Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
The issue that arises with the 3090 is that in absolute terms I can “afford” it; I don’t want to spend my rent check on getting it and the monitor.

I’ve also lurked in those discord’s and other places and never quite scored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
LG 27GN800-B $320 (LG partner program)
Lenovo Legion Y27q-20 $360 (lenovo partner program)
Dell 2721 DGF $395 (12% off code)

Which monitor should I go with? They all seem similar but it seems to come down to support.

I will be using it for gaming and working and some photo editing. It's replacing my Dell S2417DG YNY1D (165hz TN) or Dell U2415 (60HZ IPS)... Haven't decided yet. I usually use my ips for photo editing and my working.

Although I think I might just use my C9 65inch for photo editing...

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 27, 2020

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
What's the go to 24" monitor these days? I've got an aging U2412M and was looking at a U2419H to plug a laptop into, but apparently it's not got enough nits on the white and too many nits on the black? And people angry about response time being too high?

The recommended monitors in the first couple of posts sadly hasn't been updated since 2016 :corsair:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I bought an LG 24ML44B-B as a semi-impulse buy online at Best Buy yesterday and it is supposed to be delivered today :stare:. It was marked down to $109.99 and had free shipping. This is intended mostly as an external monitor for work laptops, so we'll see how it goes. I don't have high expectations, and anything will be a step up from the garbage 22" Dell that has been serving that purpose for way too long.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I have a question I don't think anyone has a concrete answer for, but with 4K 144+hz IPS 1ms *toolman grunts* monitors retailing around $700 MSRP, does anyone see them dropping in price somewhere in 2021? I'm thinking to upgrade my 2K monitor to 4K and using the 2K one vertically in my setup, but I'm trying to figure if it's better to wait a bit for prices to drop or if my options will be the same a year from now as they are currently.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Raimondo posted:

I recently upgraded to a new PC, and now I don't have a DVI port anymore which means it's time to retire my Dell E228WFPC.

I currently also have an Acer H236HL. I'm looking to find something that would pair well with that as a co-monitor. Currently mainly use this computer for internet browsing, remoting to my work computer, and light gaming. The new computer I built uses a 1660 Super. Any recommendations? Looking for something <$150.

The E228WFPC is a DVI-D monitor. DVI-D and HDMI 1.0 are electrically compatible, all you need is a cable that converts the connection.

Munkaboo posted:

Which monitor should I go with? They all seem similar but it seems to come down to support.

I will be using it for gaming and working and some photo editing. It's replacing my Dell S2417DG YNY1D (165hz TN) or Dell U2415 (60HZ IPS)... Haven't decided yet. I usually use my ips for photo editing and my working.

Although I think I might just use my C9 65inch for photo editing...

They're all LG panels, probably the same or very closer revisions of it. The 27GN800 should theoretically supercede the 27GL83A and be the best value of the bunch, but without seeing a review from somewhere trustworthy I'd be a bit cautious of it. The other two are extremely similar and both very good and I'd probably just buy the Lenovo since it's cheaper.

ShredsYouSay posted:

What's the go to 24" monitor these days? I've got an aging U2412M and was looking at a U2419H to plug a laptop into, but apparently it's not got enough nits on the white and too many nits on the black? And people angry about response time being too high?

The recommended monitors in the first couple of posts sadly hasn't been updated since 2016 :corsair:

1080p monitors are extremely commoditized at this point. It's very hard to justify something like the Dell ultrasharp premium on what is effectively a budget monitor these days. Unless you have very specific needs, I'd just be searching 24" 1080p IPS on Amazon and buying whatever has the connectivity you need and good reviews. OTOH if you actually want to spend close to $300, maybe you want a 4k monitor? It all depends what your laptop is, what your use case is, etc.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Munkaboo posted:

On the Lenovo: https://youtu.be/U3bUfqBnWB4?t=3m21s

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Thanks. Alternatively I could just go ham and get the samsung crg9. YOLO?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

LODGE NORTH posted:

I have a question I don't think anyone has a concrete answer for, but with 4K 144+hz IPS 1ms *toolman grunts* monitors retailing around $700 MSRP, does anyone see them dropping in price somewhere in 2021? I'm thinking to upgrade my 2K monitor to 4K and using the 2K one vertically in my setup, but I'm trying to figure if it's better to wait a bit for prices to drop or if my options will be the same a year from now as they are currently.

