Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Geocube is mildly annoying because I can't smoke it nearly as fast as the electrocube or the cryovine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

RareAcumen posted:

While, yes, defeating the geo hypostasis isn't nearly as painful as battling Oceanid, it is a much more annoying boss to actually walk to compared to all the other ones. Sure, you could use a portable waypoint but it seems like a waste when you could just have it be easier to get to in the first place.

I don't know why people hate it so much. Sure, you have to beat on those pillars a lot before they break but the attacks are all trivially easy to avoid compared to the enormous AOE effects of Oceanid.

That's why it's better to quit-to-menu instead of teleporting away when you want to respawn bosses. That way you only have to do the trek to geocube once to dump all your resin on him.

I will say though, without Zhongli the geo cube was definitely the most annoying boss. Not due to being too hard, because all of its attacks are pretty dodgeable, but because it just takes so long compared to other bosses.
The pillars totally ignore your dps so a totally juiced team will kill them just as slowly as a level 1 Noelle. The only thing that speeds it up is Zhongli. (But boy does he ever!)

I don't get the Oceanid hate. I've never had too much trouble with it, but that's probably because I have a Fischl and Ningguang and can do plenty of DPS from range.
If your team is 4 melees you can barely scratch the dive-bombing birds and you'll take a million unavoidable damage from the perma-vomiting crabs.

Asimo posted:

Zhongli's charge skill will instakill the three pillars at low HP. In theory anyway, I'm pretty sure he can hit three but I usually only manage to explode teo. Finishing the last off is easy enough though since they're less durable than the pillars it hides on.

Edit: also I still have no idea how the gently caress to avoid the oceanid frog explosions besides hoping they only show up early on when there's still room to outrange it. Or how to avoid the loving crab AOE spit stuff besides slapping them in the face with cryo. :argh:

Zhong's E can explicitly only damage a max of 2 geo constructs. They probably added that restriction just to stop him from instagibbing the geocube's last phase because I have no idea where else in the game it would even be relevant.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 24, 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't really understand what people are doing that makes geocube such a long fight. With Razor/Xiangling/Fish/Qiqi I can take it down in under a minute.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

whats up with plants in this world

everything around the loot mechanics is about Resin, and you either use it on dead rear end trees or seeds
we feed creepy red crystals to an unknown tree in Dragonspire that seemed to be sealed beneath?
we track down the other crystals to unlock the new domain because it blooms ice flowers around them
Albedo got his hands on literal seed from another world (?!?!)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Andrast posted:

I don't really understand what people are doing that makes geocube such a long fight. With Razor/Xiangling/Fish/Qiqi I can take it down in under a minute.

I think you explicitly need one of Razor ult, Noelle ult, or Zhongli hold-skill to be able to 1-cycle the last phase. Otherwise you can't beat the dps check to break all three mini-pillars in time. They're geo constructs so nothing other than Razor's attack speed or Noelle's geo-infused claymore make a difference in time-to-kill. (Geo MC and Ningguang do poo damage even with their ults, I guess because they're not claymore users).
And unlike the other cubes which just restore themselves to 20% hp or whatever, when it heals itself after failing the final phase it also respawns all its big pillars, so the whole boss fight takes 50-100% longer.

So for those players who are complaining about the geo cube: Bring a level 1 Noelle! Save your ult for the final phase and you'll cut a bunch of time off the boss fight.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 24, 2020

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
You can one-round the Geo pillars with judicious use of Razor’s hold skill too. No ult required.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Asimo posted:

Zhongli's charge skill will instakill the three pillars at low HP. In theory anyway, I'm pretty sure he can hit three but I usually only manage to explode teo. Finishing the last off is easy enough though since they're less durable than the pillars it hides on.

Edit: also I still have no idea how the gently caress to avoid the oceanid frog explosions besides hoping they only show up early on when there's still room to outrange it. Or how to avoid the loving crab AOE spit stuff besides slapping them in the face with cryo. :argh:

I still hate the crabs, but the frog/sparrow you can get it down to almost dead, lure it to one end of the stage, then kill it and run to the other to avoid the explosion.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Diluc can just about manage a one cycle of the pillars with good use of animation cancelling, but the timing is very tight.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Hexel posted:

is that a serpent spine on your chong?

