Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Xaris posted:

well gently caress. kinda glad ive been waiting a "generation" here on monitors. unfortunately not sure my desk has room for 2x 27" monitors, ive got a 24" and a 27" and it's barely enough to have one dead-on and one slightly off to the side so i'll have to think about that

i really could use the screen real-estate for having a ton of work-related windows open

then again not always the best idea to early-adopt first-gen of these types.

That's what monitor arms are for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like LG might be launching a 42” OLED, which is right in the sweet spot for me.

LG Display has announced the panel, expectations are that LG TV will announce the corresponding consumer product later today.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Until it's 34" I wouldn't call it a monitor but at least it would fit on a desk.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

https://www.engadget.com/lg-display-42-inch-oled-tvs-coming-soon-121524301.html

Finally. Instant buy if it's basically an LG CX42.

e:fb

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/videocardz/status/1348635550132137986?s=21

32in PC OLED! (Only $2-3k probably!)

(And probably 60hz. And probably not an LG panel)

Cygni fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 11, 2021

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
Am I reading that right? HDMI 2.0?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

ACValiant posted:

Am I reading that right? HDMI 2.0?

Seems reasonable. It looks like it might have a KVM and is being touted for "professional use." It'll 100% be 60Hz, for which HDMI 2.0b is fine.

e; if it's a 10b monitor, then you'd be looking at 4:2:0 subsampling over HDMI (or drop to 8b and keep 4:4:4). But it also has DP (presumably 1.4) ports, which can do a full 4k@60 10b 4:4:4 fine.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 11, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Why don't you make it 32" you fucks

Cygni posted:

https://twitter.com/videocardz/status/1348635550132137986?s=21

32in PC OLED! (Only $2-3k probably!)

(And probably 60hz. And probably not an LG panel)
Oh wait, that might do!

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Really? Only HDMI 2.0 and 60hz? Come on now LG

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
It's a "professional" monitor, so yeah, 60Hz. It's also likely a tacit nod to the fact that it'll be so obnoxiously expensive that the only people who are going to buy them are ones who make their livings with them (and probably aren't buying them personally, but having their jobs buy them for 'em).

I don't think we'll see high-Hz OLED monitors until they can get normal-Hz OLED monitors down to under $1k, which so far they haven't been even close to. That Dell 30" one a few years back was like $3500, IIRC, and was "a deal" on the grounds that they'd originally expected it to be $5k. Only to fail out in high numbers and get discontinued real quick.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Just get a LG CX48 and make your space fit it, worth every cent

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

27" 4K is fine. Higher pixel density on the desktop NOW :colbert:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

windows is still poo poo at scaling

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
So our LG CX 55 got here from Costco, praise be. Turns out it's going on sale in a week for $100 off so I'll get a price adjustment :toot: It looks really nice.

I don't care about ~100% color accuracy~, but I would like to make stuff like Plex and watching Blade Runner 2049 for the 49th time look as good as it can possibly be, deep blacks, vibrant popping colors, minimal washing-out-look, you know that sort of thing. Also does it automatically know to swap to HDR if a movie or something supports it (say if I use Plex over Firestick for example)?

There seems to be about a bazillion settings in this thing and a ton of poor-named TruColorMotion AI Pro Plus Tacobell Supreme Off/Mild/Medium/Spicy/Extreme settings. Is there a good recommended settings table for someone just interested in making stuff look as good as possible even if the colors may not be 100% realistic? Most of what I found online seems more geared toward getting maximum color accuracy

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 12, 2021

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Can anyone recommend me a decent 24" 1080p 144hz monitor for gaming? There are so many choices and they're all so similar it's honestly really difficult to choose. Right now I'm gaming on a laptop that only has an HDMI 1.4b port, so I believe that can only do 120hz on HDMI, so I guess I'd need g-sync? I do plan on fixing my desktop soon, so I'll have display port then.
Any advice would be much appreciated :toot:

Edit: budget is like $250-300 ish

zeldadude fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 12, 2021

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Xaris posted:

So our LG CX 55 got here from Costco, praise be. Turns out it's going on sale in a week for $100 off so I'll get a price adjustment :toot: It looks really nice.

wait maybe I'm missing it in the circular, what's the deal?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

zeldadude posted:

Can anyone recommend me a decent 24" 1080p 144hz monitor for gaming? There are so many choices and they're all so similar it's honestly really difficult to choose. Right now I'm gaming on a laptop that only has an HDMI 1.4b port, so I believe that can only do 120hz on HDMI, so I guess I'd need g-sync? I do plan on fixing my desktop soon, so I'll have display port then.
Any advice would be much appreciated :toot:

Edit: budget is like $250-300 ish

what country are you in? flip the PCPartPicker link to whatever country you're in.

