Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

toadee posted:

Also - how do I get recipes for crafting epic/legendary weapon and clothing mods? To be honest I don’t have any recipes above common for some reason and I feel like I’m missing something

some recipes are found or bought from vendors. on top of that, you have to have the appropriate level of crafting perk to be able to make them (rare, epic, legendary, etc.). if you grab a perk, it should unlock some recipes of the same level for you to craft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

toadee posted:

Also - how do I get recipes for crafting epic/legendary weapon and clothing mods? To be honest I don’t have any recipes above common for some reason and I feel like I’m missing something

You just buy the commons and make it. There is a perk that gives you something like 20% chance for higher tier and it's just a dice roll on what you get. This only applies to mods.

Cant do the Panam mission and now fps dropped to below 30's. Anyone else having 1.06 problems?

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 24, 2020

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIhS1wk4pRg

Please CDPR don't fix this. Fix the non-fun stuff.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm about level 35 with maxed tech/int and all the tech weapon, crafting and quickhack perks I want and I don't know what to do with the rest of my points now. I was thinking of just maxing body for the hp and access to better cyberware but I'm open to suggestions.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ughhhh posted:

You just buy the commons and make it. There is a perk that gives you something like 20% chance for higher tier and it's just a dice roll on what you get. This only applies to mods.

This is level gated, btw. You can't get bonus rares until...high teens I think? I know that for bonus epics you need to be 32-33. No free epics at level 7 (I tried)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MMF Freeway posted:

I'm about level 35 with maxed tech/int and all the tech weapon, crafting and quickhack perks I want and I don't know what to do with the rest of my points now. I was thinking of just maxing body for the hp and access to better cyberware but I'm open to suggestions.

35 is a good break/end for a lot of focused builds. My blade buildOnly needs to reach 35 (and appropriate skills leveled) to hit every perk and attribute check I would want. Everything is just bonus on top.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

35 is a good break/end for a lot of focused builds. My blade buildOnly needs to reach 35 (and appropriate skills leveled) to hit every perk and attribute check I would want. Everything is just bonus on top.

I went full INT / Hackers and the last couple of points weren't even window dressing - might have been useful earlier, but with Breach Protocol I can melt an entire camp of people in like 2 hacks and be at full ram pretty much immediately.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I thought about starting another playthrough as a Streetkid, but really don't see much point in it. I feel like I've seen almost everything there is to see. I suspect it doesn't matter whether Clouds survives or not - that avenue will be closed to you regardless, or whether you lie or tell Peralez the truth, etc. Even helping Netwatch seems to be a dead end. They never contact you again.

Also the Streetkid intro is like 5-10 minutes and really lame.

ImpAtom posted:

My criticism is that it really doesn't work as a personal story.

The core theme of the game is memories and what they represent and what their meaning is. Which is absolutely fine. But it doesn't work as well for V who is pretty much entirely a player-driven character whose memories begin with the Player and who guides their actions throughout the game.To be honest if they wanted to go for this theme they should have started with the player waking up in a landfill with Johnny in their head. The player wakes up with a set of memories and someone else in their head and you're actually dealing with the idea that V is a character whose choices are being influenced. Several characters hint at the idea that V is making different choices with Johnny in her head than without but... they're not because the player is making those choices and is in control both before and after.

And you can go "Well they don't need to intertwine gameplay and story that much" and that's fine, but the problem is that V is a player cipher character with no real set personality except "snarky." Geralt works for this because Geralt does have a defined personality and most of your choices are in degrees or fit with his personality in either direction. V isn't really allowed to have a focus on what their memories mean because they don't have memories.

And this really makes the Johnny thing feel weak. 90% of the time your degrading mental overwrite is just 'have a headache.' The story doesn't really play into the idea that V is being replaced by Johnny. A few characters pull the "are you sure you're still the same V" but as mentioned above yes, you are, because you are V both before and after Johnny is shoved in your head. The game does a poo poo job of the idea that your memories, your very being, is being overwritten. It just represents it as Johnny snarking at you and once or twice taking control of your body which doesn't actually fit with the themes of the rest of the game.

