Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Frances Nurples posted:

is there bluebrinting?

No, not yet. They're planning to add it though. You can copy/paste with settings like factorio has though so it's at least got that going for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Coolnezzz posted:

Peekaboo!

My logistics production network now spanning half of the starter planet.

Just finished off my last yellow research, time to start expanding the incoming resources to get purple production up and running! Game is awesome, sitting around 42 hours played so far!

The other two planets in my starter system are garbage tier, a rocky world that looks like mars with nothing but titanium and iron/copper, then an ice world that is so far out from the star that it only gets about 25% solar energy - nothing but minerals there but luckily it has silicon so I could stop using stone to make it.

This is a really really good looking factory.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

explosivo posted:

No, not yet. They're planning to add it though. You can copy/paste with settings like factorio has though so it's at least got that going for it.

Although the implementation is wonky enough that I've found it easier to configure an initial production building and then shift-place (factorio pipette) it down the line.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

toasterwarrior posted:

IMO if you're waiting for research to tick down in the blue/red phase, I can recommend tapping every single well on your starting planet and consolidating all their output into one mega oil belt. You'll need plenty of oil for high tier industries, and everything you can't use can get thrown into storage tanks or burnt for power.

That raises a question that I keep brushing up against- is it more efficient to keep industry local (e.g. build a smelter right next to a coal mine), or use gigantic Factorio-esque buses and pick raw materials out as-needed? I assume it's the former, if only because even 1-2 producers are often enough to swamp a belt.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Deadmeat5150 posted:

This is a really really good looking factory.

Thank you! I really wish blueprints were part of the game already, this is basically how I played Factorio - nice little dedicated production areas with logistics bots for production of specific items, all in a nice little row. Doing all this by hand took the better part of yesterday and today.

Currently plopping down oil processing nodes all across the planet gearing up for purple science and Dyson sphere components.

Rows for daaaaayyyss.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Oh look.
A thread about a game that I bought and would like to play, but know that I would never finish what I am doing already if I did.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Working my way through T4 science/about to unlock T5 and i'm waiting for the axe to fall on actually needing more than the starter planet and a localized corner of lava world with titanium and silicon. Maybe a gas giant just to stock up a billion hydrogen for later. I'm still hoping that the rest of the localized star group comes into play, presumably the Dyson sphere itself needs you to warp to other worlds and eat them wholesale or something.

On a similar note, T4 is the first science tier that doesn't feel like a paradigm shift compared to the previous ones. T1 is the capstone to basic production chains, T2 introduces advanced industrial stuff involving oil and its refined products (not to mention having to learn how to juggle the excesses and shortages), T3 introduces interplanetary logistics... but T4 is just more of the same. It's kind of welcome actually because my chain still needs work though. Maybe, to combine the two threads, I got lucky with my 2nd planet having both of the offworld resources and saved myself having to set up a 3rd interplanetary logistics network?

I can go and grab pictures of anything if people want but my setup itself is nothing special.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 25, 2021

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

This thread is making me realize I've over built factorio style. Somehow the day disappeared

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Krataar posted:

This thread is making me realize I've over built factorio style. Somehow the day disappeared

Pretty much exactly what I'm doing.

Science!

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
oof, this is a brutal system. Oil on one planet, silica on another and titanium on a third. Sail production is going to be a pain. Guess its time to start researching interplanetary shipping.

E: Wait a second, sails don't take any off the off world materials.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I appreciate the enthusiasm that the tutorial guy has whenever I build a single matrix lab.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
It took an embarrassingly long time for me to figure out that I could belt vertically. I kept hoping the next node in the tech tree would give me undergroundies, but they never came. :downsgun:

So I end up with this theme park looking thing instead of a real mall.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

hahaha ~2hrs in and i have a tiny inefficient heap that makes magnets and gears. i'm real bad at this.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Frances Nurples posted:

hahaha ~2hrs in and i have a tiny inefficient heap that makes magnets and gears. i'm real bad at this.

no such thing as bad in factory games op, just varying degrees of obsession with making things look pretty

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Step 1: make it function
Step 2: make it efficient
step 3: make it pretty

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Decided to get a gas giant photo for the thread. My starter planet's not a good shot because it's industry is on the other side of the planet most of the time, but at least the star and its Dyson Swarm are pretty.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 25, 2021

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Hihohe posted:

Step 1: make it function
Step 2: make it efficient
step 3: make it pretty

Step 1: make it pretty

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

awesmoe posted:

Step 1: make it pretty

Step 1: Make it

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
How do I fly faster? I researched the faster sail speed upgrade but I still seem to be capped at 100m/s most of the time.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

misguided rage posted:

How do I fly faster? I researched the faster sail speed upgrade but I still seem to be capped at 100m/s most of the time.