24" 1080p is pretty much commodified these days (which is why they're all so similar) so frankly the decision is going to come down to 144 hz TN vs 75 Hz IPS and beyond that it's just going to be the little things that make or break a particular monitor. Things like how nice the stand is (pan/tilt vs just tilt, or a fixed stand) or the response time, or whatever.

You do want some kind of Adaptive Sync if you can. HDMI 1.4b doesn't have an official variable-refresh standard, the only thing that will work is the proprietary AMD "Freesync Over HDMI" and only if you have an AMD GPU too. If you have a DisplayPort or Mini-DisplayPort then you will be fine with a FreeSync monitor, with the caveat that NVIDIA cards only support it on 1000 series or greater and the compatibility is a bit fuzzier with mobile chipsets (some laptops don't support it at all and you will have to disable Optimus regardless).

the tl;dr is that you probably won't get variable-refresh working on this laptop unless you have DisplayPort or Mini-Displayport, but I'm going to include that as a requirement (in addition to the HDMI) despite you not having it yet because that's what everyone is going to moving forward.

Not sure if PcPartPicker just doesn't have good data or if there really aren't any VESA mountable monitors but that would be a nice feature too, it's not a guarantee in this price range. That means you can use whatever stand or monitor arm you want down the road, not just the one that comes with it.

75 Hz IPS: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=192001080&F=596900000,622300000&P=6,2,3&sort=price&A=2,4,3,6,5&i=41,50

144 Hz TN: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=192001080&F=596900000,622300000&sort=price&A=2,4,3,6,5&i=41,50&D=144000,360000&P=1

IPS will have better color, TN will be marginally faster for gaming (but you also need to consider that you may not be able to drive 144 hz on a laptop anyway). I'm going to recommend against VA type panels in this price bracket, they have too many problems with ghosting even during normal usage.

The other thing is you could go to 1440p 27" 144 Hz IPS which is definitely a step up but is going to be brushing against the top of your budget there and will be harder for a laptop to drive in games (unless you use resolution scaling/etc).

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#F=660400000,698500000&sort=price&A=4,3,6,5&i=41,50&D=144000,360000&r=256001440&P=6,2,3

Or a base-tier 27" 1440p IPS will slide into your budget, but only 75 Hz.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#F=660400000,698500000&sort=price&A=2,4,3,6,5&i=41,50&D=60000,360000&r=256001440&P=6,2,3

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 12, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Paul MaudDib posted:

wait maybe I'm missing it in the circular, what's the deal?
I talk to someone who works in sales & tires at Costco and they've mentioned LG is doing a manufacturer rebate starting 1/17 for $100 off on CX series. LG is the one doing it and they demand lowest price offered/offferable on all their product vendors or they dump them which is what happened to apple several years ago. i dont think it hit the jan 2021 circular but should be hitting in the feb circular. Check the online listing on 1/17

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
:aaaaa:

poo poo, I need two. Mah wallet!

Rolando
Jan 12, 2021
4k in 27" is too small IMO, I have a cheap 60Hz Philips monitor like that and the resolution is way overkill.

I was actually thinking of replacing my dual 27" 1440p displays with a single LG 48" OLED TV, like LinusTechTips did in one of their videos. Although I think I'm gonna wait with that until microLED displays are out, I don't want to deal with OLED burn in.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Rolando posted:

4k in 27" is too small IMO, I have a cheap 60Hz Philips monitor like that and the resolution is way overkill.

I was actually thinking of replacing my dual 27" 1440p displays with a single LG 48" OLED TV, like LinusTechTips did in one of their videos. Although I think I'm gonna wait with that until microLED displays are out, I don't want to deal with OLED burn in.

I would look into rtings oled burn in tests. Apparently these displays can do SOME hours before burn in becomes noticeable.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Thanks for the reply! I'm in the US.

