Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Season 8 started airing like a month ago.

Oh I thought I was on the last one, this is good news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I’m like 40 minutes into Prom and it’s been delightful so far.

E: I’m predicting a downward trajectory because it already feels like the plot should be wrapping up soon.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 19, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Junkie Disease posted:

The Third day
Still haunts me and has much to munch on for a story
That's my 2020 pick

The Third Day was my biggest surprise, since I watched it on a whim without knowing anything about it and thought it was great.

For me it's gotta be Raised by Wolves though. As far as new stuff goes. I won't count the Expanse because it's been around for years even though I just started in the last month, otherwise that would tie with RBW or maybe even beat it out.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

The Third Day was my biggest surprise, since I watched it on a whim without knowing anything about it and thought it was great.

For me it's gotta be Raised by Wolves though. As far as new stuff goes. I won't count the Expanse because it's been around for years even though I just started in the last month, otherwise that would tie with RBW or maybe even beat it out.

Where is Raised By Wolves? Someone at work was saying it was weird and excellent but I can't figure out where to watch it.

e I just realized it must be HBO max, isn't it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. It's peak weirdo sci fi and very divisive, so you might love it or hate it depending on what you want out of it. Obviously I am in the love it camp.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah. It's peak weirdo sci fi and very divisive, so you might love it or hate it depending on what you want out of it. Obviously I am in the love it camp.

I absolutely loved the world building they did with it.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Raised by Wolves is weirdo scifi driven by mystical allegory and it owns. Its very much Prometheus/Covenant Ridley Scott territory and is mostly about setting up this crazy story where the idea is "what kind of insane poo poo would have to happen for a new religion to form on a planet newly inhabited by humans"

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
They should have called it Mormons in Space

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

promising carl posted:

They should have called it Mormons in Space

I’m sorry, Battlestar Galactica has that concept covered.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edward Mass posted:

Also the Expanse has space literal space Mormons.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

I'm still steamed about that awful twist

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Watched the Euphoria special and oh boy did Zendaya and Domingo Coleman put on an acting clinic. I can understand why people might dislike the episode because it is very preachy and does away with the flashy cinematography of the series and replaces it with an hour long conversation between two characters in one location but it worked for me, especially the final 10 minutes.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Tainen posted:

Watched the Euphoria special and oh boy did Zendaya and Domingo Coleman put on an acting clinic. I can understand why people might dislike the episode because it is very preachy and does away with the flashy cinematography of the series and replaces it with an hour long conversation between two characters in one location but it worked for me, especially the final 10 minutes.

Yea I thought it was amazing. Don’t go into expecting a typical tv show episode. Its basically a clinic on depression and addiction, and it’s really well acted.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

veni veni veni posted:

Also the Expanse has space literal space Mormons.

I love how bemused the Belters were at the Mormons being mad their ship got stolen. Like, they literally couldn't believe the Mormons were so naive as to think they'd get to keep it

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I'm 2 episodes into Sweet Home on Netflix and it's a lot of fun. It's like a Korean version of REC, except people don't turn into zombies but Monster Mash. Really energetic direction and way more budget for the monster effects than I've honestly seen in awhile.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm 2 episodes into The Flight Attendant and I can't help but feel like this is secretly a PSA against alcoholism.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm 2 episodes into The Flight Attendant and I can't help but feel like this is secretly a PSA against alcoholism.

For sure. Every time I drink, I get pulled into a murder mystery.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I thought the show was fun for three episodes... then it went on for another five

It’s does have one of the best title sequences in a long time though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

After episode 3, this really IS an alcoholism PSA huh

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Okay I finished marathoning The Flight Attendant and I HAVE THOUGHTS.

Kaley Cuoco’s character was really pissing me off about halfway through and I was mad at the show for transparently trying to make the audience like a lovely character by casting someone who looks like Kaley, but I actually bought into her redemption arc.

Rosie Perez is a piece of poo poo who needed to join a book club or something.

When we first met Buckley, he reminded me of Penn Badgely. Funny that he turned out to be Penn’s character from Her.

Good show, would recommend.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Josh Lyman posted:

Okay I finished marathoning The Flight Attendant and I HAVE THOUGHTS.

Kaley Cuoco’s character was really pissing me off about halfway through and I was mad at the show for transparently trying to make the audience like a lovely character by casting someone who looks like Kaley, but I actually bought into her redemption arc.

Rosie Perez is a piece of poo poo who needed to join a book club or something.

When we first met Buckley, he reminded me of Penn Badgely. Funny that he turned out to be Penn’s character from Her.

Good show, would recommend.

Speaking of. I don't understand what the whole point of Rosie's character's corporate espionage subplot. It had nothing to do with the rest of the show, and just seemed like reason to justify casting Rosie in such a thankless role.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The HBOMax app on Roku has crashed on me 5 times today.

