Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Deus Ex was good, no argument, it's just the quickhacks and time dilation that make things different.

edit: And yeah, the game has issues. A ton of poo poo is broken and a ton of poo poo that isn't broken is blatantly unbalanced. If you want to shoot through walls and hack an entire base from your car on the sidewalk, you can, and it's easy. It's good that they included ways to do things the clever way, but it's bad that the enemies really aren't able to deal with it, so the clever way ends up just being godmode.

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I enjoy this game too, but like again come on lol. Its good that you enjoy the game! Nothing wrong with that, but also lets be completely real about the many issues this game has too you know.

Who says the game has no issues though? People seem determined to rail against a FANBOY CIRCLE JERK that doesn't even exist here.

And I dig the Deus Ex games but their action gameplay is drastically worse, their stealth is basically exactly as shallow but you get more man sized air vents I guess, and their hacking is basically 'wave hand at camera" level of engaging.

Also you can't drive a motorcycle around in them so minus 1000 points for that.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Vagabundo posted:

Oh cool, one person saying that is representative of everyone's opinion.

I did the bolding

TorakFade posted:

I'm loving the game and I'm already thinking of a second playthrough, but I'm going to wait for the patch for sure. I think the immersiveness helps my enjoyment a lot, I just love to walk around aimlessly, spotting the differences between the various neighborhoods, climbing buildings for fun and so on. I'd like more "action" immersion (i.e. being able to actually do some things in the world - but that's something no open world game has done decently imo except RDR2, and that's not perfect either) but this "artistic" immersion is good enough for me, I find the city interesting and enjoyable to walk around in while in GTA V it felt a lot more fake and empty.

I even enjoy driving! It reminds me more of Forza Horizon than GTA, and if I put any amount of attention into driving properly I can easily navigate the city, while still feeling "challenged" if I want to push my limits and tear at 140mph through a busy intersection. The only terrible thing is the non-zooming-out minimap, that's a crime and I really hope it's on the list for fixing in the first patch.

Yeah, of course you can see that the game is held togheter with duct tape (on PC there's plenty of bugs even if they're mostly not gamebreaking - had a grand total of 2 crashes and 5 reloads when some quest trigger bugged out in more than 100 hours) and someone pushed hard to release it when it clearly was not ready; but if the patches fix the most egregious bugs and problems, and some free DLC restores those parts of the game that I suspect were axed for lack of time and not of willingness/technical ability, there's a serious chance this will be my GOTY 2021

All in all, game good: one can enjoy it, and those who don't are of course entitled to it but should stop telling everyone that this is objectively a bad game because it's not. It is a good game to me already, and hopefully it will only get better.

Also Panam rules and her sidequest is the best in the entire game, no one will convince me otherwise :colbert:

sean10mm posted:

It clearly also hasn't left its drive-by shitposting stage.

I've been somewhat active here, c'mon now and I'm still engaging this is slander, sir

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So I figured out what was wrong with my poo poo last night.

I had systematically removed the small handful of mods I had installed before posting, but totally forgot that the AI booster thing was just an INI in a random directory. Removed that and boom, fine.

So I dug deeper. Apparently a part of why the AI is sluggish and stupid is that each actor only "pings" for you or other enemies every 10sec by default. This is why you can easily get the drop on them is you keep moving and run fast. One of the ways that mod makes the AI "smarter" is pinging your (and all other enemies') locations every second, so they can track you more aggressively.

So I was in The Pickup and handed over a cleaned credstick...

Yeah, it was the engine just making GBS threads with my CPU ramping to 100% immediately and then crapping out as the game kept calling more commands than it could keep up with since there were like 25+ NPCs on either side of a huge battle, all pinging each other constantly. :shepface:

So yeah, if you have that mod, get rid of it.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

drat, I'm sorry for enjoying a videogame :(

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

TorakFade posted:

What were you thinking??