From the sounds of it I shouldn't get my hopes up for a higher refresh rate out of this laptop, since it only has the HDMI port unfortunately. So I guess that means I need to fix my PC sooner rather than later, haha. If only video cards weren't so loving expensive right now.

I'm trying to decide if I want to go with a 24" or a 27" currently.. I'm thinking 27" might be a little too big for my desk.

Are the colors on TN panels really as bad as some of these reviews are saying? I've always had IPS monitors so I'm not sure if they're exaggerating, or maybe they're just dumb?
Thanks again :)

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Xaris posted:

I talk to someone who works in sales & tires at Costco and they've mentioned LG is doing a manufacturer rebate starting 1/17 for $100 off on CX series. LG is the one doing it and they demand lowest price offered/offferable on all their product vendors or they dump them which is what happened to apple several years ago. i dont think it hit the jan 2021 circular but should be hitting in the feb circular. Check the online listing on 1/17

Seems likely they're going to start selling off the CX line cheaper with the announcement of the C1 and G1 line.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Rolando posted:

It's usually not worth waiting for a display technology that isn't out yet, it always takes way too long. You can start the wait when microLEDs are on store shelves but they cost too much.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

FYI the GN950-B did get a firmware update that allows overclocking to 160hz. Apparently it doesn't work with the included DP cable but does with some aftermarket cables

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Rolando posted:

It's to replace my 1440p one with a 4K one at 150% scaling and sharper higher fidelity text.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a single 27" 1440 monitor, and I'm thinking about getting a new one. I don't really have space for two monitors, but I could do one 34" one - how is gaming on ultrawides?

Or a 4k 32"?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I have a single 27" 1440 monitor, and I'm thinking about getting a new one. I don't really have space for two monitors, but I could do one 34" one - how is gaming on ultrawides?

The vast majority of modern games are just fine. Some of them do dumb stuff like chopping back to 16:9 for cutscenes or whatever. Outliers are some of the eSports games that take themselves too seriously (Blizzard games) where they refuse to support 21:9 for "competitive" reasons and either you have to fall back to 16:9 or run 21:9 with part of the top and bottom of the viewport cut off.

Older games are a bit of a mixed bag. Many of them work ok, or can simply fall back to 16:9 and run like that. Some need you to edit a config file for that to work. It's pretty rare to find a game that simply won't work, but the older you get the more likely it is to need you to revert to 16:9.

4k@32" is fine, but obviously you're running a considerably higher resolution, so you'll need more GPU horsepower to push that. Otherwise it's a reasonable alternative to ultrawides if you can find one that hits the requirements you want. Specifically high-Hz 4k monitors need HDMI 2.1 to work "properly" and are only just starting to come out.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I replaced one of my old 24' 1080p monitors with a 27' 1440p monitor and it is so beautiful that it makes my old monitor look like dog poo poo. I was looking into why the scaling is so bad but it looks like that is just Windows. This is both amazing and incredibly annoying.
How do you all deal with Windows scaling? Use it and disable it for games and such?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

zeldadude posted:

I'm trying to decide if I want to go with a 24" or a 27" currently.. I'm thinking 27" might be a little too big for my desk.

Are the colors on TN panels really as bad as some of these reviews are saying? I've always had IPS monitors so I'm not sure if they're exaggerating, or maybe they're just dumb?
Thanks again :)

I had a Dell S2716DG that I really liked, that's a TN monitor, but it's a really high-end TN monitor. People have told me that every other model from the S2716DG/S2417DG is obvious trash compared to IPS.

I dunno 100% about that, like the Acer 1440p XG270HU/etc probably should use the same panels, but maybe QC isn't as good / etc.

I have a pair of TNs at work, a Dell S2211h or some poo poo like that, it works OK I guess but I never cared about colors on my IDE that much, and it's still Dell which is above average (the rest of Dell, mostly meh, but their monitors :swoon:). I guess if you put it side by side with a high-end IPS it probably wouldn't look great but it's fine for what it does/costs. But that's Dell.

There are certain 1080p monitors that are actually 6-bit+FRC, some of the early 144 Hz TN monitors use that and that looks absolutely terrible, 6 bits just looks like poo poo compared to 8b or 8+FRC, those monitors are visibly worse than the later generations with 8bit You can usually find this info on DisplaySpecifications.com. Definitely would avoid 6-bit monitors.

