Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Dark Souls 3 came out in April of 2016. A lot of people liked it, but I thought it was poo poo. For reasons that I'm sure are related to me thinking it was loving awful, my first run was a sorcery run. I was also very disappointed with how much the game felt the need to fellate the first Dark Souls. Say what you will about the game, but the callbacks were anything but tasteful and well-thought-out. Every time I came across a direct reference to the first game, it felt like all that was missing was a sitcom audience's raucous applause.

So why am I doing an LP of a game that I hated? Because Cinders did the impossible and made me like the game. Cinders made Dark Souls 3 actually fun.

So what is Cinders?

Cinders is a reimagining of Dark Souls 3. It rebalances a lot of items and skills and a lot of fundamental mechanics. To give you an idea of what I mean, you can only have 10 Estus Flasks at maximum instead of 15. Why? Because the mod author removed Ashen Estus Flasks. Why? Because in its place they give you an infinite use item that restores a shitload of FP all at once but leaves you vulnerable for about 5 seconds. On top of that, FP naturally regenerates. So you can cast as many spells as you want as long as you're willing to deal with being extremely vulnerable when you go to replenish your casts.

The game is harder now, but the dev gives you the tools to actually scale the mountain he's set in front of you. And in case the game wasn't hard enough for you, you can activate optional curses that make enemies even stronger in exchange for greater rewards when they die. We'll be doing most of this LP under the effects of some of those curses.

When are you recording? I want to invade you and--

Slow your roll there, chief. While Cinders can be played online, FROM's servers will auto softban you if they detect you going online with the mod enabled. For various reasons, I don't especially want to be softbanned and forced to play on the cheater server. Also the run I'm planning on doing is not your traditional Souls run.

To put it bluntly, if I played with other people, I'd be inundated with messages calling me every name under the sun, chief among them being "unfair."

What kind of run is it going to be?

Low schadenfreude. To say more would ruin the surprise. You're very likely not going to see me struggling very much. I've practiced this run several times now, and each time I do it, it gets easier and easier. When I die, you're not going to see a half hour of me struggling to get back to where I was. I'm going to cut out repetitious content liberally.

Videos

I'm aiming to post videos twice a week!

Playlist

01 - Cemetary of Ash (feat. Yapping Eevee)
02 - Hellrun Part 1 (feat. Yapping Eevee)
03 - Hellrun Part 2 (feat. Yapping Eevee)
04 - High Wall of Lothric Part 1 (feat. Yapping Eevee)
05 - High Wall of Lothric Part 2 (feat. Yapping Eevee)
06 - High Wall of Lothric Part 3 (feat. Yapping Eevee)
07 - High Wall of Lothric Part 4 (feat. Yapping Eevee)
08 - Undead Settlement Part 1 (feat. Yapping Eevee)
09 - Undead Settlement Part 2 (feat. Yapping Eevee)
10 - Undead Settlement Part 3 (feat. Leave)
11 - Undead Settlement Part 4 (feat. Leave)
12 - Road of Sacrifices Part 1 (feat. Leave)
13 - Road of Sacrifices Part 2 (feat. Leave)
14 - Road of Sacrifices Part 3 (feat. Leave)
15 - Cathedral of the Deep Part 1 (feat. Leave)
16 - Cathedral of the Deep Part 2 (feat. Leave)
17 - Cathedral of the Deep Part 3 (feat. Leave)
18 - Cathedral of the Deep Part 4 (feat. Leave)
19 - Farron Keep Part 1 (feat. Leave)
20 - Farron Keep Part 2 (feat. Leave)
21 - Farron Keep Part 3 (feat. Leave)
22 - Catacombs of Carthus (feat. Leave)
23 - Smouldering Lake Part 1 (feat. Leave)
24 - Smouldering Lake Part 2 (feat. Leave)
25 - Smouldering Lake Part 3 (feat. Leave)
26 - Irithyll Part 1 (feat. Leave)
27 - Irithyll Part 2 (feat. Leave)
28 - Irithyll Part 3 (feat. Leave)
29 - Irithyll Dungeon Part 1 (feat. Leave)
30 - Irithyll Dungeon Part 2 (The Rat Video) (feat. Leave)
31 - Profaned Capital (feat. Leave)
32 - Upper Irithyll (feat. LevelZeroBadger)
33 - Anor Londo (feat. LevelZeroBadger)
34 - Consumed King's Garden (feat. LevelZeroBadger)
35 - Untended Graves (feat. Leave)
36 - Archdragon Peak Part 1 (feat. Leave)
37 - Archdragon Peak Part 2 (feat. Leave)
38 - Upper High Wall Part 1 (feat. Leave)
39 - Upper High Wall Part 2 (feat. Leave)
40 - Grand Archives Part 1 (feat. Leave)

Bonus Videos

Bonus 01 - Patch 1.73

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Reserved because DS3 is a pretty long game

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, this looks interesting. I do not remember - does Gundyr have those trails of fire in the regular game? Those seem unfamiliar.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Interesting, out of all the Dark souls, 3 is the only the one I ever beat, so it'll be fun to find all the difference this mod has.