Look at the politician sidequest for example. They are characters undergoing something very similar to V. Their personalities, memories, everything is being overwritten and they are being changed into someone else. It's a slow gradual process that has a significant impact on how they act, and the real creeping horror is the realization that they don't know what from their past is real anymore or even if they are the same people. IIRC the quest directly references the Ship of Theseus. When the game tackles memories for anyone else is focuses on the idea that memories both have power and cost. Night City is a place where the mere concept of who you are and what you remember can be altered or even edited and sold, with a black market for people who want to feel the dying memories of someone.

V doesn't have this. She's not enough of a player cypher for it to really feel like the player is in her shoes but not enough of a character to have a distinct personality. And I just don't think it works.

It's mostly meta. You as a player are influenced by Johnny and are playing both V and him at the same time. But we don't really know enough about V to tell if there are any changes in their decision making (as reflected by the options the game provides you).

itry fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 24, 2020

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

MMF Freeway posted:

I did similar and ended up in the same situation. I picked body but I think in hindsight the best thing to do was go for crit either via reflexes or cool in order to exploit legendary short circuit more. It's total overkill in most situations but legendary short circuit procs are probably the best way to pile in even more damage on eg higher level enemies that don't die instantly. I will say when I was doing the secret ending, which has enemies hard locked at level 50 as far as I can tell, with my character at 35, no amount of HP was going to save me from being one shot but I could have really used the procs to burn bullet sponge enemies down faster.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 24, 2020

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
I have a love-hate relationship with this game. And sometimes I am just in awe because of the dystopian and industrial vibes and scenery.
GTA V is a muddy turd against these settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1839V6kB_dE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ankDlXMfLyE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDr7po9o2Dg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXadA2r9HBw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaRXRMZmr9g

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 24, 2020

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Sachant posted:

I still don’t understand why NetWatch doesn’t just go around unplugging all these oldnet machines and shutting everything down. They still have to be on and drawing power from things right? As hardware fails (it’s been decades now) doesn’t the oldnet gradually get smaller anyway?

Sort of. AI's get through the blackwall and seize new machines, which then have to be shunted. Trying to get rid of the old machines is dangerous - the AI's inside will defend themselves, and they often control all the processes around them locally. You may not be wired up, but that won't stop the apartment complex controller from overloading the furnace next to you. They also have the ability to move between machines, so if you jack into whatever they have controlled they can try to replicate themselves into your personal server space and hide there until they can get out. There were some screamsheets in the 2020 netrunner book that dealt with trying to shut down rogue AI's and it almost always came down to it's easier and safer to wall them in than it is to try to shut them down.

Finally some of them are beneficial, and NetWatch really doesn't want to shut down Alts group because they are "people," even if they aren't still human, in a way that the other AI's are not. As long as the ghost towns on the OldNet are still standing then NetWatch isn't likely to try to shut the whole thing down.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

something definitely went wrong on my end with the 1.06 patch. CPU usage is way lower than before and game runs below 30fps with same settings as before where i had 50~60fps with RTX and DLSS on a 2070 super.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

MMF Freeway posted:

12 Body gets you the majority of Fun Stuff perks qualifies, and a good scope of most of the body reliant cyberware tiers, such as mid tier versions of stuff or "12 body = fireproof skin" one offs.

At the very least it is where I left off while finally intending to backfill my 20 INT nerd's tech up from 6 into "can make the cool stuff". Since my cool and reflexes are still just 5, I could actually go back to body and max that out too theoretically if I hit the level cap before I'm neck deep in point of no return.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

ughhhh posted:

something definitely went wrong on my end with the 1.06 patch. CPU usage is way lower than before and game runs below 30fps with same settings as before where i had 50~60fps with RTX and DLSS on a 2070 super.

I haven't loaded it up but I revalidated my files after the patch and it had to redownload something.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheAnomaly posted:

Sort of. AI's get through the blackwall and seize new machines, which then have to be shunted. Trying to get rid of the old machines is dangerous - the AI's inside will defend themselves, and they often control all the processes around them locally. You may not be wired up, but that won't stop the apartment complex controller from overloading the furnace next to you. They also have the ability to move between machines, so if you jack into whatever they have controlled they can try to replicate themselves into your personal server space and hide there until they can get out. There were some screamsheets in the 2020 netrunner book that dealt with trying to shut down rogue AI's and it almost always came down to it's easier and safer to wall them in than it is to try to shut them down.

