Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Pillar of Autumn is the very first ship we see in the series, it was always dumb names.

Next you are going to tell me the Culture names are bad. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And then you have the UNSC Say My Name which i love for how cheesy it is.

I'm wondering if there should be a general thread for franchise tie-in fiction. Beyond Star Wars or 40K theres a lot of tie in novels and comics that probably couldn't support a thread on their own but might be decent as part of a general discussion zone

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jazerus posted:

the problem with the names you made up, and similarly the actual names that the later halo writers created, is that they follow the form of "truth and reconciliation" without understanding it. the other covenant ships shouldn't be "virtue x and virtue y" because that was not actually the process used to create the name "truth and reconciliation". i guess when they decided the covenant were religious fanatics they kind of made it hard to extend the implicit theme of post-revolution justice since the revolution didn't actually happen until the end of halo 3
Joke’s on you, all the names I made up are UNSC names. Or are they??

Carteret posted:

Next you are going to tell me the Culture names are bad. :colbert:

I don’t know what the Culture is :saddowns:

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Xenomrph posted:

Joke’s on you, all the names I made up are UNSC names. Or are they??

I don’t know what the Culture is :saddowns:

Culture novels and short stories by Iain M. Banks. Good stuff check em out.

"The machine intelligences called Minds (and, as a consequence, the Culture starships that they inhabit) usually bear names that do a little more than just identify them. The Minds choose their own names, and thus they usually express something about a particular Mind's attitude, character or aims in their personal life. Warship names are similar in retaining the whimsical nature, though the humour tends to be more cynical and threatening."

Samples

Irregular Apocalypse
No More Mr Nice Guy
Nervous Energy
Trade Surplus
Little Rascal
So Much For Subtlety
Unfortunate Conflict Of Evidence
Of Course I Still Love You
Gunboat Diplomat
Anticipation Of A New Lover's Arrival, The
I Blame Your Mother

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Xenomrph posted:

Pillar of Autumn is the very first ship we see in the series, it was always dumb names.

Actually after much quiet reflection you'll find that it's stupid and dumb. :colbert:

We'll have to agree to disagree, they both sound like gibberish abstract words strung together into a little phrase. Like I was trying to come up with similar gibberish ship names and my brain just wouldn't let me, as if there was a mental block that said "This is gibberish, stop it". But I think I can power through it and come up with some Halo ship name contenders.

"Emancipation Of Silence"

"Beginning Through Fate"

"Eagerness With Strife"

"Benevolence And Hardship"

I could probably do this all day.

Edit--

"Questions Upon Mirth"

See I can tell you're wrong because the ones you're coming up with are terrible. There's an art to it.

Read Iain Banks!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
One of my favorite Culture ship names is I SAID I'VE GOT A BIG STICK. The formatting is important.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ScottyJSno posted:

Culture novels and short stories by Iain M. Banks. Good stuff check em out.

"The machine intelligences called Minds (and, as a consequence, the Culture starships that they inhabit) usually bear names that do a little more than just identify them. The Minds choose their own names, and thus they usually express something about a particular Mind's attitude, character or aims in their personal life. Warship names are similar in retaining the whimsical nature, though the humour tends to be more cynical and threatening."

Samples

Irregular Apocalypse
No More Mr Nice Guy
Nervous Energy
Trade Surplus
Little Rascal
So Much For Subtlety
Unfortunate Conflict Of Evidence
Of Course I Still Love You
Gunboat Diplomat
Anticipation Of A New Lover's Arrival, The
I Blame Your Mother

Oh, so like racehorse names.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

chitoryu12 posted:

I read Black Spire recently and noticed that there was a really weird disconnect in the content where you could tell that the author was trying to put her own desires into the book. It's the big tie-in for Galaxy's Edge at Disney so it exists mostly to establish the storyline present in the park, like how the Resistance base got set up on Batuu and how Vi Moradi got Kylo Ren flying in personally, so a lot of the book is a huge marketing thing where she has to visit every store and talk about how all the named food items and cocktails are so amazing and you should totally try them (I do agree, Ronto Wraps are awesome).

And then every so often it suddenly swerves into really dark or adult territory. Oga is introduced murdering a Wookiee who was sleeping with one of her Rodian girls (not exactly a pairing most of us think about). Most of the characters suffer from PTSD and one is a former First Order officer who's still dealing with his indoctrination's effects on his mind and freaking out when he doesn't have anything to do because he was trained to consider himself worthless if not constantly giving a purpose for his existence. There's a smuggler who seems like a classic swaggering rogue but is actually a terminal alcoholic who wishes for the sweet non-existence of death to get out of his misery and summarily executes captured First Order troopers even when they would be valuable to keep because he wants revenge for his partner getting killed. They recruit a bunch of local farmers to help them beat the First Order and the ones who don't get killed run away because you can't just give a bunch of dudes on Mad Max contraptions old pawn shop blasters and defeat a unit of stormtroopers.

