Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Azathoth posted:

The Eve thread in the MMOHMO had a specific example of racism from an alliance member in some Discord, then double down on racism after someone called for them to apologise, then "for the good of the alliance, don't call them out now" from leadership, directly contradicting what you just said.

Are you talking about this?

Solus posted:

https://twitter.com/xiping69/status/1346564889704243201

I know our FC's have problems but i think going to your shared coalition discord and dropping racist memes about your chinest allies is definitely plumbing new depths

that's not us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?
Oh lmao yea the racist pitts guy is an enemy fc not a goon

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Oh gently caress, thought that was your alliance. Guess I hosed up. Legit sorry. Gonna duck out of the thread now with my tail between my legs.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Azathoth posted:

Oh gently caress, thought that was your alliance. Guess I hosed up. Legit sorry.

Nah it’s fine we have racisms pop up too, it’s legit a 50,000+ character alliance. I’m not gonna sit here and tell you I haven’t seen it, cause I have three times. One was booted nearly instantly for dropping the hard n and getting angry, the other two were sternly spoken to and warned, likely because they apologized and didn’t double down like the first guy. I’ve seen zero repeat offenders so whatever the imperium does seems to do ok.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Warrior Princess posted:

Nah it’s fine we have racisms pop up too, it’s legit a 50,000+ character alliance. I’m not gonna sit here and tell you I haven’t seen it, cause I have three times. One was booted nearly instantly for dropping the hard n and getting angry, the other two were sternly spoken to and warned, likely because they apologized and didn’t double down like the first guy. I’ve seen zero repeat offenders so whatever the imperium does seems to do ok.

Legit good to hear. That's how it should be handled.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Azathoth posted:

Legit good to hear. That's how it should be handled.

OTOH you're correct that aspergers jokes are broadly acceptable, but with eve that's a little bit like asking whether Black people should use the n word.

It's community of people who are engrossed by spreadsheets, the jokes are more about the nature of the game and how do we tolerate it, rather than a 4chan style "reee get out normie" thing.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Why did the attackers not go somewhere else to log off when they knew the server was going to go down? Why did they plan their big attack to be right before it was going to be reset in the first place instead of right after it came back up?

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
the fight started like 14 hours before downtime

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Why did they plan their big attack to be right before it was going to be reset in the first place instead of right after it came back up?
The server goes down every day at the same time, so they can dump data and clean up their database. And the fight started many hours before downtime. But a fun thing about eve is that if you're in a pvp fight, you can't just log off whenever you want. You can quit the client, but your ship stays in space for 15 minutes after the last time you shot at or were shot by someone. So getting out of a fight can be difficult.

So the fight over the keepstar happened at like 10pm, and then the fight kept going until 10am the next day.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Why did the attackers not go somewhere else to log off when they knew the server was going to go down?

Because they are dumb and didn't think ahead.

Also they probably were expecting us to blink first -- our ships could have escaped by docking up, which has a much shorter pvp timer and one that only cares about shooting rather than getting shot, so it's under your own control. They got overconfident.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
*edit*

Removed post cuz its been answered and the point was already made by others

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

I was in Goonfleet a looong time ago, back when BoB built the games first Titan, I got doomsday'd by it. When Goonswarm finally cornered it the kill made the news (it was the first thousand+ dollar pretend spaceship to go boom) and I really wish I had an untruncated copy of the killmail because my ship got popped almost immediately, but the battlefield was so crowded that everyone had 'pods and newbie ships' turned off on their huds, so I managed to fit a tiny 75mm cannon on a newbie ship and spent a half hour orbiting the giant space dildo plinking away, unnoticed by all.

I played EVE for several months without dying, but the day I joined Goonfleet I died 3 times and had fun for the first time. EVE is boring as hell, but Goonfleet wasn't, It was so much loving fun being the villains, this unstoppable rampaging horde of barbarian evil.

Once me and a squad of other alcoholics got lost on patrol and wound up in some distant out-of-the-way system where we stumbled across a French corporation that was peacefully mining. Their faction was allied with Goonswarm but it didn't matter, the moment they saw us they were like "Mais non! Les goons!" and disconnected in terror. It took a few minutes to find a francophone to translate on local chat that we were friendlies and btw have you seen any bad guys, but they'd all logged off for the night because goons were the bad guys in EVE.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

That's some real strong 15th-17th century European mercenary vibes

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
So which side of this is Israel and which is Palestine?

