Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i too hope to one day be that guy who walks into an architecture design meeting saying "whatever, we'll just build an autovectorizing compiler for it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Drastic Actions posted:

worked on porting Something Awful forum reader app, written in C#/.NET with Xamarin.Forms (one that currently runs on iOS, Android, and Windows/UWP), to Tizen. just to see if I could.

it took four to five hours for me to:

- set up the SDK
- fight the SDK to get it to recognize OpenJDK
- fight Windows to turn off Hyper-V, since the Tizen emulator demands HAXM.
- fight the SDK programs to run in High-DPI mode.
- set up the deployment environment to run in Visual Studio.
- set up the Tizen bootstrap Forms project.
- finally get my app deployed, only to see that Tizen.NET demands very specific versions of sqlite, and anything too old or too new will kill the app. not throw an exception, just flat out quit when loading the DLLs.
- fix that, notice that all web requests throw a single string error "resource temporarily unavailable"
- try seeing if the emulator can access the internet, turns out the emulator doesn't bundle a browser or anything simple like that to see.
- search online, find out that all Tizen apps require privileges in their config.xml to allow internet access, and their default templates don't add that.
- add that privilege string, finally can log in.
- then notice that all web requests throw about 50% of the time. but the debugger doesn't capture the exception, it just silently dies.
- in that, that goes for just about everything with the debugger. put a breakpoint, it'll probably die. step through code? yep, debugger will break. why? who the gently caress knows.

tizen sucks poo poo.

is that dailywtf article still accurate?

https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/15001/enlightened

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i've seen people post about radio poo poo in this thread before. any recommendations for a book about it, with an emphasis on SDR? i've got a mathy background so lots of math is ok by me.

i got a little DVB-T type dongle/SDR for christmas and i'm going to gently caress around with it and see what kind of signals i can catch on my 3rd floor apartment. i've got the dongle plus a dipole antenna with long/short extendable antennas. i think it's more of a "toy" but i've got some software on my mac and i'm going to see how far i can get with this thing.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
gently caress it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953692

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
new project: make my yardbarn pleasant for doing electrical hobby poo poo in (when I"m done doing EXACTLY the same poo poo at work)

Step 1: Get leaky roof fixed (could do self, but lazy). (DONE)

Step 2: Move electrical switch to be on the correct side of the double doors, so it's actually accessible when you open the door that isn't locked from the inside. (DONE)

Step 3: Use LED strip Scrap from work to redo general lighting. (DONE)

Step 4: Program / install Arduino/DMX controller (IN PROGRESS) and Montion sensor for lights to come on low level on entering, provide control for general lighting (IN PROGRESS)

Step 6: Clean more poo poo up, get more shelves for the christmas/halloween/long term storage bullshit

Step 7: Install Task lighting to spaces, hook into controller

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Sagebrush posted:

the green coating on the board is called solder mask and will tend to reject solder, so as long as you don't add a ton of extra so that it spills over onto the next pad you should be fine. those look like relatively large pads and traces so it's not that challenging.

the problem is that i bet the pad underneath that loose connection has lifted off the board, which means you can't just reflow it. instead you should run a wire from the loose pin to the next solid one, as shown:

cut a little piece of insulated wire, solder it to one pin and then the other, make sure you're not shorting anything else, and you should be good to go. if the pad is still wobbling up and down, tack it in place with a blob of hot glue.

I finally got around to buying a soldering iron, two and a half years later. I still don't know what I'm doing, really. I think what I tried to do was just "reflow" the solder. I got my iron hot and touched it to the big blob, which melted it some but I am not sure if it all melted. I did get it so it looks like the solder actually "connects" again between the two points that the quoted post here says I should run a wire between. I did not run a wire

I then put the board back in the case and reassembled the unit (it's a keyboard/synthesizer). I plugged the DC adapter in, no dice. I then tried wiggling the power cord, and this works to turn it on if you get it angled "just right". My memory might not be perfect, but I am pretty sure that I have marginally improved upon how well it works: the last time I monkeyed with it, it was getting harder and harder to find the "just right" position of the cord/jack to get it to turn on, but now it is not very hard to do so.

I think the next step is to try and run a wire like it says here. What kind of wire do I need?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

You can check the connection between the two points with a cheap multimeter so see how your soldering went. If it’s a couple ohms and that connection is solid you don’t need to get some wire, but any wire should do. Those are power traces so choose something thicker. You can find ampacity tables or different sized wire online, see what your power brick is rated at and use that size or thicker.