It's also one of the few works to actually have stormtrooper armor be useful. Unless you've got a heavy blaster pistol like a DL-44 or a rifle, the armor actually works. All the people with little civilian handguns need to shoot for the gaps in the plates.

I live in Orlando, had Disney annual passes for the family before the pandemic hit, and loved going to Galaxy's Edge (and was there for opening day), but for some reason, I refuse to read Black Spire. It just seems like the most brazen attempt at, "THIS IS MARKETING" yet. I know that's not fair when I went all in on the Disney/Star Wars park experience. But I think it crossing over into the books like that really offended me, for some reason. Like I hated those quick moments in the Thrawn book when they went there, but at least there they were quick. A whole book about it rubs me the wrong way.

Again, I know this isn't all that consistent of me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

thrawn527 posted:

I live in Orlando, had Disney annual passes for the family before the pandemic hit, and loved going to Galaxy's Edge (and was there for opening day), but for some reason, I refuse to read Black Spire. It just seems like the most brazen attempt at, "THIS IS MARKETING" yet. I know that's not fair when I went all in on the Disney/Star Wars park experience. But I think it crossing over into the books like that really offended me, for some reason. Like I hated those quick moments in the Thrawn book when they went there, but at least there they were quick. A whole book about it rubs me the wrong way.

Again, I know this isn't all that consistent of me.

I think it's good as a concept. If you want to make the experience truly immersive, you want it to actually have details that matter to fans. Unfortunately, the way they went about this was apparently demanding that the book function mostly as product placement. It's about as subtle as a movie where every Sony product has to have the brand name clearly visible for a few seconds whenever the item is shown.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jazerus posted:

halo lore is uniquely impenetrable because the names are all loving terrible and don't convey any narrative weight. everything has a really portentious sounding name even if it's totally inconsequential

Bungie then doubled down on this for Destiny.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm wondering if there should be a general thread for franchise tie-in fiction. Beyond Star Wars or 40K theres a lot of tie in novels and comics that probably couldn't support a thread on their own but might be decent as part of a general discussion zone

I would definitely be down for a thread like this.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Someone can do a Let's Read of the Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri novels, and we can debate the theological implications of the Doom books.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Super Bunnyhop's description of the Doom novels makes me want to read them and experience the demon slaying adventures of Mormon DoomGuy and DoomGirl.

I'm no good at making threads, just talking within them about stuff. I wouldn't know where to start making a tie in fiction thread.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

Someone can do a Let's Read of the Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri novels, and we can debate the theological implications of the Doom books.

I actually read the first SMAC novel and remember thinking it wasn't as good as the Journey to Centauri novella. I also remember really enjoying the novelization of the Sierra strategy game Outpost 2: Divided Destiny, a game which I loved but which I have to imagine no one else remembers.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

I also remember really enjoying the novelization of the Sierra strategy game Outpost 2: Divided Destiny, a game which I loved but which I have to imagine no one else remembers.

i must have read that novella a million times as a kid. i've always wanted a spiritual sequel to outpost 2 since it was pretty unique among RTS for its focus on building a functional colony first and fighting second if at all

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jazerus posted:

i must have read that novella a million times as a kid. i've always wanted a spiritual sequel to outpost 2 since it was pretty unique among RTS for its focus on building a functional colony first and fighting second if at all

Did you ever play the original Outpost? It's buggy as hell but it's entirely about building a functioning colony. Though also really difficult and there's no ability to win or even end the game outside of eventually dying, as the game was rushed so the promised endgame conditions weren't implemented.

I do remember being really upset that Outpost 3 was promised but never ended up being made. Same with Space Quest VII.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Chairman Capone posted:

Did you ever play the original Outpost? It's buggy as hell but it's entirely about building a functioning colony. Though also really difficult and there's no ability to win or even end the game outside of eventually dying, as the game was rushed so the promised endgame conditions weren't implemented.

I do remember being really upset that Outpost 3 was promised but never ended up being made. Same with Space Quest VII.

I played the poo poo out of the original Outpost, it had two endgame conditions and I remember them both being present in the version I played. You could exhaust the tech tree in one of two ways - either researching terraforming and making an atmosphere for your planet, or researching rocketry and launching a new colony ship.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Maybe that was a later version than what I played. I think I had the game before I had internet so if there was ever a way to update it I definitely never got it. Or also maybe I just never got as far in the game as I thought.

