Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

that was more fav Easter Egg Simpsons joke in the series so far for the Baltimore street scene shot...

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

54 fuckin minutes and we didn't even get to the fireworks factory

That was a really tense episode. I didn't realize it was over til the credits rolled.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

It was a great episode. The anecdote that Peaches told to Amos’s friend was way deep. Naomi’s struggles are real af holy poo poo. She’s such a fantastic actress.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Really loved the reveal at the end of wtf was going on. The whole last 20 minutes was wondering whether I'd missed some obvious thing about what the hell she was trying to accomplish, and a small voice in the back of my head telling me "No, it'll become clear, don't worry"

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Data Graham posted:

Really loved the reveal at the end of wtf was going on. The whole last 20 minutes was wondering whether I'd missed some obvious thing about what the hell she was trying to accomplish, and a small voice in the back of my head telling me "No, it'll become clear, don't worry"

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by that.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Not sure how she's gonna get them to not dock and explode though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Infidelicious posted:

Not sure how she's gonna get them to not dock and explode though.

If they think she's in control they won't immediately try to mount a rescue, and that'll give her time to jump outside in a suit and flag them down with big DO NOT DOCK flashcards or whatever, is my assumption

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The greaser belter on Holdens ship is the best character on the show.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

datajugend posted:

the what

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

withak posted:

the what

He said "the greaser belter on Holdens ship"

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

datajugend posted:

:chloe:

yo, my man, you know that's uh...racist af right?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Vanderdeath posted:

:chloe:

yo, my man, you know that's uh...racist af right?

Super curious to know what you think a greaser is.

Greasers were a 50s fashion thing. Big hair with tons of product, jeans, leather jacket, etc. You've seen them in movies a billion times or Fallout or whatever.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

What? A 50's rockabilly guy with a pompadour?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also a derogatory term for a person of Latin American ancestry. Up to us to decide which one the OP meant here! Stay gold, goons.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

withak posted:

Also a derogatory term for a person of Latin American ancestry. Up to us to decide which one the OP meant here! Stay gold, goons.

I have never heard of this and it doesn't seem like it's been in use for a century, so I'm gonna take that the OP meant what everyone else does when they say greaser instead of always bad faith assuming the worst from everyone.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That was very boring

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I've only heard of greasers in the 50s rockabilly context and as a catch all for mechanics.

The guy who told Holden about the message kind of look like a bit from column A and a bit from column B, but I didn't take that close of a note of him.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
come on, settle down.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

Im not american so ive never heard that term used for anything else.

But yeah uh, when i used a term to describe white guys with greasy pompadours, i was talking about the white guy with a pompadour that i like. My bad i guess.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The guido belter on the Roci is the best character on the Roci.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

swickles posted:

The guido belter on the Roci is the best character on the Roci.

I'd take guido belter as an Alex replacement over this Bull guy.

Good ep.

Man, it seems like they still have a lot of ground to potentially cover in just 2 eps. It is a 10 ep season, right?

Sab Sabbington posted:

Getting really hyped up for the moment Drummer finally gets to use her gun and feel absolutely no sympathy for anyone dumb enough to get in between her and all of the killing she's gonna do.

I fear for my Camina. I feel like if the bullets start flying she could be a killable character. Just hope she goes out suitably like a boss. Heck, she could even go out anticlimactically.

Got some nice Dr. Strangelove shades in this ep with the military characters calling for nuking civilian targets. I think I've heard quite enough from you, General Turgidson. Some good 'what would have actually been a good moral response to 9/11' type thoughts.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
With all the greaser feedback, I have to assume people in this thread probably don't think tunnel snakes rule

A bad thread

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Drummer about to be like

also holy poo poo she chugged that fuckin' whiskey like a champ

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Taintrunner posted:

also holy poo poo she chugged that fuckin' whiskey like a champ

I don't even want to know what Amos did to that tequila. Also, I am curious if Clarissa goes by Peaches permanently after hearing Amos being called Timmy, like thats the last vestige of her previous self. Comedy option for Alex replacentment, the one armed man.

