Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Bust Rodd posted:

That rules, Dreamcast was too pure for this world

It really was. Let me tell you a short story about how Sega completely won me over as a kid.

When my parents got me a Sega Genesis, it came with Sonic 1. Included in the box was a coupon-like-postcard where there was just a space for a name and age. I filled it out and put it in the mailbox.

Months later, for *free*, Sonic 2 was in the mailbox waiting for me. I remember taking the little sleeve out of the mailbox, and the cartridge being warm to the touch. My kid brain was like "wow, still warm from the factory" because I guess I thought video game development was a lot like baking cookies. The truth is it was probably just a warm day.

This made me a Sega kid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

While I definitely dabbled in burned discs in the PS1/DC era, I'm wayyyyyy too scared of trying anything shady in this age of always-online consoles.

There's no way in hell I'm risking having my PSN/XBox Live/Nintendo/Steam accounts banned with the sheer amount of purchases I have tied to them.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Digital sales only occur as they do because they have to compete with physical sales. A purely-digital closed platform like a console is a functional monopoly, and the platform-owner can set prices however please.

I am not gonna argue against this. This could very well happen one day maybe even on ps7.

Maybe even one day *shudders* streaming only platforms.

When it gets to that point we either will have to deal with it or just stop getting new games and huddle with our ps6, the last console to play games offline (and get games on Nintendo maybe).

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

There's no change to the status of my Walmart order, but the pending charge disappeared from my account. I feel a great foreboding...

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Xalidur posted:

There's no change to the status of my Walmart order, but the pending charge disappeared from my account. I feel a great foreboding...

This is normal, my friend. Wal-Mart still hasn't charged me, and the PS5 is sitting in my bedroom.
I think it's just a hold for the funds. My pending charge also disappeared like 4 days after I ordered it. Also like the other goon said, get the FedEx app. Wal-Mart didn't update for me until the day before delivery (it skipped straight to "Shipped") and FedEx knew a day earlier than that.

I'm saying this because I was also spooked. Don't fret!

E: I think maybe it's an issue because it's coming from a Wal-Mart in your state. Mine shipped from a place like 4 hours away, so after it was shipped, it was next day pretty much.

E: edited for maybe clarity

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 23, 2020

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Firstborn posted:

This is normal, my friend. Wal-Mart still hasn't charged me, and the PS5 is sitting in my bedroom.
I think it's just a hold for the funds. My pending charge also disappeared like 4 days after I ordered it. Also like the other goon said, get the FedEx app. Wal-Mart didn't update for me until the morning of delivery (it skipped straight to "Shipped") and FedEx knew a day earlier than that.

I'm saying this because I was also spooked when the pending charge disappeared. Don't fret!

E: I think maybe it's an issue because it's coming from a Wal-Mart in your state. Mine shipped from a place like 4 hours away, so after it was shipped, it was next day pretty much.

Now there's the reassurance I paid $10 a decade ago to get. Thank you. I will keep the faith!

Demon's Souls is sitting in my office, unopened, waiting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So I finished Bugsnax and holy gently caress does that game take a hard right turn at the eleventh hour :suspense:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
From looking around (I really dredged reddit and other forums for people in the Wal-Mart drop), I'd suspect you'll be playing your PS5 by like the 3rd my dude. I won't toxx it, but I have a good feeling!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So I finished Bugsnax and holy gently caress does that game take a hard right turn at the eleventh hour :suspense:

For all the goon hype, basically nobody talks about Bugsnax since it was released. But it is very good. Bungerbungerbungerbunger.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Its rad as hell. I loved that they basically introduced an entirely new set of tools at the very end, which felt a lot like "hey when we do the sequel were gonna have so much more to do!" I really hope they do Bugsnax 2

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

The PSN almost universally charges 50-100% more than a used physical copy.

And Best Buy will have stuff for $9-19 that the PSN puts on sale for $29.

You have to be a giant bozo or a millionaire with a weird aversion to physical media to justify wasting your time with the digital version.

Quite the opposite, sans financial incentive you'd be mad to buy physical copies since then you have to swap discs around and own more clutter.

I've got a big fat Steam account and all my Switch games are digital, digital is just vastly more convenient and doesn't require you to have more poo poo laying around.

That's a good point about major retailers shoveling new hard copies out the door at discounted prices tho.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget it's also a UHD Blu-Ray player as well.