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Oh, someone a few pages back was asking about old Goonfleet recruitment videos, check out Stahlregen's monthlies from 2006-7. They were fantastic propaganda videos with self-shot footage and good music. They somehow managed to make EVE look exciting and fun to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDr182CXeL0

edit:

Outrail posted:

So which side of this is Israel and which is Palestine?

I haven't played for 12 years, but Goonfleet would be the side that bulldozers neighborhoods.

Syd Midnight fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 20, 2021

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I really was hoping Goons would get displaced again.

It's always a funny reason like someone didn't pay the bills, or a joke got made about a dude getting blasted off his scooter by a jeep.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Goons dropping SOV and getting evicted (?) because of forgotten bills is the most goonfleet thing ever and it is received with civic pride rather than shame.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

I joined late in the saga to kick BOB out of Delve the first time and can confirm 100% that losing sov because of not understanding wallet divisions was the greatest gaming experience I've ever had. We were all relaxing a little bit after major victories and got caught with our pants around our ankles enjoying our own farts when suddenly pretty much every system was being contested at once and a mad evacuation was ordered.

Good times.

:allears:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Back in the day when I was just chillin inside JU- and reading thecrate getting supermad in local because people kept bumping his Bhaalgorn, if a dumdum got tackled in a faction fitted carrier or equally expensive ship we laughed at them but if a:shobon: newbie got tackled people cynoed in from rear end end of nowhere to help.

Good times, indeed.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Galewolf posted:

Back in the day when I was just chillin inside JU- and reading thecrate getting supermad in local because people kept bumping his Bhaalgorn, if a dumdum got tackled in a faction fitted carrier or equally expensive ship we laughed at them but if a:shobon: newbie got tackled people cynoed in from rear end end of nowhere to help.

Good times, indeed.

They were the best of times.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Galewolf posted:

Good times, indeed.

Can you explain this post for a five year old? Never played eve but like hearing about it.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Outrail posted:

Can you explain this post for a five year old? Never played eve but like hearing about it.

Old farts who do dumb things got laughed at, but people moved heavens and earth to save newbies.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If a veteran player got in trouble in his megamillions ship, people would watch and laugh because he did something he should have known better than to do. If a newbie got bullied, the bully would quickly be dealing with multiple pissed goons.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Additionally, JU- was a system close to our main staging system, used by Theta Squad (industrialist, bittervets with more carriers than sense, and idiots like myself who just liked ratting [farming NPC enemies]).

Cynos were signals in space. Think an emergency flaregun-style thing. Ships with jump drives were able to see that signal and throw themselves toward it. Ships with jump bridges (capital ships) would be able to launch entire fleets of sub-capital ships over to that cyno.

So to cyno in from the rear end-end of nowhere is to burn a shitload of resources, sign on a multitude of accounts, and mobilize a small army to try to save some guy that will be on his last breath if you manage to see him alive at all.

A Bhaalgorn is a stupid expensive, super rare, faction battleship that looks like a dildo with poo and blood all over it.

Did I miss anything?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Nope, I think that covers it.

Not sure how a ship gets so rusty in space tho.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
It's blood. The blood raiders spray the blood of dead slaves on their ships.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
kind of dumb to be a blood worshiper in a universe where you can clone as much blood as you want out of a machine

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

It's blood. The blood raiders spray the blood of dead slaves on their ships.

Which is hilarious because that ship is like a kilometer long so that is a lot of loving blood.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Rutibex posted:

kind of dumb to be a blood worshiper in a universe where you can clone as much blood as you want out of a machine

Oh please all the blood raiders will laugh at you and roll eyes if they catch you spraying synthetic blood on your spaceship :rolleyes:

If you want to be in the blood clan you better be organic and free range

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Outrail posted:

Oh, sorry about that now that I read it again it sounds like utter nonsense that doesn't mean anything to a non EVE / non Goonfleet member. The posters before me explained it pretty well.