Yep. Best BP weapon imo

theblackw0lf posted:

So I’m seeing all these pictures of people high up and seeing the ground visible, yet every time I’m high up the ground is obscured by I’m guessing a thick cloud formation of atmosphere maybe?

How can I make it so I can see the ground for miles away when I’m super high up?

If you go to the wish screen then choose "Shop", it'll very briefly despawn all the cloud effects. Maybe they're taking a screenshot during that split second.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Welp, my game's borked. The GPU has always had problems rendering some of the shading in trees for whatever reason, but that seemed to have been fixed for the most part. Anyways, I climbed the giant tree in Mondstadt while just loving around for a few mins and now the game crashes to desktop anytime I try to start it (it loads fine, but then crashes almost immediately after the game starts). Is there any way to get your character to start at a different waypoint or something, or am I just forever stuck in this drat tree?

Load it on your phone and move then. Sounds like you might need to reinstall/check drivers or something?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

gandlethorpe posted:

Yep. Best BP weapon imo
I completely agree. Black Sword is preposterously overrated by comparison, normal attack damage is just not that meaningful compared to the actual damage damage you get with Serpent Spine.

All of the BP weapons are good, they're all so good that you can just pick the one you need the most. But the whole "BS > solar pearl >>>> everything else" that people repeat is just so wrong.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So i'm increasingly interested in the plot of what happened at Dragonspine. For those interested in the plot I recommend checking out Dragonspine real closely. It appears that it's heavily linked to the over-arching story of the Teyvat arc. Fair ye be warned, lots of :words: incoming.

There's a door in the mountain that requires three puzzle boxes to unlock. Each one has a description that tells the story of the the people of the kingdom due to what may have been an artificially induced ice age. It goes from hopeful but depressed with the Princess (Who may be the one from the gnostic hymn. Or something else, more on that in a bit.) talking about how it's been so long since she saw the clear blue sky and living green grass that she can't finish a fresco she was designing since she literally doesn't remember what those things look like anymore. So for a really long time. She then goes on to talk about how someone ascended the mountain to stop the cold and hopes they'll be back soon.

The second one talks about a priest named Imunlaut (Or something like that.)who says that he had hope for the future due to the children of his people having such promise. Yet the young are literally withering. It then discusses how he has climbed the mountain to...do something. It's implied that they were hoping to somehow stop the cold from killing everything. He talks about someone waiting for him down below and how they've painted two paintings. And that everything will be alright so long as she has painted a third painting (Showing the sun, the sky, and the grass, etc, etc.) by the time he comes back down.

The third box, written by the Scribe suddenly takes a turn for the horrific. It drops any pretenses of hope for a better future and outright says that the Scribe has long since forsaken it. For he is the last of his people. They've all died from the cold or...something happened to them. It's all but said that his people have experienced a total genocide by whatever crisis was occurring and that he is the last survivor. He then launches into a hateful screed of omnicidal vengeance against the world that starts directly quoting and referencing...Well, a whole lot of stuff both in game and in real world mythology. Let's just go through it in full to see why it's so big to the plot:

The final box posted:

A treasure box with a decorative pattern at the bottom. The ornamentation seems to be a part of a three piece motif. Once the pattern is completed, a certain door may open.

"I yearn for those frosty skies to stand in flames and burn till there's no living soul in the world."
"I yearn for us to turn to dust carried by the wind so that we can find the outsider who abandoned the princess."
"I yearn for the black dragon from the princess' dreams to engulf the land in a cloud of scarlet poison."
"For I am the last one. There's no need to keep watch any longer."
"I've heard of a people building a new nation without the gods. Perhaps they'll have the power to stand against this world."

So there's a lot to process there. First of all, the bolded text is literally Khaen'riah as we know of it in the trailer in it's foundational stages. The whole "power to stand against the world" thing is also the remark that Dainsleif makes, who is outright called the Keeper of the Bough (See the post about him and the imaginary tree. TL;DR: He appears to be an older male traveler who is also known the Keeper of the Bough (TL;DR: of that, basically he's keeping the entire timeline from getting obliterated through...some means. No clue.). Other text talking about him goes on to say that this is bad as "The Keeper is fading, but the Creator has yet to come.". Which may tie into his seeming Genshin specific Honkai infection for why that's so potentially apocalyptic.

