Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I don't understand how to interact with kids, am I destined to be a terrible father

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Truman Peyote posted:

I don't understand how to interact with kids, am I destined to be a terrible father

well your kids won’t know how to interact with you but you’ll both have years and years and years to get better at it

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i have kids op

i parent them, in partnership with their mother, my wife

hth

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Truman Peyote posted:

I don’t even know how to interact with people and it turns out kids are easier

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

i have kids op

i parent them, in partnership with their mother, my wife

hth

same

except their mother, my wife, is more like an ex wife.

her last boyf was 16 years younger than her. it didn’t work out lol

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

lol

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Years ago in SF I went to a b-day party for a friend/colleague of mine that had recently had her first kid (they have 3 now, all adorable) so she hadn’t drank in like a year and proceeded to get hammered and have a great time. We were chatting about how it’s been for her with the newborn and the wack-rear end sleep schedule and stuff and she told me “dude.. you’re going to be such a great dad someday” :unsmith:

She slurred her words a bit but hey drunk words are sober thoughts. One of the nicest things anyone’s said to me.

My sister’s got two boys now, 2 and .5 and they’re shockingly reasonable kids. For now I’m content with a future being “cool uncle fortaleza out west”

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

shoeberto posted:

Oh I guess there's one thing. How much does it suck to have a young kid when you don't have much of a local support network? We live far from family and our friend group is pretty small atm.
It blows rear end. We live away from family and it was ridiculous TBH. Now they're older and family can keep them busy over zoom etc it's not so bad, but as long.

Fortaleza posted:

“dude.. you’re going to be such a great dad someday” :unsmith:

She slurred her words a bit but hey drunk words are sober thoughts. One of the nicest things anyone’s said to me.
No offense but until you've had an infant on your own for a week or so you have no idea how capable of parenting you are.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 18, 2021

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

No offense but until you've had an infant on your own for a week or so you have no idea how capable of parenting you are.

No worries, none taken. Her baby was 2 or 3 months old at that point so she was in the thick of it and not spouting platitudes so I took it to heart though. I’ll never know until I do, but plenty of time.

I remember once when I was around 19 or 20 and I asked my dad (who’d been divorced from my mom and remarried with stepkids for years at that point) “how did you manage to raise me and <sister> so well??” He paused for a sec and said “... I have absolutely no clue” and he 100% meant it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
raising babies isn’t hard. it’s hard work but not hard. and some kids obv harder than others but pretty much anyone with the right attitude will be fine

it’s when you need to really start being a role model, that it’s a challenge, coz all the lessons in the world won’t change that your children largely learn from what you do more so than what you say, how you treat them and others. and this is the part where self sacrifice really kicks in, because it’s one thing to sacrifice sleep etc, but that doesn’t have to change who you are.. but if you see things in yourself you don’t respect and don’t want your kids to have, you have to actually do the hard work and change.

it’s good tho.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Truman Peyote posted:

I didn't know how to do this either until I became a dad. Then it just kinda clicks.

If it helps, the first like year of their life you just describe to them what you are doing while doing it, and show interest in poo poo they are doing if they bring anything to you.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

shoeberto posted:

Oh I guess there's one thing. How much does it suck to have a young kid when you don't have much of a local support network? We live far from family and our friend group is pretty small atm.

It's tough, not gonna lie. The hardest thing before they hit nursery is finding other kids to do stuff with (which in this situation is hosed anyway so heyoooo).

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

echinopsis posted:

but if you see things in yourself you don’t respect and don’t want your kids to have, you have to actually do the hard work and change.

I'm hoping that having an extra decade of life experience compared to when my parents had us will help with that. Because there is a lot of stuff I'm realizing I picked up from my parents that fuuuucked me up.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

My hope is that, in parenting, I raise a human that only requires half the hours of therapy that I did at MOST.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

shoeberto posted:

I'm hoping that having an extra decade of life experience compared to when my parents had us will help with that. Because there is a lot of stuff I'm realizing I picked up from my parents that fuuuucked me up.

similar for me. my parents are good people, but yeah, i picked up a lot of dad's anger issues. i've worked on myself over the years and waiting until my mid-30s to have the first kid was overall a good thing.

e: dad, to his credit, was raised in an outright abusive household, and his parenting style was loving miles better than what he grew up around.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

President Beep posted:

e: dad, to his credit, was raised in an outright abusive household, and his parenting style was loving miles better than what he grew up around.