Well, instead of working now I effort expand on what I meant and why other Eve goons say it was the best time:

JU- was a system in the Deklein region where goons were squatting by the time (we were established when I joined in 2011, but I was playing EVE way before that) with an impeccable logistics and infrastructure made pubbies green with envy.
By logistics I mean the thousands of man-hours dumped into training characters that can use Jump Freighters (massive hauling ships that can carry shitloads of stuff alone, but it takes forever to train and purchase one) or have chains of cyno (cynosural field generator, a ship module that can open portal in other systems so you can jump without using gates and not get blasted to a gate camp/roaming gang) portal to safe space.

This system allowed 3000 goons (?) and assorted pubbie allies (lmao @ Circle of Two) sell their endless stream of riches from basic loot to hyper-expensive space goo that Goons had a chokehold on supply that made pubbies cried over forums endlessly.

JU-OWQ (dubbed as JU-) was the home of the Theta squad, arguably the best and the worst squad (group of goons and allies regardless of their corporation status) at the same time, focusing on making money in space (apparently there was a time Theta was a pvp SIG but lol). From poor :shobon: newbies like me (imagine an English child holding a wooden bowl to get a three-day-old porridge in a Victorian textile factory) to unspeakably rich (for that time) bitter veterans JU- had a good population of regulars.

This was due to JU- being really close to the staging system VFK and the system-wide upgrades let juicy Guristas anomalies spawn (basically instances that you do pve). It was a good ecosystem, working-class goons with basic but effective ships and 1%er goons with carriers (capital ships that can clean entire instances under 10 minutes) and expensive Tech 3 (modular ships that required even rare space goo from wormholes) cruisers shoot the ships, newbies that can't fly ratting (PVE) ships yet were gifted haulers and Noctis salvage ships so they can clear the ship wrecks and loot.

This richness, of course, attracted a lot of tryhard space pirates that camp the system to tag a dumb goon with more money than common sense (practically, all of us) and have a payday. You see, in Eve everything is player made (except some basic modules) and if you get blown up, you randomly drop whatever was on your ship so the stakes are higher than your regular MMO. Some people had much more expensive stuff for hilariously marginal improvement over stock Tech 2 or even meta modules for ~*efficiency*~ that are more expensive than the ship they are flying.

The common goon consensus during that time was to not be a dumdum and not fit your ship with super rare space dungeon modules that gave you like maybe a 2-minute edge over perfectly working stock modules that are a hundred times less expensive. Goons and pubbie allies, of course never listed to this common sense and undocked in their golden gamer chariots to do ratting in JU- which was 24/7 camped by cloaked scouts.

It wasn't rare that someone with an expensive ship like that got jumped on by a pirate or enemy by using Temporal Web (dubbed as web, slowed your ship to halt) and Warp Disruptor (prevented your ship from hyperspacing the gently caress out) which is called "getting tackled and pointed (reduced warp capacity by one point so you cant warp out), respectively". It was usually too much effort/dangerous to gather enough people in time to save some goon or ally that shouldn't be ratting in an unobtanium plated space Tesla because they would usually die in minutes (if the target is especially juicy, the baddies would bridge their support fleets or capitals) so we laughed at the cries of people in local chat yelling "I AM TACKELD PLS HAPL" but if the same thing happened to a :shobon: newbie in his new Drake battlecruiser people would go :ducksiren: and jump into their PVP ships and in some cases even bridge in support from the systems to "save" the newbie.

It wasn't, of course, about saving the ship or anything because the poor newbie who got killed would be showered in isk before his clone awakened. It was about, probably, the newbies were the lifeblood of the fun and it absolutely sucks to get jumped on and got lit up when you first undocked from a station in your new ship. Also it was fun to have actual combat because most of the time you'd braindead clicked f1 and watched movies on windowed mode (probably one of the most common causes of goon deaths, too).

Well, that was from my quite hazy memory of like 10 years ago, and if I'm wrong or misremembering things, welp. By the way, I realized that I was making Eve sound like much more fun than it actually is (which is the point of this thread, I imagine).

Edit: Oh, also, undocking from station in a cheap ship when a carrier or deadspace fit ratting ship is going down and shooting your own allies before they die to get in on the killmail was a time honored tradition.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 21, 2021

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

SeductiveReasoning posted:

Which is hilarious because that ship is like a kilometer long so that is a lot of loving blood.

