Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Slightly less OSHA: Arthur M Anderson saluting the lost Edmund Fitzgerald on 11/10 the day it was lost.
Anderson was behind Fitzgerald by about 10 miles when she disappeared below the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDA8nF02Xy0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

what is even happening?

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Look, I'm sure it's over-engineered, there's gotta be a factor of safety, it'll be fine. It's not like it was made as cheaply as possible, right?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Ablative jack stands

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Memento posted:

I've worked in open pit mines as big or bigger than that one, and you have radar and lidar systems set up to monitor pitwall creep every second of every day. Movement of basically any sort is grounds for instant evacuation of the whole pit. In a country with proper worker protections, that's not a mine anymore, that's a large, expensive hole in the ground that is off limits to everyone.

Okay, maybe I did see OSHA poo poo going on then, because it looks like slides on the pit walls are pretty common:

For an idea of scale, if you click on that one to get the large size, you can see a couple lines of shipping containers. Granted, I have no idea how any of this works so maybe this is a disused section.

Here's one of those big fuckoff mining dump trucks with the lousy visibility.

Not sure what any of this is.

I believe this is drilling so they can dump in ANFO and blow another chunk of rock into bits small enough to be loaded into the said, aforementioned big fuckoff mining trucks.

I really cannot overstate the hugeness of this whole enterprise.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Hot drat those are some nice pics!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Hot drat those are some nice pics!

seconding.

also:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Driving would be safer if everyone got shamed by a pair of dogs every time they hosed up.

Better or worse than the Harbor Freight jack stands?

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

I don’t like the uncovered conductors below the breakers :magical:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Phanatic posted:

Okay, maybe I did see OSHA poo poo going on then, because it looks like slides on the pit walls are pretty common:

Looking at that wall and the scale of it, that's just loose scree from the walls, it doesn't look like it's actually the wall itself moving. Freeport McMoran run that mine and have a radar system tracking wall movement, so I assume that's within their tolerances and they've factored it in to operations. Here (PDF warning) is a safety alert from 2014 when one of their radars hit the alarm to say there was movement, and it turned out the movement was in the radar itself due to a bracket being dislodged in high winds.

Phanatic posted:

I believe this is drilling so they can dump in ANFO and blow another chunk of rock into bits small enough to be loaded into the said, aforementioned big fuckoff mining trucks.

This is grade control drilling, where you have a bunch of reverse circulation drills that you step out every (x) meters to take samples into the orebody itself. You do this once you've already defined the extent of the orebody to fill in the inside of it with more data, so you can make decisions about where to blast next to move the ore to the mill. You use RC drills because while they're not as accurate (might get drift of 8-10 meters per 100m drilled, as opposed to <1 for diamond drilling) but it's much, much faster. I've drilled 400 meters a day with an RC rig, where diamond you might get 60-80m.

Once you've drilled it, you throw one of these bad boys down the hole to take surveys to see how far you drifted, so you can incorporate the data into your 3D model. Best time of day for the geologist on the rig, because it takes 1-1.5 hours and there's not a lot you can do to help them, so you tidy your samples, get your logging done, then grab a bite to eat and sit on your backside for the first time all day.

Memento fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 22, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Selklubber posted:

I don’t like the uncovered conductors below the breakers :magical:

*Buss bars

Still 99% sure that's someone taking vanity shots of their brand new electric installation and non of that's energized.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Elviscat posted:

*Bussy bars

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/xM5oefH.mp4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

They have now angered the machine

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

Slightly less OSHA: Arthur M Anderson saluting the lost Edmund Fitzgerald on 11/10 the day it was lost.
Anderson was behind Fitzgerald by about 10 miles when she disappeared below the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDA8nF02Xy0

If any of you are ever in Duluth and get the chance to see one of the big ships come into the harbor, I highly recommend it. Seeing the lift bidge operate even without big ships going under it is drat impressive. There's also a museum ship there, William A. Irvin that can be toured and is definitely worth the time.

Also, it's kinda nuts how long those lakers remain in service. That video is from this year, on the 45th anniversary of the sinking, and Arthur M. Anderson has been in service since 1952.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

There is totally some OSHA in here - the last dude wearing open toed shoes. None of them are wearing boots at all anyway (should they be wearing steel toed boots around forklifts/heavy pallets etc.? I would think so)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kith posted:

seconding.

also:

Oh dear.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Yeah. Extremely cursed. I got anxious just looking at it. I want to know where this is so I can never go there. :ohdear:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

That’s not very typical, I’d like to make that point.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Memento posted:

That’s not very typical, I’d like to make that point.

Well how is it untypical?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

LifeSunDeath posted:

what is even happening?

Looks like he is unchaining the log boom, logs get transported in a big floatilla of logs that have a sort of enclosure chained together to keep the logs from floating off.

Dude is pretty goddamn spry! I dunno if that is the accepted way of unchaining the boom, seems fairly risky. You fall off and the logs can smush u.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

priznat posted:

Looks like he is unchaining the log boom, logs get transported in a big floatilla of logs that have a sort of enclosure chained together to keep the logs from floating off.

