Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Its Chocolate posted:

how do you get Athletics XP? I've been parkouring and sprinting everywhere with a pure Body melee build and it still doesn't seem to be increasing

You equip a berserk in your deck slot, turn it on and punch the gently caress out of a wall.

That's it.

Running isn't going to do poo poo. My first 70 hours of gameplay, I ran my way to level 3 in athletics. I punched a wall for ~10 minutes and got it to 8 (which was my body cap at the time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

There's also a semi-exploit with Athletics and Berserk where you can activate Berserk, then run and crouch to slide with it active. While mid-slide, open the character menu. You'll keep racking up XP as long as the menu stays open. You can click on the Body submenu to see you Athletics XP, click back to the main Character tab, and then back to Body and you'll see you've gained XP. After a couple of minutes of just sitting idle you'll easily max out your skill.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
equip a berserk cyberware deck, activate it, start running, open one of your menus like character/journal/map and check back on the Athletics XP bar every few minutes

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

TheAnomaly posted:

Everything Johnny says about Arasaka shows how evil they are.

Do you see why it’s weird to say the game shows you how evil Arasaka is... by having Johnny tell you how evil they are? When Johnny spends pretty much all of his scenery chewing talking about how evil every corporation is? They have a very real tell, don’t show problem with this stuff.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What is the advantage of the athletics skill? I haven’t yet done a build that uses that skill and haven’t really looked at it.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
drat that's good answers, thanks. also lol at the bug

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Do you see why it’s weird to say the game shows you how evil Arasaka is... by having Johnny tell you how evil they are? When Johnny spends pretty much all of his scenery chewing talking about how evil every corporation is? They have a very real tell, don’t show problem with this stuff.

Also Johnny is a rear end in a top hat that I trust not at all.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

chaosapiant posted:

What is the advantage of the athletics skill? I haven’t yet done a build that uses that skill and haven’t really looked at it.
More health, carrying capacity, stamina regen, health regen, armour and a bunch of perk points.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I'd say the intro mission/heist makes it very clear who they are.

edit: Cheating a bit, but looking at this bit of source material hammers it home:

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 11, 2021

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

except for all the other stuff people have been talking about, but yeah, this one exact point you replied to is on shaky ground. :v:

In my head, I'm just flailing my arms and going "How the gently caress is a giant corporation having a soul prison not evil enough for people?" It's not even up for debate that this is a thing.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 11, 2021

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

except for all the other stuff people have been talking about, but yeah, this one exact point you replied to is on shaky ground. :v:

In my head, I'm just flailing my arms and going "How the gently caress is a giant corporation having a soul prison not evil enough for people?" It's not even up for debate that this is a thing.

I guess people can get desensitized pretty quickly if the relevant information isn't delivered in such a way that really hammers it home.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Arasaka is a multinational corporation, of course they're evil.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I personally think it's fine as is, because a lot of the side (or even main quest) text says that Arasaka is super evil af...but not super evil af specifically against V in particular. So at the end it's not out of character for one of the options to be V going "Yes, I will make a deal with The Devil." Sure it's because their evil is on a larger institutional level and yes, some of V's dialogue options can point out how hosed up they are and yes, a lot of shards basically go there and even if you don't do any side stuff you always find out that Arasaka definitely tortures and definitely created hell. But hey, they promise they can help V...

EDIT: Which is not to say I wouldn't be against even more overt displays of Arasaka's shittiness. GIMME MORE CYBERPUNK

Artelier fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 11, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is the tarot mission worth finishing at all? I think I have half of them but meh, unless it actually opens up a real mission at the end I'll probably just quit. Same with the boxing matches.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Is the tarot mission worth finishing at all? I think I have half of them but meh, unless it actually opens up a real mission at the end I'll probably just quit. Same with the boxing matches.

Boxing can be kinda fun. Tarot is not. Neither hide anything super special.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Lone Badger posted:

Boxing can be kinda fun. Tarot is not. Neither hide anything super special.

I've done it twice out of some sort of weird obligation to the map icons and can't for the life of me remember the outcome/rewards.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

If you don't complete the Tarot, Misty dies.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Corporate V going akaska ending makes the ending even more meaningful, cause you see him thinking he knows the game... to realizing the reality.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Another thing the game doesn’t tell you: You can complete assassination missions non-lethally. If you knock out the target the fixer will send a car to pick them up. Most of them don’t deserve it, and your fixer will probably just kill them anyway, but you can if you want to.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
A few of them have bugged out on me if you opt to try doing it nonlethally, the Biotechnica corpo in the hotel comes to mind.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Almost 150 hours in and my dipshit dumb rear end didn't realize that in act 1 all the quest names are relatively simple and straightforward and after act 2 every single quest is named after a song. Because you-know-who is a musician.

