Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
For those who are on the verge of buying this on PC.
Ubisoft is doing a big winter sale right now with -33% percent minus an additional 20% for a promocode celebrating that 2020 is almost gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Caidin posted:

How well does it run on the switch?

I’ve got about 25 hours in this on the Switch and I have to say that it runs “alright”

It tries to maintain 30fps(but doesn’t) and the draw distance is much, much shorter. Colors are also muted and the whole screen is kind of muddy like any other major switch release.

That being said, this game kicks rear end and I love being able to play it in bed.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This game is incredibly charming and it's sad it's getting buried in the mountain of other releases

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I am 100% finished now. What an enjoyable game. The final story beats were a bit weird, though.
"By the way, you're a half god and Hermes's daughter."
One minute later: "Surprise twist, your father is actually Zeus."

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

victrix posted:

This game is incredibly charming and it's sad it's getting buried in the mountain of other releases

I felt burned out around 30 hours into AC Valhalla and turned out Immortals was just what I wanted instead . Its just bright and fun.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Only about 8 hours in but just realised you can cut fallen logs in half so you can throw them!

On a similar note, grabbing rocks out of the air after a giant threw them is great fun.

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."
I wasn't expecting for the game to actually be about Prometheus providing therapy to Zeus about his relationship with his children, but drat if that's not what I'm getting. The writing around the younger gods is surprisingly evocative, too, like when Fenyx comments that Aphrodite's essence smells of "embarrassment, power, and fear."

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
I just finished the game at about 35 hours. I did not complete all of the vaults, but I would imagine about 80% of them. My bow and sword were fully upgraded, I forget my stats on the rest, although my armor was somewhat neglected. I thoroughly loved every aspect of this and scratched the itch that BotW didn't, mostly due to the charm of the characters in this along with weapons that don't break. I will go back to play Valhalla, but know that my thoughts will be lingering with this one for awhile.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I do think it is fantastic that a lot of the canned animations for things like opening a chest are not always the same and a little different. My favorite is when the portal just throws the coin in her face. I'm definitely glad I got this over Valhalla, I needed an nuAssCreed-lite experience and this is good enough.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

ghostinmyshell posted:

I do think it is fantastic that a lot of the canned animations for things like opening a chest are not always the same and a little different. My favorite is when the portal just throws the coin in her face. I'm definitely glad I got this over Valhalla, I needed an nuAssCreed-lite experience and this is good enough.

I do like when Fenyx tries to be cool by opening a chest with a hit from above, like she's activating a jukebox, only to hurt her hand. She's just such a geeky goof.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I am enjoying that Hermes is kinda reminding me of Scout from Team Fortress 2 except now it's ruining the game because I really wish he was just Scout from TF2

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
I was finally able to put some time into this game today. I put probably 30 hours into AssCredVikings and it felt like a job. Loading this up and seeing colors and the game not taking itself serious is such a refresh.

I just got to Aphrodite's palace. Is there any suggestion on things to focus on or is it just best to keep going after whatever catches my eye?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Just go as wild as you like. You can basically play 90% of the game without touching the main story, without any real repercussions.
In fact it's always great to do that for the occasional "go kill that guy, please."-"Oh that guy? Yeah I sorta did that already..."-dialogue. I do love how there are separate voice lines for those situations.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

The best part about this game is it correctly portrays Zeus as the big stupid rear end in a top hat he was in the mythology.

Also bears will rip you in half, god drat.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Just 100% finished this game, about 60 hrs on Hard. I think this game snuck onto my top 10 list of the year.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I want to like this but the voice acting is driving me to distraction, tbh

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

I want to like this but the voice acting is driving me to distraction, tbh

I think you can drop voice volume and just have subtitles on?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I must be crazy because I love the voice acting. It’s so goofy and earnest

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm loving this game. Totally scratches the check things off as you explore itch. I'm starting to get the feeling that you can max out Fenyx without doing all the stuff. Or even coming close to doing it all. That's nice.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

One of the demigod soldiers shouting “You have minmaxed well!” at Fenyx near the end of the game was the high point for me.

I loved playing it all the way through but I don’t think I have the endurance to see if new game+ changes the ending.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The game's 30bux now and I think that it's well-worth that price.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jimbot posted:

The game's 30bux now and I think that it's well-worth that price.

It's worth 60. One of the GOTY.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

gameplay is fine but they knew they had to spice it up with some ~charm~ and ~humor~ and missed terribly

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It's a drat shame too because with better direction and acting and some fifth wall breaking by calling out the player on every stupid mistake it could have been amazing.