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

sean10mm posted:

Who says the game has no issues though? People seem determined to rail against a FANBOY CIRCLE JERK that doesn't even exist here.

And I dig the Deus Ex games but their action gameplay is drastically worse, their stealth is basically exactly as shallow but you get more man sized air vents I guess, and their hacking is basically 'wave hand at camera" level of engaging.

Also you can't drive a motorcycle around in them so minus 1000 points for that.

The actual combat and stealth gameplay in this game feels virtually copy pasted from dx:md to me. Which is absolutely fine. Its the dx:md sequel i never got.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

TorakFade posted:

have fun my dude i was just pointing out the hypeness of it and countering the "you have no evidence post" followed by "thats only one person" post.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The actual combat and stealth gameplay in this game feels virtually copy pasted from dx:md to me. Which is absolutely fine. Its the dx:md sequel i never got.

For me they are very similar if you mostly sneak/stealth takedown/pistol snipe, but IMO if you just go in guns blazing Cyberpunk feels way better.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

TorakFade posted:

how dare you. your punishment is to get to 20 in crafting without using any cheats or exploits

may god have mercy on your soul

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

There seem be two types of folks, those who think bugs and enjoying the game are on a Light/Dark scale like Kotor, and others who see it like Mass Effect.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

TheAgent posted:

how dare you. your punishment is to get to 20 in crafting without using any cheats or exploits

But think of the things you can make! :v:

And this game's crafting system makes Witcher 3 look like... I dunno, a good crafting system I've never actually seen in a game before because they're all dumb time wasters. That game had like 500 layers of trash materials just so you could only use it to make a new set of Witcher gear every 30 hours.

They should have an achievement in that game for "YOU ACTUALLY CRAFTED A HATCHET LOL? BUT WHY?"

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Woof yeah the busywork of gathering materials for a blacksmith to upgrade your witcher school set seems like a walk in the park by comparison.

All legendary items should scale to your level automatically, imo.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I bounced hard off of the modern DX but I enjoy the hell out of Cyberpunk. Jensen doesn't really have much depth as a character to me, and comes across as a gruff 'n tough save the world protagonist (same goes for Denton, tbh). I like (fem)V's vulnerability and tragedy and how the genre's ethos of "it isn't about saving the world, it's hard enough to save yourself" comes through that conduit. I know it isn't a strict gameplay mechanic comparison but even if DX is equivalent or slightly better in the gameplay department, the narrative and gameplay are so intertwined for me that that alone doesn't even come close to tipping scales for me.

Sachant fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 14, 2021

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

It's probably because the game is more based on the west coast than east coast but I would have preferred Night City to have a dirtier, NYC style vibe. But that's just preference

graveportents
Sep 12, 2019

strumpets vexed

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's probably because the game is more based on the west coast than east coast but I would have preferred Night City to have a dirtier, NYC style vibe. But that's just preference

LA is probably the dirtiest city I've ever been to tbh.

Deadreak
Jul 16, 2004

Я никому не хочу 

Flannelette posted:

It got me to (seriously) play Red Dead 2, two of my friends also ended up playing other games they found they enjoyed after being annoyed by Cyberpunk.
It's like the game is a real bad date you rebound off, reflect on games you may have been too harsh with and find your true self.

Ha! I went back and started to replay Witcher 3 and finally finishing books as well after being kind of disappointed by cyberpunk. Like someone else mentioned open world problems in that game are similar to cyberpunk, but it works with the story just fine. I think I just prefer setting of Witcher more so than cyberpunk, when it comes down to it (I am not huge fan of fantasy settings in general). It feels like CDRP put more love and passion into Witcher 3 somehow. I guess it can be bit unfair for cyberpunk, since there is so much more lore to Witcher, plus two previous games.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Is it bad that I have gotten use to the default driving, like, I just have a very light touch on the controls and use the handbrake a lot?