:psypop:

Also

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 11, 2021

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
endings

i can't believe trusting a corporation ended up with them owning my soul in perpetuity!!!

its very bleak but it suits the corpo lifepath well. 'don't forget the way back' is a good last line, thanks hajime

game is broken as gently caress and still fantastic

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Which one of the endings in all the spoilers above is the secret ending? Because it's really sounding to me that even though I missed that one I chose the only ending that would be even remotely satisfying to me. I mean sure your attempts to fix the situation in Arizona will probably amount to poo poo but in this world going out on one's own terms is the best anybody can really hope for. "Sell out or die" feels like an extremely apropos moral for this game. Also you get to leave Night City and frankly gently caress that place. It is a poisoned land filled with poisoned people.

I actually was getting vibes that The secret ending would result in V and Johnny becoming a merged personality. It seems like there was foreshadowing in that regard; being able to exercise some measure of control when Johnny was at the wheel after the first time, the place where the terminal was in the soul prison resembling the place where you merged Delamin into a single personality.

Now I want to do a girl run so I can Bring Judy and Panam to Arizona with me.

I feel like that this game being on our Top 10 of the year despite having one of the shittiest, most problematic launches ever is a testament to how good it is.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 11, 2021

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

exquisite tea posted:

Arasaka is a multinational corporation, of course they're evil.

Also their claim to fame in this story is something called SOUL KILLER lmao

But how do I recognize them as baddies?

:thunk:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
(Warning: baseless speculation ahead re CDPR quest design process. Comte I love you man, sorry if the following is all bullshit)

I've been thinking about Comte and the story he told us in the Witcher 3 thread about all those question marks in Skellige. So in Witcher 3, if I remember this correctly, Comte and some others were tasked with creating some random "bandit camp" type content, except actually even lighter than the bandit camps, so just a few enemies and a barrel of loot, repeated more or less identically. (I didn't do more than a couple of these so not sure if they were completely identical or just mostly.)

Anyway, after a bunch of this random light content was created, some quest producer person then decided that since there is now all this content in this Skellige area, we need to mark it on the map. And, for some reason they then used the question mark icon for these, which was already used for the normal bandit camps which, while still very light, were not quite that light and samey in content. So the result was that in Skellige there are now like 50 question marks, 40 of which are just not worth doing.

It feels to me like something similar happened with the assaults in progress and also car sales in Cyberpunk 2077. Someone decided they needed to create about five times more assaults than really necessary, and then it was also decided to mark all of these on the map, and even have an achievement which encourages you to do all of them. On the car front, all of the models etc were done, which is great, but then for some reason the mechanics of buying a car became this never-ending shower of text messages and also they are quests and they have the same quest markers as the actual quests and uh.

It's a fairly small complaint, but it seems they could have streamlined this a bit if given more time. Do the car stuff a bit differently so it's not as in your face, and use different markers on the map (and maybe have a toggle to show/not show the cars in the main view); cut most of the assaults and combine the remainder into say 5-10 slightly meatier ones, with better continuity from other gigs or side jobs so it's more understandable what's happening on this site and why. Something like that.

The more I think about Witcher 3 the more Cyberpunk 2077 feels like an almost exact continuation of it. That is, in all the things I care about, so not the combat or the different vehicles and so on. :v:

But seriously, Witcher 3 had main quests, side quests, monster contracts (gigs) and bandit camps. If I remember correctly the camps were unmarked until you wandered near them (like 200 metres), and there was no achievement to do all of them. The contracts were small self-contained short stories, and the main quests and side quests were the main meat, character and narrative heavy and all of that. Witcher was also gorgeous as heck, had excellent writing and directing, awesome characters etc. Hell, even the best bits of music in both games had this haunting violin stuff going on (witches in the swamp in Witcher, Cyberspace in Cyberpunk). In many ways these games feel very similar to me, and they are both awesome games.