I'm not sure about while you're in a planet, but in space (which is I think where Sail mode exclusively applies anyway?), press the Shift key to consume power and speed up.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Step 1: Make it

Step 2: You like to move it move it

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

step 1: build it
step 2: ahhhhhhh crap
step 3: goto step 1

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Oh hey, didn't realize this had a thread now. I have some quibbles with some of the UI decisions -- sorters are overly fiddly and I miss a lot of Factorio's functionality around upgrades, blueprints, the circuit network -- but they seem like they'll be addressed and overall I'm really digging this so far. The entire tiny planet aesthetic is extremely pretty and stuff like EM cannons, the solar sail swarm and interstellar cargo shuttles look great. I really like that it seems to be mostly complete, instead of the back half of the tech tree just being "WIP".

I'm at what feels like the mid game: chewing through yellow upgrades, scaling up my infrastructure production to make the Good Stuff, avoiding logistic drones so that I can make more belts. I placed two logistics stations to drone some oil because I didn't feel like belting it across half the planet and there are no trains, but I felt very bad about it afterwards.

Night:

Day:

I'd post a screenshot of the Frozen Wasteland Planet that's providing all my titanium, silicon and graphite but I don't feel like boating over.

Re: EM cannons, I think the orbital mechanics are sufficiently non-cheaty that your starting moon will tend to have a Worse Hemisphere that's frequently eclipsed by a gas giant in the summer and frequently at night in the winter. I just sort of placed my guns near my spaceport at the equator and didn't think to hard about it. Now thinking that I'm going to take the local desert planet that has no interesting resources to speak and cover it in EM cannons and solar panels.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I find it easier to keep track of my spaghetti lines than I do a main bus, I have no idea why

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Started a new game on a seed that I really like, and I like this magnet coil and circuit board line I set up very early game. 6/s of each, should blitz blue science techs really nicely. I loving love conveyor verticality... check out those stacked outputs.

edit: I realized after I posted this that I forgot the output sorters for the left 3 circuits. Fixed now.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 25, 2021

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

can i only set one filter per splitter? i'm going nuts over this one segment

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Frances Nurples posted:

Nah just build poo poo and have fun. Lots of people in this thread have been playing similar building and manufacturing games like factorio for years, but this is my first real crack at the genre and I'm having fun with my spaghetti conveyors everywhere and figuring out how to hot patch in the next whatever I need.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ambaire posted:

Started a new game on a seed that I really like, and I like this magnet coil and circuit board line I set up very early game. 6/s of each, should blitz blue science techs really nicely. I loving love conveyor verticality... check out those stacked outputs.

edit: I realized after I posted this that I forgot the output sorters for the left 3 circuits. Fixed now.

By stacked inputs, are you saying you can use sorters to move something up a level?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

it will be really cool when they add the D-Gun and the ARM Commander working against you :v:

If this game doesn't end up with giant engines to drive the planet itself, then what is even the point?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Volmarias posted:

If this game doesn't end up with giant engines to drive the planet itself, then what is even the point?

Hey, let's respect the worthy entries in the genre only. (Jokes aside, almost certainly something that will come down the line.)

Also congratulations, you guys have convinced me to pick it up whenever I decide if I need another factorio break, and several friends earlier than that. (Still have a lot to try with Factorio even if I've finished it, but might not be a bad idea to shelve for a bit? Probably enough notes to remember what I was doing...)