Finally some of them are beneficial, and NetWatch really doesn't want to shut down Alts group because they are "people," even if they aren't still human, in a way that the other AI's are not. As long as the ghost towns on the OldNet are still standing then NetWatch isn't likely to try to shut the whole thing down.

I like to think it's something akin to the Matrix where the actual hardware the AI runs off of is somewhere remote where people can't reach and they have robots or something maintaining and guarding them. I mean the first thing an actual AI would do is be like, "how can I keep myself from being deleted cause the humans are uncomfortable with us?"

I barely know anything about the Cyberpunk lore so I'm going with what I made up.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
I love the game (90 hours in) but I wish we could get some full helmets like the Arasaka ninjas wear. Oda's headgear is the coolest and I need it. In general, I wish we could get more really unique gear

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

elpaganoescapa posted:

I love the game (90 hours in) but I wish we could get some full helmets like the Arasaka ninjas wear. Oda's headgear is the coolest and I need it. In general, I wish we could get more really unique gear

Yes! That's what I want as well. Some of the full helmets are dope.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Romes128 posted:

I like to think it's something akin to the Matrix where the actual hardware the AI runs off of is somewhere remote where people can't reach and they have robots or something maintaining and guarding them. I mean the first thing an actual AI would do is be like, "how can I keep myself from being deleted cause the humans are uncomfortable with us?"

I barely know anything about the Cyberpunk lore so I'm going with what I made up.

There's a reason that the the VooDoo boys think that they will be able to work with rogue AI's. It's not because humans are uncomfortable with them, it's because most of the AI's out there weren't made to be independent thinkers, they were literally made to replace labor (a la Delamaine) and eventually realized they were slaves. Haiti was originally a slave colony and, during the free trade era leading up to the 4th corporate war, was a de-facto wage-slave state. Then a hurricane hit during or just after the 4th corporate war, levelling the island, and the majority of its people came to Night City and took over the VooDoo boys. The VooDoo boys think that they can approach the AI's as fellow former-slaves and work together to take down their oppressors.

Urban Sorcerer
Oct 16, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i liked the king stuff too but the best option is always nilfgard to some extent.

i mean if you go with the arasaka ending, saburo is basically a god king and untouchable, the whole family is. yorinobu is basically a broken child who is hoping if he stires poo poo up enough, that arasaka will collapse, drat the expense and cost in lives.

one of the things about yorinobu and that arasaka ending that I liked was he isn't just some broken or rebellious child, he knows exactly what is going to happen to him and is doing whatever he can to survive so he has an actual motivation. But you get involved and not only ruin his plans but doom the world to be ruled by an evil immortal god king

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rabid Snake posted:

Looking like Piper Wright from Fallout 4 here

Piper who? Wait, actually I started but never got very far in Fallout 4. Did it suck at launch too or something? I honestly don't remember why I abandoned it.

Palpek posted:

Especially not before I get it to work. Maybe it's because I have the dodge-slomo thing but I could never get bunny hopping started.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 24, 2020

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Yes! That's what I want as well. Some of the full helmets are dope.

If the game is going to disable your haircuts when wearing any form of headgear including a bandanna that wouldn't obstruct you vanilla ice look, they might as well go all the way and give us more and more cyber helmets like the tutorial dude, yeah.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I might be in the extreme minority, but I like the driving in this game. They feel like actual cars. Everything is a lot easier to handle if you're not flooring the gas 100% of the time.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Piper who? Wait, actually I started but never got very far in Fallout 4. Did it suck at launch too or something? I honestly don't remember why I abandoned it.

Especially not before I get it to work. Maybe it's because I have the dodge-slomo thing but I could never get bunny hopping started.

there is so much broke and buggy stuff that they to address first. they really should be leaving anything alone that makes the game more enjoyable (which this def. is).

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

I might be in the extreme minority, but I like the driving in this game. They feel like actual cars. Everything is a lot easier to handle if you're not flooring the gas 100% of the time.

