Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

henpod posted:

Oh, well he can stay in there then. I might kill him through the bars.

I hate that guy in the Nexus, if you browse his shop and not buy anything he gets all sniffy and says 'you won't last long down here'. What a dick, I've bought plenty of things from him. I like the other guy way more who encourages me to not let them take my good heart.

I wonder, what happens if I kill everyone in the nexus. Obviously, I won't be able to buy stuff, but is there anything interesting?

Edit - by the way, if I'm spamming the thread or bumping it too often, I can wait a while and ask them all at once.

Opinions on horrid levels and my stress levels will remain.

I wouldn't kill Rydell if I were you, it fucks over your Tendency. Plus if you ever do manage to free him, he gives you neat exclusive loot and unlocks some cells you can't get into otherwise.

Nexus-wise, some of them have neat drops, but for the most part no, you're really just loving yourself over by murdering everyone.
That reminds me though, if you're going into 3-2: the game is about to potentially pull a very mean trick on you. Don't mouse over this spoiler if you want the true-blue first time experience, though: You may come across a black-armored knight in a cage midway through 3-2. If you free him, he will hide in the Nexus on the second floor and every time you defeat a boss from that point on, he will permanently kill every NPC in the Nexus one-by-one (except Thomas and Boldwin). It's in your best interest to leave him to rot, or to free him, defeat one boss (you get one boss worth's of leeway before he starts his rampage), then find him hiding on the far right of the second floor, and kill him there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I wouldn't kill Rydell if I were you, it fucks over your Tendency. Plus if you ever do manage to free him, he gives you neat exclusive loot and unlocks some cells you can't get into otherwise.

Nexus-wise, some of them have neat drops, but for the most part no, you're really just loving yourself over by murdering everyone.
That reminds me though, if you're going into 3-2: the game is about to potentially pull a very mean trick on you. Don't mouse over this spoiler if you want the true-blue first time experience, though: You may come across a black-armored knight in a cage midway through 3-2. If you free him, he will hide in the Nexus on the second floor and every time you defeat a boss from that point on, he will permanently kill every NPC in the Nexus one-by-one (except Thomas and Boldwin). It's in your best interest to leave him to rot, or to free him, defeat one boss (you get one boss worth's of leeway before he starts his rampage), then find him hiding on the far right of the second floor, and kill him there.

I'm not gonna spoil this. If the game is gonna kill me in an unfair and funny way, so be it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

henpod posted:

I'm not gonna spoil this. If the game is gonna kill me in an unfair and funny way, so be it.

you made the right choice. youre already asking way too many questions about a game that rewards intuition and exploration

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

henpod posted:

Good on you. You only get the first play experience once :hf:

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Yeah, fair enough. I'm gonna let the rest of the game take me as it will. I got my weapons sorted and that was my only concern really, as I'm all up for cryptic exploration, just not something that I need to do 100 times due to extreme difficulty. Now that I got my big sword, my lava bow, I'm ready to head out into the mist.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

henpod posted:

I wonder, what happens if I kill everyone in the nexus. Obviously, I won't be able to buy stuff, but is there anything interesting?

there's actually a side quest about this, depending on how you play the game

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
just finished my third NG+ and on my fourth NG with the first character im going to take past level 120 (quality build,) i think this might be the least flawed fromsoft game. every single element combines to make an extremely coherent and intentional experience. all the little stat quirks have their place, theres nothing thats pointless or actively detrimental, even luck is a useful stat given the amount of farming you have to do for some of the rarer upgrade paths. im very impressed

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Omi no Kami posted:

...that is the most broken poo poo in the world, holy crap.

The LOL Cleaver doesn't need upgrading because it has an S rank scale with STR and DEX and A rank with FAITH.

Meaning if you're at 40/40/40 or 50/40/20 for those you can one-hit basically every enemy.

Seeing a red eye knight fall to one bonk is probably the most beautiful thing in the game.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
just brainstorming here but this is my list of perceived flaws in the last bunch of fromsoft titles:

demon’s soul’s:
-maneaters
-world tendency should improve jf you help someone beat a boss and get darker if you invade and kill someone
-stairs leading up to old monk are always a nightmare

dark soul’s:
-capra demon’s dogs
-bed of chaos
-resistance stat
-too many obtuse gameplay pranks (curse, drake sword, hidden bonfire at sen’s fortress)
-bows are awful
-fast roll breakpoint is too low
-soft humanity is stupid
-too hard to get a red eye orb
-has a boss thats a dragon

dark soul’s 2:
-really awful animations
-stamina is way too scarce
-equip load is its own stat
-estus heals too slow
-estus animation is too long
-parry and backstab are awful
-designed to be annoyingly difficult
-adaptability
-schizophrenic illusory walls
-unfarmable enemies

