Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Does that Iron Man look like Richard Nixon to anyone else or is it just me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Weembles posted:

Does that Iron Man look like Richard Nixon to anyone else or is it just me?
Nope you aren’t the only one

:nixon: Who’s kicking who around now arooooooo

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

Over in Pet Island, they're not seeing the joke

Late, but as SA's most useless mod mod of Pet Island, I would happily endorse a thread on the proper care and feeding of your new weird monster.

Probably half our threads already qualify.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Slammy posted:

And He Did! (December 22, 1917)

And She Dyed!

riderchop posted:

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

These Flash Forwards are getting really weird.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Haifisch posted:

And She Dyed!

:D

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Haifisch posted:

And She Dyed!

Only the good dye young

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

Whoa

bahahahahaa god that could not be more perfect- it has the single hair out of place, the shirt color, every loving thing

At this rate you may actually get a cameo Vargo

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 5, 2021

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

PainterofCrap posted:

Monster Rally - 1950

Discendo Vox posted:

The item in the lower right isn't a strop; I can't find examples of it being held on a separate stand and it's oddly shaped for that. The reel mechanism matches some designs used to dispense disposable straight razors, but still not a reasonable position. I found an image of such an item in an old film still:

Note the looping cord.

A similar device appears in a couple other actual photos from the period, on a similar stand, pushed to the back of the room.

Fake edit: I am not positive (because it's depicted as free-standing and has no power cord, and its placement is odd), but it might be a Stim-U-Lax, a handheld vibrating massager that is still being made today. The reciprocating motor goes on the back of the barber's hand.
http://www.russianaz.org/news/2005/Oct_13_Barber.html, http://progress-is-fine.blogspot.com/2017/02/oster-stim-u-lax-junior-and-oster.html. This doesn't fully match the photos; I think this one may be a bit off-model?

I'm pretty confident I'm missing something here. Anyone have any ideas? I did find this fun vid in the process.

Haifisch posted:

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Time for an effort repeat.

Discendo Vox posted:

Vox's food regulatory history derails, Origins of the Sunday Comics Edition

This comic depicts a variety of programs by the USDA, as well as directly by states under the Hatch Act and several other related subsequent laws, which funded public land grant universities to conduct research on a huge variety of agricultural activities and areas, in every state of the union. These programs usually funded product-specific "agricultural research stations" that tried a variety of things to increase yields, quality, processing efficiency, or produce other improvements to agricultural output.

The USDA programs, as well as the Hatch Act and its successors were (like all legislation from this period) a massive porky payout to the states, but they also served an incredibly vital role- improving the food security of the nation. Though it's hard to fully appreciate these days, farming is an incredibly resource-intensive, risky activity that routinely fails to produce useable results. The modern, massive surplus of food the US produces is due to both sustained market control subsidies by the US government that make farming predictably profitable, as well as several generations of federal investment in agricultural science- a level of societal and institutional investment in research, education, and progress on a scale that's now hard to appreciate.

This cartoon illustrates how the public perceived these newfangled "scientific" programs at the time-both with optimism, and bemusement. There's a lot to go over in this image, and I'd be happy to answer questions about any individual part of it. I will say that, to the best of my ability to determine, all of the programs mentioned in the image are real, aside from the featherless chicken and combined organ/incubator.

Yes, that includes the radium ones. Look, we put radium on everything back then.

I'd like to particularly draw attention to the "butter and cheese testing station" in the upper right. Before the FDA was created, the USDA attempted to address some of the rampant issues the US faced with food fraud and impurity. I've written about the colossal debate over butter, margarine, etc that was a major driver in the creation of the FDA in an entirely suitable place- the funny panels thread. This post inspired this 1100 word essay, "Vox's food derails: butter orgy comic edition". Strongly recommended reading for people who are fans of the Vox Expanded Effortpost Universe. Add it to your pulls.

Through the land grant university system, and through funding for university research in agriculture, the USDA and the Hatch Act represented a massive investment by the federal government in the very idea of science as a tool of progress itself, as well as in the potential of the American farmer. This investment ultimately paid off with a remarkably stable domestic food supply, a major source of domestic prosperity, international soft power and food aid that we now take for granted. Many modern pesticides, growth media, equipment, ag practices and even new crops are the product of this sustained, intense expression of trust in the power of progressive research.

