Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Thanks for the link. Holy poo poo. Reading that has changed my opinion about Paris Hilton completely. I had never heard that she had gone through that.

Between here and the 2 heirs to the Duke fortunes who were basically tortured on a regular basis and had the police ignore them and drop them off with their abusive parents when they tried to report it from how badly they were treated the more you find out about children of extreme wealth the more them being weird as gently caress makes perfect sense.

Like the only way anyone inherits a wealth of 8-figures is to suffer through life shattering emotional, physical, and mental abuse on a regular basis their entire childhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

well why not posted:

Gordon will abuse anyone who is dishonest or lazy, but is really kind to kids and amateurs. His UK show will have him go play football/soccer with kitchen staff to get to know them, or help them out in small ways. The US shows cut all that and focus on him cracking down on staff. He expects a lot of staff as many chefs do.

The UK show also tends to have more chefs/owners who have potential but are making some key mistakes while the US show seems to go out of its way to find people who literally have no idea how any of this is supposed to work. There's also a heavy bias towards finding Family Drama so everyone gets all weepy and confrontational and honestly, I'm just interested in the food.

(Granted, sometimes this approach does yield gold like Amy's Baking Company.)

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Maxwell Lord posted:

The major problem with American reality shows is all the padding. Everything needs 8 recaps and COMING UP segments and part of this is because of commercials but also they seem to assume the audience are really, really stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFtl2XXnUc

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think Ramsey would be fun to hang out with for a day or something. Just sit there chatting about sports and food and see how many times you can make him do his silly laugh. Just kinda seems like a good guy.

Absolutely, hell, as a home cook, it would probably be a blast to cook with him. The segments on MasterChef when he's showing everyone how to make things is just a joy.

He'd probably call me "big boy" :3:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Pead posted:

They are still doing them but its really stale at this point and most of them are too old to do any of the stuff that made the early episodes good.

https://www.teamgaki.com/ has subbed versions of them if you want to watch, this years will finish subbing sometime in april, probably

edit: ohh yeah, they also had 2 separate uses of Blackface in 2018 and 2016, i think

Sad to hear; the early ones were great. 24 hour tag had me in stitches.

And yikes on the blackface.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

Between here and the 2 heirs to the Duke fortunes who were basically tortured on a regular basis and had the police ignore them and drop them off with their abusive parents when they tried to report it from how badly they were treated the more you find out about children of extreme wealth the more them being weird as gently caress makes perfect sense.

Like the only way anyone inherits a wealth of 8-figures is to suffer through life shattering emotional, physical, and mental abuse on a regular basis their entire childhood.

Tiffany Sedaris, Amy and David's sister, who committed suicide in 2013, was at Elan School when she was 14. (Big CW on that link, that's the comic talking about the horrors that one guy who went there experienced, and I mean serious emotional, physical and psychological abuse.) Somehow when he writes about it David Sedaris doesn't manage to draw a link at all between her time there and, uh, the entire rest of her life or why she didn't want anyone from her family to have anything to do with her body or her memorial service after she died.

Phy has a new favorite as of 00:51 on Jan 23, 2021

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ambitious Spider posted:

I'd also like to add that the whole leak of her sex tape was a horrible sex crime, on top of the abuse she suffered. Amazing she made it through.

I've always been genuinely disgusted that the leaking of Paris Hilton's sex tape was treated as a fine source of comedy for TV comics, but the Fappening leaks were treated (properly) as an assault on the people involved. No one seemed to have the self-awareness to say "Oh poo poo, we laughed when this exact thing happened to someone else, and we're only getting worked up now because we kind of like some of the people involved this time."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Doesn't part of that stem from the belief that when anybody's sex tape is leaked that the first kneejerk reaction is to say "Oh boy, publicity stunt.", whereas the Fappening poo poo straight up brags about how they stole the content through various means?

I'm by no means trying to make excuses, it's still abhorrently lovely, but yeah, everybody always assumes that any given sex tape was a :airquote: leak :airquote: and not a real invasion of privacy

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Nah, making GBS threads on women for being abused is a long running low hanging fruit for comics.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I just remembered the reality show where people competed for plastic surgery.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Swan_(TV_series)

Also there was a show called Cha$e on Syfy that was a lot of fun.