If it’s a barrel jack the little tab that makes contact with the outside of the plug often gets bent, try bending it back with a little screw driver so the connection is solid.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I think the next step is to try and run a wire like it says here. What kind of wire do I need?

Anything copper (and not too large) would work. I'd just take a piece of a single conductor from a telephone/ethernet cable about a quarter inch long with all the insulation stripped off and melt all the solder around it so it bridges that gap. You can cut a longer piece so it's easy to hold while you solder then clip it off when you're done after the solder has frozen solid again. You can also scrape the solder mask off of the board revealing more copper you can solder to. If you don't have any scrap CAT6 or whatever you can just buy some solid hookup wire. Maybe about 24ga or 26ga.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

upgraded my home server lol

saw that 2TB Seagate drives were on sale and picked up a bunch for my storage array. Also got 32GB of RAM coming woo

up to 64GB of RAM and 6x2TB hard disks on my Proliant. got esxi installed, running OpenBSD and set up a basic Windows Server 2019 VM too

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1349152211159420930

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

thanks intel for all the spectre/meltdown nonsense enabling IT workers to dumpster dive for incredibly high spec "outdated" hardware

although it's a big ouch on the power bill

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Writing a 6502 macro assembler in Rust, because why not? Peak HackerNews!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
someone told me rust was just BASIC but also object oriented

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
it is possible that person had been drinking

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

someone told me that rust is just go reimplemented by embittered haskell programmers

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

i heard that rust was 12 feet tall

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

syntaxrigger posted:

i heard that rust was 12 feet tall

and smells like oven baked dog poo poo

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
someone told me rust was two hot dogs laid end to end and stuck together with tape

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Sagacity posted:

Writing a 6502 macro assembler in Rust, because why not? Peak HackerNews!

what is the point of using a monospace font if you're going to use multiple fonts and gently caress up the spacing

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

help my ide can't load normal.dotm

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Zamujasa posted:

what is the point of using a monospace font if you're going to use multiple fonts and gently caress up the spacing
idk ask jetbrains

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

decided to write a thing to strip the advertisements that opensubtitles.org inject into the SRT files you download from their website, doing it in PS because i'm lazy, made a thing to parse SRT files and return an object good times

code:
#Requires -Version 7.1

[CmdletBinding()]
Param(
    [Parameter(Mandatory=$true,ValueFromPipeline=$true)]
    [ValidateScript({ Test-Path -Path $_ -PathType Leaf })]
    [String]$Path
)

[System.Collections.ArrayList]$Content = (Get-Content -Path $Path | Out-String).Trim().Split("`r`n`r`n")

if (!$Content) {
    throw "Insufficient content found in input file [$Path]!"
}

[System.Collections.ArrayList]$ReturnCollecton = @()

foreach ($Sub in $Content) {
    $SubContent = $Sub.Split("`r`n")

# Each sub requires an ID, time code and text
    if ($SubContent.Count -lt 3) {
        Write-Error -Message "Subtitle element is malformed: $Sub"
        continue
    }

$SubTimeCode = $SubContent[1].Split(' --> ')

# Time code requires start and finish time
    if ($SubTimeCode.Count -lt 2) {
        Write-Error -Message "Subtitle time code is malformed: $Sub"
        continue
    }

$SubObject = New-Object -TypeName 'System.Object'

$SubObject | Add-Member -NotePropertyName 'Id' -NotePropertyValue $SubContent[0]
    $SubObject | Add-Member -NotePropertyName 'Start' -NotePropertyValue $SubTimeCode[0]
    $SubObject | Add-Member -NotePropertyName 'End' -NotePropertyValue $SubTimeCode[1]
    $SubObject | Add-Member -NotePropertyName 'Text' -NotePropertyValue ($SubContent | Select-Object -Skip 2 | Out-String).Trim("`r`n")

$ReturnCollecton.Add($SubObject) | Out-Null
}

if (!$ReturnCollecton) {
    throw "No subtitle elements successfully parsed in input file [$Path]!"
}

return $ReturnCollecton

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
sounds like a pain in the .rear end

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Love that Digi-Key packaging solution

Also unironically love these hirose connectors but drat they're expensive. $17 for those two

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Digi key perforated crinkle paper is perfect stuff for cats, mine love it.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Sagebrush posted:

Love that Digi-Key packaging solution

love getting one 8-pin dip in an 80cm long box because they can't use anything smaller than a full size ic tube

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

i once ordered a 1x6mm steel bar and it arrived in a box the size of a full size PC tower lol

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
I had a idiot idea of stuffing a 27" imac into a space invaders cocktail table.

