Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Ah ha! Because you’re supposed to be taking a west

But if I take a west, the other end faces east!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Splicer posted:

Imagine you're the screw. If you turn clockwise you're turning to your right, if you're turning anticlockwise you're turning to your left.

This guy said anti clockwise

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In my house we say sunwise and widdershins

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

iwentdoodie posted:

Screws only have one side! They're one piece!

Here’s a poorly drawn diagram to demonstrate my particular brain malfunction

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I use starboard and larboard tyvm

Aye Lucky Jack, and an extra ration of two water for everyone ahead of the mast!

Henker
May 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/jackmactonight/status/1342197431711092736

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Shithouse Dave posted:

Close your eyes. Turn right. But your butt turned left!!!!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I think it would be much easier to explain left/right if you used a weathervane as a visual aid.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Shithouse Dave posted:

I have enormous problems with “lefty loosey, righty tighty “ for undoing screws and such. They’re round. When one side goes left, the other goes right! Why would you not just use clockwise and anticlockwise??

Because Lefty Loosey is alliterative, and righty tighty rhymes. Thats why, its to help people remember. There arent many good relevant rhymes for clockwise.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Ambitious Spider posted:

the big man is clarence, not bruce

Lol, nice

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/MattOswaltVA/status/1341904298112761858?s=20

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
time of the year for this classic again:

https://twitter.com/tristanreveur/status/938702210732396545?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSvsy11PHxM

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Shithouse Dave posted:

I have enormous problems with “lefty loosey, righty tighty “ for undoing screws and such. They’re round. When one side goes left, the other goes right! Why would you not just use clockwise and anticlockwise??

Instead of having an existential crisis about existing in three dimensions, think of it as turning your hand left(y loosey) to undo the screw vs turning your hand right(y tighty) to tighten it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Knormal posted:

Are... Are the balls above the dick?

Is this where the whole "down under" thing comes from?

I didn't want this to get lost in the weird pissy chat about directions, but yes. Marsupials have what you might call an underslung barrel. Also the marsupial penis is bifurcated to match the vaginal canal of the females.

Evolution is wild.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Ambitious Spider posted:

the big man is clarence, not bruce

:rip:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Shithouse Dave posted:

That...that doesn't change anything. A screw is one solid piece. If you turn it right, it goes right. No part of it goes left, unless you're looking at it from inside whatever it's in.

I'm seriously amazed and confused right now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

iwentdoodie posted:

That...that doesn't change anything. A screw is one solid piece. If you turn it right, it goes right. No part of it goes left, unless you're looking at it from inside whatever it's in.

I think they're incapable of understanding things like "top" and "bottom"

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Huh...that's weird when their moms are such experts

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Skwirl posted:

For a forum that talks so much such about cishet people you'd think this would be elementary smdh

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I have always interpreted "Righty tighty" to apply to which way I'm turning my wrist, not the thing being turned.

A good vicious thread.

https://twitter.com/BittrScrptReadr/status/1342287518792708096

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have always interpreted "Righty tighty" to apply to which way I'm turning my wrist, not the thing being turned.

A good vicious thread.

https://twitter.com/BittrScrptReadr/status/1342287518792708096

There's gonna be so many absolutely vicious obits for him when he dies.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Skwirl posted:

There's gonna be so many absolutely vicious obits for him when he dies.

Oh, I wish. loving Nixon got a state funeral and lots of both-sides editorials and obits.

e:

https://twitter.com/T_Artifacts/status/1342294399326142465

Arsenic Lupin has a new favorite as of 03:22 on Dec 25, 2020

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
Oh my god have you people never done the right-hand trick? Take your right hand and do a thumbs-up and point your thumb where you want the screw to go. The way your fingers curl is how you turn the screw driver.
Goons constantly amaze me that they can survive with this little common sense.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

iwentdoodie posted:

Imagine the point at the end of an hour hand as it goes around the clock. It is always moving clockwise, but the point itself moves right then left, as well as down then up. If you view a screw from above as you screw it in, you'll see the same thing: a point along the top edge is moving to the right (from your perspective) and a point along the bottom edge is moving to the left.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Elysiume has a new favorite as of 03:29 on Dec 25, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ewiley posted:

Oh my god have you people never done the right-hand trick? Take your right hand and do a thumbs-up and point your thumb where you want the screw to go. The way your fingers curl is how you turn the screw driver.
Goons constantly amaze me that they can survive with this little common sense.
The only right-hand rule I ever memorized was the one for which direction the magnetic force is moving. And I forget why I needed that one.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Elysiume posted:

Imagine the point at the end of an hour hand as it goes around the clock. It is always moving clockwise, but the point itself moves right then left, as well as down then up. If you view a screw from above as you screw it in, you'll see the same thing: a point along the top edge is moving to the right (from your perspective) and a point along the bottom edge is moving to the left.

Righty tighty, not reichty tighty

Trevor Hale has a new favorite as of 03:36 on Dec 25, 2020

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Elysiume posted:

Swastikas aside that's still loving nonsensical. The point, as viewed from your point of view, is clockwise, or right. Thats why it has a loving name.

Can you not drive west because at some point you are, from your current position, actually driving east? We don't live in a 2D world.

Jfc theres no way this isn't an absurd troll that I'm falling for.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I understand the "but part is going left" thing

For righty tighty, it's the top part of the screw relative to your vision, just as if it were a steering wheel. HTH you are no longer confused.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Elysiume posted:

Just remember this simple rule: righty À terre, lefty Arriére

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Trevor Hale posted:

Righty tighty, not reichty tighty
:goleft:

iwentdoodie posted:

Swastikas aside that's still loving nonsensical

The point, as viewed from your point of view, is clockwise, or right. Thats why it has a loving name.

Can you not drive west because at some point you are, from your current position, actually driving east? We don't live in a 2D world.
It sounds like you're considering it from the perspective of if you were standing at the end of the hour hand, looking out from the center of the clock: you are, from your own perspective, always moving to the right (and if you were looking at the center of the clock, you'd always be moving to the left). If you painted a dot at the end of the hour hand and hung the clock on the wall, when the hour hand sweeps past 6 o'clock, from your perspective, is the dot moving to the left or the right? When someone is screwing in a screw, their frame of reference does not move, and a point along the bottom half of the screw is, from their perspective, moving to the left.

Elysiume has a new favorite as of 04:05 on Dec 25, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/starsshine77/status/1341159463152185346

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The only right-hand rule I ever memorized was the one for which direction the magnetic force is moving. And I forget why I needed that one.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Elysiume posted:

:goleft:
It sounds like you're considering it from the perspective of if you were standing at the end of the hour hand, looking out from the center of the clock: you are, from your own perspective, always moving to the right (and if you were looking at the center of the clock, you'd always be moving to the left). If you painted a dot at the end of the hour hand and hung the clock on the wall, when the hour hand sweeps past 6 o'clock, from your perspective, is the dot moving to the left or the right? When someone is screwing in a screw, their frame of reference does not move, and a point along the bottom half of the screw is, from their perspective, moving to the left.

Okay, that analogy at least gets me to understand where you're coming from.

Its still incredibly fuckin stupid and complicating a very simple idea, but I get where your brain is broken now.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

iwentdoodie posted:

Its still incredibly fuckin stupid and complicating a very simple idea, but I get where your brain is broken now.
I actually have no issues with screws/left/right; I was in a similar discussion before and was trying to clarify things based on it (which seemed to backfire). :shrug:

Elysiume has a new favorite as of 04:23 on Dec 25, 2020

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/dannyderaney/status/1342156541663703041?s=21

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

One day Jon Bois will read this thread and make a glorious video about it.

https://youtu.be/eECjjLNAOd4

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I love these stupid dead gay forums and their dumb arguments.

An all-time classic that came across my twitter feed again recently:
https://twitter.com/KestrelPi/status/791601056522334208

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

The problem with right-hand rules is that there are also some left-hand rules and I can never remember which applies to what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

iwentdoodie posted:

Imagine that you have to turn a ship’s wheel, but it’s a super tall one. It’s so high that your head is just level with the bottom of the wheel. You can still reach in front of you and grab the spoke hanging down to turn the wheel though.

Which way do you move the spoke to turn the wheel clockwise?