Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

I'm very surprised the shop let you pick it up in that condition...
Take a pic, but I think your fastest solution would be to replace the chain.
If it's a 9spd, it wouldn't be that pricy, either.

I’ll take a pic in a bit. It’s a 21 speed with 3 gears in the front and 7 in the back. Would that be a 7 speed chain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Dren posted:

I’ll take a pic in a bit. It’s a 21 speed with 3 gears in the front and 7 in the back. Would that be a 7 speed chain?

Yes, though I believe 7, 8, 9 speed chains are the same width.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Yes, though I believe 7, 8, 9 speed chains are the same width.
9 speed is narrower. Get an 8 or 7 speed chain, but be prepared for it to not fix your problems (or even create a new problem) depending in chainring and cassette/freewheel wear.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Whoop -- I guess it's 6/7/8.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Here are pics of my cassette and chain

with flash

without flash

It doesn't look as bad as it did but like I said, I put a whole can of degreaser on it getting the thick black grease off. I already have a spare chain, I can throw that on there and hope it gets fixed. Could problems have been caused by me mixing the grease that remained after degreasing with normal chain lube?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

VelociBacon posted:

Is this a troll post? Why are you putting sealant in tubes?

I have BELL brand tubes with sealant and they got me back to the start with thorns in the tires. That’s why.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

I have BELL brand tubes with sealant and they got me back to the start with thorns in the tires. That’s why.

Have you tried just straight up tubeless tires with sealant? Probably less fuss and lighter and better sealing properties and cheaper.

e: Don't tubes have that talc-like powder in them? Wouldn't adding sealant to normal tubes just cause it all to gum up?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dren posted:

with flash

That's still visibly caked in sand? Your cogs look fine-ish. Start by swapping your chain after actually cleaning your drivetrain.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

evil_bunnY posted:

That's still visibly caked in sand? Your cogs look fine-ish. Start by swapping your chain after actually cleaning your drivetrain.

Yeah i didn’t notice the sand until i saw the pictures. The lighting in my garage isn’t great.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I've used both orange seal and stans in my latex tubes. There's definitely a talc powder or something inside them too. I used Stan's cuz I had a slow leak on ragbrai and oddly enough it's what was most readily available in that moment. Orange seal I've put in preemptively because I knew I was going on a longer and more remote ride.

Both options will absolutely keep you rolling through a puncture or whatever. Stan's gets a little weird when the tube starts to deflate so I'd recommend orange seal for future use. Why would a person use tubes and sealant? Because it's the best of both worlds. It's exactly as easy to setup as a standard clincher would be and you get the puncture protection benefits of sealant. I'm surprised it's not more common.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I remember putting some kind of slime in the tubes of my BMX bike as a kid. Garbage rear end SW Kansas is full of goat heads.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Yeah, that Slime brand tube sealant stuff has been around forever.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I cleaned the cassette and the chainrings with degreaser and a brush then put a new chain on.

I pedaled and shifted it while it was still on the bike stand and it didn't seize up.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

VelociBacon posted:

Have you tried just straight up tubeless tires with sealant? Probably less fuss and lighter and better sealing properties and cheaper.

e: Don't tubes have that talc-like powder in them? Wouldn't adding sealant to normal tubes just cause it all to gum up?

I scored a bunch of Vittoria 559-40 Rubino Pros slicks so no, although I do have the sealant.

I’d probably do the trick with the 20” tubes if I went tubeless.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Everyone I rode with in Arizona put sealant in their tubes, because it saved from having to fix a leak out on the trail every 3rd ride. Some people had mixed results with a tubeless setup, and issues of it drying out in the heat or just not cutting it with how much thorny plant life we had.

Dubai has similar problems with heat and drying out, and while the plant life is a little less hostile, it's still fairly prickly when it's around. I'll take the valve core out and see what I can do. A lot of people here on their road bikes ride tubeless, but trainer/cycle track is different from desert and mountain bike, and I'll take the extra bit of insurance against leaks/flats over a bit more weight any day.

Copperhound - thanks for the suspension advice, bike will be going into the shop later this week for them to take a look at it.