Maybe Dainsleif is the outsider that screwed over the Kingdom? Or maybe it's the sibling? Or Dainsleif version of the sibling? Or maybe it's something else entirely, seeing as how there's clearly some timeline and AU shenanigans going on given Dainsleif's appearance and the reference to a multiverse.

But the lore references get even deeper. You see, that poem ties into other things as well.

Y'see, each of the elemental ascension materials has a description that gets more detailed as it ranks up in rarity. Many of them have ominous undertones of corruption and murder by the end (The anemo one is an exception, as it's basically someone hoping that the course of events will change in the future. It talks about the wind changing similar to up above. No idea what that means however. Everything from the Geo Archon associated material gets progressively darker and more arrogant. He's no exception either.).

The ice one straight up goes full omnicidal evil with it's implications however. It also is literally referencing another part of the Scribes poem.

quote:

"Sorry… to also have you shoulder the grievances of the world.
"Since you could endure my bitter cold, you must have the desire to burn?
"Then, burn away the old world for me."

Likewise, the puzzle boxes are composed in the same verse as the ascension materials. They're literally epitaph's in the form of poems of a sort.

As a possibly unrelated side note there's also the final pyro gem. Which may tie into all of this. But no clue how so far.

quote:

"A pilgrimage for a wish; a battle to earn a name..."
"Burnt to cinders for a dream."
"If the intention yet remains, achieved (name blotted out) truth he has."

I should also mention that the references go even deeper than that. Each of the gemstones actually contains a reference to Hindu mythology (that may actually be the Hindu gods of Earth being referenced with some sort of lingual drift/translation error). The ice one, that I quoted above? It has a name referencing Shiva, who is part of a triat that handles the creation, upkeep, and finally destruction of the world. Which has...implications. Keep in mind that this may tie the Cyro Archon into the plot in a big way, as many of the other final forms of the gemstones reference the Archon's from what we know so far. So maybe the Cyro Archon is tied to the princess and this murdered kingdom?

Also, given that the details of the kingdom of Dragonspine along with other characters making a reference to the domains actually being deep beneath the Earth (along with the fact that the cyro domain literally has many elements directly referencing the devastation on the mountain) I have to assume they're linked somehow. The Ark theory is probably generally right (They're dropping too many visual references to multiple arks existing and some weird AU or timeline shenanigan's going on.) but also wrong in that the Ark is way different in this timeline from the Honkai one. Why do I say this? Because of this comic:

Combined with the talk of an Ajax and how wild the alternate realities shown in Honkai Impact are there is definitely something very weird going on with Teyvat. There's also increasing evidence that Teyvat literally is a version of the Ark from Honkai in an alternate universe form. Hell, the gods and monsters of Earth are considered to be the "primeval ones". IE: Ancient gods that the characters assume were real.

This isn't the only time this has come up. Tartaglia's real name is Ajax, which was given to him by his father as a reference to an ancient hero from mythology on Earth. He also got his start after falling into a world of darkness or something like that and meeting a woman there who is implied to be able to whip his rear end even now. Wonder if that was Earth he fell into, or some domain? I know the whole moon tower thing with the Abyss, the Abyssal Corridor, etc, etc, is a direct reference to Honkai and the Honkai Entity's plan to destroy everything in GGZ. Maybe that's Earth or it's Genshin equivalent in the present time?

Kind of interested in finding more about Khaen'riah and Celestia now, given all that stuff.

Edit: Given the wind motif I also wonder if this is tied into the hidden Temple of Time. "Seeds of stories, brought by the wind" could be a reference to the above poem by the Scribe. Or maybe the Unknown Goddess just absolutely leveling Monstadt in a conflagration of fire and cubes in that trailer showing the motivations of the other sibling. Maybe most of the people really did burn to death like the cyro archon is implied to want to do, and Kiana/The Herrsher of Void/The Unknown Goddess is suggested to have achieved once upon a time?

