Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

dr_rat posted:

People always talking bad about poo poo creeks, but you know what, probably not going to be flowing all that fast.

...possibly better place to be stuck in without a paddle?

Plus in the summer you can walk back to the shore.
/Discworld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

Inflatable boats don't have permanent mounting for the outboard so you can take it off and deflate the boat. Whomever installed it last did not ensure it was tight enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGveyECsJCw&t=22s

Don’t you usually have a safety chain as well? so even if the mount fails like that it still doesn’t sink down to the deep.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Ak Gara posted:

Plus in the summer you can walk back to the shore.
/Discworld

Be aware, though, that it catches alight in the spring.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Varkk posted:

Don’t you usually have a safety chain as well? so even if the mount fails like that it still doesn’t sink down to the deep.

No, having a steel blender gyrating around the transom is unwise.

The cord she's left with appears to be a deadman switch in case she falls overboard.

I will be very surprised if they even attempt to retrieve it. Many years ago, a Johnson 175 belonging to one of my Dad's friends fell off the back of their tri-hull as they were motoring down a residential canal in his neighborhood in Stone Harbor, NJ. As big as it was, it took his son three weeks to find it . The canal wasn't 60-feet wide. Apparently, the motor kept running for a bit & it spun on down a ways. It was found about 75-yards from where it fell off - which was right by their back yard.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

PainterofCrap posted:

No, having a steel blender gyrating around the transom is unwise.

The cord she's left with appears to be a deadman switch in case she falls overboard.

I will be very surprised if they even attempt to retrieve it. Many years ago, a Johnson 175 belonging to one of my Dad's friends fell off the back of their tri-hull as they were motoring down a residential canal in his neighborhood in Stone Harbor, NJ. As big as it was, it took his son three weeks to find it . The canal wasn't 60-feet wide. Apparently, the motor kept running for a bit & it spun on down a ways. It was found about 75-yards from where it fell off - which was right by their back yard.

The trick is to not screw up. Check the mounts. They're just hand tightened. Hand tight works fine, just go easy. If you lose the motor, unless you can snag it with an anchor and a fish finder, good luck. You'll fail, but you can try. I've seen it work once. That was in 14 feet of water. In 400 feet it's not happening. You never have retention a chain on it. It'll just pull off the mount and go down. If it doesn't pull off the mount, it'll swamp you over the stern and then you lose the boat too and you're sitting 15 miles out in cold rear end water. You have oars for a reason on light craft. You'll live that way.

Just don't lose the motor. Pay attention, keep an eye on it. Those motors are heavy as crap and they're hard to lose. If you're worried, about it, you can add additional support but, if you need it, you need to ease up on how you're piloting.

I was a dock boy for a summer. We lost one motor. It was the other dock boy that swamped the boat. It was literally the fault of the pelicans. They pecked him enough that he swamped the boat to get away from them. We did retain the motor and boat but the motor was running when it swamped so it hydro-locked. Broke the crack. Not repairable.

Moral of the story, screw pelicans. They bite. gulls bite too, but, oddly enough, pelicans hurt more when they bite you. Both really like fish guts and they won't wait. I used to hook the gunnel on the gut raft so that I wouldn't swamp while getting bit. The other guy didn't. He ended up in the water with fish guts and had to swim back 300 yards, get a different boat, and tow back the dock boat that was swamped with a ruined engine.

Boss was cool about it. It was a $500 motor but we just made a joke about it. He was always cool when you screwed up. He was a good man. I hope he's still around. I haven't talked to him in over 20 years. He'd be about 80 now.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

gently caress SNEEP posted:

my family had a lovely motor boat when I was growing up that broke down every other time we took it out on the water. turns out most boaters are very happy to help you out and tow you if you're stuck! and we didn't even have any cute women on board..

Didn't you have any oars? Had a small boat with a little outboarded and it broke down (seaweed clogged the coolant intake) and we where 3-4km from home. Good workout.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/JkFq8X6.gifv

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Spatial posted:

:v: But how can this part fail?
:geno: It doesn't really matter how. We have to assume it can fail and check it as a matter of course.

"Why do I have to wear my steel-toed boots for this just because regs say so? I can't imagine ever needing them in this situation."
"How about we just assume every single OSHA reg is written in blood(because they are, if they say you need the boots for this, someone lost a toe or a foot doing this without them) and follow them to be on the safe side?"

"But if I don't do this task unsafely, I can't do it/can't do it in time, and my boss told me to!"
"That's his problem, not yours, now get the gently caress down while we figure out a way to do this that doesn't involve you balancing on a 45-degree angled slope while braced against a lift a meter and a half off the ground."

"Aw but I just needed to get up to the top shelf once! I didn't want to waste time getting a ladder/lift!"
"So you just decided to climb up the shelving units, huh. Get the gently caress down."

I also had to bollock a middle manager the other day for using the prongs of his forklift instead of getting a loving stepladder. Jesus loving Christ.

And I'm not even the loving safety rep.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

No. NO.

NOT THIS loving GIF AND A TEN PAGE loving DERAIL AGAIN!

gently caress. YOU.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Uh, my bad

https://i.imgur.com/2SROgvp.gifv

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Sucks for the occupant(s) of that other car that got rolled over

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

spookykid posted:

No. NO.

