Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

From memory trolls outpace most standard infantry as well don't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah they're surprisingly fast like speed 54 or close to that

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Playing a Vortex ME campaign, so far it's the easiest time I've had but it's fun to be very explosively destructive. Making -10k a turn, but it's fine cause I sacked Elf cities for 120k. Orconomics.

Settra really likes the elves. He undid our military access and non-aggression pacts and declared war over me sacking Lothern and a few other places.

I feel like trolls don't really tend to break in general as long as you place them near regular troops.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
man im playing Clan Mors in ME on VH/VH and fighting Dwarves and Lizards i'm tempted to bump battle difficulty down for the first time in a while

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
mamma mia that was a quote not an edit

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Elukka posted:

Playing a Vortex ME campaign, so far it's the easiest time I've had but it's fun to be very explosively destructive. Making -10k a turn, but it's fine cause I sacked Elf cities for 120k. Orconomics.

Settra really likes the elves. He undid our military access and non-aggression pacts and declared war over me sacking Lothern and a few other places.

I feel like trolls don't really tend to break in general as long as you place them near regular troops.

Weird, every time I played Grom, I got Settra in a defensive alliance where he would keep the elves off my lawn.

As for trolls, and monstrous infantry in general, it's really useful to stick them in a blob with regular infantry. It keeps them from getting swarmed but still lets them do their splash attacks on the enemy blob. A unit of goblins and trolls will usually outperform 2 units of big'uns, even if they cost the same. This goes double for tanky/regenerating monstrous infantry like trolls/skin wolves/treekin.

A useful explainer on splash attacks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thWs9MQB7DA

The Atomic Man-Boy fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 20, 2020

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I feel like Tomb Kings are definitely the most 'bro' of all the races, probably mostly because they actually like it when you become powerful.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ELI PORTER posted:

man im playing Clan Mors in ME on VH/VH and fighting Dwarves and Lizards i'm tempted to bump battle difficulty down for the first time in a while

I did this once waaaay back when and it was a big reason why I resolved to not play on VH battle difficulty anymore. It really exacerbates the campaign unit balance issues and pushes the player towards cheesing.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Everyone should watch this moment from the Faction Wars last night (timestapped at 1:30 mins in, it's a long rear end vid):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9Uj44ah0ss&t=5400s

Norsca vs. Tomb Kings, a last ditch effort by the Tomb Kings to stay in the game, and the one remaining bone giant snipes a very damaged Wulfrik clean off his horse. Truly poetry in motion.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Seems like the growth changes in this last patch hyperfucked the Tomb Kings. It takes so long to get to t4/t5 now that they basically only get a handful of ushabti and maybe a tomb scorpion or two by like... turn 125.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Rabelais D posted:

Everyone should watch this moment from the Faction Wars last night (timestapped at 1:30 mins in, it's a long rear end vid):

Norsca vs. Tomb Kings, a last ditch effort by the Tomb Kings to stay in the game, and the one remaining bone giant snipes a very damaged Wulfrik clean off his horse. Truly poetry in motion.

:drat: Wulfrik got Wulfrekt.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rabelais D posted:

This faction war was incredibly good in general and full of ridiculously clutch moments.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I see that the "declare WAAAGH!!!" button still crashes the game if you press it into a long playthrough.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Kanos posted:

This faction war was incredibly good in general and full of ridiculously clutch moments.

Yeah, it was pretty great. Shame that the final matchup wasn't very even on paper though (don't want to spoil it). I don't think any of the true meme builds made it past the first round either IIRC, although a couple came very close. Turin's been talking about trying a legendary lord tournament in the near future, which would be pretty great.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Gonkish posted:

Seems like the growth changes in this last patch hyperfucked the Tomb Kings. It takes so long to get to t4/t5 now that they basically only get a handful of ushabti and maybe a tomb scorpion or two by like... turn 125.

yeah the tomb kings math doesnt really work. not enough armies, too many lovely units for way too long and the constructs aren't as dominant as they should be.

ushabti should be a top tier unit but they're only pretty good.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Growth changes are fairly unpleasant with the single settlement provinces in general too (aside from WE), and I'm somewhat surprised it's such an issue now given Hell Pit being the Mortal Empires start location for one of the advertised factions. Like, even with Skaven cheating (i.e. raze settlement and refound), it just takes insanely long to get up to even T4, let alone T5. I'd imagine it's even worse with settlements where you don't have that option (like The Galleon's Graveyard, or rebuilding places like the Black Pyramid).