This would roughly line up with the history of Honkai (Albeit with massive changes due to Genshin being more fantasy oriented.), and explain why the Genshin timeline is yet another AU but is said to be close enough to Honkai's timeline that it can be briefly observed. It'd means that humanity was actually or almost completely wiped out at some point and something gave it a reboot.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 24, 2020

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Qwertycoatl posted:

I found Geo Cube to be a gigantic rear end in a top hat at first but now I've got its moves down I find it a lot easier than Oceanid

All those bosses are pretty easy if you're reasonable geared and bring the right people; Geo Cube and Oceanid are just annoying because they take a significant amount of time no matter how well you do them.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Damnit dark souls should have taught me to always read item descriptions. Is there a place I can still read the description of the three puzzle boxes? I already used them.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

All those bosses are pretty easy if you're reasonable geared and bring the right people; Geo Cube and Oceanid are just annoying because they take a significant amount of time no matter how well you do them.

I don't think geocube really takes loger than say, electrocube

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

theblackw0lf posted:

Damnit dark souls should have taught me to always read item descriptions. Is there a place I can still read the description of the three puzzle boxes? I already used them.

Not yet I think. Give me a moment, i'll type them up for you.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 24, 2020

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Archonex posted:

Not yet I think. Give me a moment, i'll type them up for you.

Awesome thanks :)

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Andrast posted:

I don't think geocube really takes loger than say, electrocube

Electrocube dies to pyro in no time and you can reliably one-cycle the regen phase with a multihit pyro ult, Amber L1 does the trick

I haven't tested geo daddy with geocube but if it works I'll be elated

Archonex
May 2, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

Awesome thanks :)

The Princess posted:

A treasure box with a decorative pattern at the bottom. The ornamentation seems to be a part of a three-piece motif. Once the pattern is completed, a certain door may open.

"I'm afraid I can't finish the fresco."
"It's been awhile since I last saw the blue sky and green grass. I don't know which hues to use to capture the landscape of thawing ice and snow that my father so longs for."
"By the time he comes back, everything will be back to how it was. But I can't take this cold anymore."
"Forgive me, father, forgive my buffoonery."
"Imunlaukr, I wish I could see you again..."

The Priest posted:

A treasure box with a decorative pattern at the bottom. The ornamentation seems to be a part of a three-piece motif. Once the pattern is completed, a certain door may open.

"I thought that the young will grow strong and vital like cypresses."
"But these cypresses are about to wither. Their voices won't be carried by the wind anymore. My expectations towards them, as well as the faith they have in me, will all fall through. Once again i'll climb the peak looking for guidance. By the time i'm back down, my daughter will have finished the second painting."
"As long as the third one will be of thawing snow and ice, everything will be fine."

The last one was posted in the post above. It's the one that goes from record to the almost verse-like structure of the ascension materials. Also, note the constant references to being carried by the wind. Which may tie into the whole temple of time thing given that it and the anemo gem uses the same wording. Which if true is almost certainly (Given what we know about it. Somewhere in the depths of the lore is apparently a remark that time runs weirdly in Khaen'riah. And Paimon might have been their Archon at some point.) also linked to Khaen'riah. Which is linked to Dragonspine and the Scribe's poem/epitaph/whatever.

I should also add that this is definitely not all of the story about these characters. The tablets around the mountain appear to contain other parts of the story. Imunlaukr is mentioned in them and is explored a bit further. Also, if the guy whose name starts with a V (can't remember it) is the Scribe then he didn't even say a word at the end. One day he just walked off to climb the mountain and never came back, like the others. If he was the scribe who wrote the poem on the box then i'm guessing he basically committed suicide by proxy out of rage and despair at the world. Alternatively, he could be the king or someone else.

If someone has all of the tablet text and could post it here it'd probably shed light on it. :shrug:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 24, 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

zgrowler2 posted:

Electrocube dies to pyro in no time and you can reliably one-cycle the regen phase with a multihit pyro ult, Amber L1 does the trick

I haven't tested geo daddy with geocube but if it works I'll be elated

lvl1 noelle burst kills the geocube the regen phase

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I decided to time myself because why the gently caress not, and the electro cube took me about 1:20 (Diluc/Chong) and the geocube was about 2:20 (Diluc/XQ + Zhongli). That timer on the geocube gets a hell of a lot longer if you can't one-cycle it.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Andrast posted:

lvl1 noelle burst kills the geocube the regen phase

shiiiiiit I gotta bring her with me, thanks for the heads up!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Flair posted:

Dang I got "like" a C8 Fischl trying to get a Bennett

30 pulls later. C10 Fischl and no Bennett. Almost at soft pity, so I will stop looking for a Bennett.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah don’t pull for a single character.