Dude is pretty goddamn spry! I dunno if that is the accepted way of unchaining the boom, seems fairly risky. You fall off and the logs can smush u.

Logging is the #1 most dangerous job in America.

Police aren't even in the top 10, for the record. It's all blue collar laborers like roofers, steel mill workers, and lawn care workers (mostly due to car crashes from the constant driving) with pilots and flight engineers skewing in simply because there's so few of them relative to fatalities.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Broke: Back the Blue

Woke: Back the Neon

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

priznat posted:

oh drat, never knew they chained em together, I love that log rolling is like a difficult county fair thing, but there are in fact people who professionally run on logs.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Broke: Back the Blue

Woke: Back the Neon

I would buy a Thin Reflective Line flag

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Cthulu Carl posted:

I would buy a Thin Reflective Line flag

So would a bunch of military officers and senior NCOs.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The thin reflective line flag represents the ideals of safety and PPE, lockout and tagout. Although it has great meaning for the fraternal feelings of construction and industrial workers for others in the profession, it is not reserved for use only by construction and industrial workers, and may be used by others, like Army recruits that have to wear it because they constantly wander into traffic looking for crayons to eat.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Elviscat posted:

Army recruits that have to wear it because they constantly wander into traffic looking for crayons to eat.

*Marines

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lol.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2020/08/05/someone-finally-made-edible-crayons-for-marines/

quote:

After years of confronting ridicule for being an illiterate branch whose personnel enjoy a nice wax snack after learning how to war from coloring books, Marines everywhere can rejoice — edible crayons have arrived.

The army is the one that would give out comic books on how to maintain poo poo.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Memento posted:

*Marines

They can't have all the delicious snacks to themselves, Crayola makes enough to share.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I wrote my weirdest near miss paperwork ever this weekend:

Yes that is a GOD drat SWORD.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 22, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought it was the knife strap-on from Se7en.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

lol that's the most mall ninja poo poo I've ever seen

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Hey, some of those were made by the guy who the industry's biggest awards are named for! :flashfact:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/that-time-will-eisner-drew-an-oversexed-m-16-comic-book-1584896794

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ruddiger posted:

I thought it was the knife strap-on from Se7en.

I don't think Trent Reznor would let that out of his personal collection that easily.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Azathoth posted:

If any of you are ever in Duluth and get the chance to see one of the big ships come into the harbor, I highly recommend it. Seeing the lift bidge operate even without big ships going under it is drat impressive. There's also a museum ship there, William A. Irvin that can be toured and is definitely worth the time.

Also, it's kinda nuts how long those lakers remain in service. That video is from this year, on the 45th anniversary of the sinking, and Arthur M. Anderson has been in service since 1952.

Yup. I grew up in Marquette, MI and we got a ship or two a day coming in at the big ore dock. I'm in the Twin Cities now, and I drive past the Irvin every time I go back home to visit, but I've never stopped. Gonna try to make a point to do that after this plague is over.

This is the Michipicoten at the dock in Marquette in October of this year. Entered service in 1952.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The freshwater of the Lakes is way less corrosive than the ocean so ships last a lot longer.

This one was in service from 1906 to 2014: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_St._Marys_Challenger

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Carlisle II was launched in 1917, and runs ferry service every day. Over saltwater even! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlisle_II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Nocheez posted:

Hypoxia is a helluva drug. I read Krakaurer's book as well as Anatoli's response (The Climb) and I think Anatoli was a real hero up there. There could easily have been more corpses from that storm.

Yeah. I get what Krakauer said about Anatoli going up without oxygen and coming down super fast, but I think if he committed any sins on the mountain they were more than expunged by the people he was able to save when the poo poo hit the fan.

My favorite mountaineering story of all time is (say it with me) the Belay. For those who don't know, in '53 a guy named Pete Schoening was part of an ascent on K2, which is slightly shorter but infinitely more dangerous than Everest. You can get short-roped up Everest if you're in decent cardiovascular health, but K2 eats legends alive. Anyway, one of the expedition members started suffering from pulmonary edema, so the remaining six climbers, roped together, were descending a particularly sheer portion of the mountain, bringing their sick teammate down on a stretcher.

And then the lead climber slipped. He began tumbling down the mountain. The second climber didn't notice in time, and the force of the rope yanked him off, too. The third climber went. Then the fourth. And the fifth.

Pete was the last guy. He saw all his teammates ping one by one off the face of the mountain and start falling. He saw the slack in the rope disappearing rapidly as the force of the falling climbers rocketed towards him.

Motherfucker plants his ice ax, wraps the rope around his shoulders, and holds on to the sick teammate. There's a massive wrench as the rope snaps taut... and he doesn't budge. He manages to belay five falling climbers as well as keep the sixth safe until everyone can get their bearings, get their axes and crampons back into the ice, and resume the descent. From that point on, people began suspecting dude was from Krypton or something.

Unfortunately, the sick climber didn't make it, but the other five did. Pete was actually on Everest in 1996 with his son Klev when the bad poo poo happened, but he called off his attempt when he started getting an irregular heartbeat, so they weren't up high when everything went south.