Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Ambaire posted:

So I was rearranging my new solar accumulators for better solar panel density, and realized that removing fully charged accumulators literally gives a fully charged accumulator. No charge vanishing into the ether like in Factorio. Love this game.

A full accumulator is a component of one of the buildings. You need 20 of them to make the thing. So it’s a separate item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Im now building a secondary factory in my second system and may have forgotten to bring warp fuel with me . :negative:

Your travel speed is not accurate, someone on the steam forum reported that I took them about an hour to travel between the stars at sub light speeds. Start back for your home star, then come back in an hour.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Fusion power! I really should have started fractionating earlier. Two oil seeps > 8 refineries > hydrogen into 18 fractionators > deuterium fuel rods into 20 mini fusion reactors. I think this setup can likely support 30 reactors but I just set them up so we will see once I have a surplus of fuel rods built up.

Sunrise at the factory.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Incredible game so far. I have way more research unlocked than I know what to do with, going to get into oil production next and try to get some of the red cubes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Diogines posted:

Your travel speed is not accurate, someone on the steam forum reported that I took them about an hour to travel between the stars at sub light speeds. Start back for your home star, then come back in an hour.

speeds are "accurate" to meters, it's the scale of everything that's all wrong. planets are tiny, 1AU appears to be exactly 40km (as opposed to ~150 million km), and i haven't measured out 1LY, but it definitely isn't ~10 trillion km :v:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Coolnezzz posted:

Fusion power! I really should have started fractionating earlier. Two oil seeps > 8 refineries > hydrogen into 18 fractionators > deuterium fuel rods into 20 mini fusion reactors. I think this setup can likely support 30 reactors but I just set them up so we will see once I have a surplus of fuel rods built up.

Don't forget to use the fastest belts you have there. The machines don't need any time to spit out either a Hydrogen or Deuterium, so using a faster belt makes them work faster.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Krataar posted:

I found a mushroom planet loaded with organic crystals and a water world. My factory is a huge mess and I want to start over, but I've gone to far now.

One of the nice things is that you can basically bundle up a planet into a bunch of interstellar logistics nodes and then never bother with it again if you want to. Just maybe hook up some interstellar inputs of raw ores to your smelting lines. It just sits in the background and contributes productive capacity.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Looking tidy atm, I wonder how long that will last? (not long, likely)

I love the ability to stack my belts but I'm really missing factorio-style splitters, even level 3 sorters a little slow. I'll probably demolish all of this once I get robots, oh well.

edit: i just realized, if this game gets big enough and is moddable enough, someone is eventually going to release a "real solar system sizes" mod and it's going to be glorious.

Sarrisan fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jan 26, 2021

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Finally got my little swarm going without leaving my first planet. I guess I need to now for titanium but I'm scared.

Which tech level of logistics do I need for inter-planetary cargo? There is intraplanetary and interstellar...

Also how do I actually navigate in sail mode, has anyone made a guide or something I'm so scared of flinging myself into the void that I haven't really played with the controls yet.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Welp, got this 3 days ago and basically each day started over to refine my build style. I'm astounded how feature complete this game is and how few bugs there are. Just finished a yellow cube chain and I feel like it's about to get a whole more messy.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

LeFishy posted:

Finally got my little swarm going without leaving my first planet. I guess I need to now for titanium but I'm scared.

Which tech level of logistics do I need for inter-planetary cargo? There is intraplanetary and interstellar...

Also how do I actually navigate in sail mode, has anyone made a guide or something I'm so scared of flinging myself into the void that I haven't really played with the controls yet.

Just hold space bar until you get out of the atmosphere - you'll stop using power and be moving at 100ms in whatever direction you're pointing at. Just point at a planet and wait - you can speed up at the cost of power (Don't worry about braking, you can slam right into a planet and be perfectly safe, or "glide" into orbit and your guy will brake automatically).

Also when in space you regen power naturally so you can never be truly stuck, you just have to wait until you have enough power to turn around and make another pass if you miss a planet somehow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LeFishy posted:

Interstellar and interplanetary are the same thing, you upgrade them to interstellar with a later research, but the interstellar hub is what you need for between planets.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Sarrisan posted:

Just hold space bar until you get out of the atmosphere - you'll stop using power and be moving at 100ms in whatever direction you're pointing at. Just point at a planet and wait - you can speed up at the cost of power (Don't worry about braking, you can slam right into a planet and be perfectly safe, or "glide" into orbit and your guy will brake automatically).

note that accelerating in space burns through power way faster than you'd expect so get a reactor upgrade or two before going offworld, and bring a few stacks of coal or graphite or whatever so you don't get lost in space.

once you're in space, just point yourself at the planet and hit W and wait a bit. if your home planet is a gas giant moon, save before launch so you can reload and wait a bit if the gas giant is in the way.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Is there an easy way to upgrade belts? I can't drag a long line of tier 2 belts over my old ones but I can do drag it one piece at a time and its kind of a chore. Same for sorters and assemblers.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Demiurge4 posted:

Is there an easy way to upgrade belts? I can't drag a long line of tier 2 belts over my old ones but I can do drag it one piece at a time and its kind of a chore. Same for sorters and assemblers.

