Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

knox_harrington posted:

Also I got one of my nieces a remote control monster van. I thought these were incredibly cool in the late 80s.

Yesss, they're a stupid amount of fun! Factory wheelie bars! (they need it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I got my godson a Midnight Pumpkin ages ago, kids love monster trucks!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Ferremit posted:

Well after 2 years of being berated and busting my arse all day, a shoulder bursitis and basically being lied to about my job, I got some good news today. Got to tell my current department to go sit on a dick for 6 months while I go off and play being a ranger for the forestry corporation here in South Aus!

Start early next year. Gonna be a great new adventure.

Good on ya!

64bit_Dophins posted:

As an update to my post in the SS thread (for those who didn't see it, the apartment building right next to mine burnt down the other night. Here's what's left of it. The building off to the left in the photo is my apartment building.

For those who did not see my other post, this is what the fire looked like when it was raging.

:stonk: glad that you were unaffected. That looks awful.

knox_harrington posted:

Also I got one of my nieces a remote control monster van. I thought these were incredibly cool in the late 80s.

This is very good. Grab a set of bearings from Team FastEddy. They are cheap and will make everything better. I am currently waiting on my Tamiya Sand Scorcher re-release to ship. Should be coming in later January. I need to build something. Probably going to head out over the Christmas break to give my new Trencher crawler tires a shot that I mounted this weekend.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Welp, my area is going into MAXIMUM LOCKDOWN on Boxing Day. (the day after Christmas)

Any of us from the UK know if used car sales have continued under Tier 4?

meltie fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 23, 2020

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I am annoyed because the day before Thanksgiving break our leadership was randomly like “You all get paid early release today, leave at one if all of your stuff is done.” Of course being notified we get to leave early four hours ahead of time, I still had a ton of poo poo to do and watched everyone immediately log off at 1:00 while I was stuck on for another couple of hours.

Today, the last day before we break for holiday, I’m sitting here with my thumb up my butt and nothing to do, no mention of early release. Booo!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

meltie posted:

Welp, my area is going into MAXIMUM LOCKDOWN on Boxing Day. (the day after Christmas)

Austin itself officially went to the code red/stage 5 today. I don't live in Austin, but I do work in Austin. There's a good chance we have a curfew coming, but our governor AND state attorney general have kneecapped most options that cities can use. :fuckoff: Austin is "strongly recommending" retailers close between 10:30pm and 5:30am. My employer closes at 11pm. Wonder how that will play out.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Our AG in particular needs several boots to the head.
That bullshit with bringing suit for election fraud in PA was just embarrassing and evil.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

A former coworker (as in, she still works at the hospital I used to work at) posted a brief thing with an image the other night:

The image is a semi-trailer parked just outside the hospital. The brief caption explained that it's serving as the expanded morgue as the hospital is overrun and begging people to be safe.

I'm not going to lie, even relating this now, I'm getting teary-eyed. If this had happened 10 years ago, I would be working in that hospital right now, and it's basically only luck that I work for a healthcare software company now which easily enables me to work from home. So many people are dying, and the people who work in healthcare are trying so hard to save us, and ... people are loving ignoring it.

Los Angeles county is supposedly in full lockdown and I see precisely no reduced activity from it. There was a stabbing (actually, slashing, but that feels weird to say) outside the restaurant locally that's proudly disobeying mask / indoor&outdoor dining ordinances. (Same restaurant I posted about recently.)

Please be safe, y'all.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My hometown was up to.. 10? portable morgues (18 wheeler reefers) at one point, using inmates from the local county jail to load bodies. That's just what was parked out of the medical examiner's office, not counting what was parked at hospitals. I'm sure they still have some of the refrigerated trucks; cases here (Austin metro) are rapidly approaching the point where we may need mobile morgues too. Our hospitals are full of people from El Paso and other parts of the state, but our ICU capacity is about to be overrun.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/11/15/coronavirus-texas-el-paso-inmates-morgue-deaths/

I've already lost a few friends/family, both back home and in DFW. The one that really hit was my HS best friend's mother. Said friend is disabled and can't work (something I didn't know until recently - despite being close, we haven't talked on the phone in years) and moved back in with his parents last year, and was going to physical therapy while his parents didn't go out at all. He got sick first, then both of his parents, then mom died. He and his dad have recovered. He's going through hell trying to process it, and ultimately blaming himself for bringing it home.

e: VVVVV not quite beaten, but A Small Car lives in my hometown (maybe a mile from my dad) and is a lot more up to date with what's going on there.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 23, 2020

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

Krakkles posted:

The image is a semi-trailer parked just outside the hospital. The brief caption explained that it's serving as the expanded morgue as the hospital is overrun and begging people to be safe.