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ammanas posted:

yeah the tomb kings math doesnt really work. not enough armies, too many lovely units for way too long and the constructs aren't as dominant as they should be.

ushabti should be a top tier unit but they're only pretty good.

Constructs are nice and all but they rarely feel useful to mass. You can get hella mileage out of simple skeleton chariots, archers and basic spear troops buffed with Pha's protection (the best spell). Spear troops to hold the line, archers to drown high value targets in arrows and chariots to massacre all infantry. Constructs are mainly for heavy duty AP, but for countering heavy infantry rear charging chariots also work. On normal battle difficulty that stands up to most things except massed elite cav or other doom stacks late game. But late game you can often send two stacks of poo poo tier troops for each of their good ones so it usually works out anyway.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

right but thats majorly loving boring. the constructs have awesome designs and are fun to use

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I just did a TK campaign right before T&T and they still feel fine to me. The constructs aren't "mass a thousand of these and win by A moving" like lizardmen dinos, but they still feel good to me. Ushabti do a whole lot of heavy lifting for a T3 unit. I think the only construct in the list that absolutely doesn't feel worth the effort to get is the Hierotitan(which is admittedly extremely disappointing because it's a giant egyptian robot with eye lasers so it should be a lot less mediocre than it is).

Then again, my favorite armies in TWW2 are combined arms forces with a lot of different moving parts that work together, and that's Tomb Kings to a T. To me it's more boring if you throw out most of your list once you get the high tier pieces.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
It's kind of whatever to me because every time I play tomb kings the campaign is over before I can field more than token amount of constructs, 99% of my battles are just skeletons, chariots, and maybe a casket.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

It does seem silly that you'd need what, 4 Tier 5 cities to get 4 ushabti great bows.

If they just +1 on every building's unit cap that might work decently.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I am currently playing a ME Khatep campaign and they definitely need something to speed up their growth a bit. I have 3 armies and still no T4 units besides what I started with. Perhaps they could reduce the cost of their growth building and/or double its effect or something.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Hello thread, I just picked up a new gaming PC after being massively out of date and only playing indies and consoles for a long, long time. I just picked up this game and the free DLCs (and ended up getting Markus Wulfhart) as I was a huge fan of the series in the way back (last one I played was Medieval II, but I had the most experience playing was Rome I all the way back in like 2005). I've been playing and loving the game for about a week or two but had a few questions or issues I was hoping to get some feedback on. I've only played the vortex campaign, normal/normal difficulty.

1) Any high elf campaign I play crashes when I get enough waystones for the first ritual. I hover over the ritual once the tooltip pops and immediately CtD. I've seen a few people post about this and have tried most of the no-brainer fixes I could think of (running as admin, running compatibility mode, verifying game files, driver checks, etc.). Anyone else deal with something like this?

2) I am obviously a sack of poo poo on the tactical side but am getting better. I have a tendency to just form two lines, melee in front of ranged, and let it sit like that. I've finally wrapped my head around moving archers out and to the flanks to shoot enemies in the side and back instead of milling about and waiting to shoot enemies that are already running from the front line. I'm also getting better at using vanguard units to distract and outflank enemies (I went from hating Markus' hunters and pistoliers to wanting two units or more to buy time). What is the best way to line up high elf and empire lines at the start of a standard battle? Should I checkerboard squares of them? Build individual groups of mixed-use infantry by making like a left flank group and and right flank group? I'm starting to realize just lining up and going toe-for-toe with lizardmen is a bad proposition.

3) How many provinces should I aim to control and when is it better to sack versus occupy versus loot and occupy? I can do okay for 40 or 50 turns in any campaign then I gradually get my poo poo pushed in. Part of this is I know I'm being too passive in the early, early game but part of this is my chalking it up to being literally stupid as gently caress. I have 40 hours played and just realized you don't have to be garrisoned in a settlement to do local recruitment, just being in the province is enough. I can usually get two provinces and then maybe pick off another that's a one-settlement province (one of the gates for elves or the blessed something-or-other for Wulfhart), then I get pushed back and end up spread too thin and end up taking the same settlements back and forth forever while they get damaged and razed to poo poo and therefore p. much useless to me after the fourth pass-around.