Having the 27" 1440p is really nice for productivity, it is a ton of working space. It is also unfortunately the buy-in for being able to check both the 144 Hz and IPS boxes, pretty much (apart from a very few niche and expensive gaming 1080p IPS panels).

There is the S2417DG as well if the space is a concern, it is 24" 1440p TN 144 Hz, but it also is high enough DPI that you will need some windows UI scaling. But it gives the "retina" effect of a super-hi dpi screen, and has good color.

1440p is also much harder to drive in "modern" titles, so you are committing yourself to more spend there on your GPU. But 1440p isn't terrible if you can say snag a 3070 FE at MSRP from Best Buy, or a 1080 Ti/2070S or something at a bit lesser settings.

Some games let you run "resolution scaling" so the game itself runs at 1080p but the UI runs at 1440p / etc to help with the worst of the resolution artifacting. It's obviously not as good as native res but it also isn't terrible, and of course a lot of casual stuff will run at 1440p on a potato anyway. Not every game has it though. There is now a sharpening filter built into the NVIDIA driver fwiw that may be able to blunt some of the unsharpness there, haven't tried it personally.

Peachfart posted:

I replaced one of my old 24' 1080p monitors with a 27' 1440p monitor and it is so beautiful that it makes my old monitor look like dog poo poo. I was looking into why the scaling is so bad but it looks like that is just Windows. This is both amazing and incredibly annoying.
How do you all deal with Windows scaling? Use it and disable it for games and such?

The 27" 1440p panels (especially IPS) are so far ahead of the 1080p panels though. They just are, the tech that is in those 1440p panels is a different and better tech, it's AHVA or PLS vs "plain IPS". They are all technically all IPS technologies but Samsung owns the trademark to "IPS" so they have to brand it different, but the AHVA and PLS panels are way way ahead of the plain IPS you get at 1080p. But even 1080p "plain IPS" is a lot better than 1080p TN.

The mass-market 24" 1080p tech is optimized for cost, basically nobody in that market cares about super amazing new display panels that have colors that look way better, they want it 10 dollars cheaper.

There exist a few new AHVA 240 Hz IPS types that are like 1080p/25" though, they're like $500, a new and fairly niche product and priced as such.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 13, 2021

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1349107479490269187?s=20
:sickos:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Peachfart posted:

No scaling on a 27" 1440p monitors IMO.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I just want a 1440p HDMI 2.1 IPS monitor that accepts 4K input, man. :smith:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

ufarn posted:

I just want a 1440p HDMI 2.1 IPS monitor that accepts 4K input, man. :smith:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Let me just snap my VESA mount with a 32" monitor like Bane did Batman's back.

4K is also too much, if nothing else because of the inevitable price tag that they hilariously seem to omit.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I don't know how much of this thread is aware of Fancy Zones, a windows powertoy made by Microsoft for customizing your snap zones in windows. But I just took 5 minutes to set it up on my work computer and it's already making my life easier with a 34" monitor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXAu2-nA8PE
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

I feel like "don't expect anything under $899" might be an understatement, I'd expect a 32" 4K144 to be fairly expensive?

$899 would be a bargain for that imo. Like I would have guessed mid 1000s. The "gamer monitor" market is pretty bad at the high end, everything above 27" 1440p gets exponentially more expensive :(

ufarn
May 30, 2009
High-end 1440p Alienware with native G-Sync retails at $1,100, so yeah.

I wonder how much of a premium HDMI 2.1 is, especially if it comes with extra testing/QC.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Can't wait to find out what crippling and awful flaws it has!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

ufarn posted:

High-end 1440p Alienware with native G-Sync retails at $1,100, so yeah.

I wonder how much of a premium HDMI 2.1 is, especially if it comes with extra testing/QC.

Considering that the hardware for HDMI 2.1 should be a lot more widely implemented, and implemented in a proper ASIC and not a loving FPGA, the whole module should be considerably cheaper than "real" GSync. I still wouldn't expect it to be cheap, but $800-$1000 seems reasonable for what it is, given the current market.

I still want it in OLED, drat it! I don't care about burn-in potential, just gimme and I'll loving replace it in 4 years if I need to. LET ME GIVE YOU MY MONEY, GUYS.

K8.0 posted:

Can't wait to find out what crippling and awful flaws it has!

I'm waiting to find out that, since it's only GSync Compatible, GSync turns off if run at >60Hz or something equally stupid.