Goes triple if you already have one of them at c6 because the returns are such poo poo.

Wait for them to come in the store.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Goes triple if you already have one of them at c6 because the returns are such poo poo.

I need Ning C6, come on store rotation

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

I would not have minded extra constellations for my Sucrose, but Fischl keeps coming up again and again.

As a F2P player, instead of the shop, it is more cost effective to wait for Bennett for come again in another character banner where, hopefully, Fischl is also not part of it.

edit: Also Bennett is the only 4* I don't have.

Flair fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 25, 2020

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Different strokes for different folks. I can kill all the bosses easy (minus Oceanid), I can even no-hit the level 80 Childe fight, and I've managed to clear every single AR45 domain solo (although now that I've tried them co-op, never loving again). But I still can't beat Oceanid 100% of the time, if I get crabs and birds I'm just functionally incapable of handling them consistently. Even with a C6 Beidou (who still constantly bugs out with invisible electrified water) and C5 Fischl.

I've been grinding out the Thunder artifacts just to give myself a better chance at regularly beating Oceanid so I can level Childe, Mona, and Barbara.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cattail Prophet posted:

I'm mildly annoyed that Mona doesn't get a different one, too. She's not a Mondstadt native, dammit!

That's because her Vision is a keepsake from her mentor. She doesn't rely on it for her magic and she has no Vision of her own.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Archonex posted:

The last one was posted in the post above. It's the one that goes from record to the almost verse-like structure of the ascension materials. Also, note the constant references to being carried by the wind. Which may tie into the whole temple of time thing given that it and the anemo gem uses the same wording. Which if true is almost certainly (Given what we know about it. Somewhere in the depths of the lore is apparently a remark that time runs weirdly in Khaen'riah. And Paimon might have been their Archon at some point.) also linked to Khaen'riah. Which is linked to Dragonspine and the Scribe's poem/epitaph/whatever.

I should also add that this is definitely not all of the story about these characters. The tablets around the mountain appear to contain other parts of the story. Imunlaukr is mentioned in them and is explored a bit further. Also, if the guy whose name starts with a V (can't remember it) is the Scribe then he didn't even say a word at the end. One day he just walked off to climb the mountain and never came back, like the others. If he was the scribe who wrote the poem on the box then i'm guessing he basically committed suicide by proxy out of rage and despair at the world. Alternatively, he could be the king or someone else.

If someone has all of the tablet text and could post it here it'd probably shed light on it. :shrug:

Someone on reddit made a pretty decent theorypost about the new lore; it quotes a lot of the new information. Their interpretation of the tablets (and general course of events leading to the downfall of the country that formerly existed on Dragonspine) seems pretty accurate. Some details like there being another dragon besides Durin and Celestia previously being above Dragonspine are less supported by evidence. Draw your own conclusions, etc.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Bloody Emissary posted:

Someone on reddit made a pretty decent theorypost about the new lore; it quotes a lot of the new information. Their interpretation of the tablets (and general course of events leading to the downfall of the country that formerly existed on Dragonspine) seems pretty accurate. Some details like there being another dragon besides Durin and Celestia previously being above Dragonspine are less supported by evidence. Draw your own conclusions, etc.

Something in that --- the bit about the ancient flames being extinguished --- makes me wonder if the domains are each what happen when Celestia decides to go full Xenogears and start a planet wide purge again.

It'd explain why they're so hosed up, and why in some of them if you look carefully you can see that there's actually ruins indicating these places were inhabited once. Likewise, the whole sky freezing over thing could be literal, as that is exactly what happens in the cyro oriented domains. We're literally fighting our way through the apocalyptic times to harvest artifacts from a not so imaginary version of the imaginary tree. Teyvat's all kinds of hosed up not just in the societal sense, but also literally in the "Normative reality is borked to hell and back" sense as well.

Given that the ancient civilization talks about exploring antediluvian ruins to figure out if Celestia was going to murk them in the future, this cycle has to have been going on for a long time. Presumably Earth or some equivalent was one of the early examples.