4) How many nobles and lords should I aim to have by the end of say, turn 20 or 25? I usually have two of each but I'm starting to see how valuable being able to chain "assault troop" or "assault garrison" in a single turn is. I do like how Wulfhart gets a bunch of good ones for free, that was my first time having like 6 heroes.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rideANDxORdie posted:

Hello thread, I just picked up a new gaming PC after being massively out of date and only playing indies and consoles for a long, long time. I just picked up this game and the free DLCs (and ended up getting Markus Wulfhart) as I was a huge fan of the series in the way back (last one I played was Medieval II, but I had the most experience playing was Rome I all the way back in like 2005). I've been playing and loving the game for about a week or two but had a few questions or issues I was hoping to get some feedback on. I've only played the vortex campaign, normal/normal difficulty.

1) Any high elf campaign I play crashes when I get enough waystones for the first ritual. I hover over the ritual once the tooltip pops and immediately CtD. I've seen a few people post about this and have tried most of the no-brainer fixes I could think of (running as admin, running compatibility mode, verifying game files, driver checks, etc.). Anyone else deal with something like this?

2) I am obviously a sack of poo poo on the tactical side but am getting better. I have a tendency to just form two lines, melee in front of ranged, and let it sit like that. I've finally wrapped my head around moving archers out and to the flanks to shoot enemies in the side and back instead of milling about and waiting to shoot enemies that are already running from the front line. I'm also getting better at using vanguard units to distract and outflank enemies (I went from hating Markus' hunters and pistoliers to wanting two units or more to buy time). What is the best way to line up high elf and empire lines at the start of a standard battle? Should I checkerboard squares of them? Build individual groups of mixed-use infantry by making like a left flank group and and right flank group? I'm starting to realize just lining up and going toe-for-toe with lizardmen is a bad proposition.

3) How many provinces should I aim to control and when is it better to sack versus occupy versus loot and occupy? I can do okay for 40 or 50 turns in any campaign then I gradually get my poo poo pushed in. Part of this is I know I'm being too passive in the early, early game but part of this is my chalking it up to being literally stupid as gently caress. I have 40 hours played and just realized you don't have to be garrisoned in a settlement to do local recruitment, just being in the province is enough. I can usually get two provinces and then maybe pick off another that's a one-settlement province (one of the gates for elves or the blessed something-or-other for Wulfhart), then I get pushed back and end up spread too thin and end up taking the same settlements back and forth forever while they get damaged and razed to poo poo and therefore p. much useless to me after the fourth pass-around.

4) How many nobles and lords should I aim to have by the end of say, turn 20 or 25? I usually have two of each but I'm starting to see how valuable being able to chain "assault troop" or "assault garrison" in a single turn is. I do like how Wulfhart gets a bunch of good ones for free, that was my first time having like 6 heroes.
1) No idea, sorry

2) Archer units don't give a gently caress about line of sight so there's no reason to do anything besides making a melee line and ranged line with them. At most its worth moving your archers to flank if the enemy has silver shields or they're exceptionally fast and shooting bronze shields, otherwise just keep them there. Gunpowder weapons need to have clear line of sight so checkerboarding them works a lot better, or doing the "swing around the flanks" thing you're doing.

3) This really, really depends, and the answer is usually "as many as you can while being able to defend them". In most cases, that means getting settlements to T3 ASAP so they can get walls on them before pushing out to secure new areas. I typically (as HElves and Empire, anyway) only sack areas I don't plan on using or if I have a lord I don't need to do something with immediately and can afford to have them repeatedly sack a place I don't care about to build experience. Once I'm done I raze it.

4) Varies greatly, but if you have the cash, maxing out on heroes can be nice.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I am currently playing a ME Khatep campaign and they definitely need something to speed up their growth a bit. I have 3 armies and still no T4 units besides what I started with. Perhaps they could reduce the cost of their growth building and/or double its effect or something.

Same but Khalida, everything I've played post-patch feels noticeably slower, but TK feel a level beyond that where I stop for the night and I'm on turn 70-something with one Tier 4 settlement after maxing growth buildings everywhere. I can't even say I've brain drangled myself because I didn't even know about the growth rate change until it was just mentioned here.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

EthanSteele posted:

Same but Khalida, everything I've played post-patch feels noticeably slower, but TK feel a level beyond that where I stop for the night and I'm on turn 70-something with one Tier 4 settlement after maxing growth buildings everywhere. I can't even say I've brain drangled myself because I didn't even know about the growth rate change until it was just mentioned here.

