Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I sold my daily driver E30 and 318ti and feel like a shell of a man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

glyph posted:

Once you swap the arms and get all the fasteners moving, it’s like an hour job to swap the arms back and forth to give them a back to back drive/ Pepsi challenge. The thing that takes the longest is moving jacks and stands around to get the undertray.

E: if you have two arms with bushings pressed in to swap back and forth.

This is good advice but you must torque things down with the weight of the car on them!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Lightbulb Out posted:

what!!!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

I mean I still have two 325is lol but it’s winter time so I don’t drive them and I’m sad

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Lightbulb Out posted:

Can an e30 be a daily driver anywhere outside of California?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^yes

Lightbulb Out posted:

I mean I still have two 325is lol but it’s winter time so I don’t drive them and I’m sad

oh i thought you meant you sold one of those cars

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Residency Evil posted:

Can an e30 be a daily driver anywhere outside of California?

I drove my 318i for the last 9 years in Iowa, a year in a 325e, and two in a 325is. All but the 325e which never was are in good shape now.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

jink posted:

This is good advice but you must torque things down with the weight of the car on them!

I figured anyone mechanically inclined enough to take swapping control arms on would have already known that. :shrug:

Though I guess I'm the one that came up with the idea.

To round out the post, adding a lathe to the 20 hydraulic press has be an absolute game changer for bushings. Here's the tool I made for the tension arms in my e61 (found two OEM arms with duff bushings at a local junkyard, traded bushings with new OEM lemforderererererrer, then swapped the arms at my leisure). Worked a treat. The bolt was going to be a guide pin, but then I learned the center hole in the bushing isn't concentric to the outer diameter.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Will someone send me a clean e30 shell. It’s for a project!!!!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bape Culture posted:

Will someone send me a clean e30 shell. It’s for a project!!!!

e30 prices here are now completely hosed, good luck!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

e30 prices here are now completely hosed, good luck!

Some guy was selling a 84 318i here for 5k, it sold inside of 48 hours

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does anyone have suggestions on a rubber trunk liner for a G11 7 series so all the messy dead bodies gardening equipment I haul home from the store doesn't ruin my trunk

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rscott posted:

Some guy was selling a 84 318i here for 5k, it sold inside of 48 hours

My god what is wrong with people

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lol 22k, not even a show grade car
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/carlsborg-1987-bmw-325is-e30/7253114366.html

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Went rear-square this time.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Bape Culture posted:

Let’s all just buy e30s and idk... F20Cs

:hmmyes:

for real content, put a deposit down this week so the diff is being built, got my garagistic bushings in. Honestly waiting on some garage furnishings to get here so I can rebuild calipers and whatnot, that should be monday.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 9, 2021

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

SlapActionJackson posted:

Upgraded the F80 to wireless charging - it was only a two-swears job and I can charge my phone in the car again.

Anybody want a universal USB-micro snap-in adapter, or the car-side cradle (PN 84109220652) before I chuck it?

Offering this one more time before I chuck it. You can always use an adapter if your phone doesn't have micro-USB

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Ultimate Mango posted:

So, next M5 is going to be like 5200 pounds, right?

The ‘carbon fibre’ parts will be found to just be a carbon-look wrap over regular parts.

M number becomes a weight measurement more than a model size, bring on the XM7.

I think the curb weight and complexity will continue to increase until they bite the bullet and go full electric. The E63/M5/AMG GT63 all weigh within about 500lb of a Model S Performance, and the Model S is going to be, and maybe more importantly feel, far quicker in normal driving situations. I noticed reading the AMG boards that they don't really talk about 0-60 times anymore, it's like 60-130 rolling starts because they just aren't competitive off the line even with twin-turbo hybrid V8s and all wheel drive. Not to mention the inevitable maintenance nightmares when these cars are out of warranty.

I also think the potential buyers of an M5 and similar cars are especially interested in bench-racing numbers like 0-60 because how many people are taking their 4,500+lb luxury sedans to the track outside of the car reviewers?

My not-so-bold prediction is in 10 years we are going to have a bunch of electric performance sedans that weigh 2.5 tons and run the 1/4 mile in the low 10 second range, I just hope they are more fun to drive than the Tesla.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The same people complaining about weight are the people who want full merino leather and butt massagers and 50 screens. If you don't want that stuff, Porsche makes a manual, RWD, mid engine, naturally aspirated coupe that weighs 3000 lbs.

Gimme the luxury boat with a 500 hp engine. I already have a track car.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

heated game moment posted:

My not-so-bold prediction is in 10 years we are going to have a bunch of electric performance sedans that weigh 2.5 tons and run the 1/4 mile in the low 10 second range, I just hope they are more fun to drive than the Tesla.

I hope you're right that they're more fun than the Tesla. I really want to drive an electric car but the only way I can justify spending too much money on cars is if I really really enjoy them enough to warrant the price. The M3P is a great car, but I hated driving it. My only option is to buy something boring and electric for the day to day and keep another gas car for playing around with.