Hey same! Except replace anger with depression, anxiety, and social withdrawal.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

as long as my kids are not yosposters i'll be happy

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

pointsofdata posted:

dad... we need 2 talk......

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

pointsofdata posted:

The Monkeypaw curls a finger. they become CSPAM posters.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

CyberPingu posted:

The Monkeypaw curls a finger. they become CSPAM posters.

> dad walks in to room
> kid slams laptop lid shut
> dad: "What were you looking at?? show me!!!!"
> kid: "no! dad! it's not what it looks like!"
> dad: "I better not have caught you doing it again!"
> dad opens laptop
> the web browser is open to Hackernews
> the comment text box is filled with 5 paragraphs fanboying over Elon Musk
> dad: "we TALKED about this!!!"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

it is astonishing how much these things poop jfc

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

it is astonishing how much these things poop jfc

The frequency isn't what impressed me. Is the quantity of some of them.

My kid did one the other day that took 2 flushes to get rid of. He's only 2 and the thing was like half the size of him

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
when they're really little the force of their poops can explode out of the diaper in what's commonly called a "blowout"

in my experience it usually rockets up their back

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
a cool thing about blowouts is they only happen on long car rides, and when you're doing the walk of shame to the buckies bathroom you'll see four or five sets of parents who are like "hoo boy, i've been there!"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

..."long car rides"? that sounds dangerous, like you're trying to get covid!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

oh heavens no, my 3yo's been out of diapers for a year; this was pre-covid

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Corla Plankun posted:

oh heavens no, my 3yo's been out of diapers for a year; this was pre-covid

We are in this process atm.

Today my kid was playing happily then shouted "poooooooo" and sprinted off to the toilet.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Corla Plankun posted:

this was pre-covid

You can't guarantee that. They could have eaten any number of bats on the road trip. smdh

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

it has been long enough that i am definitely taking it for granted now, but i can remember being super loving hyped when my daughter would stop what she was doing and holler "i need to go potty" and run off to take care of business.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
My daughters response to being asked to go to the bathroom, like everything, is a solid «нет»

And then she goes anyway

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i dont know anything about raising kids, but it seems easy.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i have a friend with a kid who had another on the way.

he spent the entire day saturday sending jokes and linking youtube videos in our friend sms group chat. it was around 10pm when he said, "oh yeah, my son was born at 1am this morning, his balls are huge"

so i just assume there's not much to it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

it is mate

billions done it not even that long ago

eskimo’s did it in conditions none of us could survive in and they only had dead animals to live off

or the desert

or syria

or a million places more hostile than a modern insulated home

with less food etc

if anything we need to make it harder , get back to our roots

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I mean tbh if my wife’s coworkers are a good sample than going off how easy/laid back the average dad seems may be a bit off-base/dysfunctional

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

the main thing to remember is that according to the internet having a daughter makes you a cuck

sorry, i don't make the rules

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

I mean tbh if my wife’s coworkers are a good sample than going off how easy/laid back the average dad seems may be a bit off-base/dysfunctional

idk what you’re trying to say here

but paranoid parents create a vibe where non paranoid parents are effectively bad parents for “not caring”.. I just don’t like to live my life in fear lol. some people love it.

shoeberto posted:

having the right attitude is the key, you’re never too young to change and grow, and having kids shines a light on yourself.

the problem is when people say “this is just who I am”, and basically carry on cycles of abuse or disseminating anxiety as if it’s reasonable etc.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

when they're really little the force of their poops can explode out of the diaper in what's commonly called a "blowout"

in my experience it usually rockets up their back

this happened twice in a day over the weekend, I kind of want to say "what have you been eating???" but I know what she's been eating and it still doesn't make sense

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

idk what you’re trying to say here

someone talking about there not being that much to parenting because a friend that's a parent was super active in a group text might just mean more that they're kind of riding high on the old "second shift" horse

also relating to my wife's coworkers experiences of needing familiar/professional childcare support regularly because their spouses/partners can't really be bothered for providing more than like a couple hours of gap coverage -- dad's there for the fun times not for everything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

President Beep posted:

-don’t bother getting a diaper genie

best advice so far