And watch how Ramsay treats wait staff as compared to chefs. Just a complete 180.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
Speaking of early 2000’s reality tv shows, does anyone else remember “Murder In Small Town X”? It was a competition show where the contestants were sent to a small town full of mysterious characters and one of them was a serial killer. The goal was to figure out who the killer was.
Although my best friend and I watched this show religiously it was so forgettable I literally remember almost nothing about it except the eliminations. The bottom two of the week were sent to two different locations in town and the killer was hiding at one of them. The eliminated contestant gets “killed” while the other one brings back a clue or something.
It wasn’t bad but totally got lost in the sea of mediocre reality tv of the time.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

King of Foolians posted:

Speaking of early 2000’s reality tv shows, does anyone else remember “Murder In Small Town X”? It was a competition show where the contestants were sent to a small town full of mysterious characters and one of them was a serial killer. The goal was to figure out who the killer was.
Although my best friend and I watched this show religiously it was so forgettable I literally remember almost nothing about it except the eliminations. The bottom two of the week were sent to two different locations in town and the killer was hiding at one of them. The eliminated contestant gets “killed” while the other one brings back a clue or something.
It wasn’t bad but totally got lost in the sea of mediocre reality tv of the time.

You remembered as much as I could about the show. I don't remember it being good.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Speaking of reality shows, did anyone ever watch Siberia? I feel like I'm alone in remembering it.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Push El Burrito posted:

I just remembered the reality show where people competed for plastic surgery.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Swan_(TV_series)

A google search confirmed that, yup, that's just as terrible as it sounded. A group of perfectly normal looking women who went through a something like 6 or 7 surgeries only to be told that they were still too ugly and sent home. Apparently several were left with complications from the surgeries, so that's fun!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Oh my god I remember the finale of the Swan had the worst complication ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvngKV6Jmrw

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

King of Foolians posted:

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but the one thing I remember about Murder in Small Town X was that the winner was a firefighter killed in 9/11. The real town that was used for the show put up a statue of him after he died.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but the one thing I remember about Murder in Small Town X was that the winner was a firefighter killed in 9/11. The real town that was used for the show put up a statue of him after he died.

Just looked it up and the last episode aired a week before he died. That’s nuts.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Sunswipe posted:

but the Fappening leaks were treated (properly) as an assault on the people involved.
Hmm.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

What?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it happened primarily on reddit and (because it's reddit) that's what the subreddit was called

it's a lovely name but it's also the accurate name

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sunswipe posted:

I've always been genuinely disgusted that the leaking of Paris Hilton's sex tape was treated as a fine source of comedy for TV comics, but the Fappening leaks were treated (properly) as an assault on the people involved. No one seemed to have the self-awareness to say "Oh poo poo, we laughed when this exact thing happened to someone else, and we're only getting worked up now because we kind of like some of the people involved this time."

Its worth mentioning that there was 10 years or more between Hiltons tape being leaked and the icloud hacking/leaking thing (I'm not googling to find exact dates on that). Peoples attitudes had changed. (Or at least, some people. I did see too many "if they didnt want naked pictures leaked they shouldnt have taken naked pictures!" victim blaming takes, but I'd still say the majority take was "this poo poo is hosed up"). They just didnt go back and retroactively examine their takes from a decade previously, in the same way that it took a long time in the wake of "me too" for some people to realise that their takes on Monica Lewinsky may have been loving horrendous.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Sunswipe posted:

Wasn't there like 10 years between those things?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SiKboy posted:

Its worth mentioning that there was 10 years or more between Hiltons tape being leaked and the icloud hacking/leaking thing (I'm not googling to find exact dates on that). Peoples attitudes had changed. (Or at least, some people. I did see too many "if they didnt want naked pictures leaked they shouldnt have taken naked pictures!" victim blaming takes, but I'd still say the majority take was "this poo poo is hosed up"). They just didnt go back and retroactively examine their takes from a decade previously, in the same way that it took a long time in the wake of "me too" for some people to realise that their takes on Monica Lewinsky may have been loving horrendous.