Back in November, we brought in 10 of those mobile morgues and staffed them with prisoners and National Guard members because things were so bad here. Now when I'm out driving around, it's farmers markets and parties all over, and not nearly enough people wearing masks. gently caress Texas.

Seconding the wish for everyone to stay safe out there.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

sharkytm posted:

Woof. That's too close for comfort. Any damage to your place?

And congrats on getting sober. It's a tough road. You don't need to be religious to send good thoughts to people.

No damage to my place to speak of. I really got lucky. 25 people are now homeless because of the fire :(

In a month and some change I will have been sober for 2 years which is pretty crazy when I think about it.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

STR posted:

Austin itself officially went to the code red/stage 5 today. I don't live in Austin, but I do work in Austin. There's a good chance we have a curfew coming, but our governor AND state attorney general have kneecapped most options that cities can use. :fuckoff: Austin is "strongly recommending" retailers close between 10:30pm and 5:30am. My employer closes at 11pm. Wonder how that will play out.

Ah yeah, we've had two lockdowns before already, and food retailers were one of the essential businesses that were specifically told to stay open.

This did cause some confusion around megastores that happen to sell food too, but I think everyone saw the point of it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Here's my *limited* view: I'm not a front-liner, but I'm in the background in tech/imaging/facilities/datacenters.
I'm onsite at hospitals weekly and work with a variety of departments. I can tell you this - we're all tired. It does not matter what you do, we're tired. And Oregon isn't even *that* bad. Our mental health is strained, our normally thick skin has been worn down. We lost a coworker on one of our teams just last week. When we talk to the nurses/doctors - their angry, not at you. Angry at the people who stare at them and tell them covid isn't real. Angry at the people who refuse to accept wearing a mask. Angry at those who stare at the face of death and put themselves first, risking their family, friends, coworkers. We sit in meetings where we plan for power/fuel to supply our "auxiliary" morgues, which are nothing more than refrigerated trailers. We've deployed 2 so far. The service halls are lined with beds in preparation for the inevitable overflow. I check my social media and see car "friends" bitching about restaurants closing, oblivious that *when* we hit capacity- that broken arm/leg or stroke won't be prioritized. We live with the solum fact that every day kids, parents, friends die in our facilities - it's a fact of life, but when it's preventable or at least manageable - the distaste is no longer palatable after nearly a year of this terrifying and frustrating disease. Our next problem - sourcing enough body bags.

So yes - I'm lucky in a sense. I get vaccinated Thursday. I hate that I have to, but I can't continue my work supporting these critical sites in fear that I will catch/share this with my family.

Please stay safe this holiday season.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

meltie posted:

Ah yeah, we've had two lockdowns before already, and food retailers were one of the essential businesses that were specifically told to stay open.

This did cause some confusion around megastores that happen to sell food too, but I think everyone saw the point of it.

A month ago I was actually planning on traveling to Austin this week.

I'm glad that I decided against it!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meltie posted:

I believe they aren't open for "browsing", but you can still go and collect (or they can deliver) a car you have bought/ordered.

On a simple level, I'd say call them, and if they're open, they're open.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I understand the quarantine fatigue, but with all of this holiday travel so loving many people are going to be dead by February, it's scary to think about. Nearly .1% of the total US population has already died from COVID and an additional ~.0001% are dying every day, why won't people stay the gently caress home?

My mom, who has worked with so many COVID patients in end of life care, keeps wondering why my brother won't show up to family gatherings :doh:. Our household got it early on, so we're immune-ish and can comfortably take risks that others can't, but he and his wife never got infected. They have enough troubles after his job in the event industry died, they don't need us playing Typhoid Mary to infect them at some holiday dinner that everyone already wants to forget