Nope. Other than deleting and replacing, there's no other way yet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think I found a tidally locked planet, that's neat.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Nope. Other than deleting and replacing, there's no other way yet.

:rip:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wait no it's not quite tidally locked, "orbital resonance 1:4 I think means it basically rotates a quarter as fast as it orbits? Either way really long days/nights.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Did anyone manage to find a black hole or neutron star yet? Is there anything interesting there?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is one in each cluster I think. Neutron star is just a really small star, nothing special. Haven't been to the black hole yet.
I think they might be unfinished content basically.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Restarted because I sat there at work and re-thought a lot of my designs and didn't feel like digging myself out of a hole with the power issue.

First thoughts: good lord, it's easy to not notice how powerful the upgrades like movement speed and construction drone quantity and speed are when you get them in game but they're immediately apparent in a new game. The robot is SLOOOOW.

Also tried a few seeds. It seems to always put you on a moon of a gas giant for your first starter planet. Though I did get one where the gas planet had a second moon on it. Currently got an ice giant and one of those "1/4 phase" planets that OwlFancier mentioned. Noticed in the start map it says "can't change starting location" which suggests that's likely gonna be a feature down the road.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Alkydere posted:

First thoughts: good lord, it's easy to not notice how powerful the upgrades like movement speed and construction drone quantity and speed are when you get them in game but they're immediately apparent in a new game. The robot is SLOOOOW.

there's upgrades for a bunch of stuff next to research tab. I wonder how much your mech speed improves with them though, haven't done but a few upgrades so far.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is two moons rare? I started orbiting an ice planet that had a second desert moon with high winds and titanium

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

LifeSunDeath posted:

there's upgrades for a bunch of stuff next to research tab. I wonder how much your mech speed improves with them though, haven't done but a few upgrades so far.

A lot.

This is just such a great feeling to watch. Fly, my pretty research, fly!

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 26, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Deadmeat5150 posted:

A lot.

Ooooooo pretty!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Did you not read the entire post? I'm re-starting, I know about the upgrades XD

I'm saying you barely notice most of them at the time but when you strip them all away at once it stings a bit. :v:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Did you not read the entire post?

not really, why?

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

LifeSunDeath posted:

not really, why?

Because the first sentence was about restarting, and realizing that with upgrades don't it always seems to go you don't know what you've got til it's gone they paved paradise and put up an EM gun.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Deadmeat5150 posted:

A lot.

So hang on

Do you need to link up all those research stations with belts, or is it enough to link it up with the bottom one?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

bony tony posted:

So hang on

Do you need to link up all those research stations with belts, or is it enough to link it up with the bottom one?

Just the bottom. Same for stacked storages. Only stacked splitters require seperate belts which makes sense.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

LeFishy posted:

Always save before flinging yourself into the ether. Then save again when you return home again.

That one time when the gravitational pull slingshotted me to the middle of nowhere was not fun because I couldn't turn at all.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

bony tony posted:

So hang on

Stacked research labs do whatever the bottom is doing

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the bottom controls everything

a power bottom if you will

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Flinging myself into another star system without warp fuel actually worked out great in the long run. However I've noticed that I can't move said warp fuel back and forth by itself. So it may be better to ship lenses or green cubes and turn them into warp fuel on the opposite side.

I got lucky in my third system and found the crystal I can turn in nanotubes!

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
I will add with the stacked research though: you'll want to beef up your sorters, basic ones can't handle the bigger stacks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish all the buildings were stackable tbh, it's a great solution to the issue of having to upgrade production capacity over time.

Would be even better if you had the option of feeding/extracting from any of them.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I wish all the buildings were stackable tbh, it's a great solution to the issue of having to upgrade production capacity over time.

Would be even better if you had the option of feeding/extracting from any of them.

Yes, or just having a second set of sorter attachment points at the top of the assemblers would be really nice. Maybe as a mk2 feature. Would make it a lot easier to build a mall, there's so many intermediate products involved in so many different combinations.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Philthy posted:

Always save before flinging yourself into the ether. Then save again when you return home again.

That one time when the gravitational pull slingshotted me to the middle of nowhere was not fun because I couldn't turn at all.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had this happen. Luckily I only wasted 5 minutes of gaming time.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

First game status: No iron ore on starting planet.

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

MrYenko posted:

First game status: No iron ore on starting planet.

:suicide:

Is that even possible? I restarted because I was just overwhelmed with how quickly I unlocked stuff and I had a hell of a time finding copper on my new planet, but it was there! If you press M you can scroll around the planet and take a closer look.