Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Blue Labrador posted:

I think Jack-O's pretty cool too, but I at least understand why that's controversial. I don't understand this take at all.

How did playing Jack-O even work with netplay? I can't imagine her being any sort of fun to play with or against when miserable netcode is involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Victory Position posted:

How did playing Jack-O even work with netplay? I can't imagine her being any sort of fun to play with or against when miserable netcode is involved.

Not great, but I'm also terrible at Xrd in general

She's still cool though, hoping to see her or uh.. the other version of her or whatever in a sequel, with or without the minions

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Victory Position posted:

She's not terribly fun to play against offline either

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I love that even in tough love arena you can have the experience of beating someone, they switch to your character to mirror match you to try and prove something and then ragequit once they're losing

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

In Training posted:

our only hope is dlc, I haven't fully given up the dream. landing red kick loops is some of the most satisfying combos I've ever actually done in matches, bc it's both annoying to time well and learn at first and it because it just looks badass when your opponent is getting wallbounced from half screen by this old man's huge powerful feet.

online chipp nearly takes the round using precise set play and a series of teleport side switch and high low mixups before i vaporize his dumb rear end off the wall with a single counter hit shinken loop and burst clap

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

40 lbs to freedom posted:

online chipp nearly takes the round using precise set play and a series of teleport side switch and high low mixups before i vaporize his dumb rear end off the wall with a single counter hit shinken loop and burst clap

same but i blitz his dumb cross up and do two and a half pilebunkers

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I was gonna comment on how it's sorta funny that now multiple simplified fighters(rising thunder, tough love arena) have taken roman cancels and burst right out of guilty gear/blazblue, despite those being very complex fighters, but burst is a very newbie friendly mechanic and regardless of the game your brain feels incredibly wrinkly when you predict and punish a burst

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

same but i blitz his dumb cross up and do two and a half pilebunkers

I like throwing out 6Ps and 5Hs at full screen distance in that matchup. They won't land, but they send a message.

IronicDongz posted:

I was gonna comment on how it's sorta funny that now multiple simplified fighters(rising thunder, tough love arena) have taken roman cancels and burst right out of guilty gear/blazblue, despite those being very complex fighters, but burst is a very newbie friendly mechanic and regardless of the game your brain feels incredibly wrinkly when you predict and punish a burst

Another big thing about burst is that they let you do it across a broad variety of situations. I know when I was a newbie, being able to burst out of annoying situations or non-optimal combos that just made me feel bad made me way more comfortable trying out the game further than things like Street Fighter ever did. They're a great mechanic to crib (though I wish more things cribbed gold burst with it).

E: I just watched a clip where a Slayer bait and punished a burst by interrupting their own combo with a BDC P Dandy Step > Under Pressure follow up > a juggle and it was some incredibly slick poo poo. It really is some wrinkly brain play for everyone involved.

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 4, 2021

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Hace posted:

its fun trying new things, even if theyre not great

why wont anyone play xmen vs street fighter then

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Latest cursed goon idea: Cats fighting game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Every cat has a distinct gimmick, the plot can easily be adapted to a tournament-style arc, you already have the OST figured out, there are even alternate costume and voice options you can sell as DLC. That's not cursed, it's brilliant!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Heaven or Hell
Duel 1
LET'S JELLICLE

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Started up KoF XIII and did the tutorial and uh, not happening because I cannot for the life of me figure out the timing for the final tutorial link. Not KoF XIII's fault since its older but good lord timing help for linking moves is so helpful because I've not a clue if Im early, late, or just botching the input.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Barudak posted:

Started up KoF XIII and did the tutorial and uh, not happening because I cannot for the life of me figure out the timing for the final tutorial link. Not KoF XIII's fault since its older but good lord timing help for linking moves is so helpful because I've not a clue if Im early, late, or just botching the input.

Move comes out but doesn't combo = late. Nothing happens = early. Doesn't help with normals but special moves get a buffer if you hold down the button.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Barudak posted:

I just did the tutorial to check and there is not a single link in the entire thing.

What were you having trouble with? If it's the cancelling super into neomax you have to be in HD mode to do it (hit B and C at the same time, you'll start giving off this afterimage thing). Other than that you can cancel immediately, so just do qcb,hcf+P and cancel to qcf,qcf+AC as soon as the first super makes contact. Hold AC at the end of the neomax motion to make sure it comes out; KoF has a feature where you can hold the button at the end of motions for specials or supers to have the move buffer for quite a bit of time.

