Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
So as I was pedaling around zwift tonight looking at all the bike poo poo I have around the garage and am tired of trying to sell as individual components, I realized I am a frame, right lever, and derailleur away from a complete 1x bike. Granted not a great top of the line bike, but a decent one, especially in the after times. That said, what’s the cheapest thru axle gravel bike frame I could get without being china carbon? A complete bike will be drastically easier to sell than a random assortment of parts. Cheapest I can find with any kind of brand recognition is the state bike all road for $420 (nice) shipped.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

e.pilot posted:

So as I was pedaling around zwift tonight looking at all the bike poo poo I have around the garage and am tired of trying to sell as individual components, I realized I am a frame, bars, right lever, and derailleur away from a complete 1x bike. Granted not a great top of the line bike, but a decent one, especially in the after times. That said, what’s the cheapest thru axle gravel bike frame I could get without being china carbon? A complete bike will be drastically easier to sell than a random assortment of parts. Cheapest I can find with any kind of brand recognition is the state bike all road for $420 (nice) shipped.

The only way this is worth it is if you buy a super expensive frame, replace your current frame, and then sell the old one with the parts.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Not cheaper, but maybe more to your liking?
https://www.poseidonbike.com/collections/adventure-bike/products/redwood-frameset

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Salt Fish posted:

The only way this is worth it is if you buy a super expensive frame, replace your current frame, and then sell the old one with the parts.

yoooooooo

I’m just going to sell it, so eh.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 14, 2021

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
So I JRAd the poo poo out of my hybrid last night. I think something got kicked up into a jockey wheel but no matter what it was I now have a bent up derailleur in two pieces and a wheel with a spoke torn right out of the hole sitting in the back of the truck.

So I can get a lift to work early and do a disc conversion. I've already got one spare wheel, may as well buy another and some BB7s :homebrew:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
So state sells the all road with their rebranded sensah groupset for $850, would it be worth much more with a sram group?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

e.pilot posted:

So state sells the all road with their rebranded sensah groupset for $850, would it be worth much more with a sram group?

No.

This sounds like a huge amount of hassle to make maybe $100 more than you could with the parts once you factor in shipping/tax/cables/housing/hoses/bar tape/chain/other poo poo too probably.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Is there anything wrong with re-using (lightly) used tires?

My neighbor left his cheap single speed by the curb for trash collection, and he just put new gator skins on it maybe a year ago. I asked him if I could pull the wheels off and he said go for it. I don’t think he rode much on them; maybe a few hundred miles at most.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'd use them, but I'm the sort that will seek out used stuff before buying new if possible.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The worst-case scenario for bad-but-not-obviously-bad tires is, what? sudden tire disintegration? I mean, the absolute worst thing that could happen. Basically, fall off your bike at speed is the scenario, and that's only if you don't notice the impending disaster before the tire converts itself into a frayed strip of dirty rubber. Seems unlikely. Other failure modes I can think of are all along the lines of "Hmmm... that doesn't look good. I'll not ride on that today!"

Much more likely: you get to ride on tires you got for free for a while, then replace them when they're worn out just like any other tire.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Bouillon Rube posted:

Is there anything wrong with re-using (lightly) used tires?

My neighbor left his cheap single speed by the curb for trash collection, and he just put new gator skins on it maybe a year ago. I asked him if I could pull the wheels off and he said go for it. I don’t think he rode much on them; maybe a few hundred miles at most.

Everyone that rides their bike is riding on used tires, often with much more than a few hundred miles. Go for it if they are in good shape

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Which one of y’all did this?