I don’t think prices will be hugely different in a year tbh. Monitors don’t generally come down quickly enough to make it worth waiting in general, and right now the whole industry is straining just to keep product on the shelf and it probably won’t calm down much until covid is over and people are going back to the office.

Maybe we will see a 10% decline absolute tops, if everything goes well, and that number could also be zero. Costco has been running some deals on the 4K144 monitors, if you could get something for $650 or so I’d say that’s a good deal, best case scenario maybe they will hit $600 or $570.

We live in the times of “just buy it”, if you need it and it’s available and the price isn’t completely lovely then just go for it.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 28, 2020

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

K8.0 posted:

1080p monitors are extremely commoditized at this point. It's very hard to justify something like the Dell ultrasharp premium on what is effectively a budget monitor these days. Unless you have very specific needs, I'd just be searching 24" 1080p IPS on Amazon and buying whatever has the connectivity you need and good reviews. OTOH if you actually want to spend close to $300, maybe you want a 4k monitor? It all depends what your laptop is, what your use case is, etc.

This is for basically the same colour reproduction as the UX410U. I very stupidly got a cheap LED AOC monitor which is fuzzy, has atrocious colour reproduction where everything looks super desaturated (e.g. pure red looks like salmon) and extreme light bleeding.

Looking through Amazon, most reviews for IPS 24" monitors are "5 stars, my son loved it, it's much better than my 2002 TN screen" or "1 stars, colours and light bleeding are bad compared to this other monitor which is no longer available to buy".

The use case is primarily coding and graphical design for web apps rather than shootmans, so I don't need high refresh. I'm swithering about 4k.

Checking out this one currently:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-276E8VJSB-00-276E8VJS-Monitor/dp/B07HNS43Z5

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Trying to get a decent monitor for gaming I was thinking The Viewsonic 2458 would be suitable for what I wanted? Intending to get at least a radeon 6800 or 3070/80 in the coming future and dont wanna mess anything up though I'm waiting for those to come down and using a 1070 in the meantime.

AkumaHokoru fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 28, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AkumaHokoru posted:

Trying to get a decent monitor for gaming I was thinking The Viewsonic 2458 would be suitable for what I wanted? Intending to get at least a radeon 6800 or 3070/80 in the coming future and dont wanna mess anything up though I'm waiting for those to come down and using a 1070 in the meantime.
I've got the Viewsonic 2758-2KP-MHD (which I think is the same but that one is 24) and it's fine except a few problems:
a) the OSD is loving garbage. so be it.

b) When the page is filled up with yellows/oranges/reds, it flickers INSANELY badly at 144 hz. To solve this, you need to use CRU or Nvidia CP to setup a custom resolution. I had to drop my refresh rate from 144hz to 142 hz to fix it. This is a common problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Fff2sncq0

c) Every so often my monitor will just flick off and on back on still (with GSync-Compatible enabled). I've tried several DisplayPort cables and didn't seem to make a difference but dropping RR down to 142 also reduced the frequency of this quite a lot so it's only maybe once or twice a day tops.

I dont know if these problems still apply to the 24" model. Overall screen is nice enough, viewing angle is nice enough, colors are nice enough. Definitely is more a budget-friendly option

e: Oh woah hold on. That's one there you have linked is a TN panel, bleggh. If you're fine with 1080p TN panel, then fine. Just be aware TN panels will often look like washed out rear end for teh most part. If you have an IPS/VA monitor right now, it'd be a noticeble downgrade. If you have a TN panel right now, then you probably won't notice and it'll be an upgrade.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 28, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Whelp, on an impulse I ordered the LG 27GL83A-B to replace my old generic Dell 1080p60 monitor.