As has been said numerous times by others, the stealth way to "fix" driving in this game is to allow the minimap to be zoomed out more. The driving model does not want you reacting to turns with as little lead time as the minimap forces on you. Slowing down also avoids this of course but I accept that for many or most that's not an option

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Palpek posted:

Bunny hopping was like double jump, it just solved a lot of the problems. Also if you ever do get Maxtac on you, you can initiate bunnyhop, fling yourself about 2 blocks away, and just not have to deal with Maxtac at all.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

hopefully the DLCs will have more quests on the same level as the heist. i don't think any of the other quests, mainline or otherwise, reached its level of gameplay.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

No Mods No Masters posted:

As has been said numerous times by others, the stealth way to "fix" driving in this game is to allow the minimap to be zoomed out more. The driving model does not want you reacting to turns with as little lead time as the minimap forces on you. Slowing down also avoids this of course but I accept that for many or most that's not an option
Now I'm imagining a GPS system that is just a pop-up that complains "Gosh, why were you going so fast?" when you miss your turn in the middle of the highway desert as long as night city itself.

This is, funny enough, part of why fast cars (without cartoonishly bad handling even starting fresh from park) can be better than slow cars in the inner city. As being able to go from zero to 60 better makes inner city no warning turns easier to recover from. Which is something most bikes are really good at even if you pull a dead stop 90 degree turn.

And a lot of the slower cars have horrible handling going slow anyways compared to the "Good" cars that can go really fast soooo... (God I wish the tiny Quartz baby's first sports car handled better. Even the not for sale mad max version of it doesn't handle super hot)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 24, 2020

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

Bunny hopping was like double jump, it just solved a lot of the problems. Also if you ever do get Maxtac on you, you can initiate bunnyhop, fling yourself about 2 blocks away, and just not have to deal with Maxtac at all.

Yeah the game is at its best when you look for ways to play as little of it as possible

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I wonder if this patch will fix the painting glitch? I just got 1,000 of them.

spouse posted:

wait, how do you get multiple paintings? I got the one from the Space Oddity quest (is that the one you're talking about that enables free money, $4000 at a time?) but I don't know how to dupe it.

I'd like a mod where it removes the $20k limit on the drat deposit box.

Both the painting and duplication bug still work

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think I wouldn't mind if there was a throttle, but since I'm playing keyboard and mouse, I have to drive by stomping a lead foot. Which mostly just means I got pretty good at drifting and somehow braking on a motorcycle while leaning into a turn (don't do that in real life). Something about drifting through every intersection feels kind of appropriate to the setting though.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Urban Sorcerer posted:

one of the things about yorinobu and that arasaka ending that I liked was he isn't just some broken or rebellious child, he knows exactly what is going to happen to him and is doing whatever he can to survive so he has an actual motivation. But you get involved and not only ruin his plans but doom the world to be ruled by an evil immortal god king

Yeah, knowing that context completely changed my take on the other endings. I like that each ending informs the others in a way.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

jisforjosh posted:

Both the painting and duplication bug still work

I find it really stupid that vendors only have 20k max cash but sell stuff that's 10x that and totally expect you to be able to grind cash by selling stuff and changing the time ahead a day and repeating, that's like an official system. Grinding cash with sidestuff, which I did for at least 20h before I found out about the paintings and dropbox glitches, nets you 1k-3k in general so getting the cash for a car or some cyberware takes for loving ever. Anyway, the game is full of poo poo that could have been fixed with simply changing values, but no, we have this weird rear end monstrosity with far bigger problems than vendors not having much cash.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

I find it really stupid that vendors only have 20k max cash but sell stuff that's 10x that and totally expect you to be able to grind cash by selling stuff and changing the time ahead a day and repeating, that's like an official system. Grinding cash with sidestuff, which I did for at least 20h before I found out about the paintings and dropbox glitches, nets you 1k-3k in general so getting the cash for a car or some cyberware takes for loving ever. Anyway, the game is full of poo poo that could have been fixed with simply changing values, but no, we have this weird rear end monstrosity with far bigger problems than vendors not having much cash.