This isn't to say that we won't be have long term immunity from vaccination; there's evidence of SARS B-cells in patients exposed a decade and a half ago and those cells are a large part of how vaccines work, but the same SARS research has shown that this family of viruses have a knack for evading primary immune defenses (with the handful of reported COVID reinfections backing that research up) and we know that you are infectious within 48 hours of COVID exposure. That means there's a non-zero chance that by the time that your body has reacted to the virus and begun killing it, you could be spreading it. Furthermore, that time frame is too short to become symptomatic, so it's likely that you wouldn't even realize that you'd been exposed again, hence the "Typhoid Mary" analogy

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
My dad just clocked out for the last time after 44 years as an automotive engineer, the last 34 with chrysler/daimler/fca, mostly working on jeeps. I can’t imagine what that feels like, it’s such a huge part of your life and now... nothing. I hope he finds something to keep himself busy.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Modus Man posted:

My dad just clocked out for the last time after 44 years as an automotive engineer, the last 34 with chrysler/daimler/fca, mostly working on jeeps. I can’t imagine what that feels like, it’s such a huge part of your life and now... nothing. I hope he finds something to keep himself busy.

Find him a BMW project car

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Imagine working one place for that long.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

StormDrain posted:

That's what it's like with a BMW project car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, sounds like he needs some kind of restoration project.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

meatpimp posted:

That's what it's like with a BMW project car.

E12 would be perfect.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, sounds like he needs some kind of restoration project.

Agreed! I've been like 75% unemployed since march and projects are keeping me sane.

I feel that if it wasn't for the hosed up state of the rest of the world I'd actually be really happy doing this and could deal with doing this as a retired person with some actual income.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Modus Man posted:

My Dad retired after 35, or maybe it was 38 can't remember, at the second place he ever worked after college. He's finished all the projects he can think of around the house, bought and expanded a hanger, bought a plane, did a little Spec Racer Ford racing and has made a few trips to help with projects at my and my brother's houses.

He also picked up a minty clean E21 320is BMW. He spent four hours steam cleaning one wheel well this morning. He looked at restoration projects but hates bodywork so he's just catching up on maintenance (bushings, bearings, rubber, etc) and cleaning the hell out of this one.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Back in the early days of this my county in MD had to use a local ice rink as a temp morgue.

It was getting better now it seems like it's set to spike again.

I've been on furlough since March probably won't be back at work until at least March 2021 if DC can get into the right phase where my workplace can re-open.

My partner and I were wearing masks to stores before there was a mask mandate and would disinfect anything we had to purchase from outside. It's kept us safe. Luckily we're pretty boring over all and don't really leave the house unless neccessary.

Stay safe wear a mask wash your hands

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I can now say the most toxic person I have ever meet wore Tesla apparel every single time I saw him, for me that permanently places Tesla at the top of the rear end in a top hat list, even about BMW. It kinda sucks because I would have liked to own a Tesla one day, if I won the lottery or if they stopped using plastic control arms, but I think i will safely scratch that off the bucket list. The worst part is one day, before we hated each other, we were talking about random stuff and I asked him if he liked Tesla. He said "no, I don't like the cars at all, I don't even care about cars" then another day he told someone else about going on a tour of a Tesla factory in California. I don't even know if he owned a Tesla or not, but I feel safe in assuming he does. Regardless, he is out of my life and I doubt I will ever see him again, I just will forever look down on Teslas a little more. No, he is not my ex-boyfriend.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

StormDrain posted:

I celebrated 17 years at my company in October, lots of zoom beer meetups in my little circle of lifer work friends (7 of us) this year, and the guy who's been here a decade is still 'the new guy'. 110 years combined!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Started early on the lovely holiday diet, my wife brought home a bunch of donuts, candy and chips from work and I pigged out :v:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I am having a stupid amount of Xmas related anxiety. I think I’m terrified that somehow my ex will make it poo poo for me, like she managed to for every Xmas and birthday I had while we were together.

It fucken sucks. I just wanna enjoy not being a work for a few days, drinking in moderation again and spending time with my family and friends.

Here I am though with this lovely tight feeling in my chest and catastrophising situations in my head.

I’m goddamn tired of this poo poo. I just wanna be a real boy.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

slothrop posted:

I am having a stupid amount of Xmas related anxiety. I think I’m terrified that somehow my ex will make it poo poo for me, like she managed to for every Xmas and birthday I had while we were together.

It fucken sucks. I just wanna enjoy not being a work for a few days, drinking in moderation again and spending time with my family and friends.

Here I am though with this lovely tight feeling in my chest and catastrophising situations in my head.

