Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Rutibex posted:

if we made the kids cook the school meals in addition to having better cheaper food, they would also learn how to cook

in elementary school (mid-90’s) we would ‘work’ in the kitchen. every kid did it for like 30 minutes a day for a week out of the year. my memory is hazy on it. all I remember taking grey hamburger patties out of a grease/water mixture and putting them on buns. i thought it was super gross at the time

my mom made me a lunch every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

crepeface posted:

man those lunch photo (uk and us) are psychosis inducing

i don't think we have free school lunches here, you bring something from home or buy from the cafeteria and i'm suddenly extremely glad.

Oh no these school lunches aren't free, you have to pay money for this trash. The free lunch is generally even more embarrassingly inadequate, depending on your specific district.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

It's a single-use disposable styrofoam tray

welp then uhh i got nothin

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh no these school lunches aren't free, you have to pay money for this trash. The free lunch is generally even more embarrassingly inadequate, depending on your specific district.

also if you go into lunch debt you will be disciplined is someone tries to pay it off for you that isnt your guardian

Griz
May 21, 2001

Crazycryodude posted:

some districts have so many kids who qualify for free lunch that they just said gently caress it and put the entire student body on free lunch instead of the usual routine of making poor people jump through hoops to get a few scraps

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Griz posted:

some districts have so many kids who qualify for free lunch that they just said gently caress it and put the entire student body on free lunch instead of the usual routine of making poor people jump through hoops to get a few scraps

richest country in the world!

:shepface:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Moreover, this year only 3.2% of donations, and 2.7% of all dollars donated, said "greetings from Germany." This is a sizeable drop from years past, for example the famous 2017 GDQ in which a full 4.8% of dollars donated came with a dono message using the phrase. Is this trend evidence of EU weakness, and even within the EU a shift away from Germany's export-driven economy towards the southern periphery? Only time will tell.

This is funny but it's making the opposite argument that it's trying to parody. I was pointing out, here's an event that basically did not change in size even in this economy. The event reflects how safe a bunch of semi-random individuals feel to give up money to charity. Despite widespread unemployment and evictions, it hasn't hit this population hard yet, clearly.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

the fucken concept of school lunch debt is disgusting

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Grace Baiting posted:

no such thing as a free lunch bro. stack that paper

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Grace Baiting posted:

Smythe posted:

no such thing as a free lunch bro. stack that paper

:patriot:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Chakan posted:

Your school just didn't have a lunch program, is that common outside the US maybe? My district every school has two lunch (and usually breakfast) types where you can pay a couple dollars to get a square pizza with some crinkle fries and a milk, or if your family qualifies then you're part of the "free and reduced lunch" group that gets a worse lunch for free, or close to it.

yeah I asked a bunch of my friends, pretty sure it's not a thing in Australia.

and lol yeah I probably should have said "free" lunch

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
the worst thing I remember about the kids who got free lunch is that they actually had to go into a separate line to "pay," so everyone knew

America is hosed up beyond redemption

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

My wife growing up didn't qualify for free lunch, but did qualify for "discounted" lunch. Sad thing is due to medical bills her family had to pay after her dad was in an 18 wheeler accident, she had to split her lunch with her friend who also had a similar issue. They were not poor enough for free lunch, but not well off enough to pay for a normal lunch.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
my kid is deathly allergic to dairy and eggs, which I hope she eventually kicks, but goddamn I can't imagine what she'd get for "free" lunch under these circumstances

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
As a parent who has put three kids through school, two of them starting from elementary, I was surprised to learn just how bad USA public school lunches have become since the early 2000s. Even though for their first several years of raising my step children we were poor, I made drat sure they had healthy food they brought to school themselves. School food is complete garbage these days.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

DoomTrainPhD posted:

As a parent who has put three kids through school, two of them starting from elementary, I was surprised to learn just how bad USA public school lunches have become since the early 2000s. Even though for their first several years of raising my step children we were poor, I made drat sure they had healthy food they brought to school themselves. School food is complete garbage these days.

the service companies that have been contracted to provide the food don't leave any money on the table and since the children have no choice, why give them edible food at all? also, the general public really hates teachers, schools, and children.

Col.Schultz
May 14, 2010

Till we come to some beginning within our own power...

crepeface posted:

yeah I asked a bunch of my friends, pretty sure it's not a thing in Australia.

and lol yeah I probably should have said "free" lunch

Can confirm, not something that happens in Australia. Outside of like the Boarding houses at super fancy private schools where you will get lunch and dinner (but your monocle wearing parents are picking up the tab for it).

