Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

The game is awesome. My biggest complaint is no game will ever be as detailed or resemble anything like it again.

They spent 8 years building an entire city within a 20 square km area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I think a lot of people will just miss the little things because there's a lot of different levels of interplay. Like if you do the side job to take down Shobo it gives you a way to get out of Woodman's office without having to fight

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Like what? If you were a CDPR Dev and had been given 2 years to fully realize the open world of Night City, what would you have put there to keep players from feeling like there was nothing to do?

Gambling? Mini games with your choombas? Anything. Like you get to be with Jackie just enough to bond with him and he gets merced instantly. The game has pointless hooker scenes that you pay money for. That's one step away from blackjack and hookers.

I really appreciate the lengths that the devs went to realizing this world but feel a bit underwhelmed when I'm functionally just playing a broken Far Cry game.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I feel like I am playing a totally different game than a lot of you, most likely because I'm on a PS5

its bad right now. really fuckin bad. last patch made textures complete loving poo poo

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
I'm trying to think of other open world type games I've played that has more ways to meaningfully interact with the environment and I'm having trouble. The best I can come up with is Yakuza and it's almost entirely poorly designed to serviceable mini-games like karaoke, bowling, golf and heavily UI based business management (this isn't a knock on Yakuza, I like those games a lot). I don't think this is even true of Witcher 3, they were just able to hide it better with the sheer density of quality side quests.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Like what? If you were a CDPR Dev and had been given 2 years to fully realize the open world of Night City, what would you have put there to keep players from feeling like there was nothing to do?

Any of the things that have been standard in open world games since gta 3? Robbing stores for cash and items, holding up folks on the street, car chases, random escalating encounters with enemy gangs...

Night City would feel more dynamic if it were possible to be driving down the street (with better driving physics, of course) and run over a Maelstrom dude which causes some of his buddies roll up in a truck and you have an impromptu shootout/sword fight/quickhack encounter. Stuff like that has been standard since the PS2-era.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?

TheAgent posted:

I feel like I am playing a totally different game than a lot of you, most likely because I'm on a PS5

its bad right now. really fuckin bad. last patch made textures complete loving poo poo

Try thinking of it in terms of people who like playing Star Citizen

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Carew posted:

I'm trying to think of other open world type games I've played that has more ways to meaningfully interact with the environment and I'm having trouble. The best I can come up with is Yakuza and it's almost entirely poorly designed to serviceable mini-games like karaoke, bowling, golf and heavily UI based business management (this isn't a knock on Yakuza, I like those games a lot). I don't think this is even true of Witcher 3, they were just able to hide it better with the sheer density of quality side quests.

Cyberpunk would only be improved with a chicken property manager with a vendetta against the voodoo boys

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

TheAgent posted:

Yeah... On PC I've had some glitches here and there and the occasionnal crash to desktop. Playing it still is quite the different experience than what I'm seeing from other people's comments and videos. The fact it's struggling on PS5s makes one wonder what the gently caress they were thinking releasing it on PS4 and whatever the older xbox is called.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Cyberpunk would only be improved with a chicken property manager with a vendetta against the voodoo boys

Inevitable John Wick x Nugget mod

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

NoMas posted:

Try thinking of it in terms of people who like playing Star Citizen

Cyberpunk is a released game you can play right now from start to finish. It's buggy as hell if you're watching glitch compilation videos I guess.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Timotheous Venture posted:

Any of the things that have been standard in open world games since gta 3? Robbing stores for cash and items, holding up folks on the street, car chases, random escalating encounters with enemy gangs...

Night City would feel more dynamic if it were possible to be driving down the street (with better driving physics, of course) and run over a Maelstrom dude which causes some of his buddies roll up in a truck and you have an impromptu shootout/sword fight/quickhack encounter. Stuff like that has been standard since the PS2-era.

Soo.. you wanted a GTA clone.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Make winning a mahjong tournament a critical path requirement in cyberpunk

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Turin Turambar posted:

Open world interactivity in the open world game world be nice, yes.