Go look in the mirror, admire the fuckin amazing stache and tell yourself that a man that god damned awesome is 100% gonna have a good fuckin christmas. Finger guns optional but highly recommended.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Not Wolverine posted:

I can now say the most toxic person I have ever meet wore Tesla apparel every single time I saw him, for me that permanently places Tesla at the top of the rear end in a top hat list, even about BMW. It kinda sucks because I would have liked to own a Tesla one day, if I won the lottery or if they stopped using plastic control arms, but I think i will safely scratch that off the bucket list. The worst part is one day, before we hated each other, we were talking about random stuff and I asked him if he liked Tesla. He said "no, I don't like the cars at all, I don't even care about cars" then another day he told someone else about going on a tour of a Tesla factory in California. I don't even know if he owned a Tesla or not, but I feel safe in assuming he does. Regardless, he is out of my life and I doubt I will ever see him again, I just will forever look down on Teslas a little more. No, he is not my ex-boyfriend.

I don't like Tesla because Elon Musk is a punk nerd that over-compensates. The success isn't enough he still needs to go online and act out for attention. Idk it just seems really pathetic imo (this is a harsh judgement but I've heard Elon is an rear end in a top hat irl).

Also Teslas are imo completely devoid of personality. They have the aesthetic quality of a Brookstone neck massager (interior and exterior). Until that changes I will never take Tesla seriously as a car company. They don't make cars, they make laundry machines on 4 wheels.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

slothrop posted:

My .02 on the booze. Consider saving it for after the holidays so it can't become a crutch for the anxiety. I probably enjoy alcohol too much but it's the first thing I give up when there are big stressors in my life. A bonus of this is I don't worry about saying stupid things when drunk.

Anywho, you deserve a happy xmas and I hope you manage it safely with friends and family. Thanks again for organizing the secret santa, it was a lot of fun.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

slothrop posted:

I almost moved out and left the state on Saturday, I will be amazed if my Christmas is not ruined like the year before, or my birthday when I was asked to take the cake to work so I could eat it with people who cared (my co workers don't care). The good news is I don't have enough money in my bank account to drink even if I wanted too! :smith: And my Dad passed away from stomach cancer in March, most likely caused by drinking a poo poo load of beer in his youth. According to my mom, he drank 5 mugs of beer every hour from 8pm to 1am when the bar closed. It was about 7 gallons of beer when my mom and I calculated it, I'm not even sure how that's physically possible but she swears he drank that much. That was only what he drank after work, not counting his lunch, or "6 pack of Coor's instant breakfast". His cancer treatment didn't last long. The last tattoo he got was "expiration date: 12-18-2020" but that was too optimistic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How long do you think it will be before employers start requiring you be vaccinated to keep your job?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

64bit_Dophins posted:

I don't like Tesla because Elon Musk is a punk nerd that over-compensates. The success isn't enough he still needs to go online and act out for attention. Idk it just seems really pathetic imo (this is a harsh judgement but I've heard Elon is an rear end in a top hat irl).

Also Teslas are imo completely devoid of personality. They have the aesthetic quality of a Brookstone neck massager (interior and exterior). Until that changes I will never take Tesla seriously as a car company. They don't make cars, they make laundry machines on 4 wheels.

On top of the known QC and security problems (once upon a time an ex-Tesla programmer did a tell-all in YOSPOS about how much of a security nightmare everything related to Teslas are), I don't like Tesla because Elon Musk is an active cult leader. Someone literally argued with me the other day that Elon Musk is a self-taught PhD-level rocket scientist and his knowledge is integral to the design and development of all of SpaceX's engines. The man tried to badly reinvent the subway because he's too daft and zonked out to realize it already exists and in a much better form than "train what carries teslas on it and takes half an hour to board and deboard because the elevator down to it can only take one car at a time". He's a rich idiot with blood emerald money who read too much classic sci-fi.

gently caress I hate Elon Musk.

Rhyno posted:

How long do you think it will be before employers start requiring you be vaccinated to keep your job?