One issue with Cyberpunk is the "bandit camps" and car sales being a bit too important. But the biggest issue by far would have to be the enemy AI. In Witcher my second playthrough was on the highest difficulty and enemies would often two-shot me if I messed up. But in Cyberpunk I guess they didn't have time to polish the AI properly since like 80% of enemies prefer trench warfare and only 20% will try to rush you. The way I play I try to use my guns and melee weapons in almost every encounter to make it less silly, and when I deliberately get in their face, the enemies will usually two-shot me (on highest difficulty) if I mess up. But it's not great for sure.

I don't know if it's feasible to fix the AI in a patch, really hope it is since that would be the biggest improvement for 2077. But if they were to put in new AI for every enemy, then they'd probably have to do proper playtesting for every mission and encounter in the game all over again to make sure the new scripts don't break anything. I don't know how they do their play testing but I'm guessing it would have to be exhaustive. So, it could be that we'll see better AI only for some new types of enemies they introduce in a separate expansion.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

Which one of the endings in all the spoilers above is the secret ending? Because it's really sounding to me that even though I missed that one I chose the only ending that would be even remotely satisfying to me. I mean sure your attempts to fix the situation in Arizona will probably amount to poo poo but in this world going out on one's own terms is the best anybody can really hope for. "Sell out or die" feels like an extremely apropos moral for this game. Also you get to leave Night City and frankly gently caress that place. It is a poisoned land filled with poisoned people.

The secret "ending" is just a little added part that then leads into the other endings. Essentially if you wait at the point where you make the decision for long enough, Johnny pipes up with "pretty tough call, deciding which person is gonna die for us isn't it? Well I have a suggestion. and then if you ask him to elaborate, he says you could just go on a lone suicide mission to do the thing.

If you say yes it cuts to you walking in through the front door of the tower and doing the lobby rampage from the Matrix essentially, just shooting some hapless security and then mowing through the entire place on your own. It autosaves twice during the sequence but if you die then it cuts to credits and you get texts from everyone being upset or angry at you (I assume these are the ones you get if you just commit suicide on the balcony as well but I haven't seen that ending yet) and you have to reload the save. If you kill Adam and get to Mikoshi, then you get the same choice of leaving Johnny in V's body or V getting their body back with the ticking timer and they become the mercenary king of Afterlife.

I have a question, possibly it gets resolved in one of the endings I haven't seen, it's about Rogue. If you go in with her, does anything get cleared up regarding her? When you raid the boat with her the dude has some dialogue implying she did some hella shady poo poo to survive and thrive as she became what she is in the game and she acts kinda guilty about it there and also on the date with Johnny. After that, Johnny gets you to go see Kerry and I assumed finishing that questline would lead to some revelation or there'd be another sidequest investigating Rogue and what she did in the time after the nuke went off but I didn't get anything like that. It did seem weird that Arasaka never killed her but they seem pretty lackadaisical about tracking down V as well so hey, they're just pretty chill about some stuff I guess.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Whelp. Nobody dies for you I guess. There's that. Suddenly I no longer feel distraught about missing that ending. Nomads 4 life. Sorry Saul. Sorry Bobby, I know you wanted no part of this. There's a question about whether my life is worth both of yours but I'm me so I'm biased.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

thebardyspoon posted:

I have a question, possibly it gets resolved in one of the endings I haven't seen, it's about Rogue. If you go in with her, does anything get cleared up regarding her? When you raid the boat with her the dude has some dialogue implying she did some hella shady poo poo to survive and thrive as she became what she is in the game and she acts kinda guilty about it there and also on the date with Johnny. After that, Johnny gets you to go see Kerry and I assumed finishing that questline would lead to some revelation or there'd be another sidequest investigating Rogue and what she did in the time after the nuke went off but I didn't get anything like that. It did seem weird that Arasaka never killed her but they seem pretty lackadaisical about tracking down V as well so hey, they're just pretty chill about some stuff I guess.

she colaborated with Smasher on ops, and essentially helped Arasaka (though it's not clear for what faction), her yellow "Survive" shirt was a reminder I guess

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Goa Tse-tung posted:

she colaborated with Smasher on ops, and essentially helped Arasaka (though it's not clear for what faction), her yellow "Survive" shirt was a reminder I guess

Cheers, I assumed that was the case cause they were telegraphing that pretty hard. Does that get revealed in the ending if you go in with her then or did I miss a sidequest opportunity?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Cheers, I assumed that was the case cause they were telegraphing that pretty hard. Does that get revealed in the ending if you go in with her then or did I miss a sidequest opportunity?