Thanks!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Crumps Brother posted:

It's exactly as easy to setup as a standard clincher would be and you get the puncture protection benefits of sealant. I'm surprised it's not more common.
I've tried riding with slime tubes on my cargo bike in the winter because WGAF about road feel on studded tires, and also, studded tires.
This winter I didn't bother cause it's hardly snowed at all.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I put a left crank power meter on my bike. I didn’t pay attention to what the gap between the crank arm and the bottom bracket looked like before I took off the old crank. Is the gap between the crank and the spacer supposed to exist? I put the old crank back on and it seemed to be there still.

This is what is looks like.

I think it’s supposed to be there, there’s a little metal circle in there that’s warped in such a way as to force a gap to exist.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dren posted:

I put a left crank power meter on my bike. I didn’t pay attention to what the gap between the crank arm and the bottom bracket looked like before I took off the old crank. Is the gap between the crank and the spacer supposed to exist? I put the old crank back on and it seemed to be there still.

This is what is looks like.

I think it’s supposed to be there, there’s a little metal circle in there that’s warped in such a way as to force a gap to exist.

I believe that little metal circle is a wave washer which is a compression spring - I don't think you're done tightening that crank on but I could be wrong.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It's called a wave washer. There should be some gap, but not that much- more like a little less than 1mm. You fill the gap with thin plastic shims. A bike shop would probably give you some for free.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
The original crank has a bit more depth to it so when i tighten it equally (just a guess, i don’t have a torque wrench) the gap’s a little smaller. There’s one of those shims in there but I’ll get more.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Dren posted:

The original crank has a bit more depth to it so when i tighten it equally (just a guess, i don’t have a torque wrench) the gap’s a little smaller. There’s one of those shims in there but I’ll get more.

There really should be hardly any gap at all, the wave washer should be almost completely compressed. Looks like an FSA Carbon Stages, so it should be bolted down to like 40n-m, which is a lot.

Do not ride with it that loose unless you want a half dozen things to go wrong (premature spindle wear, bearing wear, drivetrain wear, bad shifting, ruining the splined interface, cranks literally falling off, etc.)

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Ok, I found the proper instructions.

38-41 Nm, 1.5-2.2mm clearance between crank arm and bearing shield, wave spring washer must be in contact on both sides.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I just took my bike out for a ride last night and noticed that the front was extra wobbly and a slight lean to one side or the other would cause the front tire to turn strongly in that direction which was not a lot of fun. I put a ~2lb front rack on the bike a couple months ago, but this is the first time I'm noticing this, so I do not think it's that. Any ideas as to what might be wrong?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Check your axles first, sounds like it might not be tight. If it is see if there is any bearing play.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mauser posted:

I just took my bike out for a ride last night and noticed that the front was extra wobbly and a slight lean to one side or the other would cause the front tire to turn strongly in that direction which was not a lot of fun. I put a ~2lb front rack on the bike a couple months ago, but this is the first time I'm noticing this, so I do not think it's that. Any ideas as to what might be wrong?

If you lift the front of the bike up and spin the wheel is it straight? Did you have to undo the wheel to install the rack (and maybe not tighten it back on fully set into the dropouts)? Is the tire pressure low (I think it's this)?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Picked up a used Fuji Newest 2.0 for a good enough price for my wife to use. Its got some weathering but is otherwise straight and everything works.

My plan:
- Toss the Sora components, they have significant mileage and wear.
- Buy myself GRX components for my bike.
- Move my great condition Tiagra gear to the Fuji. Crank, derailleurs, brifters (I had previously upgraded mine to hydro brakes so I have the other set of mechanical brifters sitting there. The rim brakes are going to be fine for her use.)
- The 10 speed cassette SHOULD fit on the 9 speed wheel, correct? With a 10 speed chain.
- Is there any reason why I would need a different bottom bracket with the crank swap?
- The wheels are 622x14. The frame looks like I can max out at 32mm tires. They SHOULD fit on those rims.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

FogHelmut posted:

Picked up a used Fuji Newest 2.0 for a good enough price for my wife to use. Its got some weathering but is otherwise straight and everything works.

My plan:
- Toss the Sora components, they have significant mileage and wear.
- Buy myself GRX components for my bike.
- Move my great condition Tiagra gear to the Fuji. Crank, derailleurs, brifters (I had previously upgraded mine to hydro brakes so I have the other set of mechanical brifters sitting there. The rim brakes are going to be fine for her use.)
- The 10 speed cassette SHOULD fit on the 9 speed wheel, correct? With a 10 speed chain.
- Is there any reason why I would need a different bottom bracket with the crank swap?
- The wheels are 622x14. The frame looks like I can max out at 32mm tires. They SHOULD fit on those rims.

