Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LOL I've seen a dozen "Japan isn't buying the PS5" headlines so that's hilarious if it's because there aren't any and not that they're actually not being purchased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Japan has gotten like zero ps5s because japanese arent going to buy an xbox like americans might if sony doesnt send all their supply here.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Real hurthling! posted:

Japan has gotten like zero ps5s because japanese arent going to buy an xbox like americans might if sony doesnt send all their supply here.
Yeah. I have watched almost the entire history of the Xbox in Japan first-hand. No version of it has ever gotten more than a few feet of shelf space in any store I’ve ever been in.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

TasteTheRambo posted:

For anyone curious, you can platinum games on both the PS4 and the PS5. I spent the day getting it on the PS5 version of Maneater, having already gotten it on PS4 version in June.

How this works seems to vary from game to game, No Mans Sky instantly gave me all the PS5 trophies as soon as I imported my PS4 game, Watch Dogs Legion didn't do the same so I would have to earn them all over again if I cared about trophies.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I think I read that japan has had 15k ps5's a week allocated from launch through Feb.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

mega delusion post

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

cubicle gangster posted:

I think I read that japan has had 15k ps5's a week allocated from launch through Feb.
That amount probably wouldn’t even be enough for one major city here, let alone the whole country.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
No idea where I read that. Just found another source saying 40k a week.
Either way, still very low.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Every store says the same thing: no, we have no stock and no idea when we will get more. A few of them say to check the website for lotteries of pre-orders, but they are only even running those once a month or so. Maybe I mentioned it before, but I went to a small independent game store in town a few weeks ago and they said that they weren’t taking any more entries for the lottery because they had over 2000 already. This is a store about 4km from the city center that never has more than one or two customers in it at a time.

I managed to get a PS2, a PS3 and PS4 all in the launch week one way or another. This time though, it’s astronomically difficult even three months later. It’s incredible.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 19, 2021

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I am really struggling to find one in the UK. There was a drop by one retailer a few days ago but it was still gone in less than a minute. Mostly by bots

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Honestly if you aren't hankering for the demons souls remake you are probably just fine waiting until later this year if not next year to pick one up.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
FYI because the PS5 OS currently sucks: I pre-ordered Hitman 3 like a week ago. Turned on my PS5 about an hour ago and it automatically started downloading/pre-loading Hitman 3.

Download finishes after like 30 minutes and it turns out it automatically downloaded the PS4 version of the game. Because of course it did.

Had to delete the entire download and then manually start the PS5 version download from my Game Library.

Hopefully this helps anyone else who pre-ordered the game on the PS5 and expected it to, you know, pre-load the PS5 version on their PS5.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I'm in Belgium and I put myself on a waiting list for a big retailer back in september. They contacted me 2 months later to ask if I wanted the disc version or not, and last thing I heard from them was an email in december that told me not to expect a ps5 in 2020.

EDIT: this is belgium btw.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
I'm your neighbor in the Netherlands and I haven't bothered with pre-ordering or waiting lists. Like with PS4 I'll just go to Mediamarkt or another store whenever I know they have some stock. But for PS4 this was like a month after release... for PS5... I hope I can get one within two months.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Geo Fixer posted:

Honestly if you aren't hankering for the demons souls remake you are probably just fine waiting until later this year if not next year to pick one up.

my problem is my switch gave me a hankerin to play video game on my big tv but outside of the core Nintendo games the switch sucks

i almost ordered a series x tonight but i already have a gaming pc that'll get every ms exclusive, whereas i do want demon souls and bloodborn and ghosts of sashimi

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Owning a PS5 whips scrote because you can play Cyberpunk for about 40 minutes at a time, and also Demon's Souls, and improved versions of Tsushima, MK11, Spidey and its expansion pack Miles Morales, and DMC5.

And you get free games like Bloodborne and The Last Of Us, neither of which had sequels for some reason.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

yea tbh most of the exclusives look pretty meh, it's the japanese games like ghosts that stand out

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The mrs already bought a copy of the overcooked rerelease for ps5 in anticipation of getting one this month. Shes now more impatient to get one than I am :)

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The perfect samurai game is a western studio and the perfect medieval knight game is a Japanese studio.