Ask any other questions you have here! It's my favourite game and the one I learned how to play fighting games with.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is buffering???

Ok yeah Ill try this again later

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Zand posted:

why wont anyone play xmen vs street fighter then

sometimes people hate fun

even mvc1 doesn't draw a big crowd on fightcade and that game is indisputably great, so

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
tbh after continuing to play it, I think tough love arena is the most fun of the simplified fgs out there. which is a surprise to me because I liked rising thunder a lot

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
GARFIELD vs FRIENDS

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

anime was right posted:

GARFIELD vs FRIENDS

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

IronicDongz posted:

tbh after continuing to play it, I think tough love arena is the most fun of the simplified fgs out there. which is a surprise to me because I liked rising thunder a lot

It's honestly really good. I still hop on every now and then to play Beef and press H a lot.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
speaking of the meat H

now that's a hitbox

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

anime was right posted:

GARFIELD vs FRIENDS

Kung Fu Creatures on the Rampage Xrd

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
So I've been playing SFV for a few months now and i wouldn't say I've gotten good, but I've gotten better. After only a brief fling with fighting games as preteen, this has been my first foray into modern fighting games and online competition. I've only used Ryu because i remembered his inputs and i do like using him, but i feel like everyone else knows exactly what to do against him. Aside from that, I've gotten to the point where nearly all my online matches (just broke into Silver) are way better than me and going back to losing a lot is very disheartening. I know it's all training but it sucks to lose.

Anyway, I was wondering if i would be better off switching to another game like KOF or Guilty Gear to sharpen my skills. A lot of people say SFV is easy, which i don't understand because it's hard as poo poo for me. I can hardly finish most characters trials - pretty much anything with buffered charges is impossible. I also can't hit confirm to save my life.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Borrowed Ladder posted:

So I've been playing SFV for a few months now and i wouldn't say I've gotten good, but I've gotten better. After only a brief fling with fighting games as preteen, this has been my first foray into modern fighting games and online competition. I've only used Ryu because i remembered his inputs and i do like using him, but i feel like everyone else knows exactly what to do against him. Aside from that, I've gotten to the point where nearly all my online matches (just broke into Silver) are way better than me and going back to losing a lot is very disheartening. I know it's all training but it sucks to lose.

Anyway, I was wondering if i would be better off switching to another game like KOF or Guilty Gear to sharpen my skills. A lot of people say SFV is easy, which i don't understand because it's hard as poo poo for me. I can hardly finish most characters trials - pretty much anything with buffered charges is impossible. I also can't hit confirm to save my life.

SFV is 'easy' not because it's particularly easy on execution (Although it's hardly the hardest fighter out there, especially compared to earlier SF games) but because it's pretty easy on reaction- everything causes tons of hit stun, crush counters give you all day to decide and confirm a punish, V-triggers give you the ability to confirm basically anything, activating on reaction to hitsound. Optimal punishes can be tricky, but 'good enough' punishes can be pretty simple since most characters can do stuff like Target Combo into Activate to Simple V-trigger Punish Combo and that's can still be like 40%+ for the low low price of having a decent button that starts a target combo (most characters have a decent button that starts a target combo.) Catching your opponent with something random and turning it into real damage is easier in SFV then almost any other fighter I can think of that doesn't have an assist button.

That said, it means that low levels tend to be even rougher then usual in SFV, because even bronze nubbins can fairly effectively blow you up on fuckup, so getting better at SFV and climbing out of low ranks involve grinding out your defensive play because anyone can murder you for screwing up. Ryu's actually kinda weak here, and he definitely suffers in lower-level play- he requires links at even a basic level because neither of his target combos work on crouching opponents nor confirm into anything without burning a resource, so you're better off doing stuff like S.MP -> S.MP to start a punish then trying for either target combo. If you're feeling like you're plateauing with Ryu, maybe mess around with more of the cast and see if there's someone else you like more.

e: Hit confirm is just something that's going to take practice. The trick with most characters is to either have a pretty safe link or TC that can confirm to real damage (for Ryu that's S.MP -> S. MP and cr. LK -> cr. LP.) and, as said, that's gonna be easier in SFV then just about any other fighting game besides tag fighters due to how long SFV causes hit /block stun compared to most other fighters so you have more time to react to what state your opponent is in then usual. So if you want to work on your confirms, this is probably the place to do it.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 6, 2021