She kinda tells you during the ending.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Did they patch out the Beat on the Brat exploit? I actually did the fights normally but the final fight seems impossible. I tried dropping my nonlethal weapon (a stun baton) and when I did the equip button it just said "Action Blocked" and the fighter pummeled me. Two hits and I go down and he's so fast that if one hit connects the second does as well. I also don't seem to be able to double jump (ceiling too low?) which was another recommendation I read.

I have €$ to burn so if I should buy the gorilla arms I will but the legendary ones are like 100k and I'd rather not. Of course I've found TWO legendary mantis blades but that's not very helpful...

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Humerus posted:

Did they patch out the Beat on the Brat exploit? I actually did the fights normally but the final fight seems impossible. I tried dropping my nonlethal weapon (a stun baton) and when I did the equip button it just said "Action Blocked" and the fighter pummeled me. Two hits and I go down and he's so fast that if one hit connects the second does as well. I also don't seem to be able to double jump (ceiling too low?) which was another recommendation I read.

I have €$ to burn so if I should buy the gorilla arms I will but the legendary ones are like 100k and I'd rather not. Of course I've found TWO legendary mantis blades but that's not very helpful...

Make sure you have all weapon slots filled or it goes into an empty one and stops you equipping it. Last time someone posted this that was the issue.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Was watching endings on youtube, and I have a question. I played the Rouge ending. During the last bit of dialog between V and Johnny in Mikoshi, V says she wants to continue living, and thanked Johnny as he walked the bridge. But then I see this version, dude picks the exact same dialog options as me, but V / Johnny exchange is different, V references a plan to have Johnny keep her body while she stays an engram, and digitally whips Johnny's rear end on the bridge. Do we know what this difference is dependent on?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Almost 150 hours in and my dipshit dumb rear end didn't realize that in act 1 all the quest names are relatively simple and straightforward and after act 2 every single quest is named after a song. Because you-know-who is a musician.

:psypop:

Also

Comte posted about it;

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

We named all the quests after the "prologue" after song titles, mostly stuff we imagined that Johnny might have liked or been influenced by (and era appropriate to the alt-history). We made a few exceptions because of reasons (usually quest designer REALLY wanted a specific song, or the title was perfect and we were too exausted to keep looking).

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0bV7n0QshCtpLXfQlGEl4K
Tidal (for jerks): https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/98e6ca98-dd4c-4726-9fc8-e46c4528e50a

Not quite everything is on there, cause some songs aren't on streaming services, so we've also included a few covers and substitutions. Obviously minor spoilers for quest names.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

afflictionwisp posted:

Was watching endings on youtube, and I have a question. I played the Rouge ending. During the last bit of dialog between V and Johnny in Mikoshi, V says she wants to continue living, and thanked Johnny as he walked the bridge. But then I see this version, dude picks the exact same dialog options as me, but V / Johnny exchange is different, V references a plan to have Johnny keep her body while she stays an engram, and digitally whips Johnny's rear end on the bridge. Do we know what this difference is dependent on?

I don't know either because my V started getting in the same fight with Johnny even though we were on good terms. Feels like a messed up plot flag or something. It was very confusing.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I don't know either because my V started getting in the same fight with Johnny even though we were on good terms. Feels like a messed up plot flag or something. It was very confusing.

I think it was part of the dialog in chippin' in.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I think it was part of the dialog in chippin' in.

Well that still wouldn't make any sense because my dialogue in that section was rough start, but we made it and we always agreed that V should have the body.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
in case anyone cares, The World of Cyberpunk 2077 is $15 off on Amazon right now, unclear as to why or what the promotion is, but I just bought Cyberpunk RED and I wanted additional lore and also I just really love the game and want to support CSG. Did you write the entire book? They only credit one person as the author on the cover.

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013

afflictionwisp posted:

I’m not sure but I think the trigger is V saying whether or not they would take a bullet for Johnny in the motel after he gives you the dog tags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
btw I am glad they retconned Morgan Blackhand out of the story, never made sense he could stand up to a full borg like Smasher

feels like he's nothing more than a PR gag by Militech to sell hardware

also it was kinda weird that Shaitan got punked so easily in the Helicopter, again full borgs should take more to die (maybe we see him in DLC?), heck an Infiltrator with camo shouldn't even be near that Helicopter