The fakeout near the start set my expectations high for comedy but it did not follow up on it at all :/

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I like the corn in the dialogue but I think they should have played Zeus completely straight but kept the dialogue the same. I think the contrast of this dead-serious toned character saying nonsense would have been source of the comedy.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
This game is feeling more and more like a chore

I did just about everything in Aphrodite’s area (main quest, all vaults, pretty much every chest and challenge I came across) then explored outward into Athena and Ares’ spaces and just felt so tired at the prospect of doing it all again

I want to keep playing because I like the look of that northern-most mountain region. But I may stick to the main quest and skip a lot of the side stuff from here on

Also the cutscenes are so unbearable at times. Like there’s several levels of quippy banter piled onto every conversation. When I was chatting to Aphrodite in one scene, Hermes was there to banter with Fenyx about the conversation he was presently having with Aprhodite... then Zeus and Prometheus were bantering over the top of it. Aaaaaaaaaaaa pull back on the bantering!!

Also I have male Fenyx and tbh he, Hermes, Zeus and Prometheus all sound like the same voice actor putting various amounts of gravel and pep into the same forced Greek accent

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What is the statue ability? I've unlocked most of the blessings and don't see anything in the skills. Unless I missed it?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's a bird power.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Lone Badger posted:

It's a bird power.

Ah, then I definitely don't have it.

At least now I know where to look for it.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The statue ability is fun because it lets you cheat at a bunch of the puzzles and save tons of time but since you can only have one statue at a time and creating a new one makes the old statue crumble it can have disastrous effects if you try to cheat twice in the same vault.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

r u ready to WALK posted:

The statue ability is fun because it lets you cheat at a bunch of the puzzles and save tons of time but since you can only have one statue at a time and creating a new one makes the old statue crumble it can have disastrous effects if you try to cheat twice in the same vault.

I can see how it would be really helpful. I started some vault and got really annoyed/frustrated with getting all the poo poo on the plates and remember someone talking about a statue ability. Some of the level 3 vaults are pretty messed up. Especially when you have to move breakable stuff around and any mistake means a few minutes going back and starting over.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So as soon as you pick up the bird you immediately have access to every power your going to use and upgrade.

Amusingly you can cheese the Lyre challenges by just looking the answers up and maxing out your human skills in the first two hours.

I sort of wish there was some kind of ingame checklist showing how much crap there was in each region, instead of having to consult map genie every time.

If I was writing a plot for a sequel it would have a sense of humour, but no jokes. Ubisoft's brand of elbow-poking comedy ranks worse than their shameless business practices.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Hedrigall posted:

This game is feeling more and more like a chore

I did just about everything in Aphrodite’s area (main quest, all vaults, pretty much every chest and challenge I came across) then explored outward into Athena and Ares’ spaces and just felt so tired at the prospect of doing it all again

I want to keep playing because I like the look of that northern-most mountain region. But I may stick to the main quest and skip a lot of the side stuff from here on

Yeah - I've also realised after doing a ton of stuff in Aphrodite's area that most of the side stuff is really just there if you feel like it, or for if you want coins to upgrade skills or get some of the extra godly powers etc. I'm not a completionist so I don't mind skipping things, but it's not really clear at the start as to how much you do or don't need to do beyond the main quests.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Since this is on sale and I'm a huge BOTW fan, can I ask- can you absolutely just gently caress off most of the actual quests and such in this game and just wander around to explore and do whatever in this game or are you forced to do stuff in a linear fashion?

On of the greatest parts of enjoyment for me with BOTW is just going around the world and doing whatever I want while ignoring the primary storyline until I decide to do a shrine or quest on my timeline.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Since this is on sale and I'm a huge BOTW fan, can I ask- can you absolutely just gently caress off most of the actual quests and such in this game and just wander around to explore and do whatever in this game or are you forced to do stuff in a linear fashion?

On of the greatest parts of enjoyment for me with BOTW is just going around the world and doing whatever I want while ignoring the primary storyline until I decide to do a shrine or quest on my timeline.

You need to do a couple of the early main quest things to get the gliding ability (and it's useful to then do the bird companion quest) but then you can ignore the rest and do other things as much as you want AFAIK

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Danger - Octopus! posted:

You need to do a couple of the early main quest things to get the gliding ability (and it's useful to then do the bird companion quest) but then you can ignore the rest and do other things as much as you want AFAIK

Just like BOTW, so perfect. Thanks!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

This game is like BOTW, but good. It looks better than BOTW, has an actual story and characters, the combat is more engaging, and the puzzles are better, too. It's better than BOTW in every way. The exploration is much better as there is just way more stuff to look at and find all over the place.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh hey I paid ubisoft $30 and now they are demanding I make an account with them to play? Can I avoid this, I have zero interest in interacting with them at all

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I didn't have to log in to play. Might be a PC issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Im on a Switch

edit: apparently not. I wouldn't have spent a dime on this loving thing if I had known this.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 30, 2020