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Dudes finally finished their 8ing Naruto rebalance - those Gamecube games run on the same engine as Bloody Roar, so they were able to import a lot of animation and systems from that game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOD7lcfIBvY

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the clash of ninja games are actually pretty solid and that mod looks like a lot of effort went into it. legitimately cool

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

wow they did a shitload of stuff

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
https://twitter.com/SNKPofficial/status/1346855948053221377

personally, i blame crow

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

t0t

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
SNK are the ultimate internet pranksters

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/takkuten/status/1346855261244424193?s=20

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Mr. Locke posted:

SFV is 'easy' not because it's particularly easy on execution (Although it's hardly the hardest fighter out there, especially compared to earlier SF games) but because it's pretty easy on reaction- everything causes tons of hit stun, crush counters give you all day to decide and confirm a punish, V-triggers give you the ability to confirm basically anything, activating on reaction to hitsound. Optimal punishes can be tricky, but 'good enough' punishes can be pretty simple since most characters can do stuff like Target Combo into Activate to Simple V-trigger Punish Combo and that's can still be like 40%+ for the low low price of having a decent button that starts a target combo (most characters have a decent button that starts a target combo.) Catching your opponent with something random and turning it into real damage is easier in SFV then almost any other fighter I can think of that doesn't have an assist button.

That said, it means that low levels tend to be even rougher then usual in SFV, because even bronze nubbins can fairly effectively blow you up on fuckup, so getting better at SFV and climbing out of low ranks involve grinding out your defensive play because anyone can murder you for screwing up. Ryu's actually kinda weak here, and he definitely suffers in lower-level play- he requires links at even a basic level because neither of his target combos work on crouching opponents nor confirm into anything without burning a resource, so you're better off doing stuff like S.MP -> S.MP to start a punish then trying for either target combo. If you're feeling like you're plateauing with Ryu, maybe mess around with more of the cast and see if there's someone else you like more.

e: Hit confirm is just something that's going to take practice. The trick with most characters is to either have a pretty safe link or TC that can confirm to real damage (for Ryu that's S.MP -> S. MP and cr. LK -> cr. LP.) and, as said, that's gonna be easier in SFV then just about any other fighting game besides tag fighters due to how long SFV causes hit /block stun compared to most other fighters so you have more time to react to what state your opponent is in then usual. So if you want to work on your confirms, this is probably the place to do it.

That actually makes a lot of sense. I rely a lot on Ryu's basic target combo (s.MP, HP, HK) just from muscle memory and I'm trying to get away from it because of the low damage. I'm trying to work on s.mp, c.mp, l.tatsu to replace it but it's slow going.

The part I actually don't like about SFV or any fighting game is the all the long combos and juggling where I just feel helpless while I wait for the opponent to finish jacking off their long combo - so I hate fighting Gill, G, Urien, etc. I've read that SFV actually has short combos overall so I don't know if I would even like anime fighters.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

capcom released a big set of rules on how you can stream: big ones i noticed:

it looks like you can't just upload straight match footage

you're banned from using any mods or roms, so null_dc netplay is off limits

you're not allowed to have emotes based on capcom properties

https://www.capcom-europe.com/video-policy/

full thing

night slime
May 14, 2014

Gutcruncher posted:

SNK are the ultimate internet pranksters

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

You can upload straight match footage if it's your own, but only on console?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Putting all that Saudi blood money to good use, I see.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Draxion posted:

You can upload straight match footage if it's your own, but only on console?

from what i understand, you can only upload match footage from a game on a console that has streaming capabilities if you put commentary over it

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

capcom released a big set of rules on how you can stream: big ones i noticed:

it looks like you can't just upload straight match footage

you're banned from using any mods or roms, so null_dc netplay is off limits

you're not allowed to have emotes based on capcom properties

https://www.capcom-europe.com/video-policy/

full thing

With how much content lately has come from emulated online play for a variety of the larger fgc personalities I can't say I'm surprised.

I really wish though that they'd just release actual versions of the games people want with good netplay if they're going to clamp down on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I don't think it's worth going to KoF or GG just to "sharpen your skills." If you want to switch off SF5, do it because you're switching to a different game you would enjoy playing, not because other people have said they personally find SF5 easy, especially if you're finding SF5 sufficiently challenging to play.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 6, 2021