Carew posted:

Make winning a mahjong tournament a critical path requirement in cyberpunk

Man mahjong and pachinko mini games would rule

gottagotowork
Jul 7, 2020

Bust Rodd posted:

Dungeons? Actual interactable NPC's (outside of story pertinent ones)? Environmental Puzzles? Random world events? Emergent gameplay?

I can understand if you feel there's already plenty in the game to keep you entertained, but come on let's not pretend they've exhausted all possibilities and that there's no way to improve an open world game besides sprinkling more markers on the map that are all just variations of the same "kill five dudes and walk away".

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm trying to think what for instance GTA5 does better, apart from some more diverse NPC interactions when trying to bother them. All I can think of is minigames that run quasi separate from the open world.

GTAV is an open world game in which the driving does not feel like unresponsive garbage, which is good considering the amount of time you spend in a car in that game. So it has that going for it. You can also rob stores, rip off armored trucks full of cash, taxi people around the city, customize almost every vehicle you find, buy safehouses, cause general mayhem that the AI actually responds to instead of a crowd NPC's all playing the same exact canned animation, etc etc etc

Look it's one thing to enjoy this game, but it's another thing entirely to try to convince other people that a game that opens with a montage placeholder for all the content they very obviously cut is fine as is and doesn't need any improvement whatsoever.

I have fun with some aspects of Cyberpunk, but I really don't understand how it isn't more obvious to people that what they're playing is essentially a vertical slice that was rushed into the finishing stages of production at the sacrifice of a very large portion of the design phase.

Turin Turambar posted:

You don't have to rip off an entire game to take notes from the aspects it gets right, dude. There's a reason gameplay mechanics and design decisions get copied across genres and game series: That's how game design works.

This is like saying The Witcher 3 is a GTA clone because it's an open world game where you 'drive' from mission marker to mission marker and GTA did that first

gottagotowork fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 24, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Gambling? Mini games with your choombas? Anything. Like you get to be with Jackie just enough to bond with him and he gets merced instantly. The game has pointless hooker scenes that you pay money for. That's one step away from blackjack and hookers.

I really appreciate the lengths that the devs went to realizing this world but feel a bit underwhelmed when I'm functionally just playing a broken Far Cry game.

What would gambling really add? You say the game is already one step away from gambling and hookers. Its like, you're saying the game is bad because it doesn't have gambling, but its also bad because it does have hookers and they're pointless.

Doesn't putting 2 and 2 together there draw the conclusion that if they did implement gambling, it would be shallow and feel pointless?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Timotheous Venture posted:

GTA 5 doesn't let you rob stores. You can only rob a handful of convenience stores, and the rewards are so pitiful nobody bothers doing it. And you can't really hold up people on the street either, although you can shoot them and grab :10bux: but you can do the same in Cyberpunk.

You can't rob banks or any other shops outside of scripted story missions.

Don't mis-represent.

The standard some of y'all seem to be holding Cyberpunk to is one that would leave literally every video game ever made wanting. There is no game that does what some of you seem to want. Its just not feasible.

Thus is the way of Star Citizen.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also for actual non bitching about this bad game content: have y’all seen this?

Basically the kerenzikov hop in combination with the epic legs (from Fingers) gives you some real good vertical flying/hovering for some real fun traversal.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Open world interactivity in the open world game world be nice, yes.

This game was never intended to be 'systemic gameplay' game, like having real cop chases, or anything like that. The open world is more for immersion and exploration, in service of the narrative experience. This is a narrative RPG.

It's like playing Doom Eternal and complaining it isn't like Half life. Just because it looks kinda similar (first person! weapon in the corner!) doesn't mean it has to be the same style of game.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

I wanted the world to be fun to be in, yes.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

There is so much night city left to explore you could open up some of the inaccessible towers and create entire scenarios from that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

columborumble posted:

Look it's one thing to enjoy this game, but it's another thing entirely to try to convince other people that a game that opens with a montage placeholder for all the content they very obviously cut is fine as is and doesn't need any improvement whatsoever.

yeah that's why the director's cuts of all those 80s movies are 6 hours long

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Turin Turambar posted:

It's like playing Doom Eternal and complaining it isn't like Half life. Just because it looks kinda similar (first person! weapon in the corner!) doesn't mean it has to be the same style of game.

