Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Jordan Montgomery owns and should be a starter, although he'd be useful in a long relief role as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Pretty pathetic that 40% of the pre-trades projected rotation will be starting for playoff teams, the NL Central is in shambles, and they’re not even going to try to field a competent team

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Pussy Boss posted:

Jordan Montgomery owns and should be a starter, although he'd be useful in a long relief role as well

Monty is their 2nd most likely yankee to make 25 starts at this point.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is there a reason why the Yankees weren't interested in bringing Tanaka back?

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
If the Cubs trade Hendricks I will try my best to never watch another game. Unless it’s against the White Sox where I can hope they get blown out Abreu 2020 style.

gently caress TLR until the end of time. I was hit by a drunk driver a few years ago and because of it I will need neck and lower back surgery at some point. I will never be able to play volleyball again for which I was a semi pro player... I nearly cried when they hired him...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GalacticAcid posted:

Canaan Smith is interesting. I do like the emphasis Cherington is putting on athleticism.

Smith-Njigba (seems like he prefers the hyphenated name in coverage?) was also one of the two guys (the other being Chris Gittens) who really called the Yankees out on their poor handling of BLM stuff this past summer.

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's lost his splitter (probably at least partially attributable to changes to the ball) and while his slider stepped up to fill the gap, his bad outings became really bad. I still want him back but I can see why the Yankees would be ready to move on. Seems like for Tanaka it's Yankees or NPB at this point, though.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

FlamingLiberal posted:

being cheap.

Tanaka can make enough in NPB that he's not going to take a cheap deal in the states and no one wants to pay him

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It seems to be a combination of wanting to stay under the luxury tax and concern about a long term elbow tear he's had since 2014.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Inspector_666 posted:

Smith-Njigba (seems like he prefers the hyphenated name in coverage?)

Wasn’t aware of this. I’ll make sure to adhere to that from now on, thanks

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GalacticAcid posted:

Wasn’t aware of this. I’ll make sure to adhere to that from now on, thanks

I only just learned about it today in talk about the trade, along with apparently a lot of other people so I wouldn't sweat it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

It seems to be a combination of wanting to stay under the luxury tax and concern about a long term elbow tear he's had since 2014.

They could just do a one year deal with him but they don't want to pay him 15MM

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Tanaka was a full time starter in Japan at 18 years old and there's a lot of mileage on his arm. He totally deserves a long term deal but I understand why teams aren't lining up to give him one.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Pussy Boss posted:

Tanaka was a full time starter in Japan at 18 years old and there's a lot of mileage on his arm. He totally deserves a long term deal but I understand why teams aren't lining up to give him one.

Tanaka's 32 and he's just gotten out of a 7-year deal so I don't think it's a matter of him not getting his FA cashout here. I think there are plenty of legitimate reasons why nobody would want to give him 3+ years at this point.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 24, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, he's only 32 so he doesn't sound old but he definitely feels like an older SP who you expect to start falling apart if he hasn't already.

I still think the Yanks should give him the 1 year deal and pay the luxury tax. But within the lines of the "budget" idea I get it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's hard to argue that Tanaka is worth 15 million. His stuff clearly isn't the same.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Honestly I’d take Tanaka on the Red Sox but my team is also trotting out Martin Perez for a second consecutive year so I think my perspective is skewed

God dammit I really like(d) Jameson taillon

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

NiceGuy posted:

Honestly I’d take Tanaka on the Red Sox but my team is also trotting out Martin Perez for a second consecutive year so I think my perspective is skewed

God dammit I really like(d) Jameson taillon
They at least signed Garrett Richards and Sale should be back, so they won't be as bad as they were last year

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Chamale posted:

They seem to have built a strategy of hiring good players with injury troubles on the theory that some of them will work out. Guys on the IL don't count against the luxury tax, so it's a pretty clever workaround.
The Dodgers did this a lot under Friedman as well. Rich Hill was the epitome of it. They were willing to pay him knowing they'd only get 15-20 starts a year but they'd be high quality, and the roster had enough pitching depth they always had someone healthy even if several were hurt at one time.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Braves signed Panda to another minor-league deal.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1353501472709890049?s=20

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

That Tanaka can pitch in the majors with a torn elbow and mostly secondary pitches is quite impressive.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I know there's guys out there who have to get deals but if no one would beat that idk who is interested in signing anyone at this point.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

General Bullshit posted:

That Tanaka can pitch in the majors with a torn elbow and mostly secondary pitches is quite impressive.

I think Tanaka's had a very under appreciated MLB career and I'll fight any Yankee fan who questions his tenure in pinstripes. And like I said, I'd be very happy taking a flyer that he can continue to make it work. But I don't run the Yankees.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I know there's guys out there who have to get deals but if no one would beat that idk who is interested in signing anyone at this point.
It’s very clear that most teams are not interested in spending money this year

It was going to be bad enough since it’s a CBA year, but with Covid on top of that, forget about it

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

elentar posted:

Braves signed Panda to another minor-league deal.

Hell yeah, Braves Legend!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

I think Tanaka's had a very under appreciated MLB career and I'll fight any Yankee fan who questions his tenure in pinstripes. And like I said, I'd be very happy taking a flyer that he can continue to make it work. But I don't run the Yankees.

You have my axe.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Any team could have claimed him for $10M I don’t understand this game

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm very excited for the Jays to sign Tanaka.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Or this

https://mobile.twitter.com/MEdwardCanter/status/1353524211067875328

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mods??????????

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
:negative:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
lmao this team is going to make obscene amounts of money when in-person attendance returns and they have no players to pay

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I will never love Adam Kloffenstein or Dasan Brown

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Poque posted:

lmao this team is going to make obscene amounts of money when in-person attendance returns and they have no players to pay

Of course, it’s the ideal scenario for 99% of the FOs in the league right now.

gently caress ‘em all.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Poque posted:

i'm still gonna pay $60 for an obstructed view seat in the back of the 200s, cry when I get up the ramp, and give val Capone $100 to get me shitfaced

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Tanaka definitely was a long term FA pitching signing that worked out. I don't think many yankee fans disagree with that.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I swear to god the Cubs want to break my heart more in this offseason than any ex I've ever dated. :negative:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

gently caress you.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
n/m I just checked that guy's twitter account and he's literally nobody, might as well have quoted xXx420W33dLord69xXx for all that their insight into trade rumors means jack poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
to be fair you're just teeing up to make it even funnier if it actually happens