Shimano 8/9/10spd are the same total width, so should work.
Give the current BB bearings a spin in your fingers and see if it feels gritty, otherwise there’s no reason to swap the a BB. Also check for axial (side to side) play.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003

kgibson posted:

Hey all, still no luck with this issue. I did end up swapping out pulleys and retrying b-screw and cable tension adjustments to no avail. I also tried adjusting the tension on the chain by moving the wheels around in the dropouts, but that didn't make much difference at all. I grabbed a quick vid of the noise I'm trying to address:

https://imgur.com/UwrgWLA

(Sorry for the shakiness and portrait orientation.)

The clicking in the third to smallest cog is the issue. The same noise is present to a lesser extent in the fourth largest. They seem worse in the small ring but are present in both.

Hey everyone, an update on this, for anyone interested: the alignment tool showed up today, and after fumbling with it for a bit, it became quite clear that the hanger was misaligned vertically, which makes sense given that the bike has fallen a couple of times within the last several months. A quick adjustment and it seems to have cleared up the racket! Thanks to you all for your help with this.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

kgibson posted:

Hey everyone, an update on this, for anyone interested: the alignment tool showed up today, and after fumbling with it for a bit, it became quite clear that the hanger was misaligned vertically, which makes sense given that the bike has fallen a couple of times within the last several months. A quick adjustment and it seems to have cleared up the racket! Thanks to you all for your help with this.

:hf:

hanger aligner tool is a great tool to have

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I guess this is a good place to ask as well as the AI thread.

My new wheels mention needing minimum separation from car exhaust. My hitch rack isn’t far enough out currently. I’m thinking of adding a riser to get the bike up higher and away. Any other ideas?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

My new wheels mention needing minimum separation from car exhaust. My hitch rack isn’t far enough out currently. I’m thinking of adding a riser to get the bike up higher and away. Any other ideas?

No ideas but I've seen wheels that were not separated sufficiently from car exhaust and uhhh they ain't joking around. Err on the side of not just the minimum separation imo...

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Ha! Totally wrong bike thread.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Take the wheel off or put an old wheel on if it's the type of rack where the bike rests on the tires.

I had a tire burned through by exhaust at a race as a kid, it for sure can happen.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Complicated heat shield on the rack, or move your exhaust.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Take the wheel off or put an old wheel on if it's the type of rack where the bike rests on the tires.

I had a tire burned through by exhaust at a race as a kid, it for sure can happen.

It's a dual exhaust, and it's a 1up hitch rack, so there isn't a way to take off one or two wheels.

FogHelmut posted:

Complicated heat shield on the rack, or move your exhaust.

Wondering if replacing the tips with a down facing tip would work?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It's a dual exhaust, and it's a 1up hitch rack, so there isn't a way to take off one or two wheels.

Wondering if replacing the tips with a down facing tip would work?

I mean, I'm assuming the issue is direct application of hot gasses to the wheel. Radiant heat from the exhaust pipe itself shouldn't be an issue unless you're very close, or driving extremely aggressively for extended periods.

quote:

“Rear-facing exhaust tips that line up with the bike rack and lower portion of the rim can do the damage,” said David Agaptio, tech services and warranty manager at DT-Swiss USA. Fogle suggests adding turn-down tips to redirect heat away from your rack and bike. Another solution is to add a riser or swing-away kit that safely spaces the rack away from the exhaust.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

I mean, I'm assuming the issue is direct application of hot gasses to the wheel. Radiant heat from the exhaust pipe itself shouldn't be an issue unless you're very close, or driving extremely aggressively for extended periods.

The sticker says a minimum clearance of 45cm/18' behind, and 20cm/8" above. That is a pretty sizeable length for a rack to be away from the car.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The sticker says a minimum clearance of 45cm/18' behind, and 20cm/8" above. That is a pretty sizeable length for a rack to be away from the car.

Yeah I'm not sure how that's possible with a hitch carrier on most cars.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I got a torque wrench and properly torqued my crank. The resulting gap is as prescribed by the manual I found. I had under tightened it by a quarter turn or so, not sure what it was at. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah I'm not sure how that's possible with a hitch carrier on most cars.

This is why I've stuck with a roof rack (that and being cheap as gently caress).