Someone I know and who's opinion doesn't suck got his hands on a Taycan and said it's night and day vs a Model S. It's probably a bit of exaggeration but it at least gives me a little bit of hope that at the very least the Germans might be able to figure out how to make an electric car that doesn't feel like a fast toaster on wheels.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Too bad they cost so drat much. Though I’m sure they’re selling every single one made.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
e30 chat:
E30 chassis weights ~220kg without doors, ~350 with all suspension bits, subframes and a blown diff
Also fits neatly in local scrap metal collector's van https://i.imgur.com/3wqhVW1.jpg

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Anyone have $500k I can borrow?
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-bmw-m3-evolution/

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I feel like you could build one from brand new for less than $500k

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Couldn't legally put a WBS VIN on it and then you've just got a nice repro that lops a digit off the value

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I literally found that the other day when I looked up on a whim how much an E30 M3 goes for, thinking "I bet it's appreciated a fair bit - 50-60k for a good one maybe." Then I saw the 120k and I noped the gently caress out of there. You're telling me this thing is going to go for half a mil?

Old people are loving stupid.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

That's not just an M3 it's an Evo - an even more rare and bonkers homologation special. That's why it'll go for stupid money even when compared to regular E30 M3 prices.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SlapActionJackson posted:

That's not just an M3 it's an Evo - an even more rare and bonkers homologation special. That's why it'll go for stupid money even when compared to regular E30 M3 prices.

quote:

Maximum power - Output - Horsepower : 220 PS or 217 bhp or 162 kW @ 6750 rpm
Maximum torque : 245 Nm or 180 lb.ft @ 4750 rpm
Curb Weight : 1200 kg OR 2646 lbs
Top Speed : 243 km/h or 151 Mph
Acceleration 0 to 60 mph (0 to 96 Km/h) : 6.40 s

This bonkers homologation special with roughly the same numbers as a Fiesta ST. It's not even that old.

Edit: I do admit, it's a very pretty car, as far as "box with wing" goes.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 12, 2021

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

I'm bad and can't read most of the time but how in the gently caress a modern hot hatch is comparable to limited-run homologation vehicle of one of the best cars ever produced?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't understand the purpose of "collecting" things just to own them, and I don't understand why rare things need to be special. Cars are meant to be driven, and half a million bucks is well into "I can't ever drive this except to prevent the tires from flat spotting" territory, which makes it immediately uninteresting to me. Especially when it's a car that, on paper, is nothing special now, and off-paper doesn't matter because it will probably never see a track again.

Maybe I'm weird.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Collectors and their market dictate prices.
Agreed with you on the driving part, but still wouldn't compare a pristine classic sports car to a modern whatever. It's about the visceral feel of the car. As it was made, not just numbers.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's about owning nostalgia, not about how it drives. As someone else said - for that kind of money you could build anything you want. It's not like the technology to make a new E30 has been lost to time.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Erulisse posted:

Agreed with you on the driving part, but still wouldn't compare a pristine classic sports car to a modern whatever. It's about the visceral feel of the car. As it was made, not just numbers.

No idea what the market for an M3 Evo is like and if 23k miles is on the low or high end of the range, but if it's on the low end, I doubt that car is ever seeing 30k miles.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
it's probably better than the other things the likely future owner would be doing with the money, like starting a fake non-profit to help neo-nazis learn to read better or whatever

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Erulisse posted:

There's an incredibly lucrative market for selling old-people their childhood back. My buddy sold a first press copy of the White Album to some idiot for over $1000 a few years back.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KillHour posted:

Cars are meant to be driven, and half a million bucks is well into "I can't ever drive this except to prevent the tires from flat spotting" territory, which makes it immediately uninteresting to me. Especially when it's a car that, on paper, is nothing special now, and off-paper doesn't matter because it will probably never see a track again.

Go to a private track, you will see people tracking things worth a lot more than that and beating the poo poo out of them. A Walton heir shows up to a local one frequently with semi trucks full of vintage race cars and is not shy about putting them in the dirt.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's probably easier to do that when you can just pay someone to hammer out some new sheet metal and you don't care about the cost.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Cars are loving stupid

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bape Culture posted:

Cars are loving stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Bape Culture posted:

Cars are loving stupid
YES

KillHour posted:

It's about owning nostalgia, not about how it drives. As someone else said - for that kind of money you could build anything you want. It's not like the technology to make a new E30 has been lost to time.
That said it helps that the E30 M3 drives excellent despite low power compared to modern stuff. A regular E30 drives great, the differences in suspension geometry mean the M3 is much better. The S14 is seriously crap at low revs but get it into proper operating range and it's an amazing engine. That said there's a lot of other cars I'd consider for even 50k before buying a E30 M3.

Residency Evil posted:

No idea what the market for an M3 Evo is like and if 23k miles is on the low or high end of the range, but if it's on the low end, I doubt that car is ever seeing 30k miles.
23k is low and yeah that car is going to sit in a 'garage' for the rest of it's life, there's a small chance it'll get driven to cars and coffee or anything else.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 12, 2021