Unrelated; but did you give up on that South park LP? Or did I miss that being finished.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Pixeltendo posted:

Unrelated; but did you give up on that South park LP? Or did I miss that being finished.
I think what DN said to me way back then was that he remembered the game was only ever gonna get more mean-spirited, and didn't feel like dealing with that. (Someone else has started LPing it though.) DN's SSLP energies have since moved onto a different game.

As for this one, I'm personally quite keen to see what I'm in for here.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Okay, this looks interesting. I do not remember - does Gundyr have those trails of fire in the regular game? Those seem unfamiliar.

I don't believe he does. Those trails of fire are actually what's causing curse buildup in the fight, too!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

02 - Hellrun Part 1

Time to sequence break like crazy, put our weapon through its paces, and waste 5 free level ups.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Interesting looking mod. Love that guns are strength-based ranged weapons.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

03 - Hellrun Part 2

The Hellrun concludes with a trip through like a good 80% of the Catacombs of Carthus.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Does anyone else notice a weird "clinking" sound whenever DoubleNegative does a voice over? I originally thought it was part of the background ambient music, but it only happens during the voice-overs. It's minor, but I do notice it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Dress for the job you want not the job you have. Somebody's gotta wear the armor

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

That's my ceiling fan. I didn't realize it was guest starring in my commentary at the time, and going back to re-record was too much work. I've since turned it off while recording! So starting with Friday's update, there shouldn't be any more clinking in the background.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

thecluckmeme posted:

Dress for the job you want not the job you have. Somebody's gotta wear the armor
I thought that was DS2, where someone beat Sir Alonne and got the special death animation while wearing a suit of armor.

Speaking of which Iron Keep in Scholar without a bow isn't too hard, you just have to be alert and prepared to pull back. Original Iron Keep on the other hand had snipers shooting tree trunks at the unwary.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

DoubleNegative posted:

That's my ceiling fan. I didn't realize it was guest starring in my commentary at the time, and going back to re-record was too much work. I've since turned it off while recording! So starting with Friday's update, there shouldn't be any more clinking in the background.

I does add an interesting ambiance to the dungeons and catacombs through.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

04 - High Wall of Lothric Part 1

We actually barely spend any time in the High Wall in this video. Most of it is spent in three other zones.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I finally got off my rear end and did some grinding to max out the ladle in my endgame file. This thing is insane.

This is the basic ladle. Decent but nothing to write home about. Good for any build, though!

This is after pouring 28 estus shards into the sucker. It deals a consistent 400 damage on the skeleton "training dummy" in Firelink. And when I was killing random hollows outside, it was just ruining them. One put his shield up and a single strike from it completely poise broke his rear end. It also uses barely any stamina when maxed out. But there's no way you're getting 28 estus shards without going midway through New Game+2 or grinding like hell on NG+0.

If my stats seem absurdly high, it's because my character is wearing a +5 Ring of Favor, which adds 30 to Vigor, Endurance, and Vitality.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Today's got two videos!

05 - High Wall of Lothric Part 2
Bonus 01 - Patch 1.73

The second video is a look at the old version of the mod and the insanely fast firing speed you could achieve. No commentary, though.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

06 - High Wall of Lothric Part 3

The Pursuer intrudes...

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Video description: Making Dark Souls 1 veterans angry with just one item found lying on the ground
I stand by my reaction to that moment.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

07 - High Wall of Lothric Part 4

The videos I was thinking of are all linked in the description. There's about seven of them and they go into pretty insane detail regarding the world's layout. If you only watch one, though, then you should probably watch Illusory Wall's video. It's by far the longest, but it's also the most comprehensive.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

08 - Undead Settlement Part 1

Even more sequence breaking. When the game makes it this easy, I can't not do it!

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
This LP has convinced me to install Cinders. Having fun playing sorcerer and actually using spells as my main weapon.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Iceblocks posted:

This LP has convinced me to install Cinders. Having fun playing sorcerer and actually using spells as my main weapon.

God, right? Being a battle mage is fun and all, but sometimes you just want to specialize in being a caster. Keep us updated on how it's going!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

09 - Undead Settlement Part 2

Lore

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
In terms of Dark Souls III lore, there's another Soulsborne series LP currently ongoing that delves rather deep into lore questions, to put it mildly. On the whole it's more about analyzing thematic connections throughout the entire series, but there is an update about the Undead Settlement tree corpses in particular; this one, to be precise.

As for the "taxi service", I think the cage-carrier is actually the only enemy of that type in the entire Settlement who has a cage on his back rather than a wooden plank, so there is some possibility to piece together that the rhyme refers to him in particular. It's an extremely strange decision to lock that whole covenant off if the player defeats the area boss before figuring it out, though.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Santa Sally has visited the thread! Because we were so good, we have received a new title and tag.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Just popping in to say that there's no new update yet! What with the Holidays and other such nonsense, finding time to actually comment on a few videos has been difficult. So there will be a slight delay!

