Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Owling Howl posted:

You could be 100% right but it's pretty normal for HR departments to hire and fire people without a bunch of VPs getting involved. Why even have an HR department if they're going to run that stuff by upper management?

I've never worked for a company as big as GitHub, but I'd imagine that anything involving political poo poo would probably go fairly far up the chain. Anywhere I've worked at it would go to the CEO for sure (that's less than 200 people though, so call it maybe either a director or VP at GitHub).

Besides that, I've never heard of HR unilaterally firing someone without at the very least that employee's manager being involved / signing off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

quote:

The warning sparked criticism from a colleague who took offense at the use of the word “Nazi” and prompted GitHub’s HR team to reprimand the Jewish employee. Two days later, he was fired.

Seems like some Bob Chudly coworker took offense to him sayin the rioters were nazi

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Yeah the leaked slack chats absolutely had some piss bitch “you’re the real I tolerant one for labeling these patriots nazis” responses and I would very much not like to come back to be their coworker

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Trevor Hale posted:

Yeah the leaked slack chats absolutely had some piss bitch “you’re the real I tolerant one for labeling these patriots nazis” responses and I would very much not like to come back to be their coworker

someone shows up wearing 6mwe merch and all of a sudden we're somehow nazis? - our tech overlords

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The Revolution will not be televised, but the coup will have bloggers, podcasters, selfie sticks, and 4K video. "I wanna thank all my supporters on Patreon that got me here!" :v:

https://projects.propublica.org/parler-capitol-videos/

They scraped Parler of every video upload, and there's nearly to-the-minute, unfiltered civilian coverage of the entire thing. Chronological order, with three filters based on proximity to the Capitol building.

I don't know what's more surreal; that there's so much footage, or that it's all in crystal clear HD...

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Lmao trump pardoned Anthony Levandowski

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just saw that too. Did he and Trump have any connection or is this just loser Trump being lovely by pardoning a high-profile crime that made news during his term?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

He's a world class grifter. Game recognize game.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

NaanViolence posted:

I just saw that too. Did he and Trump have any connection or is this just loser Trump being lovely by pardoning a high-profile crime that made news during his term?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/02/travis-kalanick-delete-uber-leaves-trump-council

Same deal as him pardoning the Blackwater people because of his relationship Betsy DeVos

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Was there a Trump presidential portrait?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Jose Valasquez posted:

He's a world class grifter. Game recognize game.

The fact that the trump org was advertising pardons for bit donations says it all. These people have enough $ on the outside or in the caymans to self pardon .

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Neo Rasa posted:

They often aren't painted until late in the President's second term, or even afterward.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Put it over the toilet like Gaius Baltar

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Mugshot from New York state prison

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Neo Rasa posted:

Ben Garrison just got diamond hard for some reason.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

FilthyImp posted:

Ben Garrison just got diamond hard for some reason.

Nah it's the drawing someone did of an extremely muscular Marx, this is normal.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

xtal posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/02/travis-kalanick-delete-uber-leaves-trump-council

Same deal as him pardoning the Blackwater people because of his relationship Betsy DeVos

That's now why he pardoned them - it's because Peter Hegseth of Fox and Friends has a hard-on for war criminals and calls Trump a lot (and it was Trump's favorite show). He's the one that got the others pardoned before - the Nisour Square murderers have been one of his pet things for awhile. He had the hosts of a podcast claiming they did nothing wrong on Fox and Friends before.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/adamconover/status/1352393270215778306

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Neo Rasa posted:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

you can't cut out lincoln cmon

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/HongKongHermit/status/1352348572474339338?s=19

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

SiriusXM had a similar, though not as problematic issue. Because of COVID, their radio shows are being hosted from home using some sort of remote broadcasting box. Some of these more permanent units had a login interface that used Flash, which caused them to stop functioning at the same time. Several radio shows were broadcasting with Zoom audio that day until they could figure out a work around. I guess they just assumed Flash would still work after the kill date, and just wouldn’t receive future updates.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
wait was the EoL an actual kill date?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

PhazonLink posted:

Yeah it's a pain in the rear end for those of us admins of other agencies who are on old versions of vSphere and still rely on the VMWare flash client. You can try adjusting a mms.cfg file or use the thick client for 6.0 and before but if you try to access it now, you just get a giant button that leads you to the flash page where they say they will not have downloads any more.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Speaking of media, I was mostly idly wondering why video streaming is such a disaster compared to music streaming. Or put another way, I can understand why video streaming is poo poo, but why is there actual competition in music streaming services and specifically why do most artists license to as many services as possible whereas TV/movies go to the highest bidder in an increasingly fragmented and yet still uncompetitive market?

This article from a few years ago argues that movies have windowing for their rights, where they spend a few months in theaters, DVD/blu-ray, then streaming/TV, and sometimes back to discs exclusively. That doesn't seem as relevant anymore since theaters are largely dead or dying.

I get that TV networks and film studios have been consolidating into massive empires where they are incentivized to start their own streaming services and not license their IP to competitors, but why isn't that happening with music? I suppose Warner and Universal music are no longer owned by their American conglomerates, so there's that, but why don't (or can't) audio streaming services get more exclusive licenses and gently caress up streaming for everyone like the video industry has?

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 22, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

eXXon posted:

but why aren't (or can't) audio streaming services get more exclusive licenses and gently caress up streaming for everyone like the video industry has?