It's never while watching anything, at least, but loading pages is a dice roll.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tainen posted:

I thought the show was fun for three episodes... then it went on for another five

It’s does have one of the best title sequences in a long time though.

I read the description and thought it sounded interesting, but immediately assumed it was a movie and lost all interest when I found out it was a show. This has actually been happening to me a lot with streaming services lately. 45 minutes into Ratched I realized I was watching the first episode of a TV show and not a movie, then promptly turned it off.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
after all the gushing reviews and hype around Chadwick Boseman's final live-action performance, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom is... fine. Viola Davis is absolutely superb, but Boseman unfortunately feels like he's playing to the audience in a way that accentuates the overall staginess of the production, though I don't think that's ultimately his fault.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Wilds is interesting but I don’t know if I can handle this much teen angst.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

The Wilds is interesting but I don’t know if I can handle this much teen angst.
It ends kind of on a dull fart. I've been recommending my friends stop wherever they're at.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I just finished The Wilds last night and it's definitely the lamest cliffhanger I've ever seen. I think either the point where Leah found Nora talking to the camera in the tree or when she fell into the hole would have been a decent breaking points. Or if episode 10 was a few minutes longer and she was mid-escape and left us with her running toward civilization and wondering if she would make it. As is, it feels like they looked at the footage and said "oh, crap we're 15 minutes over. Let's just cut it here.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Sir Not Appearing posted:

I just finished The Wilds last night and it's definitely the lamest cliffhanger I've ever seen. I think either the point where Leah found Nora talking to the camera in the tree or when she fell into the hole would have been a decent breaking points. Or if episode 10 was a few minutes longer and she was mid-escape and left us with her running toward civilization and wondering if she would make it. As is, it feels like they looked at the footage and said "oh, crap we're 15 minutes over. Let's just cut it here.

I kind of saw it as the writers were really into olympics. But instead of diving, more like figure skating commentators:

"The viewers are starting to wander here, Francis. They may be reaching for the remote bu... OH MY GOD DID YOU SEE THAT TWIST?"
"DOUBLE TWIST"
"Wait for it, the crowd will never see this coming... TRIPLE TWIST!!!"

I was watching it in a window while working through some refresher courses. 2 coworkers with me, our chat window has basically been a running count of how many crimes are being committed, with the early realization that the "research" team really thinks they're going to weasel out of this one by blackmailing minors to keep their mouth shut.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Small Axe is so good its crazy. It looks absolutely beautiful too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The HBO Max app runs like booty on a TCL 6 series Roku TV btw.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

mistermojo posted:

Small Axe is so good its crazy. It looks absolutely beautiful too.

I thought the first one was very slow and a lot of the accents are bad. But the direction was great and I was planning to give it another go once all of them came out because I’m a big Sir Steve McQueen fan. Still, a movie miniseries? What a madman.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

The HBO Max app runs like booty on a TCL 6 series Roku TV btw.

I'll have to check what model mine is but it's easily the least stable app I've had on it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

HBO always has the worst apps regardless of platform. I haven't checked it on my 6 series Roku TV but at least the PS5 app is a lot faster than the PS4 one was so I'm just using that.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I've never had any issues with the AppleTV one. Now if we're talking about the Amazon Prime app.... that thing is a piece of poo poo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There’s nothing worse than the Hulu app right now, it’s borderline impossible to find anything and they actually got rid of all the “new and coming soon” tabs.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Hulu in general is just hot loving garbage in terms of UI and UX. I only use mine on a computer since I have a "with ads" version that is free with my Spotify. Computer lets me block ads.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s nothing worse than the Hulu app right now, it’s borderline impossible to find anything and they actually got rid of all the “new and coming soon” tabs.

I mean, I'll take "badly organized" over "crashes constantly."

(Also the presentation of the old Looney Tunes is such that the last gag won't even finish playing out before the screen shrinks to tell you what's playing next.)

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

(Also the presentation of the old Looney Tunes is such that the last gag won't even finish playing out before the screen shrinks to tell you what's playing next.)

I'll even take that over "just jumps to a next episode" like netflix does. A lotta shows got some dope credits music! But that's also been a problem with TV shows forever. As an example I don't think I ever heard the credits music for Invader Zim until those DVDs came out. They always shrink the credits down to a third of the screen and scream "COMING UP NEXT GOT 4 EPISODES OF SPONGEBOB"

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Big Mean Jerk posted:

No, the PS4 HBO max app is worse. You can't renew your subscription on it, even if you're signed in and have payment method on file.

If you press down on the d pad to scroll, it will usually get "stuck" scrolling down. This problem has existed for a year, despite the app getting updated every week and being on version 50.04. Yes, fifty.

It's a garbage fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m watching Enslaved on a free Epix trial and it’s a mixed bag, being that the subject is interesting but it’s really bogged down by feeling like a Samuel L. Jackson vanity/tourism project.

Are there any other good docs on the North Atlantic slave trade on streaming atm?