I don't want to make these programs sound perfect - they were haphazard and uneven, the quality of research was often rough (it was before the postmodern scientific apparatus was formalized post-WW2), and initial ag research programs focused so heavily on product development that larger externality issues of agriculture were ignored. Many research projects (like, uh, increasing crop size with radiation exposure) were total busts early on. The institutions of research pioneered during this period would later be turned to the recovery from the Dust Bowl and toward conservation purposes as well. Agricultural research programs still exist (including the Hatch Act), but they do not capture the public imagination the same way they once did.

In many ways it seems the American public have forgotten just how fragile our food system is. In addition to issues of power concentration among landholders, there is a growing societal alienation from how our food is produced- and a broad insecurity about the quality of food that comes from a scientific production process we do not understand. Unlike the figures in the cartoon, scientifically grown food has become bad food. With this alienation and insecurity, fearmongers and scammers (and, you know, farming companies) have realized the profit to be gained from selling fear- and "green", "natural" foods with a massive upcharge. From raw milk to organic labels to greenwashing, members of the public seek to understand and exercise control over what they eat by demanding "natural" foods that reject some of the lessons of agricultural science threaten to raise food prices and, in the long term, reduce the security of our food system, and public health at large. Although some of these naturalistic preferences are valid, many, such as a fear of GM crops or modern pesticides, do no benefit and a great deal of harm. They're little better than anti-vaccination beliefs - an instinctive expression of fear of the unknown, easily exploited.

More than an increase in federal funding for ag research, the American public need a reinvestment in ag education- in appreciation for the role that scientific research and its complexities should play in all aspects of our society, including our farms. Proper respect for scientific institutions can be a bulwark against fearmongering and uncertainty regarding to food and any number of other areas.

Because it turns out that, even if it can't safely grow giant strawberries, irradiating your food can be a pretty good thing.

edit: edited to remove some potentially erroneous funding statements- I don't know USDA as well as FDA and I'm having trouble getting a clear image of the modern funding situation.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Back in the mid-80s, I had an employee (a 5'1" Cajun) who failed to show for his (3rd) shift (so guess who didn't go home after working 1st & 2nd as the manager...). He called me from jail at 3AM to tell me got into a barfight and was arrested for aggravated assault. The next morning, I threw his bail.

Hey, when he wasn't drunk & brandishing knives in bars, he was a good employee. And by "good," I mean he was dependable & didn't eat/steal stock.

Good news! I retrieved two more Addams anthologies from Mom’s house! One is from 1947!

Monster Rally – 1950

This is the one that folks claimed landed Addams in treatment. One of my all-time favorites!

I sent this out as a home-made Christmas card one year.

Another favorite!

One more round, and Monster Rally is finis!

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 5, 2021

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
drat I love the Addams. But the comic always has Mortician looking miserable in a FOOB way. And I always forget how Gomez looked, for in my mind he is always Raul Julia.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

In this installment of The Timid Soul (September 19, 1927), golf!

Realize that Webster drew the pattern on Caspar's shirt and socks entirely by hand.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

This look into the future of Rae the Doe is really wholesome. :3: I'm glad everyone is doing all right.

So we all agree this is just Edda getting high from huffing her own farts, right?

Discendo Vox posted:

bahahahahaa god that could not be more perfect- it has the single hair out of place, the shirt color, every loving thing

At this rate you may actually get a cameo Vargo

I think Jules might have even used a clipart of Mark Trail just for that authentic Jamsallen tracing. And a Dr. Vargo cameo would absolutely rule.

Cowslips Warren posted:

drat I love the Addams. But the comic always has Mortician looking miserable in a FOOB way. And I always forget how Gomez looked, for in my mind he is always Raul Julia.