*global harmony intensifies*

e: Ghostwire Tokyo is also a western studio

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
The fact that stores aren't doing more to stop bots and scalpers grabbing all the orders as soon as they appear makes me cry like a tiny impotent baby. Like, I know that they have absolutely no incentive to sell to genuine customers above these SUBHUMAN SCUM, but god drat it I want one, and I hate those cunts.

In the past few days in the UK, both Symths and Game have had orders available, but both have sold out in ~ 1 minute.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

John Lewis stock just went live and sold out in like 10 seconds

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

fridge corn posted:

John Lewis stock just went live and sold out in like 10 seconds

:negative:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Game just went up and I'm in a queue but probably wasnt quick enough :(

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

LOL I've seen a dozen "Japan isn't buying the PS5" headlines so that's hilarious if it's because there aren't any and not that they're actually not being purchased.

most of the console sales headlines i've been subjected to are so switch owners can feel good, it's. it's very strange.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This year is looking pretty thin on game releases, and will probably see a bunch of delays for games that are supposed to come out in 2021 that will stretch it even thinner. 2022 might be even worse...Yet i feel weirdly ok with that. I've been waiting like 5 years for the cycle to just slow down a bit so I can replay some games.

At the same time I hope a few bangers and great PS5 updates come out in the meantime so I am reminded I own a PS5 and not a PS42.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I'd just be happy with NieR, Elden Ring, and :pray: Factions II :pray:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Sold out at Game :(

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'd just be happy with NieR, Elden Ring, and :pray: Factions II :pray:

Yeah my only real hype for 2021 is RE: Village, Deathloop, hopefully Elden Ring and theoretically some sort of TLOU2 PS5 bombshell with PS5 support and factions. There's a few others I'll probably grab too (Nier being on of them) but for the most part I just want to give some good games a replay, some of which I am waiting for PS5 upgrades on.

Metro Exodus when? My body is ready.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I'm loving my PS5 but so far I don't think I've played anything on that I couldn't on the PS4 barring Astroboy and Bugsnax (does Cyberpunk count too?). It's still been great to have an upgrade to a lot of older games, an upgrade to the very slow in comparison PS4 OS and access to like 20 free big releases on PS+ (which to be fair I already had most of but all of them being proper full sized games means even the 5 or something I didn't have were really nice to get).

It really does feel more like upgrading a PC than buying a new console, which is not a bad thing by any means. I do hope there are a few unique experiences this year though, and not "just because" exclusives like Bugsnax but games that actually push beyond what was feasible on the PS4.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Bugsnax is available for the PS4, I think, it just runs like rear end.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Cardiovorax posted:

Bugsnax is available for the PS4
Ah, that makes sense considering the graphics of the game. I think I got confused because the PS5 version was given away for free when you got a PS5.

Only Astroboy it is then! It will be great when every game takes advantage of the haptic triggers as well as they are used in Astroboy.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Bugsnax runs fine on ps4?????

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The framerate can drop well under 30 FPS in some locations and the load times are a lot longer, is what I meant. It's really noticeable when you compare the PS4 and PS5 versions side by side, but it doesn't usually get choppy or anything like that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bugsnax consumes a lot of processor cycles with its kinda bug, kinda snack dual game engines running in tandem.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
They are about to announce on thursday the april release date for re8, so drat, best get a ps5 stat, thread.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
but april is so far away

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I hope I have a ps5 by april

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

e: Ghostwire Tokyo is also a western studio

Not really. Tango Gameworks is Shinji Mikami's Tokyo studio. Bethesda, ergo ZeniMax, ergo Microsoft in the near future, owns them, though.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Had me excited for an Astroboy ps5 game. It doesn’t exist :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TasteTheRambo posted:

For anyone curious, you can platinum games on both the PS4 and the PS5. I spent the day getting it on the PS5 version of Maneater, having already gotten it on PS4 version in June.

All PS5 games have their own independent set of trophies, yeah. There are no games that do the shared trophy thing anymore, it's weird.