Not a great comparison. Doom Eternal is a great game where the gameplay is built around getting you to play the way the devs intended and you are punished quickly and harshly if you don’t. To approach it as simply an FPS will just lead you to a bad time. Cyberpunk fails at this because it doesn’t corral you into what the devs prepares for you to do. It leaves you to wander a mostly static city without urging or punishing you for avoiding the meat of the game: it’s story

gottagotowork
Jul 7, 2020

Turin Turambar posted:

This game was never intended to be 'systemic gameplay' game, like having real cop chases, or anything like that. The open world is more for immersion and exploration, in service of the narrative experience. This is a narrative RPG.

Can we get some sources when people throw out what the game was 'intended' to be or not? Are you guys CDPR devs? Did you read this in a top secret pollack newspaper?

If every valid criticism of something can be waved off by saying "that was intentional" well then I never intended for my posts to be good so you can't criticize them

Turin Turambar posted:

This is a narrative RPG.

RPG's typically let you make more choices than "what ending FMV would you like to see?"

No, it isn't. According to CDPR, it's an 'Action-Adventure' game.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

GTA 5 doesn't let you rob stores. You can only rob a handful of convenience stores, and the rewards are so pitiful nobody bothers doing it. And you can't really hold up people on the street either, although you can shoot them and grab :10bux: but you can do the same in Cyberpunk.

You can't rob banks or any other shops outside of scripted story missions.

Don't mis-represent.

The standard some of y'all seem to be holding Cyberpunk to is one that would leave literally every video game ever made wanting. There is no game that does what some of you seem to want. Its just not feasible.

Thus is the way of Star Citizen.

You're right let me shoot a random person in cyberpunk for some eddies oh wait instant cops appeared before my very eyes but they have braindead ai and it can't actually lead to anything fun. Totally the same.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

What would gambling really add? You say the game is already one step away from gambling and hookers. Its like, you're saying the game is bad because it doesn't have gambling, but its also bad because it does have hookers and they're pointless.

Doesn't putting 2 and 2 together there draw the conclusion that if they did implement gambling, it would be shallow and feel pointless?

lol

No, I'm not saying the game is bad because they didn't add gambling. Read the posts you're answering to please. Being underwhelmed doesn't mean something is bad. If they're going to add all the pointless poo poo like awkward sex scenes for virtual money and a gun closet that shows you iconics then why not add other immersive poo poo? Are you arguing for leaving this deeply immersive RPG world at the depth of a Far Cry game?

Some of you really seem to have trouble understanding that people really love playing immersive RPGs like they're immersive RPGs and not just endless bespoke shooting galleries with story elements and broken RPG systems. I speak as a person who liked chilling with buddies in GTA 5. It's content and a can be a nice break of pace from the endless shooting, looting and shard reading.

And I'm not arguing that the game absolutely needs any of this, I was answering a question with incredibly simple examples because the game already has similar pointless functions.

Zaphod42 posted:

This isn't some long lost forgotten art. New Vegas was made in 18 months and had more stuff to do. You're selling the devs really short here.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

columborumble posted:

Are you talking about the montage when you first reach the city?

I thought it was a very effective way of giving your character some believable background, ie. you've spent time in the city doing contracts, met some fixers, got an apartment, etc. So it makes sense that you get the calls out of the blue.

columborumble posted:

I have fun with some aspects of Cyberpunk, but I really don't understand how it isn't more obvious to people that what they're playing is (words)

Maybe, just maybe they enjoy the game for what it is instead of whatever you think it was supposed to be?

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
gently caress those bd father and son duo . i loving blast them

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kraftwerk posted:

The game is awesome. My biggest complaint is no game will ever be as detailed or resemble anything like it again.

They spent 8 years building an entire city within a 20 square km area.