Also, I should point out that all of this coincides with another theory --- that the Honkai equivalent in Genshin's universe also scales with the strength of humanity. Periodic purges means the worst you have to deal with is crazy thirsty electric ladies or other measly things instead of planet devouring crazy people empowered by the real (implied) demiurge itself and it's attendant eldritch abominations. Heck, as others have pointed out visions are granted similar to how Herrsher's are made, albeit possible being a version of the fakes to keep them from going nuts.

Maybe that's why Dainsleif is literally talking about the omnicidal insane/evil force as a way to resist the world. Dude is going crazy because Khaen'riah found a way to escape the cycle and advance beyond the genocidal purges of Celestia only for Honkai to run rampant. Or he just (in this case, rightfully) realizes that even fighting the Honkai is better than whatever totalitarian gnostic-esque demiurge-esque mass genocide system Celestia is in practicality.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 25, 2020

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

kater posted:

love how my resin priorities have shifted from getting stronger to LEVELS ON EVERYONE

Same. I don’t enjoy spiral abyss at all so now that I have groups that can clear every domain I’m just loving around with new party comps. I did a bunch of exploring today with Bennet wearing my Dilucs dps artifacts, a newly C6 Fischl, Diona, and Jean instead of my faceroll party. It’s a lot of fun.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Qwertycoatl posted:

Geo Cube mini-guide effortpost:

Bring a claymore user, level/weapon is completely irrelevant but if their HP is super low give them a good flower so they don't get one-shot if you make a mistake. Also bring some DPS people.

It'll start off by summoning pillars, then chill on top of those pillars while it attacks you. You can get a small amount of DPS in before it does the summon if you're quick.

What you want to do is get your claymore user to kill the pillar the cube is on. If you do this the cube will fall to the floor and be stunned for a bit. Take the opportunity to wail on it. Never kill a pillar if the cube isn't floating on top of it - if the cube moves, follow it.

When it's down to low HP it'll summon three pillars that you have to kill quickly. They're only vulnerable to claymores/(geo?)/(ults?) and it's based on hit count or something rather than actual damage. Noelle ult can kill them all in time even if she's low level.

Cube attacks:
* Starts pouring sand over the pillar. It'll shortly send out a big AoE. Run away then come back when it's done.
* Shoots a bunch of projectiles at you. Walk round in circles to avoid them, or stand as close the pillar as you can and the projectiles will hit the pillar instead of you
* Puts a circle around you that follows you as you move. It'll soon do a big attack on you, dash just before it lands to avoid it. If you're not comfortable with the timing switch to your least important character.
* Draws a lot of small circles on the ground, soon starts pounding them. Don't stand in them.
* The big nasty one. Summons a little crystal near its pillar, then shortly afterwards starts filling the screen with gigantic hugely damaging AoEs. If you kill the little crystal (takes 2-3 claymore hits) it'll make a shield you can stand under. The targetting can be a bit wonky because autotarget loves to hit the pillar instead, so it's easiest if you're out of range of the pillar while you kill the crystal. If you fail to kill the crystal in time then running to the edge of the arena might work and might make the cube de-aggro and start the fight again. I strongly recommend killing the crystal.

If you have XQ, his ult on a claymore user during the final three pillars phase will one round it no problem. The water swords do a lot of dmg to the pillars.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Ibblebibble posted:

That's because her Vision is a keepsake from her mentor. She doesn't rely on it for her magic and she has no Vision of her own.
Mona meets two of three signs of being an Archon: She is always broke, and doesn't really need a Vision. However she lacks gradient hair of the same color as her element so I guess she's normal.

I'll legit laugh if every single Archon is terrible with money or utterly opposed to ever spending their own. Baal sitting on a huge treasury of cash and Visions and she refuses to drop cash on street vendor sushi or something, Hydro Archon too poor to afford a good attorney, Tsaritsa delegates all financial decisions because if she ever has money she just loses it inexplicably, etc.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

This is a clear sign that Best Grad Student Mona will ascend to become the hydro archon.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

frajaq posted:

whats up with plants in this world

everything around the loot mechanics is about Resin, and you either use it on dead rear end trees or seeds
we feed creepy red crystals to an unknown tree in Dragonspire that seemed to be sealed beneath?
we track down the other crystals to unlock the new domain because it blooms ice flowers around them
Albedo got his hands on literal seed from another world (?!?!)

