Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Sounds like the wife is detonating it because her husband dared to have a fantasy about another woman.

Stupid of him to say anything, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

LadyPictureShow posted:

My M 31) Wife (28) Wants A Divorce Because I Live An Entirely Different Reality With My First Love (F29) In My Dreams

move from New York to South Carolina with me which is where the biggest industry for my field is.

Peaches? Plantation weddings?

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

LadyPictureShow posted:

My M 31) Wife (28) Wants A Divorce Because I Live An Entirely Different Reality With My First Love (F29) In My Dreams
At first she that I was joking but when she realized I was serious, she accused me of cheating on her and told her mom and sisters who are calling me a cheating weirdo. She even threatened to tell my ex so she'll know what a "loving loser" I am.

lmao

op in the comments posted:

I don't think you can put an expiration date on love. Just because you're living different lives doesn't mean the love dies.

I do understand however that my feelings for my ex are extreme and my path towards processing them were extreme. But it's not an obsession, It's love.

I've never intrudes on my ex's life or crossed any boundaries nor will I, even though I think my marriage is ending.
This guy has really convinced himself that his feelings are just so gosh darn special but he would never be creepy or anything.

Jam With Seeds
Dec 20, 2008

The next evolution of Work Spouses, the Dream Spouse.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

kimbo305 posted:

Hard graft st the racism factory

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

kimbo305 posted:

Probably aerospace industry. Boeing has a big operation in SC, an there's a bunch of manufacturing there as well as part of that.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

:five:

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

But why would you tell your wife??? In what world is it okay to have recurring dream dates with your ex?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dazerbeams posted:

But why would you tell your wife??? In what world is it okay to have recurring dream dates with your ex?

A world where you're unhappy with your relationship in your wife and can imagine a perfect fantasy without all the problems and complications and hard parts a relationship with a real person means.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Dazerbeams posted:

Cause they're just dreams, who gives a gently caress. I dreamt I was spitting on the statue of an angel last night, who cares.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

AITA? I imprisoned my lover in hell for eternity because she left me by suicide. The gods had destroyed everything she knew and loved to punish her for allowing me to have her but I don't think that's my fault.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

hazardousmouse posted:

Cause they're just dreams, who gives a gently caress. I dreamt I was spitting on the statue of an angel last night, who cares.

If you're doing it every night and looking forward to it as an alternative to real life, an activity to which you ascribe the emotion love, it's not healthy.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

hazardousmouse posted:

I'm pretty sure that was her original thought too, but he's the one insisting it's not just a dream "I've practiced going lucid so I've been able to control the outcome more times than not. We've lived a whole life together over the past year."

That's not cheating, but it's not just dreaming. It's the equivalent of spending time every other day writing fanfiction about an ex, which is loving weird.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

"I'm just fantasizing about a perfect life with the one that got away, every other night to the detriment of my marriage. What's the big deal?" -more than one goon

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

The problem with telling other people your dreams is that they are meaningless and boring to other people. However, the kinds of dreams you might have that would be interesting/important to people are the kinds of dreams that you probably shouldn't tell anyone.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

hazardousmouse posted:

I think the wife cares when he says he is looking forward to his nightly adventures with his ex...

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I'm pretty sure that was her original thought too, but he's the one insisting it's not just a dream "I've practiced going lucid so I've been able to control the outcome more times than not. We've lived a whole life together over the past year."

That's not cheating, but it's not just dreaming. It's the equivalent of spending time every other day writing fanfiction about an ex, which is loving weird.

Ok yeah, he made it super weird

I didn't read the entire thing cause people talking about their dreams makes my eyes roll into the back of my head

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Someone tell that guy about tulpas

Jam With Seeds
Dec 20, 2008

lament.cfg posted:

Someone tell that guy about tulpas

Cheating on my dream wife with her spiritual manifestation on the physical plane.

As one does.