NOT THIS loving GIF AND A TEN PAGE loving DERAIL AGAIN!

gently caress. YOU.

motorcycle

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Kith posted:

motorcycle

car

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Person, woman, man, camera, TV

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

Person, woman, man, camera, TV

what if ...road?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

kick??????

dangerous

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Potrzebie posted:

what if ...road?

I guess I'll be angry at topheavy SUVs.

Are we done now?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
No, we must know the rest of the story:
https://signalscv.com/2018/08/car-kicking-biker-pleads-no-contest/

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

mostlygray posted:

I was a dock boy for a summer. We lost one motor. It was the other dock boy that swamped the boat. It was literally the fault of the pelicans. They pecked him enough that he swamped the boat to get away from them. We did retain the motor and boat but the motor was running when it swamped so it hydro-locked. Broke the crack. Not repairable.

I'll say I learned something from this post about boats. Learning how savage pelicans are was a bonus.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

car!

truck!!!!!

lawsuit!!!!!!!!

I'm glad that everyone more or less made it out okay. That could've been a lot worse.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I love that , the car driver 'lost control' after trying to kill the motorcyclist. Hell of a kick that bikers got on him clearly.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
It just goes to show the plasticity of human brains. When you're driving, you view an attack on your car as an attack on your person, since by virtue of controlling the car, your sense of self extends to the car as well.

It's sort of similar to that trick where they have you place you hand behind a screen and have a fake hand in front of the screen. The person then brushes the fingers of the hand (fake and real) in the same way for a while. Then takes out a hammer and smashes the fake hand. Even though you know logically it's fake, you retract your real hand as a response.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just loving line your windows with dashcams and let's move on from this.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

DelphiAegis posted:

It just goes to show the plasticity of human brains. When you're driving, you view an attack on your car as an attack on your person, since by virtue of controlling the car, your sense of self extends to the car as well.

It's sort of similar to that trick where they have you place you hand behind a screen and have a fake hand in front of the screen. The person then brushes the fingers of the hand (fake and real) in the same way for a while. Then takes out a hammer and smashes the fake hand. Even though you know logically it's fake, you retract your real hand as a response.

The way I see it is that cars break the part of your brain that recognizes things as people and unconsciously forces you to act sociably.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
lol narrow miss.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

The way I see it is that cars break the part of your brain that recognizes things as people and unconsciously forces you to act sociably.

Also true! But then again, many people are assholes with no regard for others, too. 'merica :911:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

mostlygray posted:

The trick is to not screw up.

What a strange trick

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Didn't you have any oars? Had a small boat with a little outboarded and it broke down (seaweed clogged the coolant intake) and we where 3-4km from home. Good workout.

yeah we had oars, or maybe just one. one time my dad got out and swam while towing the boat (jack lalanne style) towards shore until a boat came across us. this was all in the Puget Sound so we were never more than a mile away from shore.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Aramoro posted:

I love that , the car driver 'lost control' after trying to kill the motorcyclist. Hell of a kick that bikers got on him clearly.

They learned from the best
https://i.imgur.com/1Zfourb.mp4

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

The obvious culprit is society.

(This is my hard hat.)

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

mostlygray posted:

The trick is to not screw up. Check the mounts. They're just hand tightened. Hand tight works fine, just go easy. If you lose the motor, unless you can snag it with an anchor and a fish finder, good luck. You'll fail, but you can try. I've seen it work once. That was in 14 feet of water. In 400 feet it's not happening. You never have retention a chain on it. It'll just pull off the mount and go down. If it doesn't pull off the mount, it'll swamp you over the stern and then you lose the boat too and you're sitting 15 miles out in cold rear end water. You have oars for a reason on light craft. You'll live that way.

Just don't lose the motor. Pay attention, keep an eye on it. Those motors are heavy as crap and they're hard to lose. If you're worried, about it, you can add additional support but, if you need it, you need to ease up on how you're piloting.

Moral of the story, screw pelicans. They bite. gulls bite too, but, oddly enough, pelicans hurt more when they bite you. Both really like fish guts and they won't wait. I used to hook the gunnel on the gut raft so that I wouldn't swamp while getting bit. The other guy didn't. He ended up in the water with fish guts and had to swim back 300 yards, get a different boat, and tow back the dock boat that was swamped with a ruined engine.

Boss was cool about it. It was a $500 motor but we just made a joke about it. He was always cool when you screwed up. He was a good man. I hope he's still around. I haven't talked to him in over 20 years. He'd be about 80 now.

Years and years ago I was getting life guard certified at a boy scout camp. The instructor lost his glasses in about 15ft of muddy lake water with 0 visibility.

I would swim to the bottom, let my breath out, then lay down and make a mud angel on the lake floor. Then I'd scoot my rear end over and repeat until I had to come up for air. On the second trip my leg brushed against the glasses and was able to retrieve them.

I've also found an ancient outboard somebody lost will rooting around by a dock. Had to swim down and attach a rope to haul it up.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
edit wrong thread

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/wn018kp.mp4

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Is that warehouse refrigerated? Because those moves were fresh as gently caress.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://i.imgur.com/yqUSOEI.mp4

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Extremely worth unmuting

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
is that more or less dangerous than a leather bullwhip?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'd much rather be hit by the leather whip.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Way, way more dangerous. Imagine how much more mass is involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Pretty sure I fought that guy in Double Dragon.