Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Davros1 posted:

I've been in a Walgreen's. Gifts from there are a relationship ender.

Not if you’re there to get drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

PizzaProwler posted:

Flo is and never was the problem. It's the Progressive Insurance Extended Universe that has grown around her that's the problem. Flo did nothing wrong.

Arguably all that is because they don’t want to depend too much on one actor (who may wish to do other things at some point.)

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
That match.com ad with satan and 2020 is a hell of a thing

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Unkempt posted:

drat dude I saw this the other day and I legit could not believe they were using that as an advertisement for their website.

You, too, can fall in love with Satan and end the world? Come to match.com?

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
The Lays ad with the bug eyed lady from Blackish is the woooooorst. She does all the cutesy voice overs for the products she's drooling over and it's insufferable. The country twang for bbq is just... someone told this woman (who I know is famous and has a famous mother and I can't think of it right now) that she is precious a few too many times and she believed it.

The Praise You ad is for Walmart and I think it's for their personal shopper service but I might be wrong. I don't always look up from the computer.

There's a bizarre ad for perfume that features Lady Gaga whining something. Also that daisy daisy daisy daisy daisy perfume ad is pretty bad.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

That70sHeidi posted:

The Lays ad with the bug eyed lady from Blackish is the woooooorst. She does all the cutesy voice overs for the products she's drooling over and it's insufferable. The country twang for bbq is just... someone told this woman (who I know is famous and has a famous mother and I can't think of it right now) that she is precious a few too many times and she believed it.
She is Diana Ross' daughter, which isn't enough of an excuse for her being so obnoxiously unfunny in that ad

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Continually being reminded of the Charmin bears' lovely asses

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I tell you what, I still have to use a lot of Charmin to prevent my rear end from being lovely

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Laterite posted:

Continually being reminded of the Charmin bears' lovely asses

How do they wear underwear? Under their fur?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Unkempt posted:

I saw that a few minutes ago and thought I'd imagined it.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
"Hey Hamlin - I like your PJs! :haw:"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sandwolf posted:

drat dude I saw this the other day and I legit could not believe they were using that as an advertisement for their website.

You, too, can fall in love with Satan and end the world? Come to match.com?

If that were true id do it in a heartbeat

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I can't stand that botox commercial with the sound track where some woman is constantly screaming "woo!" as these women go to the beach or go to a photobooth or whatever because they look so good and young with their botox.

Unkempt posted:

This is a great commercial, actually :colbert:

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

My god I hate the 6 second Target redcard ads that happen on youtube. "WHAAAATT AAA FEELLING WHAT ABdlewadwdlkwdj"

Lovely Carnitas
Dec 26, 2012
Just saw an ad on youtube so bad that I'm finally going to look into getting an adblocker for my ipad. Most of the ads are more annoying than anything and skippable, so I've tolerated the ads on my ipad until now (I have ublock on my phone and laptop).

So if you see an ad with a guy dressed up in a really bad orange dog costume squatting on a lawn...I think the worst part happens before it even lets you skip.

I was considering youtube premium, but after seeing this one I don't even want to give money to youtube anymore to avoid this.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I think this comes up in every commercial break on Comedy Central:

https://youtu.be/qmy-5hLu9v0

I don't think these people are human.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Lovely Carnitas posted:

Just saw an ad on youtube so bad that I'm finally going to look into getting an adblocker for my ipad. Most of the ads are more annoying than anything and skippable, so I've tolerated the ads on my ipad until now (I have ublock on my phone and laptop).

So if you see an ad with a guy dressed up in a really bad orange dog costume squatting on a lawn...I think the worst part happens before it even lets you skip.

I was considering youtube premium, but after seeing this one I don't even want to give money to youtube anymore to avoid this.

The best part of youtube premium is that the "ad free experience" applies to every platform including my son's amazon kindle and our smart tv/roku sticks

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
This Colonial Penn where the wife mentions a guy, and her husband says "The 76-year old guy who still runs marathons?", and she says "not anymore" -- I have some concerns:

1) No one talks like that. I don't talk about people I know by specific age.
2) "Not anymore!" :owned: I thought this part was both funny and morbid, and it made me expect this commercial to be about his bum knee or something.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

YeahTubaMike posted:

1) No one talks like that. I don't talk about people I know by specific age..

Old people do, so they can do the math to compare themselves to that person.

I'm in a social group that has a bunch of 70+ guys. I know how old all of them are because they are saying their exact ages all the time.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Sash! posted:

Old people do, so they can do the math to compare themselves to that person.

I'm in a social group that has a bunch of 70+ guys. I know how old all of them are because they are saying their exact ages all the time.

I was going to make a remark about old guys and killing fiddy men based on your avatar, but then had a realization. In my head 70+ was always “World War II grandpa” age. My dad is in his late 60s and was in the Vietnam draft, so someone in their 70s now couldn’t have been in WWII.

Where did the last 20 years go?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

I was going to make a remark about old guys and killing fiddy men based on your avatar, but then had a realization. In my head 70+ was always “World War II grandpa” age. My dad is in his late 60s and was in the Vietnam draft, so someone in their 70s now couldn’t have been in WWII.

Where did the last 20 years go?

Desert Storm is grandpa age now.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Sash! posted:

poo poo, there are absolutely War on Terror grampas out there by now

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Eat This Glob posted:

The window is still pretty narrow for there to be a lot of them, but the math works.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Eat This Glob posted:

There was a tweet or other social media post that went mildly viral a few months ago of a picture if a young soldier in Iraq or Afghanistan and serving with his father who signed up when the war started, or right before.