Hopefully I didn't screw up! :haw:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what should i test on this lg 27gl850 with? I dont have a fancy graphics card (only a 980ti on my windows and my mac well lol)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

what should i test on this lg 27gl850 with? I dont have a fancy graphics card (only a 980ti on my windows and my mac well lol)

Any game that the 980ti gets high FPS with, I'd think?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

How much nicer daily productivity stuff is on a higher refresh rate monitor. I can't go back to 60hz now, it's so painful.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
For my 970, Portal 2 and Half Life 2 were good showcases of 144Hz. Any darker scenes, though looked pretty crap (not related to the frame rate, just how dark stuff is on it).

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Portal 2 is good. If you have Borderlands 2 you can probably get decent FPS from it, too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I only tried The Pre-Sequel, but at 1440p I actually couldn't even get a consistent 75Hz (albeit with a 970 rather than a 980Ti)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah inwas thinking something like disco elysium but portal 2 is a good idea

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Huh, it looks like the 24" LG monitor I got delivered yesterday isn't g-sync compatible. It's not a big deal since it's intended as a work-from-home external monitor and will spend most of its time hooked up to laptops without dGPUs anyway, but it's still a little surprising. I just took a look and it looks like on the official list that LG doesn't actually make a g-sync compatible 24", which just seems weird.

Monitor seems fine otherwise, although the settings seem more fiddly than I am used to. It's still a huge upgrade from the 22" Dell TN screen that had been serving the same purpose.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Huh, it looks like the 24" LG monitor I got delivered yesterday isn't g-sync compatible. It's not a big deal since it's intended as a work-from-home external monitor and will spend most of its time hooked up to laptops without dGPUs anyway, but it's still a little surprising. I just took a look and it looks like on the official list that LG doesn't actually make a g-sync compatible 24", which just seems weird.

Monitor seems fine otherwise, although the settings seem more fiddly than I am used to. It's still a huge upgrade from the 22" Dell TN screen that had been serving the same purpose.
you can force it to use g-free sync; just click the box "enable gsync compatible anyways". the monitors on Nvidia's Big Tiny Approved List of G-Sync (TM) Compatible (TM) are basically ones "vetted" by nvidia (aka paid them money to certify) and they don't even test 95%+ of monitors on the market. If your monitor even says "FreeSync" on the box, then that means it supports G-Sync Compatible and will 99.8% work without a problem. LG probably just didn't pony up the nvidia certify cash

Note: you may need to turn FreeSync* on your monitor's OSD setting first. And you need to use a DisplayPort cable.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 29, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Xaris posted:

you can force it to use g-free sync; just click the box "enable gsync compatible anyways". the monitors on Nvidia's Big Tiny Approved List of G-Sync (TM) Compatible (TM) are basically ones "vetted" by nvidia (aka paid them money to certify) and they don't even test 95%+ of monitors on the market. If your monitor even says "FreeSync" on the box, then that means it supports G-Sync Compatible and will 99.8% work without a problem. LG probably just didn't pony up the nvidia certify cash

Note: you may need to turn FreeSync* on your monitor's OSD setting first. And you need to use a DisplayPort cable.

Ah, that explains it - the monitor doesn't have a DisplayPort connection, and the card I was testing with was a 1060. Apparently g-sync compatible only works over HDMI with a 16xx series card or newer.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Gsync/gsync compatible doesn't work on hdmi, period.

Normal rear end freesync can be done over hdmi with an AMD gpu.

Nvidia 10xx cards using DP can use freesync/gsync compatible.

The poo poo is stupid levels of unintuitive.

TheDK fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 29, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Actual G-sync is some nvidia proprietary bullshit over Displayport. Some of the newest G-sync monitors also support Freesync.