The trees seem to be a reference to the Imaginary Tree concept from Honkai. Or a world tree of sorts if not that.

Teyvat is all sorts of hosed up beneath the saccharine surface. If you proceed from that point onwards some of the answers to your questions become increasingly obvious or at least likely. To do a tl;dr of what people have discovered so far:

If you're very far into the lore and do a deep, deep, deep dive into it* it becomes extremely likely from we know for sure that Teyvat is essentially a barricade and sanctuary against the Honkai and some other unnamed force. Not just a planet, but possibly even the reality that Teyvat dwells in itself may basically be a sanctuary or ark against a cosmic, seemingly actually gnostic demiurge-like force that is ravaging the multiverse that all of the Impact related games take place in. In fact, Teyvat literally means ark. Unfortunately, the way it maintains this status is by a far more earthly presence known as Celestia, which itself essentially imposes itself in an equally gnostic fashion on the world as those two destructive forces do.

As a result, it shouldn't be surprising that the place is all kinds of hosed up. There are literally antediluvian amounts of time referenced in the lore, implying a continuing cycle of genocidal mass murder and destruction to keep humanity in it's place as unknowingly obedient to Celestia's will. Khaen'riah and the ancient civilization are just the latest folks to wake up to what awful hypocritical fuckers Celestia are and take a shot at bringing them down. Khaen'riah, or at least, those within whatever is left of it that still want to break this status quo are suggested (and in the case of Dainsleif, outright shown) to willingly court their own corruption and destruction if it means they have freedom from the totalitarian force Celestia represents.

Presumably the cyro archon is the same, albeit becoming arguably just as bad as Celestia itself is in the process of doing so. Likewise, the Archons have realized that Celestia is going to go all murder-tastic on Teyvat again soon now that the grand lie they've perpetrated is coming apart at the seams and appear to be taking differing perspectives ranging from the freedom twink's "lol why worry? Nothing bad can happen here!", to Zhongli's presumed approach of "gently caress it, let the cyro archon have my gnosis. Maybe she can do something with it. We're screwed as it is.", along with more radical perspectives like Raiden Mei's crazy-rear end "I'll hijack all the fake gnosis' and make a goddamn super weapon out of them! :science:" plan.

This is relevant, since as an "ark" that has had such a vast amount of time to occur (coupled with the genocidal assholes that Celestia are implied as actually being) a lot of poo poo has consequentially had time to go down.

For instance, one likely theory is that dragonspine mountain may be one of the ancient civilizations that preceded Khaen'riah being formed that tried to take out Celestia when they realized they had all been earmarked for death. Everything in Dragonspine we see may actually be an example of what happens when Celestia takes the gloves off and uses their reality warping powers to set the "habitability" button for a given region to negative levels. Cue all sorts of crazy poo poo littering the landscape like crystal plants and the like, along with eventually a batshit insane dragon tearing the place up after the humans are all dead, and generally just misery and carnage all around.

It also explains why Khaen'riah (or what is left of it) is implied to have gone full :black101: and has folks like Dainsleif outright choosing to commit suicide by proxy by taking on Honkai infections in the hopes of taking out Celestia. To quote that document at the bottom of this post:

quote:

There is something incredibly poetic in how far humanity is willing to go for its freedom, even if it means courting, choosing, its own ruin. That they would rather burn than receive the twisted protection of the gods.

As an ark (albeit one that is run by beings or possibly automated systems that are extremely xenophobic and classist on a literally existential level) it shouldn't be surprising that occasionally things from other worlds also slip in to the presumed safety that Teyvat represents as well. Presumably, that cues Kiana/the unknown goddess coming along to try to imprison them in the pseudo-gnostic hellhole that Teyvat actually is beneath the cheery surface.

Of course all this means is that Albedo straight up murdered an alien plant that, for all we know, could have been sentient if it had had time to grow properly just because "lol science". He comes across as kind of hosed up, and Rosaria is right not to trust him given a lot of the shadier aspects he's got. :stonk:

That would explain the seed from another world. Except...Not really. Y'see, you're falling for the whole gnostic-esque trap of perception by just looking at the surface details (And Genshin seems to love this poo poo. The lore makes you dig and the references to Gnosticism are everywhere.) and not the real mystery behind it all.