Haulin Oates
Nov 11, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Sounds like the wife is detonating it because her husband dared to have a fantasy about another woman.

Stupid of him to say anything, though.

He's not just incidentally having dreams about his ex: he's purposely trained himself to dream up an entire fantasy life with the woman he never got over in lucid dreams. It's so bad that he looks forward to being asleep more than being awake, and his wife has felt him become distant. It's an emotional affair, even if it's a fantasy emotional affair.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Replace 'dreams' with 'holodeck' and see how pathetic and creepy it sounds.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Haulin Oates posted:

Ugly Kid Joe did a cover in the 90's, it's pretty good.

Now that is a fuckin time warp

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Buttchocks posted:

Replace 'dreams' with 'holodeck' and see how pathetic and creepy it sounds.

Didn't know Geordi was on reddit.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

I don't know that the op thought would happen. No one is going to be please with their partner constantly fantasizing about someone else.

At least it reminded me of this old song that I haven't listened to in ages:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PunwzrsdBnY

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for leaving my daughter behind on a trip that she paid for

quote:

Hello Reddit, long time lurker, first time poster. My daughter and I got into a huge fight about this (a couple years ago,) so I thought I would come to r/AmItheAsshole to see if I was in the wrong.

Here is where the story begins: My daughter (19) Tammi, has always dreamed of visiting the Florida Keys, every since she was little. She has always wanted to splurge and just take a big family trip, however when she was a kid, we were extremely tight on money due to my ex (however that is a whole other story in itself.) We could barely afford bills and dinner, let alone a big trip to an island.

Tammi got a job at 17 working as a cashier for our local grocery store, (it doesn't pay well but there weren't very many options as we live in a small town in Northern Montana,) and began to save up, she doesn't need to pay for college as I have put aside a fund for her, so I figured it was just money for herself.

However, Christmas of 2018 she surprised us all with tickets to the Florida Keys, (she bought for my wife Meg (51,) her younger brother (16) and I (52.) We were all so excited to go! Here is where the drama begins

When Tammi was a kid (10-11), she begged for a husky, so we got one, sadly, it passed away from cancer 2 years after we got him. Our family fell in love with huskies so we adopted 4 more.

2 of the huskies are special needs and dog sitters are really expensive and rare where we live and so we didn't want to spend our money. Our family has a rule where each time we go on vacation, one person has to stay home and we have a chart to make sure someone doesn't go twice in a row. This particular trip, it was Tammi's responsibility, and we have to follow this because I don't want people questioning my authority.

I tell Tammi about this and she laughs in my face, saying she's the one who payed for it so there is no way in hell that she isn't coming. I got really upset about this and she started telling me my ego was extremely fragile, I got really offended so I left the conversation.

Tammi is a really heavy sleeper and needs a loud alarm to wake her up, however I wasn't going to let her rudeness slide, I turned off her alarm and left her a note saying that it was her turn to take care of the dogs and we left without her. I told my wife that Tammi wasn't feeling good, and wished us the best. We got through security all okay and went to the Keys and enjoyed our vacation, honestly it was amazing, I turned my phone off so that I wouldn't get all her angry calls and could just spend the time in serenity.

When we got back from the vacation we found her at home and she began to berate us, calling me and my wife obscene names, and throwing things. I kicked her out of my house and told her she would no longer be welcome here since she has disrespected me and I won't let her in unless she apologizes and pays for the things she broke.

Eventually she apologized and payed for everything and now everything is fine. I have just been pondering this argument and wondering, so Reddit AITA?

No words.