On a completely separate note given the response to Wonder Woman 84 I'm guessing it's just a matter of time before Lucasfilm announces that Patty Jenkins develops "schedule conflicts" and leaves Rogue Squadron.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Holy poo poo I haven't thought about Outpost in decades. I can still hear the opening theme lol

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

On the topic of Star Wars books, I just read Alan Dean Foster's fan outline for Episode IX that he wrote after watching and hating The Last Jedi, and... yikes:

(You have to go down manually to the 1 May 2018 entry):
https://www.alandeanfoster.com/version2.0/updatesframe.htm

To be fair, there are a few things in it I like. Even Foster recognized that the logical thing to do was end it with a citizens' uprising on Coruscant. Also had some clear Dark Empire vibes, funnily enough. Having Snoke initially reveal himself as a clone to punk on Kylo thinking he was the poo poo for slicing him in half was also good, the Agent Smith-like Snoke clone army not so much. But the Rey storyline is so bad it's almost parody.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Chairman Capone posted:

On the topic of Star Wars books, I just read Alan Dean Foster's fan outline for Episode IX that he wrote after watching and hating The Last Jedi, and... yikes:

(You have to go down manually to the 1 May 2018 entry):
https://www.alandeanfoster.com/version2.0/updatesframe.htm

To be fair, there are a few things in it I like. Even Foster recognized that the logical thing to do was end it with a citizens' uprising on Coruscant. Also had some clear Dark Empire vibes, funnily enough. Having Snoke initially reveal himself as a clone to punk on Kylo thinking he was the poo poo for slicing him in half was also good, the Agent Smith-like Snoke clone army not so much. But the Rey storyline is so bad it's almost parody.

Jenny Nicholson did a really good review of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aanyjLmB1Bs

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I sure am glad we didn't get an Episode IX that featured Snoke clones and clumsy retcons of TLJ! :sweatdrop:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Snoke clone is fun to say, though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The problem is we know it would be pronounced Snooke.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

My single favorite line from that thing is "But the real battle is between him and Snoke. Or rather, Snokes." There's something about pluralizing Snoke that's just hilarious.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

Episode IX: The Jersey Shore

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Chairman Capone posted:

My recommendation is "Snookums"

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Jazerus posted:

halo lore is uniquely impenetrable because the names are all loving terrible and don't convey any narrative weight. everything has a really portentious sounding name even if it's totally inconsequential

You're posting this in the star wars thread!!!!!!!

I can come up with star wars names right now. Bugg Flubb. Marko Strank. Fudd Rucker.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

And then you have the UNSC Say My Name which i love for how cheesy it is.

Instead let's just make this thread the combination star wars books thread and halo books thread, imho.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

George Kansas posted:

Instead let's just make this thread the combination star wars books thread and halo books thread, imho.

But then how could we talk about the Doom novels or the Borderlands and Star Trek books.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

George Kansas posted:

You're posting this in the star wars thread!!!!!!!

I can come up with star wars names right now. Bugg Flubb. Marko Strank. Fudd Rucker.

star wars names are just stupid, not impenetrable. you're telling me you wouldn't remember every detail of the adventures of fudd rucker, bounty hunter

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

But then how could we talk about the Doom novels or the Borderlands and Star Trek books.

I'm trying to find a coherent rule I could selfishly propose here that would allow me to read up on hot takes and gossip for the series I do like (star wars, halo, mass effect) and not the ones I dislike (warhammer and warcraft, mostly)

I guess for me this is just sci-fi vs. fantasy. I like bad licensed sci-fi a lot more than I like bad licensed fantasy.

Jazerus posted:

star wars names are just stupid, not impenetrable. you're telling me you wouldn't remember every detail of the adventures of fudd rucker, bounty hunter

Ok, you're right, but also, the forerunners are loving cool

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

George Kansas posted:

I guess for me this is just sci-fi vs. fantasy. I like bad licensed sci-fi a lot more than I like bad licensed fantasy.

You don't want to read about the nineteenth time Drizzt survived impossible odds because he was a sexy drow?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Jazerus posted:

Only if Fudd’s brother Frostee is also involved in the adventures.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ViKvHkNyqE

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mods please change my name to Jimmy Scrambles thank you.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

George Kansas posted:

Uh, let's not. I mean, talk about what you want, but I'm not putting Halo in the OP, that's for sure.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 28, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll start working on a thread OP when I get home. Not much I can do from a phone.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Just so we’re clear, I made a typo earlier. I’m not putting Halo in the OP here. I’ve never read any Halo books, and I don’t really see a reason to link Halo and Star Wars books. But talk about them in here all you want, whatever floats your boat.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Speaking of Star Wars book, when do the High Republic books come out? I’ll need something to tide me over since Mando finished.

Also, cheers to everyone for the Farlander responses. I opened up Star Wars Squadrons for Christmas and one of the name randomized options was Kenyan Farlander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

VaultAggie posted:

Speaking of Star Wars book, when do the High Republic books come out? I’ll need something to tide me over since Mando finished.

Also, cheers to everyone for the Farlander responses. I opened up Star Wars Squadrons for Christmas and one of the name randomized options was Kenyan Farlander.

Next week, actually.