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bop/d/portland-bike-parts-real-cheapprices/7262049598.html

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Everyone that rides their bike is riding on used tires, often with much more than a few hundred miles. Go for it if they are in good shape

:hmmyes:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Mr. Wood got new wheels today. :3:

Gave up on trying to find short straight pull aero spokes. Could find J bend ones, but that didn’t do me any good when I already had the hubs and rims. Ended up going with Sapim strong single butted. Haven’t ridden them yet, that’s a job for tomorrow. Only 250g a wheel heavier than the previous 25mm wheels, they’re about as heavy as a 700c deep carbon wheel at 1700g for the pair.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

e.pilot posted:

Some critical part is made in plastic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPYsfe79zbc&t=134s

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
The dumbest term in cycling is clipless pedals which are pedals that you clip to your shoe.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

The dumbest term in cycling is clipless pedals which are pedals that you clip to your shoe.

otoh it’s a great opportunity to launch into a rambling fifteen minute diatribe explaining toe clips to your grandchildren

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sab0921 posted:

out of context yes

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Clark Nova posted:

otoh it’s a great opportunity to launch into a rambling fifteen minute diatribe explaining toe clips to your grandchildren

It's also fun that in both guns and bikes, pedants get extremely worked up over the same word, "clip"

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Sab0921 posted:

yeah that confused me for a bit

“clipless pedals” sounds like it refers to the type of pedals that are actually referred to as “flats”

it’s a bad term

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Has anyone ever corrected a person when they asked about riding with clips? If you did hang your head in shame.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Use the french term IMO, call them Automatic Pedals

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The fixie craze was only like 10-15 years ago so you don’t have to be that ancient to have ridden toe clips.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

The fixie craze was only like 10-15 years ago so you don’t have to be that ancient to have ridden toe clips.

Hell, I raced with toe clips as recently as 2017.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Suggested name changes:

Clipped Pedals --> Strapped pedals

Clipless pedals --> Clip-in pedals

Flat Pedals --> Regular pedals

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It's impossible to get people to stop calling them bidons so I don't know if this plan is going to work

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the Brompton recs. I just wish I could try that 3spd somewhere before pulling the trigger. But like you said, gotta beat walking no matter what.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

my 2016 giant defy came new out of the box with toe clips

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Click pedals.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

God Hole posted:

my 2016 giant defy came new out of the box with toe clips

Canyon is shipping Aeroads with toe clip pedals

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

"How did I get that scar? Well, it's a funny story" pedals.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

you climp your clompers into the stompers

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
how does anyone ride toe clips without falling over every time they stop? if it's loose enough for you to pull your shoe out, it's probably not tight enough to work effectively

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

DELETE CASCADE posted:

how does anyone ride toe clips without falling over every time they stop? if it's loose enough for you to pull your shoe out, it's probably not tight enough to work effectively

You reach down and loosen it before you stop? It becomes second-nature very quickly.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Clark Nova posted:

My wife “corrected” me on the term during our first date because she had done some biking and I was telling her about the new bike I had just bought. I said clipless shoes and she said “nono-you want shoes that can clip!” I’m glad I kept my mouth shut because it worked out in the end.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

bicievino posted:

You reach down and loosen it before you stop? It becomes second-nature very quickly.

sounds convenient but i'll stick with moving my heel an inch to the left

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I've got a fixie with clipless pedals and one with flat/straps and the difference in braking power is wild (but not at all surprising). I always wonder if toe clips would be better than straps, but I can't imagine so and I'm not gonna waste the money on finding out.

I sorta hate how much I like riding fixed gears...

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

bicievino posted:

This doesn't seem very convenient - uhm, anywhere?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Sab0921 posted:

It's objectively inferior to clipless pedals. Sorry if it seemed like I was implying otherwise.
Just meant to suggest that it was a thing that did kinda work, since, y'know, it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Sab0921 posted:

It really isn't.

Picture this though. The original Eroica event in Italy. 220 km of gravel and pavement on a pre 1986 road racing bike, toe clips and straps required. You are doing the 220km event, and are near the front of the field. Now, just as you hit the toughest gravel climb of the day up Monte Santa Marie, the route merges with people doing the shorter 140km event, right when the middle of that field is hitting the same climb. They are fat, tired, out of shape and walking up it. Now in order to clear a near 30 percent grade in a 42x28, you have no option but to commit to the effort and pull tight a double set of 3 ply leather toe straps. In other words, there is no stopping. On the approach to each ramp, you have to precalculate your path to avoid the sand and walkers, while yelling at them in English, French and Italian to "Get the gently caress out my way." Success was achieved in 4 of the 5 years.

So yeah, toe clips suck.