So considering like 80% of those serving in the middle east have a dependa back home carrying their baby*...yeah, I'm going to say there's absolutely war on terror grandpa's.

*In all likelihood, the baby's actual father is the soldier's best friend from high school who was smart enough not to sign up.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 8, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Sash! posted:

I have a grand-niece and grand-nephew and a 22 year old son. Desert Storm was going during my senior year of high school. I ain’t even 50 yet!

edit: Cal Ripken, Sr. & Cal Ripken, Jr. were on the field together.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 8, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Heeeer's Caaaalll Worthington and his dog Spot!

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

I got rid of cable and only see the occasional ad via YouTube on Roku devices. Can't think of any recently that made me want to throw something at the TV so... good? The Mercedes Benz deer nose thing was pretty bad but luxury car commercials have always been crimes against all senses and that one wasn't really notable above others.

But on the podcast side of things does Maximum Fun just let any moron with a microphone get a podcast? Some of those ads are so twee-as-cringe I want to drive my car off the road and die.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I think I've only got one Max Fun pod in my rotation still (oh no ross and carrie) but I was thinking to myself how much I hate the ads for the other in network shows recently and how they were all very similar.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I yearn for Maximum Fun ads when I hear Acast Network ads.

Their targeted podcast ads were pretty creepy so I opted out of tracking from them but the ads you get and the podcasts they recommend when they are not tracking you are annoying instead. Candy Crush, Drizzly and all the various mom casts are too much. Three shows I listen to have joined the network as I imagine their ad rates are good.

Rick fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 9, 2021

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The only Maximum Fun podcast I'd occasionally listen to is Mbmbam and the ads for other Max Fun things made me really think that the McElroy empire is all that's good on that network.

If I can think of a Max Fun podcast ad it's usually something like this:

Dude: Hey, I'm THIS GUY!
Lady: And I'm THIS LADY!
Dude: And we like comparing literary history to donuts!
Lady: So we're gonna read some history and eat some dough
Dude: Isn't it nuts!
*twee music cue*
Dude: Listen to Do-history-nuts now!

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 9, 2021

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I love Justin and Griffin when they show up on other shows I like and I was really into MBmBaM in the early days right up until they went to MaxFun and then fell off hard for some reason. I can't even explain it. Travis is fine too as part of the trio but any of his individual shows or when he's on stuff without his brothers I get very little out of it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fartington Butts posted:

The only Maximum Fun podcast I'd occasionally listen to is Mbmbam and the ads for other Max Fun things made me really think that the McElroy empire is all that's good on that network.

If I can think of a Max Fun podcast ad it's usually something like this:

Dude: Hey, I'm THIS GUY!
Lady: And I'm THIS LADY!
Dude: And we like comparing literary history to donuts!
Lady: So we're gonna read some history and eat some dough
Dude: Isn't it nuts!
*twee music cue*
Dude: Listen to Do-history-nuts now!

I recently heard an ad for The Flop House, which is a podcast I like and it wasn't great because it was just the three hosts listing fake movies.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Just saw a commercial for Coke Zero Sugar that was intended to be ASMR but it actually did the opposite for me

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
If you like watching TV shows while you hate on the ads, stop by the Annual TVIV Poll thread to cast your votes for your favourite shows of the year.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952217

:siren:Deadline for submissions is 12:01AM PST on Jan 18th:siren:

Parachute
May 18, 2003
wtf someone sold that 17 year old high school employee a jersey mike's franchise and now they own the whole thing and that could be me one day?!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

muscles like this! posted:

I recently heard an ad for The Flop House, which is a podcast I like and it wasn't great because it was just the three hosts listing fake movies.

I used to listen to The Flop House, but it just became too grating on me at one point, and pales in comparison to We Hate Movies.

Over the years I've tried out various MaxFun pods, but I usually drop them after a while, because they're just not fun for me. A lot of them feel like they get to the point where they reach a level of popularity and just disappear up their own asses. It's not just a MaxFun thing, but it feels like the concentration is much higher there than anywhere else.

I really don't understand the appeal of the McElroys either, because no matter how hard I try, I find them annoying.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Iron Crowned posted:

I used to listen to The Flop House, but it just became too grating on me at one point, and pales in comparison to We Hate Movies.

:hfive: I'm surprised I don't see much discussion about WHM in the Podcast subforum.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

explosivo posted:

:hfive: I'm surprised I don't see much discussion about WHM in the Podcast subforum.

I post in the WHM thread in CD :shrug:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Iron Crowned posted:

I post in the WHM thread in CD :shrug:

Son of a bitch I never thought to check CD :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Sash! posted:

The window is still pretty narrow for there to be a lot of them, but the math works.

DrBouvenstein posted:

There was a tweet or other social media post that went mildly viral a few months ago of a picture if a young soldier in Iraq or Afghanistan and serving with his father who signed up when the war started, or right before.

So considering like 80% of those serving in the middle east have a dependa back home carrying their baby*...yeah, I'm going to say there's absolutely war on terror grandpa's.

*In all likelihood, the baby's actual father is the soldier's best friend from high school who was smart enough not to sign up.

i signed up for the army in January 2001. In March 2001, my high school girlfriend had a pregnancy scare. Had she wound up pregnant, I definitely would have married her (fairly strict christian) self as it would have been the "right thing" for a young buck army man to do. if said imaginary child did the same thing i did, i would have been a grandfather before the age of 40 lol.

poo poo, that would have made my teen mom mother a grandmother at the same age i am now lol. thankfully, she got a reprieve...until 2006 when my brother knocked up his high school girlfriend