Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

You can change costumes when you change jobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The preorder/DLC stuff unlocks a bunch of different costumes, otherwise you can unlock a few other alternate costumes in the endgame. You can change their appearance at Hello Work while changing their jobs.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

In Training posted:

You should be able to go into every building

You basically can just not in every game. Even if you can't enter it it's rad seeing a building in a Yakuza game and knowing what's inside there because of something that happened three games ago.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sweet can't wait thanks goons. I'm like 13 hours in and still haven't unlocked jobs lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

todd the godd let us climb everry mountain in 2011 thanks to skyrim and pathetic japanese open world games are still catching up

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

lol

quote:

Public chiding of Tanaka continued during 1985, including Sega's publication of an arcade game titled Gombe's I'm Sorry (ごんべえのあいむそ〜り〜, Gonbē no Aimusōrī) featuring a caricature of Tanaka dodging various celebrities in a quest to collect gold bars and grow wealthy, with the title punning on the Japanese term for "prime minister", Sōri (総理).

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

thank you sega

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does the fist of the north star game have any arcade games in it like the arcade fist of the north star game if not lost opportunity. i know judgement has the same ones as yakuza 6/7 right

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

i know judgement has the same ones as yakuza 6/7 right
yeah i dont think the arcade game lineup has changed since yakuza 5/0.... would be cool if we got puyo puyo or some of the more modern sega arcade games like afterburner climax and outrun 2......

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's a bummer wish they would change it up

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just read kiwami 2 has virtual on wtf

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
isn’t vf5 in like a dragon?

few hours into kiwami and it just isn’t hitting like 0

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

I just read kiwami 2 has virtual on wtf

Yeah and it sucks. "Uncle kaz, beat the first 3 bosses on v-on!!"
(3 hours later)

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

John Romero posted:

isn’t vf5 in like a dragon?

few hours into kiwami and it just isn’t hitting like 0

Kiwami is probably the least good game in the series simply by virtue of being a faithful remake of the first game in the entire series so substories generally aren’t good, and they added some obnoxious mechanics like the boss health regen that you gotta counter with “Kiwami” attacks. It’s worth going through to see how the story pays off stuff from 0 though.

Then you get to Kiwami 2, which is a crown jewel.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

A lot of people dislike 3 as well because of the block happy enemies, but everything else about it owns. 5 is probably on par with 0 simply by being jam packed with an insane variety of content.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
15 hours in and I finally unlock jobs lol owns owns owns

I never played yakuza 3 but always admired it because doesn’t the game start with like 20 hours of owning a day care and also I remember nerds getting really mad that when it first came out in the US they took out hostess clubs lol

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

man nurse posted:

A lot of people dislike 3 as well because of the block happy enemies, but everything else about it owns. 5 is probably on par with 0 simply by being jam packed with an insane variety of content.

5 is like...four full games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

man nurse posted:

Kiwami is probably the least good game in the series simply by virtue of being a faithful remake of the first game in the entire series so substories generally aren’t good, and they added some obnoxious mechanics like the boss health regen that you gotta counter with “Kiwami” attacks. It’s worth going through to see how the story pays off stuff from 0 though.

Then you get to Kiwami 2, which is a crown jewel.

Majima Everywhere is also a fun idea but he has so much GD health.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Professor of Cats posted:

Yeah and it sucks. "Uncle kaz, beat the first 3 bosses on v-on!!"
(3 hours later)
Yeah I'll be honest I'd never played virtual on before and it was a viscerally unpleasant experience

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Isn't Virtual On the name of that fake Nintendo headset console?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

In Training posted:

Majima Everywhere is also a fun idea but he has so much GD health.

Yeah it starts out fun and then later on it’s like I’m just trying to get to the convenience store and oh here’s Majima with four health bars again

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Virtual On is a cool novelty if you ever get to sit in the arcade cockpit and play it, or at least it was 20 years ago.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
virtual on 1 is not a very good video game, the sequel kicks rear end though

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Judgement has puyo

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Was judgement that slept on? Its really really good

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

HORMELCHILI posted:

Was judgement that slept on? Its really really good

its my favorite one maybe :shrug: even though i played it on sissy kazuo hirai's bad game system the ps4, as our lord and saviour donald turmp might say

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the fight with Kau Long was cool but I wonder when anything in the series will top the sewer battle from 0

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

hearing the New Story Objective sound effect in my head whenever i leave the apt to do a curbside grocery pickup

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
holy poo poo yakuza 2. I just kicked the poo poo out of 2 tigers what a fight

Psychedelius
Apr 24, 2010

In Training posted:

the fight with Kau Long was cool but I wonder when anything in the series will top the sewer battle from 0

i really like the sewer battle in y4 where, after building up the new characters for almost the whole game, you completely wreck them as kiryu.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Thinking about the sewer fight with Kuze in Yakuza 0 and how it's still the most badass thing I've seen in a game

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

I loving love those intro sequences

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I'm going to play yakuza 0. tried it a couple of years ago and as soon as I found a mahjong parlor and learned the rules I just got super into mahjong, got to rank 1 then started playing riichi mahjong online and forgot about yakuza 0. not this time!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Brasseye posted:

I'm going to play yakuza 0. tried it a couple of years ago and as soon as I found a mahjong parlor and learned the rules I just got super into mahjong, got to rank 1 then started playing riichi mahjong online and forgot about yakuza 0. not this time!

Oh what's this? A Shogi parlour?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I went into the underground at level 22 and came out half an hour later level 29 lmao, have I made things too easy now

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I went into the underground at level 22 and came out half an hour later level 29 lmao, have I made things too easy now

What was the end boss?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Brass Hand posted:

What was the end boss?

A roomba that didn't do much damage but took like 10 minutes of slowly beating up. Not the highlight of the game so far tbh but the occasional boring HP sack boss is a Yakuza tradition and at least this time I was probably underequipped

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Not even really a spoiler but - it took me like half the game to think about using moves to target enemies weaknesses. I saw it at the start but it didn't feel helpful. It becomes more important on hard mode and later in the game. You can see weaknesses in the sujidex and observe what does a lot of dmg during battle. If you hit the roomba with a bunch of electric attacks it goes down quick

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

A roomba that didn't do much damage but took like 10 minutes of slowly beating up. Not the highlight of the game so far tbh but the occasional boring HP sack boss is a Yakuza tradition and at least this time I was probably underequipped

Yeah same here it went on forever. The second time i did it the boss was a digger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The quests to find and fight like 10 specific Sujimon suck a dog's rear end. I spent 20 minutes running around Koreatown and found one gambler. Do they unlock anything cool or can I ignore them safely