I've got all the parts ordered to put 4 or 6 button sanwa sticks on the ends in new panel blanks.

It's going to end up a bit retro modded, but I'm keeping it tasteful and not doing much that can't be reverted back later.

I feel a little bit bad about gutting it and not restoring it, but I've owned a Space Invaders part 2 that worked and it's only fun for like 15 minutes once a year.

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
Does anybody have any experience with patents, or is there a thread somewhere that might have some info? I made a plastic gizmo that I've found useful in my job that I don't think exists on the market, and an idiots search for prior art can't find anything, and I'm trying to weigh if it's worth getting a patent law peep to start the ball rolling. I have no idea the costs/headache involved. In all likelihood this would be more for vanity than any sort of $$$ but also maybe I can sell the patent to uhh someone?? how does this all work?

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
so I've worked on a patent before, for an employer, with a patent attorney. the process was basically preparing a write-up, something approximately like the first half of a scientific paper (there's no need to prove it actually works or anything, and measurements, evaluations, etc get to remain secret). the attorney took this, used it to perform their own literature search, highlighted the way the technique I was proposing differed from the state of the art, translated my document into legalese, misunderstood a few key parts, and we iterated until the application made sense to me, then it was submitted. since this was at the behest/with the support of my employer I have no idea what this cost, so if you're looking to do this on the cheap I'm afraid I won't be much help. the impression I get though is that it's very hard to write a defensible patent without the services of a good patent attorney (think of preparing your own patent application as more defending-yourself-in-court, less doing-your-own-taxes) since they're the target audience for this kind of document and they know how to dodge all of the tricks that get patents invalidated in court. they'll also somehow turn your diagrams into ones that look like they were hand drawn in the 1890s.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
My one-sentence reply version: If you don't have a monetization plan (like, plans for selling / licensing) or see that happening as a key part of your doodad, then the time and expense of patenting is probably not worth it.

It's going to be well over ten thousand easy by the end, for a simple doodad, and it'll be a long process. I went through the process for a simple plastic doodad. You can do the application yourself, but a shittily written patent (I repeat myself) will not be hard to get around which means not "worth" much.

I mean, look at it this way. If you imagine that you'll want to sell rights to your thingie (or even sell your thingie's company as a whole) then if you don't have a patent then what exactly do you have to sell? What is it a buyer would be buying? If you don't have a patent, then the answer is "probably nothing besides some prototypes and drawings or something, maybe some manufacturing how-to?"

If you really, really are onto something then start the patent application process (you don't need to cough up a whole load of cash at once, you will pay as you go) which lets you write "PATENT PENDING" and then use that to move forward with things. Don't wait for the patent to be done, no one does. You can abandon the application or revise all you want later. If it doesn't go anywhere, pull the plug and the cost of pursuing the patent so far is just another expense spent on developing an idea that didn't work out.

Hey fun fact: if you have shown the thingie to anyone without them signing an NDA (anyone at all) even accidentally -- like maybe you left it in the back seat of your car while you went to get the mail and someone walking by COULD have seen it through the window -- then you have technically disclosed it and it cannot be patented! hilarous :razz:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Someone who works with US patents once told me that it's not what you can patent, it's what you can defend in court profitably, and that's a pretty damning/accurate view of the system.

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
ok so related but possibly dumber question; where tf do I even start if I want to shop the idea around to somebody? I probably need a provisional patent before I start that process, yeah? Feels a little chicken and egg. Can I just cold-call companies?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Low-Pass Filter posted:

ok so related but possibly dumber question; where tf do I even start if I want to shop the idea around to somebody? I probably need a provisional patent before I start that process, yeah? Feels a little chicken and egg. Can I just cold-call companies?

there is always some risk to this, but the advice i have consistently gotten is that if you have ideas good enough to steal it is usually still almost always very much to your advantage to shop them around. your idea is more likely to fail from no one every pursuing them than it is that it'll get stolen away from you and find success.

you may want to make things as official as possible though, starting a company to pursue it etc.

depending a bit on the nature of the thing of course.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 1, 2021

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
I don't know about your industry specifically but I think it may be difficult to make inroads just by cold calling people if your goal is to get them to buy your idea and develop it. That's a tough sell to people whose R&D pipelines are already full and they probably won't even want to hear your idea just in case they were already developing something similar. If you think it would be worth your time, it might be better to found an LLC and look for a few investors, maybe even do a crowd funding campaign to cover the initial development costs, including the patent process.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Unless your cold sales pitch is "I'm low-pass and I developed this thing, I sell X number of them since Y and can't meet demand. The things holding me back are the things your company knows how to do/make." If you're not saying some variation of that then well I guess with god all things are possible.