From the EveUni wiki:

"The Blood Raider Covenant began as part of the Sani Sabik, an ancient Amarrian religious cult. Over time their practices grew more fanatical, they began draining victims of their blood to use in Blood Raider rituals. The Blood Raiders believe that the blood of a cloned body is more pure than other bodies; as a result they began seeking out and attacking unaware pod pilots."

It's the blood of immortals, no hard feelings.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Wait is Stimpire from Eve?

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Colonel Cancer posted:

Oh please all the blood raiders will laugh at you and roll eyes if they catch you spraying synthetic blood on your spaceship :rolleyes:

If you want to be in the blood clan you better be organic and free range

this is canon

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So anything going on in that war? Is the hellcamp still going? Has enemy morale improved from the beatings?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Cancer posted:

Wait is Stimpire from Eve?

yes

quote:

A much-feared rogue state that occupies the Stain region, Sansha's Nation was founded over a hundred years ago by Sansha Kuvakei. Sansha wished to create a utopian society based around the exploitation of brainwashed slave labor and a small, cybernetically enhanced elite. Nation, as it is called by its citizens, was destroyed by a CONCORD-led coalition of the empires in YC 37, leaving only remnants behind. However, the survivors managed to band together and reemerged in YC105, gradually restoring its power and growing until launching a series of invasions into empire space in YC112.

History
Sansha's Nation began forming in 5 YC, shortly after the establishment of CONCORD, by a Caldari industrial mogul named Sansha Kuvakei. Kuvakei had inherited much of his fortune, his family having grown wealthy during the Gallente-Caldari War through arms manufacturing. He saw the unfettered colonization of space by the empires as a grand opportunity and purchased several pockets of space across New Eden, including a core group in the region that would later be known as Stain.

Within these pockets, Sansha began his own armaments programs independent of the empires, building up a small army of his own. Along with the military buildup, Sansha preached several utopian ideas, such as his dream of a nation ruled by the intellectual elite. He quickly gained followers, while the mining and trading done within his empire brought him wide prestige. Sansha's Nation, as it was being called by outsiders, came to the forefront of galactic politics.

The praise only fueled Kuvakei's delusions of grandeur and megalomania, leading him to begin exploring ever stranger ideas. Believing that the world would be better off under his rule, with his chosen elite free of all burdens, he sought to create a loyal army of workers and soldiers. However, he realized that drones would lack creativity and adaptability. His solution was to join Jove capsuleer technology with existing brain implants to create willing slaves. Before he could perfect this technology, however, he needed test subjects.

Initially, Kuvakei experimented on Minmatar slaves obtained from the Amarr Empire, which provided them with the belief that new methods of slave control were being developed. In reality, Kuvakei was turning them into an utterly loyal army of zombie-like people who obeyed his every command. Not only were these True Slaves, as he dubbed them, used for menial labors, they also were guards and soldiers, composing the entirety of the Nation's naval forces.

With his army of True Slaves providing for their every need, the scientists, philosophers, and other intellectuals became the Nation's True Citizens. While some were left unaware of the true extent of Sansha's crimes, they nonetheless spread the good word of Nation, bringing more followers into the realm. Soon, the Nation spanned several regions, rivaling each of the empires in might.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Meanwhile the angels are just mafioso types, serpentis are a drug cartel, and the guristas are anti-corporatist freedom fighters.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I'm kinda missing the old ship aesthetics, like irregular shapes and such. Pouring a 40 for my homies antenna sandwich Scorpion and old Moa.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I want a ship that's just a big pile of cargo containers haphazardly welded together.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

I want a ship that's just a big pile of cargo containers haphazardly welded together.

May I interest you in the ribbed space dildo, Iteron Mark V? https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Iteron_Mark_V

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Rooks and Kings always did the best eve videos that are mostly understandable even if you don't play eve. They even have production value! They don't get involved in the big bloc warfare stuff though and stick to small gang ~elite pvp~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Galewolf posted:

May I interest you in the ribbed space dildo, Iteron Mark V? https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Iteron_Mark_V

Too symmetrical, insufficiently redneck.