Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just gotta get an all wheel drive horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

KozmoNaut posted:

To competently use a tool, in other words.

:awesome:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I mean, if you can't take care of yourself that's fine. Learning to cook and change your own oil isn't hard.

So, every 3000-5000 miles, you can: flip through your car manual to find the appropriate specifications, drive to an auto parts shop, buy a bunch of oil and a filter, drive home, jack up your car, get on your back, start draining the oil, wait, get back under the car, change the filter, put the drain cap back on, pop the hood, pour in the oil, pour the old oil into a closeable container, find somewhere to store the oily funnel and drain pan, take the old oil to be properly disposed of, and change and wash your clothes after having been on the dirty-rear end garage floor and/or street; the whole ordeal lasting like 3 hours. OR, a professional who has all the tools and materials on hand and can drive your car over a pit, do the whole dang thing in twenty minutes, and charge you only like 15 bucks more than the oil and filter would've cost you at the auto parts shop anyway.

I changed my own oil a couple times when I was 17 and my dad felt like it was an important life skill for me to learn but you and he were both wrong as heck on that front.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah, there's good car maintenance to be able to do, but changing oil is a huge pain in the rear end that's not too expensive to make someone else's problem. It's worth paying to not have to deal with.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Solice Kirsk posted:

Learning to responsibly use/maintain a firearm is an important life skill.

Only if you live in a backwards hell-nation. Which we do, so yes teach your kids about guns that's actually good advice.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

spookygonk posted:

Shall I get off your lawn as well?

I own land, so I do have the correct clearances to say that! Now that I'm officially a middle-aged upper middle-class landowning white dude I can lean into becoming more and more out of touch until I find myself one day saying "they should just shoot them" when talking about 15 year old kids TPing houses.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Data Graham posted:

I thought WeTwork went out of business or something

Nah, you're thinking if WeTwerk. :tutbutt:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Eventually you end up with a group of grumpy white guys at a diner in Orange County California loudly advocating for rounding up the homeless onto cruise ships to sink at sea.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Humphreys posted:

Cringey as it is, that does have some good advise.

BUUUUUUUUT why the gently caress do they have one of these on the pegboard:

I remember those as (and forgive me if wrong) a warfightrer prototype, and the optics all integrated. Looks like what Matthew VanDyke took his first kill with, which itself was weird to see in civilian hands.

EDIT: Yup same rifle base:

It’s an FS2000, the semi-auto commercial version. Other than looking sci-fi it basically does the same thing as any other .223 rifle on the board but heavier and bulkier. Not much reason to buy it except feeling like a future soldier.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Learning to responsibly use/maintain a firearm is an important life skill. Same with basic maintenance of a car, how to properly use a knife, how to build a fire, and how to cook. If you don't know how to do, at the very least, three of those things you probably should.

literally the only thing on here that's an "important life skill" for anyone ITT is cooking

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

. Not much reason to buy it except feeling like a future soldier.

Your sending mixed messages here

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Modern life skill I wish my parents everyone had: How to recognize and ignore spam emails and phone calls without having to ask someone

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

If you don't learns the basics of wiring and over confidence how are you going to burn down your shed?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Important life skills in 2020: correct handwashing technique, having a sense of if something on social media seems wrong or distorted, being able to check the source of things you see online, knowing how to improvise a mask

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

That fourth one desperately needs a slide whistle.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

DontMockMySmock posted:

So, every 3000-5000 miles, you can: flip through your car manual to find the appropriate specifications, drive to an auto parts shop, buy a bunch of oil and a filter, drive home, jack up your car, get on your back, start draining the oil, wait, get back under the car, change the filter, put the drain cap back on, pop the hood, pour in the oil, pour the old oil into a closeable container, find somewhere to store the oily funnel and drain pan, take the old oil to be properly disposed of, and change and wash your clothes after having been on the dirty-rear end garage floor and/or street; the whole ordeal lasting like 3 hours. OR, a professional who has all the tools and materials on hand and can drive your car over a pit, do the whole dang thing in twenty minutes, and charge you only like 15 bucks more than the oil and filter would've cost you at the auto parts shop anyway.

I changed my own oil a couple times when I was 17 and my dad felt like it was an important life skill for me to learn but you and he were both wrong as heck on that front.

I can rebuild engines and transmissions, and yeah, if you get a coupon you can usually have a quick lube change your oil for literally the same price as buying the components.

I do it on all my bikes though because motorcycle mechanics will charge you a full hour at $60 per.

Probably the #1 life skill we should be teaching kids in this day and age is media literacy though. Cooking's a short second.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Only skill you truly need is eating rear end.

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

Elviscat posted:

I can rebuild engines and transmissions, and yeah, if you get a coupon you can usually have a quick lube change your oil for literally the same price as buying the components.

I do it on all my bikes though because motorcycle mechanics will charge you a full hour at $60 per.

Probably the #1 life skill we should be teaching kids in this day and age is media literacy though. Cooking's a short second.

I think a lot of these skills are useful to know how to well enough that you understand the process, and that it's worth paying someone else to do.