If your cold call -- figuratively speaking -- is that you have an idea for the next Facebook killer, and just need someone to program it (in exchange for a percentage of the profits) then frankly not even god is going to get you anywhere.

I say all this with love btw. The scene is just not built that way.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 1, 2021

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Low-Pass Filter posted:

Does anybody have any experience with patents, or is there a thread somewhere that might have some info? I made a plastic gizmo that I've found useful in my job that I don't think exists on the market, and an idiots search for prior art can't find anything, and I'm trying to weigh if it's worth getting a patent law peep to start the ball rolling. I have no idea the costs/headache involved. In all likelihood this would be more for vanity than any sort of $$$ but also maybe I can sell the patent to uhh someone?? how does this all work?

one thing you can do to help clarify what you should do is go at it from a different angle:

1. how much does gizmo cost to make?
2. how valuable is it to the people it helps?
3. how many of them can possibly be sold?
4. how much of a patent licensing fee bite do you think you can take out of the difference between #1 and #2?
5. is #3 * #4 enough to make it all seem worthwhile?

(obvs you could just sell the patent for a lump sum if it's really valuable, so as to avoid the costs and hassle of enforcing your patent, but these fundamentals determine whether someone's gonna be willing to pay a lump sum to buy it off you)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have a couple of ideas that might be patentable but i'm terrified of the idea of going out on my own to build my thing and having some well-monied troll take notice and sue the poo poo out of me because i dared come up with an idea that is tangentially related to something in his patent portfolio.

like if the process was just okay, the judge has determined that you do/do not have this patent any more then whatever, but knowing that as the little guy it would likely come down to "pay me $50,000 right now or we can gradually bankrupt you over the next decade," i just hate it

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007

BobHoward posted:

one thing you can do to help clarify what you should do is go at it from a different angle:

1. how much does gizmo cost to make?
2. how valuable is it to the people it helps?
3. how many of them can possibly be sold?
4. how much of a patent licensing fee bite do you think you can take out of the difference between #1 and #2?
5. is #3 * #4 enough to make it all seem worthwhile?

(obvs you could just sell the patent for a lump sum if it's really valuable, so as to avoid the costs and hassle of enforcing your patent, but these fundamentals determine whether someone's gonna be willing to pay a lump sum to buy it off you)

EXTREMELY BEST GUESS answers incoming:

1) It's essentially a plastic gizmo, maybe with a few screws. So probably without knowing much about injection molding, I'd say $1.50 + mold costs? It's something you can hold in one hand, for scale.
2) Pulling numbers out of my rear end; could probably sell for $15-20
3) It's not like super niche, but is in the electronics making/manufacturing/hobby world, so it's not like super broad appeal. How do you forecast this stuff? uhhhh 500-1,000 per year? maybe??
4) How much does it cost for a provisional patent? Isn't that considerably easier than a full patent? Idk I think it might be fun even for the vanity if I could get a provisional for 2-3k
5) Yes? No? lol

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I have a couple of ideas that might be patentable but i'm terrified of the idea of going out on my own to build my thing and having some well-monied troll take notice and sue the poo poo out of me because i dared come up with an idea that is tangentially related to something in his patent portfolio.

like if the process was just okay, the judge has determined that you do/do not have this patent any more then whatever, but knowing that as the little guy it would likely come down to "pay me $50,000 right now or we can gradually bankrupt you over the next decade," i just hate it

Isn't this why you have a LLC as the holding company for the patent? That was my plan at least, worst they could do is sue my tiny lovely LLC out of existence, and if it's somehow making money, I would have been paying myself a salary that they couldn't recoup? I'm in Florida and it's ~$100 a year to keep an LLC registered, so thats totally reasonable.

I agree it's all terrifying though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

if you’re serious about this call around to some patent attorneys in your area code and see who will give you the best deal on a one hour consultation, that will probably answer a lot of your questions and won’t cost much. may even be free but most of the free 30 minute consultation guys are stuff like family or estate law.