at this game lol

Queue up for Golden House co-op. Become 200% certain there

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
How on earth do you activate a lvl 3 Xinyan shield? I only managed to do it twice, both in coop. She is level 60, I've tried using it against 5+ enemies, against enemies stuck in doorways or ruins, against enemies pulled in with venti and it never ever happens. Searching online some sources say its very inconsistent while most never mention anything weird happening and I'm not sure if somehow the problem is on my end or what.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

AParadox posted:

How on earth do you activate a lvl 3 Xinyan shield? I only managed to do it twice, both in coop. She is level 60, I've tried using it against 5+ enemies, against enemies stuck in doorways or ruins, against enemies pulled in with venti and it never ever happens. Searching online some sources say its very inconsistent while most never mention anything weird happening and I'm not sure if somehow the problem is on my end or what.

It's bugged right now, some people just can't get it to work consistently at all. There's really no trick to it, they just need to fix it on their end.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Something something Geo but Albedo looks cool and I want him. Didn't get Zhongli so I do have the guarantee lined up.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Albedo character teaser is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgnqSKptayI

"Alchemists, no sense of right and wrong."

So that's the reason why Sucrose is around him all the time. If she wouldn't keep him in check, the area around Mondstadt would be full of half finished eldritch horrors. (besides Klee)

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
I liked the delivery event a lot more than the glider one. I mostly enjoyed how the constraints forced you to explore different paths and ways to get around, though admittedly there were some deliveries that were more annoying than fun.

The only complaint is the loading in and out, when you fail. That is a big enough pain in the rear end that I can see people finding it a deal breaker. You have to be in the right mood to go for some trial-and-error gameplay without fear of failure, but when failure means a bunch of menu navigation and loading screens, it's hard to maintain that mindset.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
They should just give you the option to automatically restart like they did with the glider one. The loading problem is sort of unavoidable though, since like half the gameplay of the event is figuring out which warp point to start from.

Speaking of which, I have no clue why so many people decided that yesterday's delivery involved swimming or freezing the water with Kaeya?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Clarste posted:

Speaking of which, I have no clue why so many people decided that yesterday's delivery involved swimming or freezing the water with Kaeya?

Yeah, I just put up a shield (which I didn't end up needing) and sprinted the intended way.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Today's Chef Mao delivery was the first time I used Kaeya. There was probably another waypoint I was supposed to use.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

No Wave posted:

Today's Chef Mao delivery was the first time I used Kaeya. There was probably another waypoint I was supposed to use.

I did it without doing anything special, but I did fail twice due to stepping on an invisible puddle.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I found geo traveler a lot easier. Less risk of getting your pinky toe moist if you're six feet above the stream.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I just loved the visual of Tart jumping around a bit and landing spread eagle grabbing a side of a hill and Paimon immediately chiming in ‘oh no that dish looks ruined’

I’m sorry Paimon but how else was I gonna hold it.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

kater posted:

I just loved the visual of Tart jumping around a bit and landing spread eagle grabbing a side of a hill and Paimon immediately chiming in ‘oh no that dish looks ruined’

I’m sorry Paimon but how else was I gonna hold it.

That chubby demon can float. Why the gently caress isn't she carrying these dishes for me while I run around?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Sammus posted:

That chubby demon can float. Why the gently caress isn't she carrying these dishes for me while I run around?

She cannot be trusted not to eat it. This is clearly canon.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

aparmenideanmonad posted:

She cannot be trusted not to eat it. This is clearly canon.
:hmmyes:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Albedo is the first character where even the teasers aren't getting me hype. Just don't care about the alchemy twink

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Soothing Vapors posted:

Albedo is the first character where even the teasers aren't getting me hype. Just don't care about the alchemy twink

But he's pretty :(

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

From Sucrose's description of him her voice lines, he's basically more like a philosopher while she's more like a scientist. Which, as a former philosophy major, just makes me hate him more.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yeah, based on the datamined stuff I had high expectations but he actually looks kind of lame. I mean, say what you want about Dong Lee but at least his attacks/abilities look cool.

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012
The delivery event implies that all the food we have in our inventory is either sloshing around together and turning into an disgusting slop or the Traveller has food storage technology they aren't sharing with the locals.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I like Albedo

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Pope Urbane II posted:

The delivery event implies that all the food we have in our inventory is either sloshing around together and turning into an disgusting slop or the Traveller has food storage technology they aren't sharing with the locals.

Voting disgusting slop, judging from the fact that my NRE can "transform most foods into instantly absorbable nutritional matter", so I basically eat Sweet Madames through a tube anyway

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
I don't know why they're hyping up geo to be super awesome energy batteries when Sucrose/Venti's E plus any other character that can add a status easily is super easy and way more effective.

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012

Ashenai posted:

Voting disgusting slop, judging from the fact that my NRE can "transform most foods into instantly absorbable nutritional matter", so I basically eat Sweet Madames through a tube anyway

I prefer to think that it's applying the food in a dermal jet injection. I'm just mainlining pizzas like it's me in real life!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I don't think they are supposed to be super awesome energy batteries. Geo MC is but otherwise no, that's supposed to be the downside to both Noelle and Zhong.

