Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

miscarried over the weekend so I guess we're back to trying. what a kick in the teeth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

miscarried over the weekend so I guess we're back to trying. what a kick in the teeth

oh my god I'm so sorry

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

ugh, that sucks, sorry to hear it :/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mate .. sorry to hear it . 😔

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

all my ancestors who would be mad about me diluting our bloodline with japaneseness are dead lol

yospos james with asian dames

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

ah, jeez. very sorry.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

gently caress man, really sorry to hear it. much love to you and yours

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
got hosed up with my boys on a monday night, but we had to be sorta quiet because one of them had a newborn in the house

thats about as close as ill get

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

ah poo poo, i'm sorry

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

loving hell im so sorry :/

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
It's super heartbreaking and anything upsetting is taboo to talk about in polite company which makes it worse because it's unbelievably common. I haven't brought it up to another dad without them saying in hushed tones "yeah, we had to deal with a lot of that".

On the plus side, you can suddenly get drunk again which seems like a good idea all of a sudden.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my sister in law miscarried like 3 times, it was incredibly hard on them both, I am honestly shocked it didn't end their marriage.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

drat sorry to hear that, that's really hard

echinopsis posted:

do you guys constantly correct your kids bad use of english?

some people say that it’s classism to judge people
poorly due to poor english skills, and perhaps that’s true, but that is a different issue, and is no reason not
to encourage high standards in your children english. at least imo.

also politeness. people often tell me my kids are polite, but it’s nothing special, I just guess the overall standards out there are low? anyway I like to think other parents and teachers etc are more welcoming to kids that are politeness and show appreciation.

may take is they are going to say what they hear, if you make an effort to use "correct" english with them they will be more likely to use it. also reading is gonna help. i don;t see much point correcting peoples english just tends to make them annoyed, same goes for kids unless they are asking even though correcting ppl is liek my number one pastime

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nah it’s your own kids you don’t treat them like a coworker you want a good relationship with, you’re not subtly guiding them down a path.

leading by example is paramount, but not sufficient.

for example, I don’t just correct them, I inform them of the importance (classism exists whether they like it or not), but also tell them not to judge other people at the same time.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

i won;t knock your approach, they're your kids. personally i wont bother because a) language prescriptivism sucks anyway and i'm trying not to engage in it b) i think they will learn more from just talking / reading and c) could just be a me thing but if i do this too much ill probably give them low self esteem or somethign cos i sound liek a dickhead

take it with a grain of salt tho my kid is still under 2 ( though he does talk in pretty long sentences and apparently he learned how to count at some point??)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’ve worked with a few people who would say “I seen this person”, and yeah it immediately makes people think their education was worse than someone else’s.

it’s like table manners or manners in general, politeness etc.

it’s basically about having standards and trying to keep them high. not much is lost by keeping them high but a lot may not be gained if they weren’t there
in the first place 🤷‍♂️

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i done seent it, paw

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

They don't think it be like it is.....

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

echinopsis posted:

I’ve worked with a few people who would say “I seen this person”, and yeah it immediately makes people think their education was worse than someone else’s.

it’s like table manners or manners in general, politeness etc.

it’s basically about having standards and trying to keep them high. not much is lost by keeping them high but a lot may not be gained if they weren’t there
in the first place 🤷‍♂️

the whole “seen” vs. “saw” thing is 100% arbitrary i and try to not knock people for saying the former when they technically shouldn’t. am i gonna start doing that or teaching it to my kids that way? no. does it matter one bit in the end? also no.

so much of what we do as humans isn’t based on anything intrinsic. that doesn’t necessarily mean we should stop doing those things, but we need to stop lying to ourselves that they truly matter.

it’s like people flipping out over something like a little boy wearing a dress. what does it really matter?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

President Beep posted:

the whole “seen” vs. “saw” thing is 100% arbitrary

one is the (irregular) past tense and the other is the perfect participle of “to see” you dirty uneducated poor

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

it’s like people flipping out over something like a little boy wearing a dress. what does it really matter?

i don disagree necessarily, out of all the things it’s very low down the list, but what’s worth considering is how others will view that kind of thing. whether or not it’s right.

so I take somewhat of a pragmatic point of view, that it’s such a small thing that’s easy to change, but a future employer or something may judge it if it was wrong etc

plus I also asked the boys yesterday and they told me it wasn’t a big deal to be corrected and that it helped them understand subtle differences if pointed out and that they’d rather be correct. lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echinopsis posted:

what’s worth considering is how others will view that kind of thing. whether or not it’s right.

I totally agree.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

if either of my kids come out as gay or trans, etc. it won’t make any difference to me wrt our relationship. what I truly worry about is how the world would treat them.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I tried playing some Caravan Palace in the car on the way home and Wintergirl, all of three and a half years old, scowled and crossed her arms. I asked what the problem was gave the coldest put down I've ever heard:

"This music is not fun for the kids. The kids are not dancing."

Yeah the world may choose to not like her, but the world better watch out. She'll give it a hard time right back.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

if either of my kids come out as gay or trans, etc. it won’t make any difference to me wrt our relationship. what I truly worry about is how the world would treat them.

yeah for sure

part of raising kids is awareness of the lovely world and it’s unfair rules, and helping them navigate it all hopefully ethically but not naively

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

o7

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
might be a hot take, but I don’t think teaching your kids grammar is bourgeoise

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

my homie dhall posted:

might be a hot take, but I don’t think teaching your kids grammar is bourgeoise
nobody's being that obtuse but you friendo

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

evil_bunnY posted:

nobody's being that obtuse but you friendo

hmm, I think that’s true

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

is anyone thinking of 'apprenticing' their kids into touching computer

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

my stepdads beer posted:

I'm definitely going to apprentice my kid in lnto learning proper google-fu.

Some of the devs at my work take it too seriously, once is already pushing emacs on his kid who's like 7

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

CyberPingu posted:

Some of the devs at my work take it too seriously, once is already pushing emacs on his kid who's like 7

There's no way in hell that's his kid.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

my stepdads beer posted:

I'm definitely going to try and prevent them doing any poo poo under their real name and try and educate on how stuff you do online is around forever etc.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

my stepdads beer posted:

i am absolutely going to teach my kids how to program. i'm similarly committed to them learning music and english (we're in japan). the "goal" is hopefully teaching them how to learn poo poo from an early age, like how you have to practice a little bit every day and the skills build up. it probably won't work, but it's a hill i'm cool with dying on.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I'm definitely going to try and prevent them doing any poo poo under their real name and try and educate on how stuff you do online is around forever etc.

big same. and also it’s important to remember that you’re talking to actual people too.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

yeah this was my thing. I always tell them I can teach them programming if they want (they dont) but i make sure to teach them basic digital hygiene and just regular user stuff like what the router does and how to forward a port and stuff

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

the internet hygiene stuff is good, although I was thinking of providing my kids with an option for work and a career, perhaps working together??, instead of my parent's generation approach of 'you can do anything you want! just go to university and it'll work out :) i will provide no further guidance good luck kids'

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah like the option for them is there, and they know it, but I'm not gonna make them learn it.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

my stepdads beer posted:

for now i'm keeping him away from screens as much as possible. he wants to do everything with daddy though so probably he will eventually learn to code & i will gift him a lovely old computer to play with. not gonna encourage him to do it as a career tho unless thats what he wants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

rotor posted:

yeah like the option for them is there, and they know it, but I'm not gonna make them learn it.

that seems like a good idea. i guess it's not really like plumbing or whatever where they can help out with the physical stuff for some pocket money at 14