AITA for yelling at my nurse for her prank?

quote:

my first reddit post, sorry for my ramble in advance.

after getting some blood work done at a doctors appointment, i (34/f) was waiting for my doctor to return, when a nurse came in. she congratulated me on my positive pregnancy results and said along the lines of oh sorry i should wait for the doctor to go over everything

i was stunned. i felt so many emotions at once and i started just sobbing instantly. my husband and i had decided 6 months prior that we should try to start a family.

i lost my him october 2020 to a car accident. the idea of him living on, even in that split second, had me so overcome that like i said i broke down. happy as hell, but still crying.

not even five seconds later she said " oh dont cry, im literally just messing with you haha dont worry youre not pregnant haha i can tell you dont want kids haha"

- whatever that means.

now im not proud of this, but i lost my poo poo. i called her a oval office and said some pretty awful things before leaving, not even waiting for the doctor to come back.

now, im thinking im a complete rear end in a top hat for laying into a young nurse who i assume was just trying to lighten the mood and would have no idea what ive been through with pregnancies.

Also no words. Save I hope this was recorded somehow cause some lawyer started drooling like Tree Law.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 19, 2021

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

WIBTA if I insist/put my foot down about helping my wife with housework?

quote:

Hi Reddit please help. My wife (30sf) and myself (30sm) are recently married <3yrs. She brought a child into the marriage, my stepdaughter (8ish).

My wife and I both work full time. She is in retail, I am in corporate. My salary is 5x higher than hers so she covers, school, healthcare for the two of them, her personal debt, clothes and some surprises/treats she buys for me, she is extremely generous with her money to a fault, she does get some child support but it does not cover everything.

On the other hand I cover the mortgage, utilities, food, entertainment (she pays sometimes), any unexpected expenses, holidays, transportation and such. I buy my stepdaughter presents and such when I travel and for special occasions, same for my wife.

My wife also suffers from anxiety/depression. She is medicated and in therapy.

Now she comes home then she almost immediately goes to cook and then dedicate time to spend with our daughter before dedicating some time with me. I always offer to assist with the cooking but she tells me no I am busy. In reality I am playing Xbox or doing something else entertaining and she can see me do it. I always tell her what I’m doing is not that important.

I kept offering to help but nothing came of it. I do wash the dishes and the majority of housework is done by our cleaner once a week, our apartment is tiny so it doesn’t get that dirty. I still feel like she has the short end of the stick when it comes to chores.

Now she has started an online learning as well, it’s a paid for course with a time limit. So after the cooking she jumps straight into studying. I have repeatedly offered help with meals and one day I managed to cook something but it was terrible so I feel like she would want me to cook even less.

WIBTA if I insisted on doing more of the cooking to give her more time to study? I can tell the deadline is stressing her out.

Edit: forgot to include that my wife often expresses a fear of losing me no matter how much I reassure her that won’t happen. This would be because of her first marriage. I feel like she thinks she has to do everything she does because it’s her duty and that way she won’t lose me.

Edit 2. Wow I cannot believe this is actually getting awards. Thank you so much. The advice from everyone is much appreciated. Just wanted to clear some stuff up.

We get a maid in once a week. She does the heavy chores. Eg bathroom/toilet/kitchen cleaning. Folding and ironing clothes. Vacuum/mopping. So the flat basically doesn’t need much done on the daily.

My step daughter is reluctant to spend a huge amount of time with me. I have tried and things have gotten better but I’ve learnt it’s best not to force anything here.

When I say I offer to help it’s not a lame offer. I am standing in the kitchen with her sometimes. I do offer to do all the small tasks but am virtually chased out of the kitchen. Sometimes she will specifically ask me to something like peeling garlic cloves, which I jump to do.

I can cook. She knows this. I know this. Cooking classes are not readily available where I live. Small city in a poor country. I normally cook with a recipe. She doesn’t. I wanted to surprise her so for the first time in a while I made a meal and it was a disaster. I didn’t follow a recipe.

We get home at the same time. She does not drive so I drop off and pick up.

Thank you all for the comments. This is far more than I expected and I appreciate all of the advice.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Hughlander posted:

WIBTA if I insist/put my foot down about helping my wife with housework?

