Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

indigi posted:

Paul Bettany is pretty cool tbh. shame he’s being wasted in MCU nonsense

Good news he's in star wars han solo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
lots of fantastic actors do poo poo roles so they can afford to take on interesting roles on films with no budget or real earning potential so i can't be too mad about that sort of thing

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

not in love with wandavision since old sitcoms aren't my things, but it seems like bettany is having a lot of fun hamming it the gently caress up

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

What's really funny is thumbing through the Letterboxd reviews for Wandavision (which is a series, not a movie, lmao, letterboxd is for movie reviews) is just how loving desperate they are to stick it to "Marvel haters." Like just picking a few quotes at random here:

It's really indicative how identical this poo poo feels to the reaction around Biden's inauguration. A discourse of dominance of those on the wrong team, celebrating a victory for corporate America above all else, and imagining an elaborate fiction of a future that will never come to pass. It's really this sort of horrific mirror of the neoliberal superculture that the political ruling class is trying to ram down everyone's throat, and what your expected behaviors and reactions are, and it's interesting to see this poo poo play out over the next 4 years as the contradictions heighten to levels never thought possible.

The Biden inauguration was the Avengers Endgame for 5 years of Trump obsessed media coverage

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

i'm on the case.

well, does he??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Speaking of A Knight's Tale, does anyone remember the short-lived series Roar? It has been entirely memory-holed. It was basically Hercules or Xena but super christian. Starring a very young Heath Ledger. It was canceled after eight episodes.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Speaking of A Knight's Tale, does anyone remember the short-lived series Roar? It has been entirely memory-holed. It was basically Hercules or Xena but super christian. Starring a very young Heath Ledger. It was canceled after eight episodes.

Yes, legendarily bad from memory. And clearly hoping to mop up some of the Hercules audience, but hamstrung by a low budget and bad scripts.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Atrocious Joe posted:

well, does he??

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I just genuinely like A Knight's tale. The part where he jousts against the other guy whose concealing his identity, and it ends up being a good move, I dunno, pulls my heartstrings in a way lots of movies don't. The villain is pretty good too.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

well, does he??

he has more children than every other superhero

also wanda has a psychotic break where she rewrites reality because her kids died which I imagine is the big twist in the show

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Bro Dad posted:

he has more children than every other superhero

also wanda has a psychotic break where she rewrites reality because her kids died which I imagine is the big twist in the show

the audience for that show does not strike me as one which will like "crazy wanda rewrites reality" as a plot device

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

the audience for that show does not strike me as one which will like "crazy wanda rewrites reality" as a plot device

she’s living in and manipulating an ominously unreal sitcom world with her dead husband, crazy wanda rewrites reality is basically the premise of the show

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

double negative posted:

she’s living in and manipulating an ominously unreal sitcom world with her dead husband, crazy wanda rewrites reality is basically the premise of the show

would this necessarily be clear to an audience unfamiliar with the, um, interesting history of the character in comics?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

lots of fantastic actors do poo poo roles so they can afford to take on interesting roles on films with no budget or real earning potential so i can't be too mad about that sort of thing

and who would honestly turn down disney money?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

would this necessarily be clear to an audience unfamiliar with the, um, interesting history of the character in comics?

cant get mad about her genociding all the mutants if they don't exist in the mcu

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

obviously the extent of the rewriting is unclear, but i'd figure most people who have watched the mcu stuff or promotional material leading into the show get the sense that wanda is extremely traumatized and what's going on is rooted in that. the show drops a bunch of easter eggs to drive the point home, but anyone who catches that stuff already knows the deal.

they're clearly trying something different with this show, but i expect it to revert back to the standard mcu big climactic battle w/ cameos + tie in to related property dr. strange at the end

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Bro Dad posted:

cant get mad about her genociding all the mutants if they don't exist in the mcu

watch this somehow be how they introduce them

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Ardent Communist posted:

I just genuinely like A Knight's tale. The part where he jousts against the other guy whose concealing his identity, and it ends up being a good move, I dunno, pulls my heartstrings in a way lots of movies don't. The villain is pretty good too.

it loving rules

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

watch this somehow be how they introduce them

yep

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I sometimes wonder what would happen to a guy like MovieBob if he was forced to watch and review a film like Funny Games (2007), Elephant (1989), or Force Majeure (2014). Not even something completely weird and disturbing like The Bunny Game (2010), Mordrum (2003) or Salò (1975). Just any film that has enough meat and ambiguity to it that he wouldn't be able to dismiss it outright, but neither would he be able to fall back of lazy cliches.

hed just start saying that the new marvel movie is as mature and serious as those movies

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Knight's Tale is a good movie, straight up

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Knight's Tale is a good movie, straight up

The Knight's Tale shows a path that was not taken in the 21st century. All "historical" movies have to be grimdark and portray the current scholarly orthodoxy as the absolute truth. Nobody seems to understand how much bullshit history actually is. Records from every era are spotty at best. The consensus is always changing. Your historical movie should have some loving fun with the idea of the past it shouldn't be some joyless attempt at what you think is a documentary.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

There's a bullshit idea that because the future is so unknowable, the past must be the reverse of the coin, absolutely understandable. However, this isn't true. Memory is mutable. Sources always have problems. The real truth is that we're fumbling around in the dark with a tiny flashlight that illumines one spot at a time, the present. 21st century pop culture in no way reflects that.