dark soul’s 3:
-armor affects roll distance for some reason
-weapon arts are half baked and either useless outside pvp or totally busted
-impossible to invade anything other than large groups
-magic/faith are way underpowered even compared to ds2
-luck is back but sucks
-co-op system a step back from ds2
-story is completely incomprehensible

bloodborn:
-not enough in-game information about weapon damage types like serrated, piercing, righteous, etc
-not enough in-game info about breaking the bones of bosses
-framerate issues
-multiplayer is iffy
-not enough blood gems outside the chalice dungeons
-cant refresh zones by sitting at lamps
-arcane tools shouldnt use bullets

sekiro:
-dragonrot is pointless
-the same song plays every time you enter combat
-CANT CHANGE CLOTHES!!!!!!! (until very recent dlc)
-folding screen monkeys are stupid and boring
-have to grind for hours to unlock all the weapon arts even after two ng+ cycles
-weapon arts are terribly balanced

as you can see demon’s soul’s clearly has the fewest things to complain about

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

sekiro's dragon boss was awesome, gently caress you and gently caress your stupid list!!

EDIT: I often forget about dark souls 2 despawning enemies if you kill them too many times. what a dumb mechanic lol

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 11, 2021

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

scary ghost dog posted:

just brainstorming here but this is my list of perceived flaws in the last bunch of fromsoft titles:

demon’s soul’s:
-maneaters
-world tendency should improve jf you help someone beat a boss and get darker if you invade and kill someone
-stairs leading up to old monk are always a nightmare

1: firestorm. Also don’t lock on.
2: yep
3: bring a bow.

I’d add Dragon God to your list.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

henpod posted:

Farmed mr reaper and got my dex to 16. Bow feels strong again, all is well in the world.

Gonna go and roll like poo poo through the statue.

Edit - it's a real dick move to out s hole in the ground that you can fall and die from in a dark room. I don't feel bad about cheesing and farming, the game is cheesing me back!

I think for some reason the lava bow doesn't give you a warning when you equip that your stats are too low. Not sure if thats a bug, or intentional.

It didn't stop me from using it to kill the adjudicator, doing 25hp of damage with each arrow shot...

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

seiferguy posted:

I think for some reason the lava bow doesn't give you a warning when you equip that your stats are too low. Not sure if thats a bug, or intentional.

It didn't stop me from using it to kill the adjudicator, doing 25hp of damage with each arrow shot...

I don't think it did! I thought I was fine, but actually four levels under the minimum Dex...

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

GutBomb posted:

1: firestorm. Also don’t lock on.
2: yep
3: bring a bow.

I’d add Dragon God to your list.

maneaters problem is that the ai is really bad and the arena sucks

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Augus posted:

sekiro's dragon boss was awesome, gently caress you and gently caress your stupid list!!

EDIT: I often forget about dark souls 2 despawning enemies if you kill them too many times. what a dumb mechanic lol

the dragon boss in sekiro is awesome, i just wanted to be consistent

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

There are literally two mechanics you can use in Dark Souls 2 to respawn enemies, one of which kills the respawn limit entirely.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

There are literally two mechanics you can use in Dark Souls 2 to respawn enemies, one of which kills the respawn limit entirely.

listen. you probably know more about the inner workings of dark souls 2 than anyone else on these forums. so please dont think im disrespecting you when i say: i dont care

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I'd also say that faith sucking in DS2 is more dire than DS3 simply because it used to actually be very good, until From nerfed it into oblivion.

Something something fleeting memories something something.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tallgeese posted:

one of these methods is "use an ascetic to progress the area to the next NG+ cycle" and the other method is "join the hard mode covenant that makes all the enemies way too tanky and annoying"
maybe the game just shouldn't do the dumb thing in the first place

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Augus posted:

one of these methods is "use an ascetic to progress the area to the next NG+ cycle" and the other method is "join the hard mode covenant that makes all the enemies way too tanky and annoying"

I don't know that I've killed an enemy fifteen times in any souls game in one playthrough, but it's stuff like this that doesn't make me sad that I never went and played any of the ones before Bloodborne (except for this one, which sort of doesn't count)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Augus posted:

That's kind of a good summary of DS2 as a whole: a game full of concessions and workarounds for various systems that could have just not been like that in the first place :v:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

