Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

DoomTrainPhD posted:

lmao. if liberals had pattern recognition skills they wouldn’t keep trying centrism.

Successfully advocating centrist positions leads to incredible personal wealth, successfully advocating left wing positions gets you shot by a three-letter agency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

moller posted:

Successfully advocating centrist positions leads to incredible personal wealth, successfully advocating left wing positions gets you shot by a three-letter agency.

you don't even have to successfully advocate centrist positions to get fantastic prizes

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Stringent posted:

I can think of some types of competition that are p bad.

I mean lets be honest, tens of millions (or more) are going to die in the coming decades regardless of the particular source of their demise. It is going to be a bumpy road man.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot
Just looked at uspol and the posters are wondering how far left the Capitol riots will push the Dems lol these people are loving delusional

Braggins
May 21, 2020

No, it's Braggins, not... dammit

mila kunis posted:

how personally affluent are they? its funny talking to my friends from high school in our chat group, the ones that "made it" and are reasonably successful skew ultraliberal and have superficially progressive social values, but will candidly state they're economically libertarian/free market and they think left wing policy is "bad for business" when you can get them to be honest about i.

most of the time they're not being honest about it because its considered rude/bad form to not pretend to give a poo poo about people who didn't become successful PMC types. when people in d&d or irl or wherever are gushing about the democrats or incremental reform (that goes nowhere, but who cares) it's just signalling for people in that class to indicate that their overriding concern is their mortgage and investments and they don't want any rocking of the boat that could affect their property values.

any deviation and rising anger about the democratic party constitutes an active threat to their personal lifestyle because the democrats form an extremely important part of a political cartel that forces people who into voting for the class interests of liberals.

They're all middle or upper middle class and come from long time proud democratic families from an extremely right wing state.

Braggins has issued a correction as of 10:45 on Jan 24, 2021

Braggins
May 21, 2020

No, it's Braggins, not... dammit

Vim Fuego posted:

They gave u the gift of CSPAM. Truly the greatest gift of all

Ive thanked him multiple times lol.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

DoomTrainPhD posted:

nah, the usual lib play is to bikeshed on a tiny minute detail in an attempt to own you. Oh, you think Dems have done a better job? Are you not aware of clause 5 subsection 3 paragraph 1 of the sub-committee bylaws? :smug:

Same thing

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
2016 was an inflection point for a lot of people

either you understood that the democratic party lost to donald trump and that the entire apparatus is filled with snake oil salesmen or you insisted that you haven't been huffing your own farts for the last forever

last week hilldawg was going on about how we need to investigate how russia did it

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
idk what to do at this point

there are people who will actively defend open air slave markets in libya because the other option is 3 seconds of introspection about the obama presidency

im looking at my toolbox and every option is "gently caress you", but that'll fall under breaching decorum or "posting about posters" or some other nonsense

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Phone posted:

either you understood that the democratic party lost to donald trump and that the entire apparatus is filled with snake oil salesmen or you insisted that you haven't been huffing your own farts for the last forever

last week hilldawg was going on about how we need to investigate how russia did it

The only satisfaction I get from any of this is that horrible woman having to learn first hand that she is the most hated person in America

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Phone posted:

i would say before 2016 i was more of a warren democrat, being a little disappointed she didn't run in 2016 but liking bernie. however, i voted for trump in the primaries before i voted for clinton in the general, thinking that trump was going to lose handily and drag the republican party down with him (honestly, this kind of is true but the wrong part is thinking that the democrats are somehow going to be good without republican opposition)

turns out i was incredibly wrong and that shook me well awake, and i voted for howie this time around

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Taintrunner posted:

This and The Divide by Matt Taibbi, back before the internet broke his brain. The whiplash alone will shock you. Bonus, Bad Blood by David Carreyou, which really goes to town on just how braindead everyone in the halls of power are. Bonus appearance by Joe Biden!

listening to Bad Blood as an audiobook was a real trip because multiple times I would just loudly let loose a "what the gently caress?" in the middle of my commute

Phobos Anomaly
Jul 23, 2018

Charlie Brown

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/talkwordy/status/1353109893495009287
https://twitter.com/talkwordy/status/1353111278013788168

what weird as hell universe do these people live in that they think the media never went after trump for petty bullshit

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/littledeekay/status/1353136332596523008

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Did they delete the Salute the Marines Tweet?

https://twitter.com/ElElephantes/status/1352338002752638976?s=20

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

moller posted:

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

what weird as hell universe do these people live in that they think the media never went after trump for petty bullshit

One constant during the Trump years was feeling like everyone else had amnesia and only me and a few other people somehow remembered W's presidency but now they've moved on to forgetting the Trump presidency too lol

Like remember the news cycle when they tried to make it a big deal that Trump would eat two scoops of ice cream but only let other people have one scoop lmao

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/DanielSeidemann/status/1353073960716443648

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/strawssuu/status/1353089735883845633

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
jimmy kimmel going from the loving man show to this is embarrassing, i have more respect for adam carolla even though he's also a massive shithead

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/kingavriel/status/1352671206684585985

aaand weve already lost the pretense that any of this counterinsurgency stuff has anything to do with right wing terrorists

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/kingavriel/status/1352671206684585985

aaand weve already lost the pretense that any of this counterinsurgency stuff has anything to do with right wing terrorists

https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/200236164781834240

lol

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Some Guy TT posted:

I like that "rising fascism" implies we're in a state of subsiding fascism as there's a literal garrison (who are all apparently on edge btw) in the nation's capital lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Biden signs orders to get checks and food aid to low-income Americans -- plus a federal pay raise

quote:

Updated 2157 GMT (0557 HKT) January 22, 2021

President Joe Biden signed two more executive orders on Friday -- one focused on expanding food assistance and delivering stimulus checks to very low-income Americans, and the other on raising the minimum wage to $15 for the federal workforce -- as he continues his swift efforts to overturn his predecessor's policies.