That popped into my head briefly as a plus, but I've never once actually purchased a Blu-ray due to the miracle of the internet.

Do people still watch movies on physical media?

Ineffiable posted:

To offer a counterpoint, there is a massive digital sale on the PSN Store. Try looking at prices of games you're interested in and compare it to physical games copies off ebay/your preferred marketplace.

https://psprices.com/region-us/game/2273565/devil-may-cry-hd-collection-4se-bundle

For example the devil may cry 1-4 bundle is cheaper than Walmart or Amazon.

Immortals feynx rising is basically 33% off everywhere, even digital

Some games seem to be uncommon and hold their price on digital. Talos principle is way cheaper digital than physical.

https://psprices.com/region-us/game/114351/the-talos-principle-deluxe-edition

Dark souls remaster is actually as cheap digital as it is at Walmart.

https://psprices.com/region-us/game/2322034/dark-souls-remastered

The Last of Us Part 2 is the same price on Amazon and PSN store.

https://psprices.com/region-us/game/3230041/the-last-of-us-part-ii

People severely underestimate digital sales. Physical disc prices are quicker to drop as stock needs to be cleared out, but it's a delicate balance as they start getting cleared out, value goes back up as less copies are up for sale. You have to be a savvy shopper and keep an eye out for deals in whatever format you prefer. Just never buy full price unless you're gonna play it right away on day 1 and/or it has multiplayer that poo poo is always better to jump in sooner than later.

Thanks for the links and examples, I'll look into just how many legacy games I'm interested in and check it out.

Nintendo aside I haven't been a console boi since the PS2 era so if I get a PS5 it's going to be for the exclusives I can't get on PC, which limits much of the scope of what I'm interested in; basically PlayStation exclusives only since if it's on PC I don't care about the console version.

I'm also assuming that the PS4/PS5 require you to swap discs to play games even with the modern reality of game installs, which is annoying bullshit once you're used to the convenience of having a ready to go installed base of games you can freely swap between through a menu.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Firstborn posted:

From looking around (I really dredged reddit and other forums for people in the Wal-Mart drop), I'd suspect you'll be playing your PS5 by like the 3rd my dude. I won't toxx it, but I have a good feeling!

Maybe not so much, there's speculation that the $600 stimulus check for Americans will cause another resurgence of demand.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Bust Rodd posted:

The aesthetics of a discless PS5 standing perfectly straight up are unimpeachable, for this alone the disc version is haram

flat rear end v thicc rear end

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 23, 2020

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

This conversation has completely missed the fact that with disc games you can sell them when you finish them (in some cases making your ownership/play of them even cheaper). Can’t sell a digital copy.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Earlier in this thread a few people mentioned they received extra VR adapters for whatever reason. Would anyone be willing to send one my way? I'll cover shipping obviously. I requested mine this week but they said it might take months to ship.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
"Clutter"

- guy who never heard of a shelf

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The only way I could even remotely justify buying a PS5 was to replace my PS4, for which I own like 100 disc games.

quote:

Not movies so much, but I own a few boxed sets with lots of bonus material that I'd have no way to watch otherwise (Twin Peaks: The Return for one).

Volte fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 23, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wheeee posted:

That popped into my head briefly as a plus, but I've never once actually purchased a Blu-ray due to the miracle of the internet.

Pssh, yeah physical copies of movies and TV shows sure are dumb. Why do I need those when I can strea- hey why's my favourite show not on Netflix anymore?...:confused:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

"Clutter"

- guy who never heard of a shelf

I don't want a big shelf full of video games and nerd gear, I'm an adult

the only video game thing I've got in my living room that isn't an actual console is a little Amiibo of Lucas. if people ask what that is, I say it's my son

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pssh, yeah physical copies of movies and TV shows sure are dumb. Why do I need those when I can strea- hey why's my favourite show not on Netflix anymore?...:confused:

yea there's no other way to get that media content, damnn

seriously lol if you're buying movies and poo poo at retail

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I don't want a big shelf full of video games and nerd gear, I'm an adult

the only video game thing I've got in my living room that isn't an actual console is a little Amiibo of Lucas. if people ask what that is, I say it's my son

Yea I've got shelves and they're full of books, I already own too much poo poo in general, and the convenience of hitting home button on the Switch and having a library of installed gamed to select from is quite nice.