Raul Julia as Gomez was such a perfect casting.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

And conversely, Wednesday is always so pleased and happy-looking. I remember being sort of puzzled by that when I saw my first samples of non-TV Addams.

amigolupus posted:

I think Jules might have even used a clipart of Mark Trail just for that authentic Jamsallen tracing. And a Dr. Vargo cameo would absolutely rule.
They DID never find his body.
Good lord I wish they'd lost clip!Mark's body along with it. That thing looks even more creepy when it's outside its natural home of the uncanny valley.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

PainterofCrap posted:

Monster Rally – 1950

This is the one that folks claimed landed Addams in treatment. One of my all-time favorites!

everything about this is wonderful. i love addams so much, even as a gothy type sometimes i want to ask him “a-are you ok?”

Cowslips Warren posted:

i still haven’t seen the raul addams yet (bad goth!) so gomez is still john astin in my mind

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 5, 2021

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

PainterofCrap posted:

I sent this out as a home-made Christmas card one year.

And of course this one was the opening gag of the 1991 Addams Family movie.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (December 28, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (February 19, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (October 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (February 2, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (July 4, 1935)

Dark Laughter (May 13, 1939)

“Now wait just a minute, Bootsie. Did you say you had a thousand bucks or you wished you had a thousand bucks?”

Mopsy Sunday (September 29, 1946)

Patty-Jo ’n’ Ginger (April 1, 1950)

“Okay, I promise … no April Fool pranks. But Jelly Bean EXPECTS some kinda trouble outa me … so I’ll BEHAVE myself. THAT’LL confuse her!”

Wee Pals (March 26, 1965)

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Slammy posted:

you tell em

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

This one's incredible but I think my favorite thing is the cop on the right's "what the gently caress" expression

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Slammy posted:

My grandfather, born 1903, was juuust starting his career as a research chemist when the income tax brackets started downwards, and by 1934 had reached him.

Consequently, he hated FDR with the fiery heat of a thousand suns and never voted for a Democrat his entire life. He was also a colossal bigot.
Boy, I wish Everett True could have had a minute with him.

Slammy posted:

Hitz and Mrs. (October 1923)
drat, that's cold: Process server.[/quote]

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

amigolupus posted:

Raul Julia as Gomez was such a perfect casting.

I haven't seen it, but when they announced Oscar Isaac as Gomez for the recent one, I thought "that is some fantastic casting, I think if anyone can approach Raul Julia, it's him," and I was disappointed to hear it wasn't a very good movie.

PainterofCrap posted:

Monster Rally – 1950

I don't know exactly why, but this one always got me.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I would say that it takes a special kind of heart to put out a good Addams movie.

Like, you can go by the numbers and have a quirky goth movie but,.....wouldn't be Great.

.....It's been many years since I've watched Addams 1+2. Maybe I should change that.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Aztec posted:

I would say that it takes a special kind of heart to put out a good Addams movie.

Like, you can go by the numbers and have a quirky goth movie but,.....wouldn't be Great.

.....It's been many years since I've watched Addams 1+2. Maybe I should change that.

Best Thanksgiving movie ever, the second one.

"And for these reasons, I have decided to scalp you. And burn your village to the ground.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Maxwell Lord posted:

And of course this one was the opening gag of the 1991 Addams Family movie.
Yup!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vptcez6UBxY

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Holy poo poo that Mark Trail isn't an edit!

The Dinette Set passes the buck.

Working Daze is still doing repeats.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is always the one you least expect.

Cul De Sac has seen it all before.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Monster Rally owns. I really want to rewatch the movie now.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Oh right I should post my comics for today.

Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (May 23, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 8-9, 1988)

Robbie and Bobby

(Apr 18, 2018)

(Apr 20, 2018)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

For any of you just coming in, this is Jack/Jock. He was initially a one-note Dumb Jock character, but eventually grew into a sort-of love interest for Luann. They even went on a few dates. Team Evans are working on retconning him as never having been a sort-of love interest for Luann and are hoping we all forget about those dates. I don't think it's going to work out, though. Just look at today. How many more ways can Jock say, "Hey, Luann, please look at my dick."

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Holy poo poo that Mark Trail isn't an edit!