Maybe it's somewhat on purpose so that people use that rites hero that occupies ruins at a higher level?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I've been playing casually a bit and roleplaying as a really angry tree and…yikes, Drycha is insane.

So she gets to push ambush chance extremely high, gets vanguard deployment for basically everything, her war hounds murder other faction's equivalents, and she gets an AOE Net of Amyntok equivalent that takes no time to cast on both her and Branchwraiths.

In ambush battles (almost all battles are ambush battles) she gets to have dryads on top of enemy cavalry before they have time to move.

It's hilarious, but drat. I'd expect to take some losses from this army, especially that cavalry. Instead, it's an utterly one-sided slaughter.

I think I won't finish the campaign though. There aren't exactly many different army builds I can see using…

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The low fire arc for vampire coast is such a pain in the rear end. Like most battles I just end up in melee range with most of my missiles because they can't shoot over the million tiny bumps everywhere.

That and half the maps are "giant hill in the middle"

edit: Also does "fire at will" just sometimes bug out? I'm got some handgunners just standing around with clear line of sight on multiple enemies...but they're just chillin until i manually click an enemy.

does "guard mode" prevent units from shooting in some situations?

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 21, 2020

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The preliminary changelog for the new SFO update is out.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Is there a reason to give Black Ark Admirals the Immortal trait? I thought they already were immortal, and the skill doesn’t suggest anything like wound recovery time reduction.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dr Christmas posted:

Is there a reason to give Black Ark Admirals the Immortal trait? I thought they already were immortal, and the skill doesn’t suggest anything like wound recovery time reduction.

IIRC the black ark and its upgrades are immortal but the lord gets replaced with a level one goober if he dies in battle.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dr Christmas posted:

I thought Admirals had the immortal skill automatically? Or is that just Lokhir's admirals?

The admirals can't die but if the ark is destroyed it takes a long time to grow them back up to level 5.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Sounds like they're giving Mors some passive upgrade mechanics for Warlords and Clanrats. Good on them, Mors is horribly bland at this point and needs something to stay cool, much less relevant

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

quote:

- Wulfrik can now insult nearby Legendary Lords to force them to attack him. If you succeed in winning you will get a special reward that depends on the Lord’s faction. You will also get God's Favor that can be spent on God's Gifts in a new panel for Wulfrik’s faction, these gifts can be used to buff Norscans, Tribes or Wulfrik himself with differing effects.

- Throgg can now adapt to his enemy, learning to use other factions tricks to his own advantage. Each time you fight a race you will get missions, finishing these unlocks new technologies with strong factionwide buffs.

- Trophy Heads, new mechanic for Queek; gaining Legendary Lords traits grant Queek's Awe that can be used in new panel for Warlord, Clanrats and Warcries.

- Skrolk: Plagues generate new resources and have army abilities unlockable in new tech trees.

These seem potentially cool.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

sfoooooooowns

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Worth noting that the update is only a quarter done so that changelog's almost certainly gonna get larger.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's a shame that there is little incentive for CA to go back to old campaigns and add mechanics to the more bland ones unless there is DLC to be sold, like vampire hunting fights for Khalida, or more then 2 legendary lord choices for Norsca and the weakest generic lord in the game.

Good on the modders though.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Is there a vortex overlayed in mortal empires map image somewhere? Like I know they’re different and vortex has a bigger north/south America but how much bigger?

My google fu has failed me

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's a shame that there is little incentive for CA to go back to old campaigns and add mechanics to the more bland ones unless there is DLC to be sold, like vampire hunting fights for Khalida, or more then 2 legendary lord choices for Norsca and the weakest generic lord in the game.

Good on the modders though.

To be fair to CA they've been making steady progress on reworking things over time. They aren't going to touch old campaigns (aside from Mortal Empires), but they've reworked all the base factions from game 1 (and now Wood Elves too). So long as people remain willing to spend on DLC of any kind I expect that CA will continue to make good faith efforts at bringing everything up to meet their ever-increasing standards. Twisted and Twilight opened up a lot of potential, in that it is now possible that we'll see more development on the DLC-added races in the future. I think my personal ideal would be for the game 1 base factions to eventually end up at 6 LLs each (to match the game 2 factions) and that all DLC factions get to 4. Pending whatever comes out of game 3, of course - it's not out of the question that TW:WH3 will raise the bar once again in some fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really want them to rework quest objectives for game 1 factions.