Zhong has Mona E and a 40 energy ult with big scaling but it just doesn't matter. Geo's just that bad. It doesn't benefit from spamming reactions and it doesn't benefit from hard hitting reactions so there's nothing to play around. The only way to make geo characters appealing late game is to just give them (MUCH) bigger numbers than every other character which is imo not a good idea. This will be increasingly true as we get more shields in functional element types.

I'm guessing the 1.3 paimon buff image will be a change to geo mechanics because Zhong's design is not the real problem here.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 17, 2020

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

No Wave posted:

I'm guessing the 1.3 paimon buff image will be a change to geo mechanics because Zhong's design is not the real problem here.

I'm hoping you're right, but I'm expecting it to just be a Zhongli buff.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

dogsicle posted:

interesting bit i don't think was shown in the skill page, but aside from Albedo's skill looking to generate 1 geo particle on blossom hits (once every 2s), when hitting an enemy with an aura element it appears to also generate a particle of that element

https://twitter.com/Genshin_7/status/1339425184315367430?s=19

if you're using him as an off-field support this could be easy enough to abuse that he makes a decent little battery for some teams, though constant nullification of reactions is still a big issue

This coincides with what people are saying about Zhongli, incidentally. That this guy was intended (Prior to the allegedly now fired manager that had Zhongli nerfed a month before launch and then ignored all internal feedback from the design team, art team, and even sound team on top of all of the beta testers saying he was busted.) to basically enable Zhongli's energy generation and act as a force multiplier for his stele.

Kind of interested to see if this part of Albedo's design still holds true for release though with MiHoYo putting out that suggestion that they're buffing zhongli around 1.3. It's evident that someone in the team that handled Zhongli got a bad case of that gotcha gacha greed and tried to parcel out all of his various traits and abilities to weapons and other characters in a way that meant he was secretly the ultra whale option that people wouldn't know about until after they bought him.

Either way, if he's intended as a battery that can generate spare energy that may put him up there with a refined Favonius Ningguang.

No Wave posted:

I don't think they are supposed to be super awesome energy batteries. Geo MC is but otherwise no, that's supposed to be the downside to both Noelle and Zhong.

Zhong has Mona E and a 40 energy ult with big scaling but it just doesn't matter. Geo's just that bad. It doesn't benefit from spamming reactions and it doesn't benefit from hard hitting reactions so there's nothing to play around. The only way to make geo characters appealing late game is to just give them (MUCH) bigger numbers than every other character which is imo not a good idea. This will be increasingly true as we get more shields in functional element types.

Ashenai posted:

I'm hoping you're right, but I'm expecting it to just be a Zhongli buff.

FWIW it seems that Zhongli was originally intended to be around Venti's usefulness if you ran a geo team. So it's likely just a buff to Zhongli. It doesn't seem (at least at this point) that geo is getting a major rework in 1.3.

To be fair, some of the stuff people have dug up about Zhongli suggests that maybe he wouldn't have needed a rework to geo to make him worth it to run if he had been released without at least one massive nerf, so :shrug:.

To give a TL;DR of it all: There's been a lot of leaks that suggest that he got a heavy nerf some time before release. At least a few of these have been confirmed as real. The nerf in question appears to have been done either by removing aspects of his character outright or by virtue of someone deciding to parcel out his core functionality later on in the form of weapons and other characters. When there was an overwhelming amount of feedback saying that the version of him for beta/semi-public testing was hosed it was ignored. Hence why he comes off as underpowered.

This even goes beyond direct leaks and into the visuals of his design itself. There's a thread on reddit at the moment where some guy lays out numbers comparing him and other equivalent characters, in game art assets that don't coincide with his current design, and other stuff that suggests that at some point in his design the art team figured that his auto attack was clearly supposed to be doing at least some geo damage (It even glows with geo energy similar to how some skills do with their respective element. This even appears to carry over to aura mode to some extent.) in between phys attacks.

Or how his E was supposed to be able to do heavy damage to mobs that were petrified when held, hence the reason why his hold-e secretly actually applies two hits to geo element aspected objects (And the second hit is definitely a doozy. Take a look at how much it hacks off of the pillars in the geo boss fight or against geo shield enemies.) and only one hit to other elements and neutral aspected things. Likewise, he apparently was around the chef girl's auto DPS originally according to some leaked beta reports. None of this made it to release. And some of it didn't even make it to beta.

This seems like it'd be a worthwhile way to make geo characters. Having geo apply it's own geo specific status effect like a petrify that can increase damage done to enemies or enable finisher moves on them sounds like a solid application of gameplay. However, this appears to not have made it to beta. Couple that with how lackluster Zhongli is in just about every role and that's a recipe for outrage. Thankfully it looks like there's at least a chance this may get addressed.

Edit: Probably the most damning thing about all of this is his ridiculously random energy generation. He can't even reliably generate the energy to use the one definitively good part of his character --- his burst. Meaning he's comparatively dead weight if you don't have a character with a favonius or can run as a generator. Practically speaking, what this means is that whatever they stripped out of him in and prior to testing means that even core functionality universal to all characters is just loving broken on him.