There are state funded 'Breakfast Clubs' to make sure that kids from disadvantaged backgrounds get a feed in the morning. Which according to my mum who teaches at a school with one of them, do not appear to be as inadequate/humiliating as the free meals being linked here. But hey, with the way our government is attacking the welfare state, we're probably right behind you all!

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Some US public schools in rich districts don't offer school lunch at all because then they'd have to offer free or reduced lunch. This keeps only the right kids in the school.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

the worst thing I remember about the kids who got free lunch is that they actually had to go into a separate line to "pay," so everyone knew

America is hosed up beyond redemption

demon cracker nation for sure

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Soiled Meat

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Moreover, this year only 3.2% of donations, and 2.7% of all dollars donated, said "greetings from Germany." This is a sizeable drop from years past, for example the famous 2017 GDQ in which a full 4.8% of dollars donated came with a dono message using the phrase. Is this trend evidence of EU weakness, and even within the EU a shift away from Germany's export-driven economy towards the southern periphery? Only time will tell.

Using a shift of 0.001% in the revenue of an event literally nobody cares about except 100 weirdos to predict the death of the European Union

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Air fryers are the best.

It's a convection oven. You're baking, not frying.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
not using an air frier is the same as using the microwave

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Financial Times: Labour signals end of Corbyn era in setting out economic vision

quote:

Shadow chancellor Anneliese Dodds will signal on Wednesday that the Labour party is backing away from the hard-left economic policies of former leader Jeremy Corbyn, seeking instead to fight the Conservatives on economic competence and protecting the UK’s recovery from the damage caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.

In the annual Mais Lecture, she will cloak Labour’s strategy to become the UK’s next government in the latest thinking from international organisations such as the IMF, which recommends waiting until unemployment falls and the recovery is complete before thinking about the sustainability of public finances.

As the first woman to deliver the flagship economics lecture in its 43-year history, Ms Dodds will mention “responsible” policies 23 times and will distance Labour from its 2019 general election programme by avoiding any reference to any of the £83bn day-to-day annual public spending increases that formed the centrepiece of its manifesto.

“We need a more resilient economy that can only be achieved through responsible economic, fiscal and monetary policy,” she will say.

Asked why her setpiece economic speech would not mention plans to increase current public spending financed by higher taxes — the centrepiece of the party’s programme under Mr Corbyn — Ms Dodds told the FT in a pre-speech interview that the party would examine detailed taxation and spending policies in the normal way over the coming years.

“The speech is 45 minutes long and attempting to set out the relationship between monetary, fiscal and other forms of economic policy in the long term, so it doesn’t have the kitchen sink in there,” Ms Dodds said.

Since taking charge of Labour last April, Keir Starmer has helped steer Britain’s opposition party back to a more stable footing following its heavy defeat at the 2019 general election.

But he has been accused more recently of being opportunistic during the Covid-19 crisis. The speech by Ms Dodds, and one by the leader himself on Monday, are part of a plan to start setting out the opposition’s positions on the most important aspects of government.

With distance being put between Sir Keir’s economic strategy and his predecessor’s, the new leadership want to fight the Conservatives on the overall strategy of economic policy rather than tax and spend.

In recent months, first the IMF and more recently the OECD have advised advanced economies such as the UK to refrain from taking action to reduce the public deficit until the recovery from the Covid-19 crisis is close to being complete and central banks again have to raise interest rates from zero to prevent inflation from rising.

Laurence Boone, the OECD’s chief economist, this month said countries should not start “tightening” fiscal policy by raising taxes or cutting public spending “in the one to two years following the trough of GDP”. This message now lies at the heart of Labour’s new economic strategy.

In the months ahead, that would mean continuing to spend more than the Tories, Ms Dodds said, not insisting on the 5 per cent rise in council taxes that the government is expecting in April and not cutting the rate of universal credit.

With fiscal policy taking more of the strain in helping the economy to recover quickly from the Covid-19 pandemic, she wants monetary policy to play a lesser role in the future.

In her speech, Ms Dodds will argue that if monetary policy did all the work, as it did during the austerity decade after 2010, then it would “exacerbate inequality and concentrate economic gains in the hands of those who were already asset-rich, at the expense of those who rely on income from their labour”.

This stance implies borrowing and debt would be higher under Labour and would allow the Conservatives to say that the party is soft on tackling weaker public finances. But Ms Dodds told the FT that the sustainability of the public finances should not be measured on an annual or five-year basis, but over a considerably longer period.