The real question isn't why the seed is from another world but rather how a guy who is supposedly just a commander of the Favonius Knights got his hands on it in the first place. Along with why he knew it was a seed from another world to begin with and not just some rare genus of plant that no one had ever seen before. Not knowing that makes him extremely suspicious.

*One guy had to write a dissertation to really get across how likely it is that Celestia is essentially pulling a gnostic con on the people of Teyvat. I recommend you read at least the last part of this https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IJtJdj5wFurO3FGPcm2DxgQ12T4zQBms6kcE5l8Kj30/edit to get an idea of how hosed up the world of Teyvat really is.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 25, 2020

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Archonex posted:

. Along with why he knew it was a seed from another world to begin with and not just some rare genus of plant that no one had ever seen before. Not knowing that makes him extremely suspicious.

*One guy had to write a dissertation to really get across how likely it is that Celestia is essentially pulling a gnostic con on the people of Teyvat. I recommend you read at least the last part of this https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IJtJdj5wFurO3FGPcm2DxgQ12T4zQBms6kcE5l8Kj30/edit to get an idea of how hosed up the world of Teyvat really is.

:stonk: jesus christ this cosmology

juicy details tho, thanks!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

frajaq posted:

:stonk: jesus christ this cosmology

juicy details tho, thanks!

No problem.

As for resin and the trees, just read this post. It does a pretty good job of putting forth a theory that there's some even weirder cosmology to Teyvat's setup as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact/comments/kjat4e/mysteries_of_the_ancient_civilisations_chief/

It goes into how all this ties into Dragonspine and the tree/resin stuff. TL;DR: The trees are unimportant. They're the plant equivalent of a terminal interface to access what's really important.

Or to put it in a more detailed way, the trees are drawing things from the leylines. Basically, think of a computer, or a vending machine. In the latter case you put money in and things come out. Only, how we're getting stuff like artifacts from them is...strange. But my bet is on it being more Sea of Quanta, multiverse, or time traveling stuff if it isn't just some Herrsher-esque "grind up the bad guys and make a reality altering artifact from it that can create matter ex nihilo" thing like HI3's humans did to create their Ark.

Or to put it the way that post does. The real silver tree is like wikipedia if it could materialize things for you. It's essentially a database of knowledge containing how to make...pretty much anything known, really. It's a repository of information that can be synthesized for anyone that knows how to access it and has the resources to do so. Presumably the other trees are just damaged variants of it. Hence why they give out random and specific goods.

Incidentally, this sounds like a high fantasy variant of exactly what the Ark from Honkai Impact was supposed to be able to do. The Ark in HI3 is described as a "genetic library of everything on Earth", capable of recreating the species away from the Honkai Infection that overran the planet.

Which means that there's literally at least two Ark's in Teyvat. One of which may not be native to Teyvat, being the Travelers. The other is linked to the terminal based leyline system that creates things (And has the dualistic lights emblematic of the ark's flying on the gacha screen. Which means that wishing is doing the same damned thing as what the trees/arks do as well!). Meanwhile, the Travelers have a more traditional Honkai Impact take on it (Represented by the same color of their dualistic light in the intro. Along with the fact that their wings in the intro are literally just a variant of the Fire Moth symbol from HI3's prehistory where the Ark was launched.).

All this means there's probably anywhere from 2-3 Arks from other timelines out there that we know of so far. You've got the monstrous gnostic trap that is the planet/reality ark of Teyvat, the humanoid-esque Traveler ark that are still seeking a new world, and assuming the Travelers aren't a variant of them the mysterious entities/possibly probes that represent the HI3 ark, which disappeared without a trace the moment that particular duo left the solar system. All of them are vastly different on account of coming from vastly different timelines.

That last bit is something I don't think anyone on Reddit has picked up on yet.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 25, 2020

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
holy poo poo you dont need resin for the glimmering essence rewards, you just go from point to point straight up murcin dudes

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

awesmoe posted:

holy poo poo you dont need resin for the glimmering essence rewards, you just go from point to point straight up murcin dudes

Is there just a set amount of the stuff per day or can I conceivably just not sleep and clear out the shop tonight? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Bussamove posted:

Is there just a set amount of the stuff per day or can I conceivably just not sleep and clear out the shop tonight? :v:

ill let you know when it stops me