[skipping over a bunch of background]

The first of Friday's executive orders calls for the Department of Agriculture to consider enhancing Pandemic-EBT benefits by 15%, which would give a family with three children more than $100 in additional support every two months. The program, part of the relief packages Congress passed last March, provides funds to low-income families whose children's schools have closed to replace the free or reduced-price meals they would have received.

Also, the order directs the department to consider allowing states to boost food stamp benefits for about 12 million Americans who did not benefit from an earlier increase in emergency allotments included in the congressional relief packages. The order would bump up benefits for a family of four by 15% to 20% per month.

Food insecurity has ballooned during the pandemic amid massive job losses. The relief bill lawmakers passed in December increases the maximum benefit of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, as food stamps are formally known, by 15% through June. Biden's relief measure would extend it through September.

"The most effective way to ensure families with children have enough to eat is by providing them with the resources to purchase the food they need," said Lisa Davis, senior vice president at Share Our Strength, which seeks to end hunger and poverty. "And, since these benefits are spent quickly at local grocery stores and markets, they also stimulate local economies."

And the President is asking the agency to look into revising its Thrifty Food Plan, which is the basis for determining food stamp benefits, to better reflect the current cost of a healthy basic diet. The calculation was established in the 1970s, and advocates say it makes unrealistic assumptions about food affordability and availability, as well as about the time families have to shop and prepare meals.

In addition, Biden is directing the Treasury Department to consider taking a series of actions to reach the estimated 8 million people who may miss out on their stimulus payments because they don't normally file taxes.

Most eligible adults received the money automatically. But very low-income people who don't normally file tax returns have to register with the Internal Revenue Service so it knows how to reach them. The agency created an online tool to make this process easier and has made efforts to partner with local groups that work with homeless populations. Still, experts have said the government could be more aggressive in these efforts.

And the executive order directs the Department of Labor to consider clarifying that unemployed Americans can refuse to take jobs they fear will jeopardize their health and still qualify for unemployment benefits.

This has become an issue during the pandemic because some out-of-work people have been afraid to accept jobs that they think will expose them to the virus. States have varied in how they have handled these situations, with Republican-led states voicing concerns that enhanced unemployment benefits are enticing people to avoid returning to work.

Biden's second executive order is geared toward improving the jobs of federal workers and contractors, which was among the President's campaign commitments. It sets the stage for requiring contractors to pay a $15 hourly minimum wage and to provide emergency paid leave by the end of Biden's first 100 days. It also directs agencies to determine which federal workers are earning less than that minimum and develop recommendations to promote bringing them up to $15 an hour.

The President included a call to raise the national hourly minimum wage to $15 as part of the $1.9 trillion relief package he outlined last week before taking office. It is currently $7.25 an hour.

The order also revokes three executive orders signed by then-President Donald Trump in 2018 that made it easier to terminate federal employees and weaken their labor unions. The measures have been the subject of litigation and arbitration.

Biden's action directs agencies to bargain over permissible, non-mandatory subjects in contract negotiations.

The order also eliminates the new Schedule F classification for certain federal civil service employees, which Trump created in October by executive order. Critics said Trump's move politicizes civil service and could lead to career officials being pushed out for political reasons.

Separately, Deese said Friday that the administration will be strengthening the government's outreach efforts so that every eligible small business owner has access to federal aid.

Too many of the smallest mom-and-pop shops, typically run by people don't have existing connections to a banking institution, missed out on getting a loan from the federal Paycheck Protection Program last year, he said.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/billscher/status/1352967444852314112

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot
Genuine question but does "consider" in the context of these eos mean anything different than what it normally does?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ok last one that should be enough morning succ

https://twitter.com/billscher/status/1352828295750905856

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey it's not like people are loving dying or at risk of winding up homeless or anything

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Democrat goal is to give you a marginally better deal in a way that doesn't affect the rich, and in a politically polite fashion. The Republican goal is to make the Democrats fail at even that, so you don't vote for the Democrats again.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
With that in mind, "reaching across the aisle" means literally reaching out for failure. I would suspect this was an intentional act from Biden, but I don't think he has enough nominally firing neurons to make that kind of calculation.

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Shipon posted:

jimmy kimmel going from the loving man show to this is embarrassing, i have more respect for adam carolla even though he's also a massive shithead

They both left the man show and were replaced by joe rogan and doug stanhope back in the day and I remember being like "wtf is this poo poo, these guys suck" and now my opinions have completely reversed. Stanhope is funny, rogan is whatever, and kimmel and corolla are completely annoying unfunny turds

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dolphin posted:

With that in mind, "reaching across the aisle" means literally reaching out for failure. I would suspect this was an intentional act from Biden, but I don't think he has enough nominally firing neurons to make that kind of calculation.

He has spent the past 40+ years advancing the Republican agenda. That's all he knows how to do.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
“consider” “consider” “set the stage” “lay the groundwork” Jesus Christ

DoomTrainPhD posted:

The best book to throw at Libs is called “Listen Liberal” (it’s written by a progressive.) You should read it if you haven’t and you should also ask your friend to read the book.

the best book to throw at liberals is Combat Liberalism

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
the best book to throw at liberals is the heaviest hardcover in arm's reach

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Stringent posted:

:emptyquote:

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
The libs I know barely read at all and if they do it's some dumb Better Angels poo poo or it's mostly whatever is popular in fiction. They aren't curious about the social economic system they live in.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Stringent posted:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Stringent posted:

But I like my huge ttrpg books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hitting someone with my copy of Damnation City and then going over the book trying to see if I made a dent.