ickna
May 19, 2004

that was a stressful episode.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I never knew that was Amos’ real name until last episode. I felt like I must’ve missed or forgotten a whole backstory episode. So what is his story? He was named Timmy, grew up an orphan in the poo poo with that friend of his, and got asked to either kill his friend or kill a guy named Amos? He did the latter and took off with his name?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Blind Rasputin posted:

I never knew that was Amos’ real name until last episode. I felt like I must’ve missed or forgotten a whole backstory episode. So what is his story? He was named Timmy, grew up an orphan in the poo poo with that friend of his, and got asked to either kill his friend or kill a guy named Amos? He did the latter and took off with his name?

There's a whole episode that centres around that story, season 5 episode 2.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I was rather confused by Naomi struggling with the grate and it falling back down. The ship... isn't under power, is it? The drive sure as hell wasn't burning at the end of ep7.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Was also confused about why there was gravity in that ship.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I was confused and getting frustrated because I didn't know what she was doing. They were spending so much time showing her doing "something" but I couldn't see what the purpose was. I finally got an idea of what she was doing when she stripped the wire and grounding it started muting parts of the message. Still have no idea why she was marking tallies on the wall. It could have used at least some exposition to give us a hint of what she was doing instead of just showing her going into that hallway over and over again and failing.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I figured the marks on the wall were because each time she's trying a different junction box or wire and she's keeping track to save time.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

It served a dual purpose - one, to help her keep track of how many times she had done the job - but it was actually more important as a dramatic device, to show the viewing audience how many times she did it so they didn't have to show every single time to communicate that she did it a lot.

As for the confusing nature of what she was doing, that was just (imo) good writing. Lay a mystery (that has a definitive answer) and let it reveal itself in the course of the episode. Sure, not everyone will agree, but I appreciated the willingness to bring the audience along for the journey and have them try to piece together what was happening as a sort of narrative device to appreciate what was going through her head without overt exposition.

I think it would have been far less effective and much more frustrating if they saved the reveal for what she was doing till the next episode.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

I was rather confused by Naomi struggling with the grate and it falling back down. The ship... isn't under power, is it? The drive sure as hell wasn't burning at the end of ep7.

Both ships were under power when she made the jump, the ship she's on is absolutely moving.

Yeah, I'm glad they also didn't have her talking to herself or something to get the plan across because they assume we're idiots.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Yes, it was accelerating. The exterior shots in the beginning of the episode confirm it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If both ships were accelerating when she made the jump, then they should have accelerated away from her and she should have disappeared into the void. I'm pretty sure they were not accelerating, because dead old guy just stayed floating there, he didn't collapse to the floor.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

If both ships were accelerating when she made the jump, then they should have accelerated away from her and she should have disappeared into the void. I'm pretty sure they were not accelerating, because dead old guy just stayed floating there, he didn't collapse to the floor.

People keep pointing this out but we've seen magboots being used to keep people to the deck in zero gee for five seasons now.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Cojawfee posted:

It's more likely they had it with a set flight plan as soon as the two ships got far enough apart. At the end of Episode 7 (44:30) it is not under thrust, but at the beginning of Episode 8 (07:05) it is under power.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

They probably sent the ship off to accelerate after they left it. It probably wasn't accelerating at 1g either - Naomi was severely weakened after the vacuum exposure, the grate probably wouldn't have caused her as much trouble at full strength.

Besides, even when weightless (this obviously wasn't a weightless situation, but still) the grate still has a considerable mass and therefore inertia, which makes it more difficult to move than, say, a feather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

People keep pointing this out but we've seen magboots being used to keep people to the deck in zero gee for five seasons now.

I'm not sure what your point is. If the ships were accelerating when he died, he would have collapse to the floor because he would stop holding himself up and the floor would move up while he stayed at the speed he was going when he died. The fact that he's still standing up shows that he's in zero-g.