I think we've got our first thread title change

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Luann is almost as bad as 9CL in the "these are definitely clothes young people today wear" department.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

Luann is almost as bad as 9CL in the "these are definitely clothes young people today wear" department.

nonsense, college freshmen always walk around looking like 90s hillary clinton

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

What, you don't wear a sensible blazer over a turtleneck when you go to the dog park?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
What is the climate supposed to be? Like the turtleneck/blazer combo stands apart from the sockless sneakers. Add that there are plenty of background silhouettes operating normally in green fields.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Professor Wayne posted:

I was going to say that Luann's not awful when it comes to that, the outfits are pretty simple because of the art style, but it generally looks like something a young person might wear. But then I looked up again and realised that I'd just blocked what Luann was wearing.

Julet Esqu posted:

What, you don't wear a sensible blazer over a turtleneck when you go to the dog park?

Sensible blazer over a turtleneck, with yoga pants at that.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

I think the confusion here arose because Luann's ridiculous art teacher originally referred to him as "Mr. Jock", which is an odd thing for a teacher to do to a student, but as far as I can tell "Jock" was never actually presented as his proper name. As you can see here, Luann is a self-centered dingus who never bothered to learn his actual name:

And here, when he finally gets to introduce himself, he's Jack.

Also noteworthy is just how dull and insufferable both Luann and Bernice are, in general and to each other. What a comic strip!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I guess I never introduced my comics this thread so:

2017 Spiderman

Newspaper Spiderman is the dumbest living thing in his universe, easily defeated by bricks, and constantly having insane poo poo happen around him. Unfortunately the strip ended in 2019, but I've spent the past couple years posting strips since 1999. We're currently up to 2017. If you want to look at old NSM, there's a handy archive in the OP of the NSM thread.

1978 Comics are an assortment of comics I found interesting. They're harvested from the google newspaper scans of The Evening Independent, a St Petersburg, Florida-based paper.

1978 Mary Worth is notable for lacking a lot of the regular cast modern Mary Worth revolves around, and for interesting things actually happening in it every once in a while.
1978 NSM is NSM, except Peter is angrier and Carol exists to give MJ a rival for Peter's attention. We're currently in the middle of a 'I quit being Spiderman, for real this time!' arc.
1978 Rex Morgan is notable because it's actually about medical(or at least hospital) drama most of the time. It also lacks the insufferable precocious children, Mr. Diabetes, and several other not-medical-professional characters the modern strip expects you to care about.
1978 Nancy is Bushmiller Nancy, near the tail-end of his run.

And because I can, here's the other strips in this paper's comics section:
Travels with Farley got a test run last thread, but quickly revealed itself to be too center-right for everyone's tastes. It replaced Inside Woody Allen a few in-paper months ago, which is an improvement on the grounds that it does not contain Woody Allen.
Wizard of Id is Wizard of Id.
Beetle Bailey is Beetle Bailey.
Redeye is like if Hagar the Horrible was a)less good and b) about Native Americans. Despite the extremely stereotypical depictions in the art, the actual writing/humor is inoffensive and typically pretty bland.
Wright Angles is made by a chud. Most of it is bland but sometimes it'll start making fun of teachers/that newfangled "women's lib movement"/radio djs(this once took up an entire week of strips and I wish I was joking). It's only interesting in how bad it is.
The Girls is about The Girls. I don't pay enough attention to it to know if there's a consistent cast of Girls or not. It mostly seems to be bland jokes.
Marmaduke is a demon hound that will someday consume us all.
Dear Abby is not a comic strip, but sometimes has something interesting enough for me to post. She's notable for being impressively progressive about LGBTQ people & weirdly conservative about having sex/cohabiting before marriage.

Locher Tracy is Dick Tracy from the Tiny Hands Tracy era. I post this instead of modern tracy because it's weird enough to be entertaining & not completely up its own rear end with references.

Origins of the Sunday Comics is what it says on the tin. Sometimes it reruns old ones but I'm not really complaining. It's curated by someone on Gocomics.

Footrot Flats is about a New Zealand sheepdog that really needs to get his tapeworm medicine.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I rewatched the 1991 Addam’s Family movie at Halloween and I think it holds up pretty well. It’s funny how many nods to the Monster Rally strips there are. (Also how much they got out of Gomez and Morticia just being extremely horny for each other)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Didn't know that one yet and it got me good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

holy poo poo

Overboard

Monty