While I'll try to get it out as soon as possible, I don't expect it will happen before the new year.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

The mod looks pretty rad. I never got around to playing 3, I'm guessing it'd be better to play the vanilla game before this?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Jade Rider posted:

The mod looks pretty rad. I never got around to playing 3, I'm guessing it'd be better to play the vanilla game before this?

I wouldn't pick up the game for the mod, but if you already have it and have yet to play it, there's no reason why you couldn't do it for a first playthrough. Just be wary of the different spots that it lets you "commune" because those are sequence breaks that aren't in the vanilla game. And some of them are extremely nasty.

For instance: the tiny bit of the final DLC that I showed off for a whole 10 minutes? Normally you can only get there from a warp that's placed basically outside of the final boss's arena. Or by beating the final boss of the first DLC, who is widely regarded to be pretty difficult. And Cinders lets you sequence break there from the first actual area of the game!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

10 - Undead Settlement Part 3

After nearly 3 months of break time, this LP finally returns! Eevee's life has become too busy to commentate, so I've managed to convince Leave to step up in his place.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Consider me happy that this is back :3 I can't wait to see what horrors this mod added to the Greatwood fight.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Hey, awesome, it's back! And I've actually beaten the vanilla game now so I could give this mod a shot :toot:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

10 - Undead Settlement Part 4

Carpator Diei posted:

Consider me happy that this is back :3 I can't wait to see what horrors this mod added to the Greatwood fight.

Surprisingly little! The fight is still pretty straightforward.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Wow, that boss really stands no chance against powerful ranged weapons, huh?

Regarding Dark Souls 3 modding, there's an interesting mod in the works that attempts to restore as much of the alpha version as possible; apparently the game progression and world layout used to be vastly different:
https://twitter.com/antyherowow/status/1354897933154574340
https://twitter.com/antyherowow/status/1354561401583509506
https://twitter.com/antyherowow/status/1354408151341264906 (contains Bloodborne spoilers)
https://twitter.com/antyherowow/status/1354776751629590529

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

It's interesting seeing the skeleton of the game in that design document, especially stuff that would eventually become the second DLC.

I'm kinda keen to try that mod out when it releases!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Carpator Diei posted:

Wow, that boss really stands no chance against powerful ranged weapons, huh?

Regarding Dark Souls 3 modding, there's an interesting mod in the works that attempts to restore as much of the alpha version as possible; apparently the game progression and world layout used to be vastly different:
https://twitter.com/antyherowow/status/1354897933154574340
https://twitter.com/antyherowow/status/1354561401583509506
https://twitter.com/antyherowow/status/1354408151341264906 (contains Bloodborne spoilers)
https://twitter.com/antyherowow/status/1354776751629590529

That mod looks pretty cool, and I will gladly commentate over it.

And y'know, I can't help but feel most creatures would stand no chance against being shot in the balls repeatedly with exploding AK rounds. Call me crazy, I know, but it's just a feeling I've got.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

12 - Road of Sacrifices Part 1

We start the week with a new area!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

13 - Road of Sacrifices Part 2

This area is really short. At least Monday will be another boss fight. :confuoot:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
I'm aware how this is going to sound, but I really think that the story (not the plot) of the Souls games fundamentally wouldn't work if it was just laid out like a history book, because the ambiguity of certain past events and metaphorical journeys is such an important part of it all. A lot of the questions raised by the short snippets you get wouldn't even be interesting anymore if there was some clear, developer-approved answer to them, rather than hints that deliberately allow for multiple interpretations. That's why I'm a bit worried about that Demon's Souls TV show; in my opinion, the worst thing you could do to a world like the one of Demon's Souls would be to give it the Star Wars treatment, with tons of side-stories set in a shared universe that explain every little implied detail (I'm not saying that that's intrinsically bad, but something that works for one sort of story doesn't necessarily work for another). Though I'm open to be proven wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Dark Souls lore is vague on purpose, if I remember correctly. You have to dig deep into all the poo poo going on and piece it together because that was how Miyazaki did it himself to read western fantasy with a language barrier. It wasn't all spelled out for him, so he tried to recreate that experience of having to go out of your way to understand the story because there's just a disconnect of foundational knowledge required to understand things at face value.

It just so happened that Demon's Souls got internationally popular through its cult following, so we get a bunch of western medieval fantasy stuff with vague explanations and dashes of eastern mythology handed back to a Western audience that has a familiar look and feel to traditional RPGs, but it's purposefully cryptic. So we look at knights with longswords and shields fighting western-styled dragons and ask "so what the gently caress is Astoria? I have to read item descriptions just to find out why knights with longswords are fighting dragons?"