Freesync is an extension AMD came up with to do VRR over Displayport. It's become fairly standardized, but implementations can be anywhere from absolutely worthless trash to extremely good.

"Freesync over HDMI" is some even more proprietary bullshit AMD came up with. Nvidia will never support this, I wouldn't be surprised if even AMD drops support for it with their next generation of cards or something.

HDMI 2.1 VRR sometimes gets called Freesync or G-sync but is really more of a universal standard.

tldr : don't buy monitors because they say freesync. Don't buy monitors because they say they're g-sync compatible. Don't buy monitors because Nvidia says they're g-sync compatible. Buy monitors that are known to be good or at least likely to be good. If you don't know how to do this, just loving ask and someone will tell you what to buy.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

D-Pad posted:

TLDR: What's the best non-gaming 4k 27in monitor?

I recently got an LG27GN950-B and I love it, but my 2nd monitor is a 1080p 25in Asus MX259. It's annoying me that they are different sizes, heights, and resolution. My original plan was to get another 950-B in a few months, but I realized I am only going to be gaming on one monitor so the 144hz and other bells and whistles aren't really necessary and I can save some cash which means I can buy one now. So I am looking for the best 4k 27in monitor without gaming features. 60hz is fine, response time isn't super important, HDR doesn't really matter as I can watch any HDR content on my 950-B, and I don't need it to have speakers either. I'm still willing to pay for a quality picture so I am not strictly looking for the cheapest 27in 4k monitor, but I do want to save money over the 950-B since I don't need all that extra stuff for gaming on this one.

Bumping my question because I didn't get any answers. All the best monitor lists I can find are gaming focused. I want a 2nd 4k monitor but since I won't be playing games on it I figured I could get something cheaper because it lacks things like a high refresh rate while still having a quality image and build. Is this assumption wrong and I should just grab another GN950-B?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

27" 4k 60hz monitors are plentiful. If you find something with decent reviews on Amazon (just search 4k ips) that has the features you want and would look good next to your monitor, it's probably fine. Even just LG make a ton of 27" 4k 60hz monitors, you may be able to find one with black bezel that you particularly like, although most of their monitors carry something of a feature and price premium. There may be a point where you may have bought your way far enough up the feature set that you just say gently caress it and decide to buy another 27GN950, since 144hz is nice to have even on your secondary. IDK if it's $400+ nice though.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

K8.0 posted:

27" 4k 60hz monitors are plentiful. If you find something with decent reviews on Amazon (just search 4k ips) that has the features you want and would look good next to your monitor, it's probably fine. Even just LG make a ton of 27" 4k 60hz monitors, you may be able to find one with black bezel that you particularly like, although most of their monitors carry something of a feature and price premium. There may be a point where you may have bought your way far enough up the feature set that you just say gently caress it and decide to buy another 27GN950, since 144hz is nice to have even on your secondary. IDK if it's $400+ nice though.

Thanks. I see people raving about high refresh for basic windows stuff and how they'll never go back and to be honest I haven't noticed a difference really. I'll do some more research and narrow it down and come back to the thread for a final judgement. I really like the idea of having matching monitors, as I did before, but it's hard to justify the extra $400 as you said.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
As someone who used to dual screen between a 144 Hz and a 60 Hz... lmao come on yes you will get used to it.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I was mounting my ultrawide on a arm mount today and just nicked the screen on a piece of metal. I've got a 2 inch long light scratch. It just seems to be in the plastic coating and not very deep. Anyone ever had any luck putting something on a scratch like that to cover it up? I can't see it on a dark background, only when the screens white.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don’t think prices will be hugely different in a year tbh. Monitors don’t generally come down quickly enough to make it worth waiting in general, and right now the whole industry is straining just to keep product on the shelf and it probably won’t calm down much until covid is over and people are going back to the office.