I'm not sure if that speaks well to what the code looks like under the hood or if it speaks poorly of it given that such a thing could be borked so awfully and make it to release.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 17, 2020

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Not getting into conspiracy theories, but it seems to me like a simple buff to Geo would be to just have Crystallize reactions do a bit of damage in addition to creating the shield. It doesn't even have to be a lot of damage, just enough to encourage some interactivity.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Clarste posted:

Not getting into conspiracy theories, but it seems to me like a simple buff to Geo would be to just have Crystallize reactions do a bit of damage in addition to creating the shield. It doesn't even have to be a lot of damage, just enough to encourage some interactivity.

Problem is even a little bit of damage isn't going to make it compete with the burst of vaporize or the sustained of electro-charged.

The people pointing out that Zhongli being originally designed a a god of geo isn't really going to fix the overarching issue with the reaction itself. If Zhongli's finisher move to geo aspect altered enemies was the standard for combat with geo characters going forwards then sure, it would have a use that works in the current DPS focused meta. But that seems to have been dropped at some point during his design phase.

This is doubly true if Childe is the metric of fights going forwards. Even a full shield won't save you from getting smote by him if you gently caress up and get hit by some of his (non instakill) attacks. And god help you if you run in co-op. Setting aside the issue of damage scaling co-op alone says that a lot of people don't know how to play the game well enough to use mechanics like the shields. :stonk:

Also, on a different topic: Who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to link iframes to latency in co-op? You can pop your burst off to make you immune to damage during an attack cycle by the boss or enemy and you still get smashed. Worse, I suspect this isn't even entirely due to latency. I've had 40ms latency reported and I still rarely go into my burst and get canceled out of it via getting KOed for no explicable reason.

MarcusSA posted:

How TF are you finishing the Wanmin Fresh one today with 30-40 seconds left? Like freezing the water with K takes 5 seconds each time and if you try and sprint swim you run out of stamina.

I’m following the best route but I’m still running out of time with it.

Is this for today's? Because I haven't had time to do them yet. I'll post a guide on it when I do if that helps. That being said:

If you're referring to the one from yesterday with the waterfall (Still amused at how dickish that one is.) then you want to glide off before you hit the first waterfall near the target. Assuming you've been using a character that isn't short* then you can drop onto the rock next to the one the girl is on and either plunge attack down or suicide (you can just tele to a statue for a res after the delivery if you don't want to bother with food) and immediately hit interact to deliver it.

If you're referring to the deliveries (there's been two of them now. Yesterday's delivery just put the target much farther away.) where the closest teleport location to the NPC is across a river then you shouldn't even be going to the river at all. The optimal route was to teleport in to that area and immediately turn around, climb the ruined wall behind you and use your vantage point on top of it to run up/just use one climbing hop to get to the top of that little plateau.

When you're up there you'll realize that it directly connects to the other cliff on the other side of the river. From there it's just a direct run/sprint to the quest giver with no complications save for one group of archers that you can trivially avoid by strafing left and right while moving forwards. I was able to finish that one with around 30s left by doing that since it negates having to find a way up to the NPC and directly connects to them.

Also, I really wish there was a dialogue to question these people on why they're in such mental places for the delivery of food specifically designed to get hosed up the moment you deliver it. One woman literally wanted soup while standing under a waterfall. Are these supposed to be the Teyvat equivalent of delivery prank calls? :psyduck:

*Never, ever, ever, use anything but the tallest male characters. They get a minor speed boost due to their height that stacks up if you don't have Mona or can't sprint. If you can sprint and have mona swap out to that male character when recharging sprint but use her to sprint. Likewise, keep in mind that hopping up walls is possible when climbing them. And it's better to hop up and run with a male character than it is to slowly climb up and sprint with a character.

Likewise, assume that at least 1 delivery every day is going to have a hidden bullshit gimmick at the end that tests your knowledge to rapidly assess your surroundings. This is always why you want to be moving towards it. The closer you are the more time you have left to deal with whatever bullshit gimmick they're going to throw at you at the end of the run. Like the waterfalls. Or that woman that was standing on a raft when you can't get the meal wet. :argh:

Also, if you have Barbara (and most should) she can create a meal that lasts for 1500 seconds and gives you around -25% stamina loss reduction when sprinting. The basic version gives about the same amount and lasts for 300s. This is helpful when speed running the deliveries that let you sprint (Though the 300s version should be enough unless you wipe a bunch.). Obviously you should go for something that gives gliding and/or climbing if there's a delivery that involves those things. In that case something like Barbatos Ratatouille (Which can be obtained from a weather watching NPC on stormbearer point.) is preferable to minimize time spent.

Also, i'm not sure if Kaeya's stamina reduction buff when sprinting stacks with food (I haven't used him for this at all so far. Sounds like today's delivery might require it though?) but if so you want to have him on your team as well if you want to min-max the time you have left.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

metagaming chowder runs