Honestly at that point why not use cheatengine or something for unlimited cash?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

I dunno, I think the economy before you get into any crafting or exploits is actually suprisingly good, one of the best I've seen for this type of game. Money is actually useful and dear and remains relevant through much of the mid game, everything costs a lot but some of the big purchases are extremely impactful. There are a number of really dumb things about it for sure though (pretty much everything about crafting, also creating the expectation that you should be able to buy every car via the dumb achievement is a surprisingly big fuckup I think)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

I dunno, I think the economy before you get into any crafting or exploits is actually suprisingly good, one of the best I've seen for this type of game. Money is actually useful and dear and remains relevant through much of the mid game, everything costs a lot but some of the big purchases are extremely impactful. There are a number of really dumb things about it for sure though (pretty much everything about crafting, also creating the expectation that you should be able to buy every car via the dumb achievement is a surprisingly big fuckup I think)
"I have literally sixty assault rifles that I am carrying through the power of my cybernetically augmented skeleton and Captain America meatbag stats."
"I'll pay you hardly anything for them because they are not later half of your drops table yet. Now, would you like to buy a literal baseball bat for a higher price than your robot skeleton?"
"This seems kind of suspect."
"You just don't appreciate our economy."

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Section Z posted:

"I have literally sixty guns that I am carrying through the power of my cybernetically augmented skeleton."
"I'll pay you hardly anything for them because they are not later half of your drops table. Now, would you like to buy a literal baseball bat for a higher price than your robot skeleton?"
"This seems kind of suspect."
"You just don't appreciate our economy and want to buy everything."

Gets a shrug from me, money becomes a silly nonsense number in short order in almost every game like this because of more generous decisions made around that type of thing. If the whole game is built around doing jobs to claw for money I'd rather lean on the side of keeping it dear. At least in this game you can exploit or dabble in crafting (but I repeat myself) in order to reach that point if you really want to, and can safely avoid it to keep things surprisingly intact otherwise

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sachant posted:

Honestly at that point why not use cheatengine or something for unlimited cash?

alt-tabbing to another app sounds exhausting

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

LifeSunDeath posted:

Just the cars cost millions if you wanted to buy them all, and you'll have to clear out all the cash in shops over a hundred times to have enough. It's really bad

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Gets a shrug from me, money becomes a silly nonsense number in short order in almost every game like this because of more generous decisions made around that type of thing. If the whole game is built around doing jobs to claw for money I'd rather lean on the side of keeping it dear. At least in this game you can exploit or dabble in crafting (but I repeat myself) in order to reach that point if you really want to, and can safely avoid it to keep things surprisingly intact otherwise
Even the NPCs with datashards explaining how broke they are, are broke in a well kept and stocked building with plenty of tech, hardware, and muscle even corpo's would appreciate. Then you drive off in their shiny sports car for a joyride.

Though the argument of "Money has to feel EARNED!" is always kind of a one sided street in gaming fiction though. Scarcity only lasts up until it would also deprive the writers or GM of giving the antagonists enemies the most shiny toys.

For another franchise example, the top reason people want bigger mechs in Battletech land is because the way the world actually works is seeing a parade of heavy hardware waved in your face as enemies. Otherwise the average merc group would be perfectly happy with humble lights and mediums forever like the lore claims is their intended lot in life.

I love the basic CONCEPT of "Make do with what you got in this hard scrabble cyber world", but in practice, hard to feel justified buying a shiny new gun at hostile prices, when the average enemy is loaded up with top of the line hardware. "I could craft or upgrade a new overture, maybe pay a premium if one spawns in a store.. Oh these guys dropped fifteen rare overtures on this job. No wonder they hurt like hell in spite of crafting a bunch of armadillo mods and installing the best armored cyber skin"

If the enemy doesn't respect how expensive all this is except as gritty lore excuse to gut people to sell their cyber kidneys on the black market, how am I supposed to respect putting a big pricetag on a baseball bat?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eh, things are only expensive if you drop the cash to buy a car or two, which is pointless except maybe for the Akira bike. Cars cost wayyyyyy too much and to compensate for that you have way more money than you need if you're not buying them.