Maybe we will see a 10% decline absolute tops, if everything goes well, and that number could also be zero. Costco has been running some deals on the 4K144 monitors, if you could get something for $650 or so I’d say that’s a good deal, best case scenario maybe they will hit $600 or $570.

We live in the times of “just buy it”, if you need it and it’s available and the price isn’t completely lovely then just go for it.

This is good info, thanks for this. I may just have to take the hit and order the 27GN950-B whenever I see it around MSRP.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I move between a 60hz and 240hz regularly throughout the day and I will say that I rarely notice going to the 60hz screen, but I always notice going back to the 240hz screen, if that makes sense, for desktop stuff (non-gaming).

More like a "oh wow nice this again" each time I go back to fast, rather than a "oh poo poo not this again" each time I go back to slow.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
For me 1 monitor is for gaming and 1 will be normal desktop i might keep the Dell 2412m the main monitor im replacing is an Asus VH226 with either this one https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX2458-MHD-Monitor-FreeSync-Flicker-Free/dp/B07JK6XMSN/ or the 27 Xaris mentioned. though that flickering does bother me.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

General question for the thread: going from generic 1080p60 to 1440p144 with gsync/freesync, what was the best part of the upgrade for you?

Higher resolution?
Higher refresh rate in general?
Variable refresh rate?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Given I haven't had a monitor for over a decade, I'm sure I'd have been blown away by anything halfway decent. However I'd say the main thing I notice and enjoy is the high refresh rate which feels incredible coming from a decade of gaming on consoles. Even without gaming I'm still delighted by the fluidity of moving my mouse cursor across the screen or scrolling the forums.

I'm sure VRR is doing great things behind the scenes to help with the smoothness of my gaming experience too, but it's less immediately apparent.

Playing Doom Eternal on this where it's locked at 144fps on the highest settings is just an absolute dream.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 29, 2020

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

As someone who used to dual screen between a 144 Hz and a 60 Hz... lmao come on yes you will get used to it.

I mean I am dual screening between a 144 and 60 right now and barely notice the difference unless it is in a game.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I notice 60 fps immediately as I moved the mouse to the other screen. But there's no 144 wacom/wacomlike so I've gotta live like a caveman here

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

sean10mm posted:

General question for the thread: going from generic 1080p60 to 1440p144 with gsync/freesync, what was the best part of the upgrade for you?

Higher resolution?
Higher refresh rate in general?
Variable refresh rate?

Higher max refresh rate, no doubt.

The experience you get from resolution is going to be tied closely to screen size, so you may or may not notice a difference in resolution alone. If you increase from FHD 24" (90-ish) to QHD 27" (100-ish), your PPI is higher, but much closer than 15" UHD (on a laptop, for example - 250+).

If you want to plainly see the difference in refresh rate on 'normal' desktop use and have two monitors, scroll a window that is split across two monitors.

Here is an example I just recorded with my phone in slow-mo. On the left is 75Hz, on the right is 165Hz:

https://i.imgur.com/QebwrWg.mp4

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

TheDK posted:

Higher max refresh rate, no doubt.

The experience you get from resolution is going to be tied closely to screen size, so you may or may not notice a difference in resolution alone. If you increase from FHD 24" (90-ish) to QHD 27" (100-ish), your PPI is higher, but much closer than 15" UHD (on a laptop, for example - 250+).

If you want to plainly see the difference in refresh rate on 'normal' desktop use and have two monitors, scroll a window that is split across two monitors.

Here is an example I just recorded with my phone in slow-mo. On the left is 75Hz, on the right is 165Hz:

https://i.imgur.com/QebwrWg.mp4

Keep in mind that this phone camera is only recording at 30fps from the look of it. You’re still seeing a big difference, but nowhere near as big as your eye would in person.

In person, the difference between 75hz and 165hz (hell, even 120hz to 165hz) is *so* much bigger than what’s shown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's neat, but I don't see the need for high refresh rates outside gaming. I don't think I'd miss it that much for browsing (though I'd totally notice it's lack).