Then again, it really does change drastically per car, some of the big 6 wheel monsters drive like someone bought a battleship and decided to remove the rudder.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
May this thread never get over posting about posters stage. It's pretty much the only entertaining thing about it.

I can understand on some level when people say that the "game is good". Art assets, the world, music and all of that range from good to excellent and is integrated very well.

The systems that you use to interact the world with (you know, the game part) are ... not outright bad, I guess, but what I'd call approaching acceptable at most.

Despite the garbage UI, bad inventory system, stupid perks (with terrible UI), no minimap zooming + other quality of life stuff related to bad UI, unbalanced and incomprehensible item leveling/crafting system, leveled armored clothes, the Far Cry level of engagement with the open world that's supposedly in an RPG etc etc ...

... I still managed to enjoy the game because it realizes the artistic vision in such an excellent manner that it was very thrilling to see what the hell was going to happen and I was very immersed and emotionally invested in a lot of the characters. The shooting mechanics weren't outright bad either so the other half spent loot grinding wasn't horrible and mostly just bouncing around from plot point to plot point. Too bad it's so buggy and unfinished and needlessly tarnishes what could have been a masterpiece.

The openworld FPS adventure game underneath is shackled by a terribly realized RPG. I wish they had gone with much simpler inventory mechanics and added depth with better weapon customization or whatever

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

graveportents posted:

LA is probably the dirtiest city I've ever been to tbh.

I haven't been there in 16 years and yeah L.A. was gross in some spots. The nice weather probably disarmed me to it. Also, I'm just probably more familiar with NYC's grime.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Jeff Fatwood posted:

The openworld FPS adventure game underneath is shackled by a terribly realized RPG. I wish they had gone with much simpler inventory mechanics and added depth with better weapon customization or whatever

Diablo style weapons and clothing was the most boneheaded decision imo. Getting the same exact weapon but "legendary" was not fun at all.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Glenn Quebec posted:

I would love a game like this set in 70's/80's NYC. NYC today is pretty nice.

This plague needs to end, I miss going out to Brooklyn with my friends :smith:.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Mesadoram posted:

I would love a game like this set in 70's/80's NYC. NYC today is pretty nice.

This plague needs to end, I miss going out to Brooklyn with my friends :smith:.

Same, i miss the city immensely.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Glenn Quebec posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'd be lying if I'd say that wasn't a part of what I liked about cyberpunk. I legit like to just travel around the city on foot because it reminds me of the world being normal.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Meanwhile, I'm just here choosing not to go to the city because other than the odd COV-pos person being quarantined at the border, it's effectively been eliminated where I live. :smug:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Vagabundo posted:

Meanwhile, I'm just here choosing not to go to the city because other than the odd COV-pos person being quarantined at the border, it's effectively been eliminated where I live. :smug:

We've had a hard go of things in the US.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

sean10mm posted:

But think of the things you can make! :v:

And this game's crafting system makes Witcher 3 look like... I dunno, a good crafting system I've never actually seen in a game before because they're all dumb time wasters. That game had like 500 layers of trash materials just so you could only use it to make a new set of Witcher gear every 30 hours.

They should have an achievement in that game for "YOU ACTUALLY CRAFTED A HATCHET LOL? BUT WHY?"

Actually I made my point half wrong lol

The crafting system in W3 is absolutely worse than CP in a vacuum, but it's also completely ignorable except for Witcher gear, while CP has more cool poo poo that's worth crafting... but the system/menus/etc are still bad so it's more irritating.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

TheAgent posted:

hell no, that's exactly why I got the tech/crafting run out of the way first :v:

my saving grace might be that I haven't followed the game much if at all until shortly before release, so I came in without big expectations treating it like an open world RPG and it just tickled my fancy places. Lots of loot (too much even), cool concepts with the implants and such, quests are good if unconsistent compared to witcher 3 but way better than any other open world game I played RDR2 excluded, crafting is a very powerful grind that I'll probably never bother with again and can really safely be ignored since you get showered in iconics and weapons of all rarities, and there's some replay value between stealth, hacking, melee and 2 kinds of ranged. Patches are coming and if they survive the shitstorm hopefully DLC will come too, might yet turn into an *gasp* actually good game :)

(I want that thing where you could climb walls with mantis blades and wallrun though, I clearly remember watching a video about that and I'm pissed they didn't put it in :mad: )

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 14, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

E: The one thing I would say this game is better than Witcher 3 is probably combat?

lolno

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

We've had a hard go of things in the US.