Exactly 30 seconds after the vaccine gets priced ever so slightly above the value of the upcoming stimulus cheque.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

slothrop posted:

[sounds of screaming, eyes twitching, t h e s c o l d i n g v o i c e , terrible flashbacks to omaha beach etc]

This happened to me last night, four years out of a bad longterm relationship and totally out of the blue, while unwrapping gifts with a spectacular woman I'm crazy about. I recognized it as the stupid ancient ingrained memory that it was and took a deep breath while smiling. Guess what, the rest of the night was fantastic. You're fresh outta confinement IIRC which makes it so much worse, and I know it's stupid internet platitudes but keep looking forward and know that there's awesome times ahead if you can slowly but enthusiastically throw the baggage out the window. Fukken oath mate.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I could be wrong, but I think Covid will be "over" before employers can start mandating a vaccine. Yes I know it's real, and it's getting worse, but I believe ICU cases and deaths are going down, I think Covid could be just another thing that passes around soon. Can they legally require vaccination? I think they can require you to get some of the standard vaccines like MMR, but I thought they can't legally make you get a flu shot so I doubt they can legally make you get a Covid vaccine.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I don't think they _can_ in California. Wife works in HR in CA and there's no real guidelines yet - CalOSHA hasn't said anything definitive and there's stuff like HIPAA implications abound. It's a huge can of worms to require this in CA.

Not Wolverine posted:

I could be wrong, but I think Covid will be "over" before employers can start mandating a vaccine.

ICYMI, there seems to be a newer strain about 70% more contagious floating around in the UK

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

luminalflux posted:

I don't think they _can_ in California. Wife works in HR in CA and there's no real guidelines yet - CalOSHA hasn't said anything definitive and there's stuff like HIPAA implications abound. It's a huge can of worms to require this in CA.

ICYMI, there seems to be a newer strain about 70% more contagious floating around in the UK
I haven't watched the news in ages, mainly because it's depressing and boring but partly because I have sling and I don't think I have any good news channels (if such a thing exists). Thanks for adding yet another reason to be depressed this time of year! But I did read an article about it, and the new UK strain doesn't look too bad, it's contagious but not deadly, so I'm not sure why it really matters right now if it won't kill you. Besides, at least something good will come from Brexit. Now if only Trump can persuade the supreme court, maybe next term we can get some sort of United States exit, we can call it U-Sexit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Kazinsal posted:

On top of the known QC and security problems (once upon a time an ex-Tesla programmer did a tell-all in YOSPOS about how much of a security nightmare everything related to Teslas are), I don't like Tesla because Elon Musk is an active cult leader. Someone literally argued with me the other day that Elon Musk is a self-taught PhD-level rocket scientist and his knowledge is integral to the design and development of all of SpaceX's engines. The man tried to badly reinvent the subway because he's too daft and zonked out to realize it already exists and in a much better form than "train what carries teslas on it and takes half an hour to board and deboard because the elevator down to it can only take one car at a time". He's a rich idiot with blood emerald money who read too much classic sci-fi.

gently caress I hate Elon Musk.

I don't get how people think poo poo like this, he's not even the loving CEO of the company, he's not a loving engineer.

I give Musk, Tesla and SpaceX all credit for vision, him and those two companies have jump started/revitalized two really cool segments, but man that dude's a loser.

Not Wolverine posted:

I could be wrong, but I think Covid will be "over" before employers can start mandating a vaccine. Yes I know it's real, and it's getting worse, but I believe ICU cases and deaths are going down, I think Covid could be just another thing that passes around soon. Can they legally require vaccination? I think they can require you to get some of the standard vaccines like MMR, but I thought they can't legally make you get a flu shot so I doubt they can legally make you get a Covid vaccine.

3,000 people a day in the US are dying, a lot of city's morgues are hiring refrigerated morgues to deal with all the corpses, the only reason CHUD piece of poo poo cities like Boise, ID still have ICU space is because they're bussing people to hospitals in other states.

It is certainly not "going away" and we're still on track for 3,000,000 dead Americans before it's "over".

The reason morality rates are down is because with lifted restrictions a lot more young healthy people are getting it.

Speaking of, I've had an unreasonably good year, and the trend continues, I was exposed to COVID on my birthday, didn't end up catching it, but was stuck gone in quarantine just long enough to get a clean test without any exposure risks, so I can attend a very small Christmas gathering with my GF, Mom and Brother's family, all of whom have also quarantined and tested negative.

I didn't have any birthday plans, because my family appeared at my house a month before, right after my roomates hosed off, and declared it "an early birthday" and stocked me up with all the kitchen essentials I was missing.

This year's really shown me exactly how fortunate I am, and besides some lingering guilt over that fact, I'm doing better than I have in a long time.