My original question was regarding pricing alone because aside from potential financial incentives buying physical copies is less convenient and results in you having more plastic poo poo in your home.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 23, 2020

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Wheeee posted:

yea there's no other way to get that media content, damnn

MODS!!!!!!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

For day to day watching I stream everything but for my favourite shows and movies I like to have them on disc.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m the kid who ditched physical media in 2002 when I got my first iPod and was like “oh I can literally carry every song from every CD I have ever owned at the same time, and the songs can’t get scratched like a CD. The future is now!” and none of that has changed

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
You, flies buzzing around your head: "Listen here, mack, I'm an adult. I live in a shoebox and can't have clutter. My only possession in the world is a metal dog dish. I have to share it with a possum or else he'll bite me. I named him Hisstopher."

Me, gay and sophisticated: "How charming."

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The smart thing to do right now with the PS5 is to finish and sell each physical game asap.

I paid £50 for Miles Morales and sold it for £45 / £70 for Demon's Souls and sold it for £60.

They're launch games that'll crater in value very quickly so if I want to replay them I'll just rebuy.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Or you could play the game slowly and enjoy it longer since the PS5 only has like three games

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bradzilla posted:

For all the goon hype, basically nobody talks about Bugsnax since it was released. But it is very good. Bungerbungerbungerbunger.

Yeah, I'll admit I read that in their voice :allears:. I really hope Bugsnax gets a more fleshed-out sequel.

...BUNGER?!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I buy physical media because outside of a few favorite franchises, the vast majority of games I play through only once. It's nice to be able to get a little bit back by reselling. I also prefer physical for Blu-Rays because I want to be able to watch a movie I like without having to hunt it down on one of the 5 million streaming services, or lose access to something I "purchased" digitally when licensing issues happen later. And no interest in pirating.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Seriously, who do I need to pay off at Sony to go back to the old web browser store front for PSN???

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
As a cable cutter, let me tell you about how I cancelled my cable subscription and signed up for 30 streaming services just so I have to watch a russian stream of a chinese dub of a movie not available on any of them.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Honestly, who lets a game leave their grubby little paws once it has come into their possession? My preciousssssssssss....

Why yes, I do have a shrink wrapped copy of Double Switch I bought new on the Sega CD; why do you ask?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Pretty sure I've still got Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete kicking around in a box somewhere, young me bought all them drat jrpgs

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It is the height of vanity and selfishness to continue owning physical games after you have completed them. Either sell them or give them to friends, a beaten game is essentially clutter.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I said come in! posted:

Seriously, who do I need to pay off at Sony to go back to the old web browser store front for PSN???

My son, go and sin no more.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/home/games?PlatformPrivacyWs1=all&psappver=19.15.0&smcid=psapp

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You are a hero of the people.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Necrothatcher posted:

It is the height of vanity and selfishness to continue owning physical games after you have completed them. Either sell them or give them to friends, a beaten game is essentially clutter.

Is it clutter or a hoard? Glittering prizes!

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I too enjoy owning physical media but I really don’t want to show it off because it looks tacky and I’m trying to find a good media cabinet that fits in my living room that will hide my shame so nobody has to look at it

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I eat tuna on garlic bagels just so if someone dares approach the overflowing riches upon which I sleep I might breathe fire upon them.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Colonel Whitey posted:

I too enjoy owning physical media but I really don’t want to show it off because it looks tacky and I’m trying to find a good media cabinet that fits in my living room that will hide my shame so nobody has to look at it

I appreciate that people are into different things, that pic on this page looks tacky as gently caress and I'd never want that in my home, but some people are into the nerd aesthetic.

Seeing that Demons Souls costs $90 is a pretty hearty lol tho so maybe the disc version is best since I imagine PS5 games will be easy to flip on local classifieds.

I can suck up the Nintendo tax for Mario games but how the gently caress you console people happily pay so much for most mediocre games is beyond me; PC gaming is cheap as gently caress in comparison if you buy a lot of software

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wheeee posted:

I appreciate that people are into different things, that pic on this page looks tacky as gently caress and I'd never want that in my home, but some people are into the nerd aesthetic.

Seeing that Demons Souls costs $90 is a pretty hearty lol tho so maybe the disc version is best since I imagine PS5 games will be easy to flip on local classifieds.

I can suck up the Nintendo tax for Mario games but how the gently caress you console people happily pay so much for most mediocre games is beyond me; PC gaming is cheap as gently caress in comparison if you buy a lot of software

steam discounts have been at parity with digital console discounts for years so i'm not sure where you're getting this from