Seriously, it was simultaneously absolutely flabbergasting, but also hardly surprising that the response to COVID in the US was so utterly botched up.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Witcher 3 combat is really easy, you have to really up the difficulty to really need to use anything for it. The decoctions which give some really cool interesting buffs are completely useless cause honestly, you can defeat almost any opponent with your sword work and base powers.

At least with Cyberpunk the early game can bit a bit harrowing, I usually end up hiding behidn corners with looted shotguns to get a full buckshot

Also I love walking the city too, I wish i could myself, and see all the weird people. The outfits and different people and augments are great.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Lol yeah I know, I don't know what what to say they did better than their previous game. I mean A for Effort I guess. I still want this game to be completely finished and polished, but I will still probably have my own issues with the story and even V. I'm personally just not a fan of the character.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Question from a clueless Brit here, but is the southeast of the city based on LA or something?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I absolutely think CP has better moment to momemt action gameplay than W3. Unless you spam legendary contagion on your legendary deck because that IS comically broken.

W3 combat is incredibly monotonous after a while other than "look up bomb for this monstar" I guess. But for that kind of gameplay Horizon Zero Dawn is infinitely better.

Both games are easily broken if you pile up the right gear + ability combos. Like with the right green talents and decoctions everything that happens regenerates you or multiplies damage haha

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tirranek posted:

Question from a clueless Brit here, but is the southeast of the city based on LA or something?

It's just generic suburbia. It's the California version since Night City is in California but it's not really based on anything that specific.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's just generic suburbia. It's the California version since Night City is in California but it's not really based on anything that specific.

I think it's fair to say that parts of the map are based on LA - some of it looks a lot like parts of LA, the game is set in southern CA (or at least central CA), there's the not-Hollywood sign, etc.

IIRC in the original cyberpunk canon, Night City was located in Morro Bay, which is not that far north of LA. But then I read somewhere that in the game it's set in Watsonville, which is much further north, so who knows.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bold Robot posted:

I think it's fair to say that parts of the map are based on LA - some of it looks a lot like parts of LA, the game is set in southern CA (or at least central CA), there's the not-Hollywood sign, etc.

IIRC in the original cyberpunk canon, Night City was located in Morro Bay, which is not that far north of LA. But then I read somewhere that in the game it's set in Watsonville, which is much further north, so who knows.

The not-Hollywood sign def is. There are certainly parts of LA that look like southeast Night City but to me "based on" to me means it's copying something specific, and there's nothing specific about that area that is special to LA and different than a thousand other places. The concrete ditch that looks like the LA river maybe.

Night City is Morro Bay, yes. The Red sourcebook has a map showing the land reclamation/dredging projects that reshaped it.

E: Multiple maps I assembled in paint!

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 14, 2021

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Glenn Quebec posted:

i see the thread has hit the "actually, this game is quite, remarkably good and has improved (where it matters, to me) compared to its predecessor, Witcher 3, the most lauded RPG of its generation" stage

I didn't think that highly of Witcher 3, so I wouldn't take my opinions as representative of the average CDPR fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Just in case anyone else hasn't posted about it: When you meet the XBD vendor as part of Disasterpiece, buy the quest item then punch him once and he'll drop with a load of crafting components up to Legendary (looks like 50 of each grade, craft and upgrade) plus potentially a very significant amount of money for that point in the game. I went from about $4000 to being able to pay Rogue handily.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 14, 2021