Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Collateral posted:

If there is one local, have a look in cash converters. They sometimes have laptops that are worth twice what they are selling them for. Pre-owned, and potentially nicked, but you get more for your money than buying new from pcworld.

urging goons to pop to the shops... the indirect patio...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Bobby Deluxe posted:

my whole kitchen smells of fresh chicken

at first i was worried i left some raw chicken somewhere but its been a week and it still smells like fresh chicken

nowhere else, just the kitchen

What does fresh chicken smell like?!?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

11 herbs and spices

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

well if you get a fresh chicken

it smells like that

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
With or without the feathers on?

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

better fresh chicken than used chicken

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Also, what do you need the laptop for?

It's actually for a pal of mine who foolishly thought I might be able to recommend something because I'm good with computers.

He's a maintenance/gardener dude but is about to start a garden design course?! Which I guess means some essays but some Photoshop or simple cad or something maybe?

He's also a musician and wants to edit/upload videos to YouTube of himself. Also got a flash new SLR for his Xmas apparently and so it's a way to view/pay with those I guess.

The last game he played was dragons lair and space ace on I think a smart TV.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Vitamins posted:

better fresh chicken than used chicken

moist chicken

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Depends if he wants to render anything, but sounds like a lots of ram and onboard graphics job.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

Depends if he wants to render anything, but sounds like a lots of ram and onboard graphics job.

This applies to both laptop and chicken.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Sudden Javelin posted:

Dominos occasionally refused to deliver to my halls when I was a student as uni people tended to order drunk then pass out

Comes with the territory if you're open til 5am though imo

I once ordered a Chinese while drunk and passed out on the sofa before it arrived. I woke up much, much later on to an empty stomach and 3 missed phone calls.

I deleted my JustEat account in shame.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
I got an air fryer and a rice cooker last year and it scratches that take out food itch with minimum effort and time.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Is it good with pizzas?

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
frozen ones that are the correct size and shape yes, its also great for reheating morning after take out slices.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I admit I have no idea what an air fryer is or what's it's for.

But you're dressed as a banana so I assume you're into your food.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I admit I have no idea what an air fryer is or what's it's for.

But you're dressed as a banana so I assume you're into your food.

lol, my son wore that costume on his leavers day.

Air fryers are for cooking the worlds best fishfingers, that's all you need to know really.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I'd like to invest in an air dryer one day as they seem neat

But I fear it'll sit unused like my toastie maker, my food processor, my slow cooker and my Soda stream

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I had all those things before I moved into an off-the-grid cottage, then having the fridge on and trying to use the toastie maker would trip and reset the system so I just chucked it all in my mums attic where they remains to this day.

You had to wait for a really sunny day to get enough juice off the panels to use the washing machine, or fire up an auxiliary diesel generator

Theres no point to this post, but I do miss it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

What was the wi-fi like though? WiFi now means internet connection by the way.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Pistol_Pete posted:

I once ordered a Chinese while drunk and passed out on the sofa before it arrived. I woke up much, much later on to an empty stomach and 3 missed phone calls.

I deleted my JustEat account in shame.

Been there. 4 missed phone calls and a kebab left in a bag at the front door. Ended up trying to reheat it in the oven the next day, after scraping off all the salad which wouldn't survive the process.

Between ordering and passing out I decided to boil some eggs. Without water. My partner works late shifts and came home to a smoky mess that lingered for weeks.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
At university I shared a house with a girl who would put eggs on to boil and then go back to her room. She let the pan boil dry more than once.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Yes!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What was the wi-fi like though? WiFi now means internet connection by the way.

Usable, but not impressive - and trees kept falling on the line knocking it out for a few days. There was 4G by the windows that was faster

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Ratjaculation posted:

I had all those things before I moved into an off-the-grid cottage, then having the fridge on and trying to use the toastie maker would trip and reset the system so I just chucked it all in my mums attic where they remains to this day.

You had to wait for a really sunny day to get enough juice off the panels to use the washing machine, or fire up an auxiliary diesel generator

Theres no point to this post, but I do miss it.

This is a good post

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

goatface posted:

At university I shared a house with a girl who would put eggs on to boil and then go back to her room. She let the pan boil dry more than once.

One of my old flatmates used to do this but with chorizo in a frying pan (she'd just fry some up for a snack). She'd put it on then go hide in her room and forget about it. I'd come home from work to find the kitchen a smoke-filled hell hole with a frying pan full blackened sausage.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ewan posted:

One of my old flatmates used to do this but with chorizo in a frying pan (she'd just fry some up for a snack). She'd put it on then go hide in her room and forget about it. I'd come home from work to find the kitchen a smoke-filled hell hole with a frying pan full blackened sausage.

I've done this with cheese on toast more than once. If it's not something you have to actively watch/poke with a stick every so often I get bored and drift away very quickly.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I've generated more than one jet black carbon frisbees through drunken passing out.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

The slow cooker is probably the best bang for buck cooking thing I ever got, cost 10 pounds, about 15 years old now, use it about once a week. Lovely

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

What's a good but perhaps little known or unusual slow cooker recipe?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CancerCakes posted:

The slow cooker is probably the best bang for buck cooking thing I ever got, cost 10 pounds, about 15 years old now, use it about once a week. Lovely

The only one we could find that wasn't stupid expensive was an 8-in-1 with rice/pressure cooking functionality too. It's a great bit of kit and the rice is lovely but the slow cooker seems to be about twice as hot as a 'proper' one, so all my slow cooked meals feel marginally overdone.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

NotJustANumber99 posted:

my housemate used to make this great honey BBQ ribs thing

no idea what the recipe is though, except it had ribs and honey and was cooked in a slow cooker

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

stev posted:

The only one we could find that wasn't stupid expensive was an 8-in-1 with rice/pressure cooking functionality too. It's a great bit of kit and the rice is lovely but the slow cooker seems to be about twice as hot as a 'proper' one, so all my slow cooked meals feel marginally overdone.

A slow cooker? I got two in Morrisons for like I'm sure less than 15 quid each. They don't have any modes. Only 4 hours or 8 hours.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

I don't really get slow cookers, i bought one ages ago and used it for braising steak once and it's like "i could have just done this in the oven??????????"

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

the trick is to smash it into the smallest pieces you can and add heaps of sauce to hide the metal/coppery taste

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

you can hookshot a bunch of random veg into the pot, set it to 8 hours and go off to work or whatever and then when you come home there's food ready. they can't do anything an oven wouldn't do but I don't think I'd put something in the oven and then leave it unattended all day

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NO-h9PFum4

Lee was the lead in Steps when they began. H was an afterthought, and the girls' contribution peaked with Lisa uttering "You're mine now, bubba".

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

kecske posted:

you can hookshot a bunch of random veg into the pot, set it to 8 hours and go off to work or whatever and then when you come home there's food ready. they can't do anything an oven wouldn't do but I don't think I'd put something in the oven and then leave it unattended all day

I could also set it to 4 hours and go off to work and come back though right?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

10000 Sex Arses posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NO-h9PFum4

Lee was the lead in Steps when they began. H was an afterthought, and the girls' contribution peaked with Lisa uttering "You're mine now, bubba".

Interestingly that line was added by the songwriter as a tribute to the late co-founder of the Bubba Gump Shrimp Company

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

kecske posted:

I won't leave any electrical items switched on when I am not home. I know slow cookers are built to not go up in flames but lol gently caress that I don't trust anything

So yeah, it's pointless for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

What if you wanted to record something that was on telly?