LOL.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zeta Acosta posted:

gently caress those bd father and son duo . i loving blast them

Kill the son first next time

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Bust Rodd posted:

Are we officially at the "those who can't create, critique" stage of the backlash to the backlash

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

And for what it's worth, in spite of my complaints about the world lacking certain dynamics, I do like the game. I didn't follow it at all pre-release so I might've just had the wrong expectations going in. But for all the hype and the extended development period I thought that moving around Night City between missions would've been more exciting. It sure does look nice though.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the worst part of this game is how its cybernetic implants that can replace literally every part of your body are about as interesting as the original deus ex

the game is already trivial, why not just make it crazy poo poo like turning into a nanoswarm or something

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
One thing I missed that would've fit nicely was the hack in Watchdogs 2 to get cops/enemy gangers to roll up on a target. Other than that I was mostly bummed Trauma Team wasn't like, an active part of the game.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
a trauma team game where you are one of the medics with the giant gently caress off rifles saving unfortunate high-ranking corporate drones from ice baths basically writes itself

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I just did the quest where the street barker sells you a special braindance and knocks you out then sells you to the same bunch of scavs who kidnapped Sandra Dorsett. You wake up buck naked in a bathtub with all your poo poo in a locker... but they apparently didn't know what kind of psychotic murderer named V they were dealing with. In the second part, I made sure to sneak up and snap the neck of every goddamn bastard in that building, and rather than pick up any weapons or clothing, when I finally got detected, I beat the rest of them to death with my bare hands, still naked out of pure rage. Once I got back to my motorcycle, I got on, drove back to the motherfucker who betrayed me, and chased him down then beat him to death with my bare hands, because the game forced me to let him go in the dialogue.

I feel like CDPR undersold V's reaction to that situation.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

you cant get your money back from that quest which is kinda funny that they just made an optional quest where you get bamboozled and almost killed

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It's funny, how for the first 80 hours I didn't have that much of a problem with the game, and now that I'm trying it to finish it I'm having more issues.
-I'm seeing now (since 1.05 more or less, but it could be coincidence) more car crashes, random car explosions, etc.
-In a boss fight I lost the hud indicating the boss health
-In of my my attempts to said boss fight, upon finishing, the movement of the mouse got somehow decoupled from the weapon.
-Now I'm talking to Birgitte, and I'm having the bug of the facial animation not loading. I have seen that a few times in unnamed npcs and tertiary characters, but it's the first time I have it on the main quest on notable character.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Are you arguing for leaving this deeply immersive RPG world at the depth of a Far Cry game?

As opposed to what? The game is what it is. You arguing that it should be some mythical everything-game when no such game has or ever will exist is nonsense.

It has as much depth as any other open world game does.

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Some of you really seem to have trouble understanding that people really love playing immersive RPGs like they're immersive RPGs and not just endless bespoke shooting galleries with story elements and broken RPG systems. I speak as a person who liked chilling with buddies in GTA 5. It's content and a can be a nice break of pace from the endless shooting, looting and shard reading.

And I'm not arguing that the game absolutely needs any of this, I was answering a question with incredibly simple examples because the game already has similar pointless functions.

This isn't some long lost forgotten art. New Vegas was made in 18 months and had more stuff to do. You're selling the devs really short here.

This is an immersive RPG. You can read infinite text files. Each situation has multiple approaches. You can build lots of different characters. Its a huge open world and you can stumble into cool stuff.

Do you think Deus Ex isn't an immersive RPG because there's no fishing minigame??

What all does New Vegas have that this doesn't? A slot machine? That barely works??

"And I'm not arguing the game needs any of this" lmao, what :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

Are we officially at the "those who can't create, critique" stage of the backlash to the backlash

Its one thing to say that if you can't create you can't critique. Its another thing to say that if you can't even make a suggestion of how it could be better, then your criticism is somewhat flawed.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

One thing I missed that would've fit nicely was the hack in Watchdogs 2 to get cops/enemy gangers to roll up on a target. Other than that I was mostly bummed Trauma Team wasn't like, an active part of the game.

Cyberpsychosis basically does this, but its a legendary level hack. Cop call wouldn't work in dungeons/buildings/whatever but would be a nice flavor thing for the street. There's a lot of nice-to-haves we can come up with though.