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Knight's Tale shows a path that was not taken in the 21st century. All "historical" movies have to be grimdark and portray the current scholarly orthodoxy as the absolute truth. Nobody seems to understand how much bullshit history actually is. Records from every era are spotty at best. The consensus is always changing. Your historical movie should have some loving fun with the idea of the past it shouldn't be some joyless attempt at what you think is a documentary.

This is half the reason I love Gladiator. :black101:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

https://youtu.be/GM6-ZdK_Agg

a strong documentary of the third servile war

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

What's really funny is thumbing through the Letterboxd reviews for Wandavision (which is a series, not a movie, lmao, letterboxd is for movie reviews) is just how loving desperate they are to stick it to "Marvel haters." Like just picking a few quotes at random here:

It's really indicative how identical this poo poo feels to the reaction around Biden's inauguration. A discourse of dominance of those on the wrong team, celebrating a victory for corporate America above all else, and imagining an elaborate fiction of a future that will never come to pass. It's really this sort of horrific mirror of the neoliberal superculture that the political ruling class is trying to ram down everyone's throat, and what your expected behaviors and reactions are, and it's interesting to see this poo poo play out over the next 4 years as the contradictions heighten to levels never thought possible.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You seriously underestimate their ability to fall back on lazy cliches and dismiss anything not pandering to them, or in MovieBob's case likely take away the most horrible possible message from it

Like that one guy in CineD who watched Dredd as part of a challenge and unironically said 'Every criminal Dredd kills is a cycle of violence ended'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8LAMQ8U27c

This is Moviebob's top ten movie list of 2017. One superhero movie and one star wars movie. The rest are actual movies. However, Moviebob, like many film critics nowadays, isn't really a film critic anymore. He's a Disney PR guy. So he can't hype these real movies he actually enjoys as much as the Marvel stuff, because that's not his job.

Really, most of these critics have sold their soul for status (god knows they're barely getting paid for it) and they know it, they just didn't realize their respectability was part of the bargain too, and nothing is more valuable to the critic class then having their opinions respected. And now everyone has figured it out, and nobody respects them, because at the end of the day who respects a PR guy, especially one who shills themselves for next to nothing.

They used to be a doorman in a fancy uniform, but now their uniform has been changed red polo shirt and a pair of tan khaki pants, and people are starting to laugh at them.

Oh, but they will have the last laugh. Any day now, they will have the last laugh! Yes they will, Yes they will...

Clip-On Fedora has issued a correction as of 05:28 on Jan 22, 2021

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Actually good "historical" movies and TV shows:

1. Downfall
2. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
3. Master and Commander
4. The Death of Stalin
5. Ride with the Devil
6. Rome

Teriyaki Hairpiece has issued a correction as of 05:37 on Jan 22, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

how does it take him a full two minutes to get to the actual movies despite his already talking way too fast youre a film critic moviebob nobody gives a poo poo about your personal life

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ardent Communist posted:

same. i also genuinely like the blacksmith's love letter anecdote it's v good.

back to vision's dick. did tony stark design ultron's hog as well?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i put way too much thought into that question and remembered that ultron was the one who made the body not tony stark

why ultron would want his robot body to have a fully functional penis i have no idea

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Ultron is suffering from body dysmorphia. It's actually pretty tragic.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

quote:

Michael Caine, who is an Oscar winner once said of his role in Jaws 4: The Revenge (1987) that "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.”

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

King poo poo.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Mira Furlan passed away :(

She played Ambassador Delenn on Babylon 5

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I don't care for any of the Disney shows, but I still want a Marvel vs. Capcom movie. I'm sorry.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/top10films/status/1352735262200242179?s=20

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suxKt2wspg8
I don't mind this pop culture.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Mira Furlan passed away :(

She played Ambassador Delenn on Babylon 5

Yeah, so many actors and crew from that show died. :smith:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

I don't care for any of the Disney shows, but I still want a Marvel vs. Capcom movie. I'm sorry.

Joss Whedon and Paul W.S. Anderson finally team up for some hardcore female empowerment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
All the studios looking for an expanded universe while Soulcalibur/Tekkens sitting right there!!!