Calling for a “responsible fiscal framework” based on “pragmatism, not dogmatism”, she will commit Labour to a rolling target of balancing the government’s current budget in the future, which would allow increased capital spending.

There would also be an exception to the rule for times of crisis, which would allow for a delay in budgetary consolidation while the Covid-19 recovery was continuing, but Labour is planning two defences against inevitable Tory jibes about fiscal recklessness.

The first is an idea from the Institute for Fiscal Studies that would set a “fiscal anchor”, stopping a free-for-all in public spending increases. The second is that Labour is determined to attack what it regards as Conservative waste in public spending during the crisis and put in place safeguards to prevent a repeat under a Labour government.

It plans to give the National Audit Office a mandate to report to parliament each year on the effectiveness of government spending with ministers required to respond at each Budget.

“It’s not acceptable that we’ve had so many NAO reports that have highlighted problems [in government waste] and yet we still see a recurrence in those issues time after time,” Ms Dodds said. “We need to have much more political accountability around those processes for the future.”

love that motherfuckin FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Labour are such loving garbage.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Fame Douglas posted:

It's a convection oven. You're baking, not frying.

:wrong:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

love that motherfuckin FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY

I have no idea where the UK is going to go at this point with austerity measures and no serious new revenue; the NHS is on the verge of unraveling, Britain's safety net was shredded, and the country desperately needs more infrastructure spending beyond megaprojects. It isn't even an issue of "far-left policy" but basic Keynesianism.

I wonder at this point where is the daylight between them and Boris is considering that Brexit is done.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Lol at the UK. You're getting austerity and American-style healthcare.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ardennes posted:

I have no idea where the UK is going to go at this point with austerity measures and no serious new revenue; the NHS is on the verge of unraveling, Britain's safety net was shredded, and the country desperately needs more infrastructure spending beyond megaprojects. It isn't even an issue of "far-left policy" but basic Keynesianism.

I wonder at this point where is the daylight between them and Boris is considering that Brexit is done.

It's really just the continuation of 40+ years of economic policy, of rolling back the state, selling off everything to private business, & further increasing the already large gap between rich & poor. We're speedrunning the 20th century in reverse to get back to the 19th century with Work Houses for the poor & child labour & all those good things that made Britain strong.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
The responsible thing is too privatize everything. Free markets baby.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

It's been fun listening to the Radio War Nerd series on the 93 Russian coup and the shock therapy economic plans

And by fun I obviously mean horribly depressing

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

forkboy84 posted:

It's really just the continuation of 40+ years of economic policy, of rolling back the state, selling off everything to private business, & further increasing the already large gap between rich & poor. We're speedrunning the 20th century in reverse to get back to the 19th century with Work Houses for the poor & child labour & all those good things that made Britain strong.

It is but also it is clear strategic mistake that is only going to cost the UK more in the long-run. For example, the NHS if anything is (was...) a net benefit to the British economy just by keeping labor costs down. How is the British economy going to be more competitive post-Brexit with higher health care costs and even worse austerity measures? (it isn't.) The irony is Boris may end the "left-wing" candidate despite the damage he has done.

I mean it is all standard stuff but even compared to the US (and that is saying something), it is pretty much just wrecking at this point.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
in 5 years britain is going to be greece

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
lots of money to be made in wrecking

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Grace Baiting posted:

when i was a kid, my parents would sometimes forget to give me lunch money or write me a $25 check (you see, the school i went to had lunch accounts, so that you weren’t overdrawn on food) so when they did that or if i ran out of money in my account and i wasn’t aware of it (being 9 years old), they’d just give you a slice of american cheese on two pieces of white bread and a carton of milk and that’s your meal

a normal way to grow up that i doubt has given me any complexes about food, i’m sure

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mila kunis posted:

lots of money to be made in wrecking

If there is anything left to wreck, but it is impressive in its own way. Scotland needs to palm slam the eject button.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Maybe don’t be poor.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
bing bong

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lol what are you loving stupid UK? i assume corona has hosed their economy as much as america.

going full ghoul-mode and turning on the austerity right now is a recipe for violent mobs

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Rutibex posted:

lol what are you loving stupid UK? i assume corona has hosed their economy as much as america.

going full ghoul-mode and turning on the austerity right now is a recipe for violent mobs

the country is full of people that are sick in the head, they like this stuff and keep voting for it, and the one time they were offered something different they voted against corbyn in a landslide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

lol what are you loving stupid UK?

ummmmmmmmmm