I don't know that I've killed an enemy fifteen times in any souls game in one playthrough, but it's stuff like this that doesn't make me sad that I never went and played any of the ones before Bloodborne (except for this one, which sort of doesn't count)

dark souls 1 is really good

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

dark souls 1 is really good

I've been watching VideoGames stream it on occasion and it is fun to watch but also looks like I would not have fun playing it. I'd much rather watch him wander around and almost die to an elevator than actually do it myself at this point. maybe it would be different if I had played the original back when it came out, but I played DS3 and after that just really had no more desire for Dark Souls, even if the game were better. I got Demon's Souls partially because new system and partially because it was interesting to see where it all came from originally, and the format was refreshingly different.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

I've been watching VideoGames stream it on occasion and it is fun to watch but also looks like I would not have fun playing it. I'd much rather watch him wander around and almost die to an elevator than actually do it myself at this point. maybe it would be different if I had played the original back when it came out, but I played DS3 and after that just really had no more desire for Dark Souls, even if the game were better. I got Demon's Souls partially because new system and partially because it was interesting to see where it all came from originally, and the format was refreshingly different.

I will say that Dark Souls is much more similar to Demon's Souls than DS3 is. DS3 tries to be more of an action game and leans hard on more challenging enemy encounters in a way that Demon's Souls and the first Dark Souls don't. The difference between Dark Souls 1 and 3 is really striking, especially when you play them sorta concurrently as I did last month.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
2-2 is absolutely infuriating in the Platforming parts. So many invisible walls pushing you off. gently caress this level

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
2-2 is nothing compared to 4-2. Or world 4 in general.

Also, is the 3-3 boss just supposed to be a summoned black phantom player? Let's just say a few swipes with the meat cleaver made easy work of them.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

bows1 posted:

2-2 is absolutely infuriating in the Platforming parts. So many invisible walls pushing you off. gently caress this level

Oh yes, going down that part to get to the boss was incredibly tedious. So much so that it would make me rush, and I would die and have to do it all again. You just gotta take it slow and it'll be quicker in the long run...

Had a peep at 5-1 and it looks sweaty and claustrophobic. I might leave it for a bit and work on the others.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

seiferguy posted:

2-2 is nothing compared to 4-2. Or world 4 in general.

Also, is the 3-3 boss just supposed to be a summoned black phantom player? Let's just say a few swipes with the meat cleaver made easy work of them.

Yes. It's also an NPC if you play offline or the connection fails or if you get up the stairs before it can find a player for you. That's why the stairs are so long

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

That's why the stairs are so long

drat, that's clever.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

drat, that's clever.

Yup. Also often enough people die to the Illithids and free Headwraps are handed out.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I love just finding a random cell to stick my summon sign in 3-1 and wait to be called into that fight. About 25% of the time the other guy dies on the stairs but the other 75% of the time you get some really interesting PVP.

I’ve had a lot of fun with firestorm and poison cloud in there.

I’ll start out with a double handed meat cleaver and flail around a bit and just when they think they’ve figured me out I’ll switch to a catalyst and the kris blade and cast firestorm.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I know I saw this for every stage, but Upper Latria is absolutely horrifying. Like, the atmosphere, the otherworldly architecture, this massive pulsing horror in chains - it's extremely scary to me for some reason. Imagine how much my heart dropped After I freed this knight dude, I got in an elevator and to my horror it went down. Down into some huge dark blood swamp with tentacles feeding, and the noises. The noises of these horrible segmented abominations with human faces making pitiful squeaks and groans in my earphones all around me. Awful, absolutely awful. Anyway, I found my way out and fought my way up, only to die to THREE of those gargoyle things hassling me at once. Time to start the stage again. gently caress.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Yeah the level design in Latria is something else. I love the haptics in 3-2

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Magus42 posted:

Yeah the level design in Latria is something else. I love the haptics in 3-2

I don't think I noticed them because I was in a constant state of disgust / horror.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
if you use firestorm as the old monk you should have your ps5 taken from you

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

if you use firestorm as the old monk you should have your ps5 taken from you

this but change it to "if you heal yourself as the old monk"

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
So, I had it spoiled for me by a friend (Accidentally - he thought I was further) about that knight killing my homies in the nexus. I went and killed him first, and he dropped some really badass armor. Too bad it makes my guy weigh 80%, but I'm gonna try and see what it's like to be a tank for a while. My guy looks like sauron now. Maneater was a surprise though, when it suddenly became two bosses. Thank god for my very strong arrows and a bit of luck...

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

morallyobjected posted:

this but change it to "if you heal yourself as the old monk"

I fought someone for what must have been ten minutes - they just kept healing, and eventually I just gave up and let them kill me. It was really tedious.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

henpod posted:

I don't think I noticed them because I was in a constant state of disgust / horror.

They're subtle but match the giant heart beating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that's basically the biggest flaw with demon's souls pvp compared to other souls games. you can enter a fight with enormous amounts of healing items that can heal you for huge amounts and are fast enough to barely be punishable at all