Help me reddit! I am lost up my own rear end!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Cowslips Warren posted:

This is obviously an awful story, but I love the mental image of dad getting owned so badly by his daughter's words that he gathers up the family and sneaks off in the dead of night rather than risk facing more hurtful, accurate words.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cowslips Warren posted:

No words.

I want to believe this isn't real. No person can be this monumentally self centred.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SirSamVimes posted:

I want to believe this isn't real. No person can be this monumentally self centred.
you can tell it's fake from the dad quoting specific things that make him look bad. if he was as big of a dipshit as presented in the story, his brain would either be broken enough to completely throw out that info as a defense mechanism, or he's intelligent enough to know that the things his daughter said make him look bad and he would've left them out entirely

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

AITA for being unsupportive of my "alien" girlfriend?

quote:

(TA since a few people know my main reddit. Also Happy MLK Jr day everybody)

My (21M) girlfriend (21F) and I have been together for almost a year now, and she's given me no reason to think of her as weird or crazy until now. She's in her second year of college, majoring in psych, and as far as I know she has no mental disorders. Our relationship has been great, save for the occasional argument, and we've gone as far as to talk about getting an apartment with each other over the summer.

Throw back to yesterday though. I was at work when I got a text asking me to go over to her place after so we can have "a talk". I asked what it was about and she wouldn't tell me anything. Naturally I thought it was something bad, like she wanted to break up or I did something wrong. Keep in mind that she texted me this at 10 in the morning, 2 hours into my 6 hour shift, so I was panicking over this for over 4 whole hours.

So I got to her place and she starts off my telling me that it's nothing bad (this already upset me since she wouldn't even tell me this on the phone) but that she realized that she finally trusts me enough to tell me something that she hasn't told any of her irls yet.

Basically she tells me that she identifies as an alien. She mentioned other kin and said that she is the reincarnation of an otherworldly being. Her "proof" of being an alien is that she can fire bend (???), she has urges to eat things humans can't (like cement and sand), and she has a deep connection to space, learning other languages, and ancient civilizations.

I thought she was joking at first but when she started talking about how she wants to get body mods to "reflect her true self", I realized she was serious. I asked if she was OK and she started whining about me not being supportive of her. I said she was acting crazy and that I needed time to think, and I left.

The rest of the day she was texting me every 10 minutes. It started with her yelling at me because she "thought I'd accept her", then saying how she was in the wrong because she shouldn't expect me to understand, then saying how she's sorry for springing it on me because I can't comprehend so much information at once, then asking if we can take some time to talk about it together.

I'm at a loss. I told my brother about it and he agreed that it was insane, but my sister on the other hand said I was being a lovely boyfriend for not at least being open minded. She said this wasn't worth "treating her like an idiot" and that I should set up time to talk about it with her like she wanted.

AITA if I don't want to be open minded about it? I think it's insane.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
On the one hand, it's a pity to find out your SO is functionally insane.

On the other hand, next time some rear end in a top hat tries to dangle the whole "We need to Talk" manipulative BS, he has a hell of a rejoinder.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

HMS Beagle posted:

kind of a big red flag from the sister for what she thinks healthy relationship standards are

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Dont date sectoids you Advent sympathizer

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

HMS Beagle posted:

Why is Reddit saying this guy is an rear end in a top hat? I can't say I wouldn't react the same way if my girlfriend said she was an alien because she likes space, history, and eating sand.

Edit: I need to know the body mods she wants to get.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 19, 2021

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

limp_cheese posted:

Why is Reddit saying this guy is an rear end in a top hat? I can't say I wouldn't react the same way if my girlfriend said she was an alien because she likes space, history, and eating sand.

And she can control fire, which I'm sure she was easily able to demonstrate

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Thought it was going to be the girlfriend revealing she was an undocumented immigrant, hella glad it wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Emily Spinach posted:

Didn't know Geordi was on reddit.

Is it really a surprise, though?

limp_cheese posted:

It was doomed from the start, he loves space and history but hates sand.