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 25, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh hey so you can upgrade conveyor belts.. two sections at a time. With the better belt selected, click on one section of the belt and click again one tile next to it as if you were building a 2 length track. You can also just double click on one section and it'll replace that one. Obviously not an actual fix but it's something.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I'm on the cusp of the logistical ships to bring in titanium, but work is back tomorrow. Trying to figure out what to automate in order to get ships moving as fast as possible so I can start using the other 2 planets in a much larger capacity while I wrap my head around warp. I'm probably several days away from that.

Me next to my park admiring my new dyson swarms. My planet is starting to feel like the metal planet from Planetary Annihilation.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

explosivo posted:

By stacked inputs, are you saying you can use sorters to move something up a level?

Stacked outputs. Leveraging verticality to have circuits and coils outputs in the same footprint.

Finally got a mall going for the starter 8 buildings plus labs, and holy gently caress why didn't I do this on the prior worlds. Being able to just wander up to the mall and grab a stack of 50 assemblers really is nice. Also got 18x2 labs set up so I can blitz blue science with the awesome power of 360 blue a minute. Heck yeah.

I was struggling to saturate this assembler in gears, and then realized there's enough room between the assemblers for a single 1x2 belt. I LOVE that sorters are placed on top of stuff and don't need a separate space like in Factorio.

6/s glass and 6/s stone:

Iron madness. 3x6/s iron ingots (1 line dedicated for 6/s gears)

Covered part of a continent in 100 wind turbines.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So in building and expanding and further expanding my motor-factory here on Castor I (A.K.A. Industro-Mercury) I have learned the following:

1) Don't build poo poo in a N-S direction outside of the tropics or poo poo gets weird and lines get all wiggly. Getting 2 belts/side in range of grabbers on some of those assemblers was a real pain.
2) I NEED MORE TIER 2 AND 3 MOTORS! MOOOOORE! Seriously, I'm set up next to a rather large iron and copper spot and I'm still shipping in more iron from other random mines on the planet and from my starting desert world that's mostly rock and silicon.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I really appreciate the scale of this game. Not just the "you're supposed to fly into space and create a dyson sphere somehow", but also that the planets are relatively small. It's easy to get an overlook of your stuff, and it makes you feel like you're making genuine environmental impact on the world around you when you've covered half a planet in factories and put a band of solar panels along the equator.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Just so I'm not missing anything, to get the tech to move stuff between worlds, you need yellow cubes. But to make the yellow cubes, you need to get stuff from a second planet. So you get to be a delivery truck until you make that tech?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Philthy posted:

Just so I'm not missing anything, to get the tech to move stuff between worlds, you need yellow cubes. But to make the yellow cubes, you need to get stuff from a second planet. So you get to be a delivery truck until you make that tech?

Yup. It's kind of a low point. You can get some titanium ore randomly in breaking down the terrain rocks (not the veins), but not nearly enough to make it halfway worth it.

Fly over, set up a solar or wind powered mining and smelting system then do anywhere from 2-4 trips carrying little more than fuel and you should be good. You'll need a LOT not just for yellow science but also the Titanium Alloy (Titanium + Steel + Sulfiruc Acid) you need to make the upgraded logistics stations you need for the interplanetary cargo ships.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Philthy posted:

Titanium? Yeah.

It took me a total of maybe 3 trips to get my system-wide transport in place, but that 3rd trip was because I flew all the way out to my titanium planet and accidentally left my ship station in a box on my first planet.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Respectfully to Factorio, this game feels much easier to get into despite the broken english.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
You don't need that much titanium for the initial set up, you can carry it in one trip if you clear some inventory space. You could probably do the interstellar transport research on your titanium planet without returning home, but that might be annoying depending on resources. I don't think the other solid planets in the system are guaranteed to have hydrogen (although mine did), and they're definitely not guaranteed to have the resources for organic crystals (mine do not) so you'd need to carry some research cubes or their components if doing that.

I didn't really mind doing 3 flights to settle planet #2: they're short enough, it felt like an organic progression of "okay, now I need this" and the last one was clearly just lack of forethought on my part. I did mind just barely missing the planet on my first coal-powered flight, when I didn't understand the flight controls. I overshot by 2 AU before I regened enough power to reverse course. It's easier with fuel cells, also easier if you're not a moron and flying the right way to start (just point reticule at planet and hold 'w' to orient to cursor while sailing).