And even then the treatment of Tara Reade probably set that right the gently caress back, and god help you trying to get anyone to pay attention to police rape.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014
does anyone remember the name of that japanese reality show where they locked a guy in an apartment with nothing and he could only have stuff he won from magazine competitions, including food and clothes? that seemed pretty bad

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_o8v88nkKc

Turpitude II has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Jan 23, 2021

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I thought that one actually worked out.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Turpitude II posted:

does anyone remember the name of that japanese reality show where they locked a guy in an apartment with nothing and he could only have stuff he won from magazine competitions, including food and clothes? that seemed pretty bad

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasubi#Denpa_Sh%C5%8Dnen_teki_Kensh%C5%8D_Seikatsu

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Wow, I've seen that dude on a few J-Dramas but had no idea who he was.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Gordon Ramsay's persona is really played up for any of his US shows, but even in the UK he can be fairly harsh on restaurants - his key dividing line is "are you making people pay for this". Thats why he's nice to home cooks and kids, because they're not selling their product.

Also does anyone remember a reality show called "Solitary"? People were trapped in jail cells and would compete in contests and the "host" was a weird robot voice.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Aruan posted:

Gordon Ramsay's persona is really played up for any of his US shows, but even in the UK he can be fairly harsh on restaurants - his key dividing line is "are you making people pay for this". Thats why he's nice to home cooks and kids, because they're not selling their product.

I remember a few years back people would also just send him their kitchen gently caress ups to get him to dunk on them. He might just enjoy making fun of bad food.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Casnorf posted:

I thought that one actually worked out.

it depends entirely on what you mean by 'worked out'

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

flatluigi posted:

it depends entirely on what you mean by 'worked out'

It "worked out" the same way surviving a trap in a Saw movie works out. You endure true torture being inflicted upon you and manage to survive to return to your life, deeply psychologically scarred.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

that is not limited to saw

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I didn't say it was?

I was just using a culturally recognizable example.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

i was making a depressing joke about life in general

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Fair enough. Life is so depressing that I didn't recognize it as a joke.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

if were gonna workshop it i think id change in my line 'saw' to 'movies' to make the distinction clearer

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ambitious Spider posted:

I'd also like to add that the whole leak of her sex tape was a horrible sex crime, on top of the abuse she suffered. Amazing she made it through.

The remake of House of Wax she had a lead role in is decidedly on topic. The director had one of the inevitably murdered college students be packing a night vision attachment for his camera, which is unaccountably only used to film a shot of Paris Hilton.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Grunch Worldflower posted:

I remember a few years back people would also just send him their kitchen gently caress ups to get him to dunk on them. He might just enjoy making fun of bad food.

Most of the time I tune in to Nightmares I'm just waiting for the segment where he tries the food. Sometimes the rest will be interesting but that's the good bit right there.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Schubalts posted:

To be fair to the Amazing Race contestants, they were literally in the middle of a race. Don't exactly have the luxury of taking in the sights and sounds when you have to go fast for a prize (which was often some travel package they could actually take their time to enjoy)

The Amazing Race had some excellent seasons and some truly dire ones. Yes there were moments of stereotypical ugly American awfulness but also some great moments of nice interaction between contestants and locals.

The worst season was definitely the “Family Edition “ where they did families of four instead of pairs. Because of the presence of children, they stayed in the US and really dumbed down all the challenges. The funniest part though was that the lone African American families last name was Black - so we got to see at one point Phil say “Black family - you have been eliminated!”

Another funny note about that season - a young Stassi Shroeder, later of Vanderpump Rules (and possible racist?) was a member of one of the teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I agree that attitudes have somewhat changed today but the fact that even someone like you who is clearly disgusted by the whole thing still calls it that says a lot about the whole thing. You probably just did so because it was the most easily recognizable term for it but it just irks me. I also heard and saw plenty of people go "Oh it's awful.... But we all looked up the pictures right, haha?/They really shouldn't have taken those pictures". Yeah, it's way better than "Paris Hilton/Kim Kardashian/Pamela Anderson is a loving whore and should loving kill herself, how dares she have the gall to make something out of it or merely survive it!?". Especially when R-kelly just got a lot of piss jokes because that was the weirdest thing about literal childrape.