Like I can strip down, clean and re-grease and reassemble my bike's headset but gently caress doing it when the option to pay someone else to do it is there. Similarly I can start a fire with a flint and steel but I still use a lighter when I go camping.

Engines are a mystery to me though. It is my man-shame.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Cocaine Bear posted:

Only skill you truly need is eating rear end.

Eat a man's rear end and you feed yourself for a day. Teach a man to eat rear end and you feed him for a lifetime

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Gruffalo Soldier posted:

I think a lot of these skills are useful to know how to well enough that you understand the process, and that it's worth paying someone else to do.

Like I can strip down, clean and re-grease and reassemble my bike's headset but gently caress doing it when the option to pay someone else to do it is there. Similarly I can start a fire with a flint and steel but I still use a lighter when I go camping.

Engines are a mystery to me though. It is my man-shame.

boom fuel go in, splode vapour come out, while the big wheel on side turn

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Americans: yeah it's totally normal to teach a child how to use lethal weapons
Also Americans: lol let's saddle our kids with insurmountable college debt and make routine medical procedures hideously expensive while also have no social safety net to speak of

This either creates the class that will topple the US from inside, or will make it storm troopers, though given recent history, I'm quite sure that it's the latter

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
*calls up hotel*
"Hey! Put on that centaur broad I talked to earlier! Bullshit, there was a horse-lady hybrid at the front desk when I was there this afternoon, quit jerkin' me around!"

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Wood?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nay.

bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

Ak Gara posted:

I don't know how to file taxes but the Plex server on my smartTV has every single movie and song correctly meta tagged.

We hired a boomer nanny for a little while. It blew her mind when she said something was wrong with Plex and I explained it was my server with my media on it.

Image:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’m 33 years old and have no idea what you’re talking about :shrug:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
If only there were some kind of website into which one might type the word "Plex" and literally click on the first result. A 'search engine', as it were. Alas, such future technology is beyond our reach.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

It's gonna take me a minute to shuffle through the card index at the library zoomer, calm down

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Life is lived on the internet and in computers, as we all know. Being good at social media and googling everything is... well, the most important skill you can acquire, and you will never need to *know* anything because you can just Google it grandpa, jeez.

What do you mean to outside and interact with the world? Feel accomplished at doing something with my hands and knowing I can do it again? Ok, boomer :agesilaus:

Ain't nobody teaching *my* kids how to do anything off a screen in "real" life. My mental health is great because I am online all the time.

Gooons, man.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

hawowanlawow posted:

I got a chipmunk rifle when I was 6, it's fine

Look man I get the whole gun thing, but I have to disagree hard here. That's extremely irresponsible.
There's no way a 6 year old has the maturity and patience to safely teach a chipmunk how to shoot a rifle

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Americans: yeah it's totally normal to teach a child how to use lethal weapons
Also Americans: lol let's saddle our kids with insurmountable college debt and make routine medical procedures hideously expensive while also have no social safety net to speak of

This either creates the class that will topple the US from inside, or will make it storm troopers, though given recent history, I'm quite sure that it's the latter

The latter. The US Military's big on harvesting recruits straight out of high school.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

canyoneer posted:

Look man I get the whole gun thing, but I have to disagree hard here. That's extremely irresponsible.
There's no way a 6 year old has the maturity and patience to safely teach a chipmunk how to shoot a rifle

Theodore could no longer stand the wait. He just wanted a hula hoop.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
Anyone who needs three hours to change their oil should not be within arms reach of a wrench for fear of burning their house down.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Imagined posted:

If only there were some kind of website into which one might type the word "Plex" and literally click on the first result. A 'search engine', as it were. Alas, such future technology is beyond our reach.
That would require me to care enough to go looking for information about it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Theodore could no longer stand the wait. He just wanted a hula hoop.

ALVIIIIIIIIN!!!!!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Mzuri posted:

Life is lived on the internet and in computers, as we all know. Being good at social media and googling everything is... well, the most important skill you can acquire, and you will never need to *know* anything because you can just Google it grandpa, jeez.

What do you mean to outside and interact with the world? Feel accomplished at doing something with my hands and knowing I can do it again? Ok, boomer :agesilaus:

Ain't nobody teaching *my* kids how to do anything off a screen in "real" life. My mental health is great because I am online all the time.

Gooons, man.

If you aren't prepared to drop everything and live in the woods forever then you are a failed human.

Booomers, man

Seriously though knowing how to to learn things is more useful than learning a bunch of stuff I'll never use like whittling or how to make a fire. There are tutorials on how to do basically every single task in existence available on the internet, and the internet is basically always available to most people. Every month I have to help my parents do something on their computer, them learning to google would be more useful than however many fires they could theoretically start.

Piell has a new favorite as of 14:15 on Dec 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I can't stop listening to this farty rear end music that's like Seinfeld from hell.
https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/1258955909188874240?s=20

E: Lol!
https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/1258957555960709120?s=20

Lodin has a new favorite as of 14:33 on Dec 20, 2020