They do in Canada! :smithicide:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Music is cheap enough that no one's going to subscribe to a service just for one thing they like, unless you also make it unavailable to purchase outright, but people might consider a streaming video service on the basis of only a few exclusives. Especially in consideration of the fact that if you really like a certain song or artist, you're reasonably likely to just buy their stuff anyway and avoid the streaming service in order to support them and have it more reliably. Or at least that's what I do.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Also you might listen to a song dozens of times but watch a show only once.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

Many business owners are frustrated that the video surveillance system they purchased does not prevent crime- it merely records it. What is the point of spending all that money only to get videos of people stealing your property? We can turn that investment into a real-time, interactive security system.

Blue Eye has a unique approach to providing security for your site. We use our proprietary Blackbox technology to turn your existing camera network into an active security system. Your cameras become the sensors and our AI software embedded inside the Blackbox watches the property for threats while you are away. Once detected, an alarm is immediately sent to our command center where our highly trained Video Surveillance Technicians (VSTs) take over. Now a live person sees the property in real time to assess the situation and take appropriate action. Appropriate responses may be a verbal warning over the loudspeaker, calling the police or welcoming a resident home for the evening. Our approach of using both artificial and human intelligence allows for a safe and comfortable solution and all of this is done utilizing the cameras you already have installed.

https://blueeyedefense.com/our-solution/

It's ai powered cameras that alert minimum wage drones to shout at you and/or call the cops to come kill you

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

It's ai powered cameras that alert minimum wage drones to shout at you and/or call the cops to come kill you

Stop! Or I'll say stop again!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Motronic posted:

Stop! Or I'll say stop again!

"Officers' statements in the shooting indicated that the suspect already ignored commands to stop issued by the remote camera system, and were therefore justified in opening fire upon arrival at the scene without additional verbal warnings"

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

PhazonLink posted:

if they hadn't put the bullet in its head people would just ignore it and then Adobe might get guilted into an extra security update by the media like Microsoft with XP

now you have to actively pirate a copy of flash to make it work so it's extra not Adobe's fault

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

Not quite. It's an analytics black box. So it's an add-on to existing systems rather than a replacement. It gets copies of the video feeds and run them through an separate bit of hardware. The thing is though that people detection and technical detection analytics aren't super rare or expensive analytics. It's just that they take time to set up and configure. And the monitoring station platforms like Immix have support being alerted off of analytics rather than motion detection. Taking their figure of half the price of a guard per month, and assuming they were lazy and just did an hourly rate of $15 x 40, that makes them pricier then video verification added to an existing system and in the ballpark of existing systems.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Communist Thoughts posted:

you can't cut out lincoln cmon

My bad.

Nuggan posted:

Ok, I did it

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

eXXon posted:

Speaking of media, I was mostly idly wondering why video streaming is such a disaster compared to music streaming. Or put another way, I can understand why video streaming is poo poo, but why is there actual competition in music streaming services and specifically why do most artists license to as many services as possible whereas TV/movies go to the highest bidder in an increasingly fragmented and yet still uncompetitive market?

This article from a few years ago argues that movies have windowing for their rights, where they spend a few months in theaters, DVD/blu-ray, then streaming/TV, and sometimes back to discs exclusively. That doesn't seem as relevant anymore since theaters are largely dead or dying.

I get that TV networks and film studios have been consolidating into massive empires where they are incentivized to start their own streaming services and not license their IP to competitors, but why isn't that happening with music? I suppose Warner and Universal music are no longer owned by their American conglomerates, so there's that, but why don't (or can't) audio streaming services get more exclusive licenses and gently caress up streaming for everyone like the video industry has?

Possibly banned by consent decrees from the 1940s.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Thomamelas posted:

Not quite. It's an analytics black box. So it's an add-on to existing systems rather than a replacement. It gets copies of the video feeds and run them through an separate bit of hardware. The thing is though that people detection and technical detection analytics aren't super rare or expensive analytics. It's just that they take time to set up and configure. And the monitoring station platforms like Immix have support being alerted off of analytics rather than motion detection. Taking their figure of half the price of a guard per month, and assuming they were lazy and just did an hourly rate of $15 x 40, that makes them pricier then video verification added to an existing system and in the ballpark of existing systems.

It's a service that includes both the analytics package and minimum wage drones in a call center somewhere that will shout at CRIMINAL DETECTED for you when the ai tells them to and calls the cops if the bad man won't go away.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Another thing with audio was probably that piracy was so much more widespread on audio vs. video when most of the streaming sites were starting up, which meant that any legit platform for delivering audio needed to compete with a black market where everything was readily available, simple to download, and could easily be used by commercial tools (Legit companies weren't necessarily giving you the tools to download pirated audio, but they were providing MP3 players, CD burners, etc. that would happily work with whatever pirated audio you had).

Video is comparatively trickier to pirate - there's tools like Popcorn time, but they aren't as widespread as something like Napster was, and the average person is probably going to have a harder time getting a pirated video to show up on their nice TV, which means the bar for what is worth paying for is lower.

Mister Facetious posted:

They do in Canada! :smithicide:

For audio? I can get almost anything commercially released with Spotify.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Spacewolf posted:

Possibly banned by consent decrees from the 1940s.

Also music has more a unified compulsory licensing program making it easier to get access all music instead of just music from one label.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Music got pwned by piracy on a level that haunts the dreams of every media exec. Imagine if the successor format to VHS was instead this little box that everyone carried in their pocket that had thousands of movies on it, but the movies on everyone's little box were almost all pirated. That's what happened to the music industry. The files were small and it was basically impossible to stop them from getting passed around without destroying the internet, which at the time was just a massive gravy train. Watching Capital kinda shrug their shoulders was a hell of a thing. These streaming services are basically the music industry waving the white flag on selling us individual tracks or albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/KimZetter/status/1352681107804676096

:dogbutton: