Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

"I HAVE UNTIL 5, MISTER REFEREE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Arguing with the ref while kneeling and pressing a shin on your opponent's throat

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
For some reason people kept trying to backdrop HHH despite him turning that into a knee lift for twenty years. I would simply decline to try

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

frankenfreak posted:

Arguing with the ref while kneeling and pressing a shin on your opponent's throat

I don't know if he still does this, but Claudio used to do a variation where he'd kneel on their throat while clasping his palms together like he was praying as if to suggest he was a pious fellow who'd never break the rules

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

hikari noa does this spot which is by far the weirdest crossover ive seen

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

King Bahamut posted:

For some reason people kept trying to backdrop HHH despite him turning that into a knee lift for twenty years. I would simply decline to try
At least that was less obvious than Hogan attempt the first powerbomb of his life against Kidman.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Artelier posted:

What are some fun signature spots? I was just thinking of ZSJ and his insistence on a strike exchange upon which he dies IMMEDIATELY after the first strike.

The only other one I can think of is Flair top rope never works when heel. I'm sure there are a lot, I'm either unfamiliar with them or can't think of them atm

People sitting down with the Necro Butcher

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

frankenfreak posted:

At least that was less obvious than Hogan attempt the first powerbomb of his life against Kidman.

I can never remember if it was successful or not. I mean I know 'you can't powerbomb Kidman' but does that apply to Hogan?
I think Shaw did that spot as Bastion Booger too. I know the sitdown splash was his finisher anyway.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Red posted:

I don't think anybody gets into wrestling to make a career out of impersonating a more successful wrestler, but hey, good for Jeff Farmer.

“Yup.”

One of my favorite spots I recalled was Don Muraco eating like a hero sub while having a squash match.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That randomly got me thinking of the Waylon Mercy spot where he'd hold the ropes open for his opponent, let it go and smack them with the ropes. "I'm sorry, my hands are slippery"

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/HalHaneyArt/status/1354166434037960711

I just wanted to share this (not mine, just thought it was neat):

It'll be done in full color soon, but:

- Can you name them all?
- Is anyone missing?

Red fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 26, 2021

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

hikari noa does this spot which is by far the weirdest crossover ive seen

Is there a deathmatch wrestler who does the spot to complete the bridge or does Hikari Noa also like William Regal matches.

Red posted:

- Can you name them all?
- Is anyone missing?

Are these characters from like a book or something?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the only one i can name is Doctor D

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Whipping Bret or Owen Hart into the corners will send them chest first into the turnbuckle at 70mph.

Doing the same thing to HBK will have him somersault up to the top rope.

Flair will fly over the top rope to the apron where he will quickly eat a clothesline from his opponent.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the one on top is andore from final fight

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

JOHN CENA posted:

the one on top is andore from final fight

Adore the Gaint?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Red posted:

https://twitter.com/HalHaneyArt/status/1354166434037960711

I just wanted to share this (not mine, just thought it was neat):

It'll be done in full color soon, but:

- Can you name them all?
- Is anyone missing?

Trying to go row-by-row, I think I got everyone but one I'm not sure about. Did he ever feud with Ken Patera? It looks like him about 4 rows down on the right, I just don't remember them having a thing.

Having a hard time thinking of anyone who would be missing. Maybe some later WCW feuds like Vader or Kevin Sullivan?

Taker, Studd, Andre, Sid, Akeem
Bearer, Bundy, Quake, Heenan, Kamala, Yoko, Bossman
Dino Bravo, Haku, Perfect, Flair, Macho, Sherri, Honky Tonk, Brother Love
Orton, IRS, Dibiase, Warrior, Race, Slick, Patera (?)
Virgil, Funk, Ventura, Zeus, Slaughter, Steele, Muraco, Hansen
Dr D, Masked Superstar, Orndorff, Piper, Inoki, Valentine, Fuji
Killer Khan, Hercules, Sheik, Volkoff, Bad News Brown, Genius
Blassie, Adonis
Muta, Jimmy Hart

Ganso Bomb fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 26, 2021

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Super Dan posted:

Wasn't he just Syxx in WCW? Because he was the sixth member of the NWO. The Syxx-Pac moniker didn't come until much later, when he joined TNA, and they combined "Syxx" with "X-Pac".
I distinctly remember Nash yelling "C'mon Syxx Pack!" at him during a match on Nitro in '97, which eventually morphed into Syxx-Pac

Red posted:

Rick Rude's overselling of the atomic drop is one of my favorites.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxC_61v18g0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo0DLxl7okA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZp0zn-kBC8

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ok I'm glad someone knew who Ken Patera was because that was the only one I couldn't name.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Reminds me of how close we came to a Hogan vs. Tugboat feud. At the 91 Rumble, the two just went at each other for no real reason other than it being every man for himself and Hogan eliminated Tugboat.

Sometime after, they did a battle royal on SNME where Tugboat threw out Hogan like halfway into it. Then the two ended up brawling with referees breaking it up.

After that, nothing. Hogan continued his feud with Slaughter while Tugboat soon after fully turned heel and started up the Natural Disasters.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheKingslayer posted:

Ok I'm glad someone knew who Ken Patera was because that was the only one I couldn't name.

Orton threw me but to be fair I couldn't see his cast which I have literally never seen him without.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DeathChicken posted:

That randomly got me thinking of the Waylon Mercy spot where he'd hold the ropes open for his opponent, let it go and smack them with the ropes. "I'm sorry, my hands are slippery"

NOTHING beats the time he knocked the guy out of the ring, picked him up, DDT'd him, and then claimed that the guy "slipped".

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I got all of them minus Dr. D and Inoki. In the former's case I was wondering when Hogan feuded with young Glen Jacobs.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Dr. D should have been a huge star well into the early 90s, but was used and thrown under the bus by vince mcmahon, all because he was an extremely big moron dumbass. i recommend the episode focusing on him in the series 'Dark Side of the Ring'.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Cavauro posted:

Dr. D should have been a huge star well into the early 90s, but was used and thrown under the bus by vince mcmahon, all because he was an extremely big moron dumbass.

Wasn't the Brawl for All in 1998?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Not only was the Brawl For All in 1998, but so was the 1998 Royal Rumble

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

anakha posted:

Wasn't the Brawl for All in 1998?
He's referring to David Schultz, not Dr. Death

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Stone Cold Steve Williams

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Dawgstar posted:

“Yup.”
I was very sad when I found out Jumpin' Jeff was not the Jeff Farmer of nWo Sting fame. Sure, those two guys didn't even vaguely resemble each other, but how many wrestlers named Jeff Farmer could there possibly be?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Nick Jr. Face posted:

He's referring to David Schultz, not Dr. Death

:doh:

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Doc M posted:

I was very sad when I found out Jumpin' Jeff was not the Jeff Farmer of nWo Sting fame. Sure, those two guys didn't even vaguely resemble each other, but how many wrestlers named Jeff Farmer could there possibly be?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Artelier posted:

What are some fun signature spots? I was just thinking of ZSJ and his insistence on a strike exchange upon which he dies IMMEDIATELY after the first strike.

The only other one I can think of is Flair top rope never works when heel. I'm sure there are a lot, I'm either unfamiliar with them or can't think of them atm

A setup rather than a spot, but it's always fun watching people who have never in their lives ended up resting on the second rope just happening to end up their during the mid-stretch of a Rey Mysterio match.

My personal favourite signature is the point during a strong style Tomohiro Ishii match where he's in a slow strike exchange and a blow almost but not quite knocks him off his feet. He is so good at that spot.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Lamuella posted:

A setup rather than a spot, but it's always fun watching people who have never in their lives ended up resting on the second rope just happening to end up their during the mid-stretch of a Rey Mysterio match.

I’m pretty sure I got this idea from someone here, but I have no idea who, but I justify that in my head like this: a top competitor who uses that as one of their signature moves is also going to be an expert at getting people into that position. Maybe that doesn’t work in real world logic, but for wrestling logic that’s good enough for me.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Diabolik900 posted:

I’m pretty sure I got this idea from someone here, but I have no idea who, but I justify that in my head like this: a top competitor who uses that as one of their signature moves is also going to be an expert at getting people into that position. Maybe that doesn’t work in real world logic, but for wrestling logic that’s good enough for me.

oh, I absolutely accept it, it's just fun to notice.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Diabolik900 posted:

That's pretty sound logic, wrestling just takes it to the next level. Instead of getting someone to drop their hands for a punch somehow you've got them on the turnbuckle when they wouldn't normally.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, there's a difference between a guy setting his opponents up in a particular way to take his move and a guy with a counter-spot having his opponents do the move he counters every single match.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Talking about Okada over in NJPW thread got me thinking: which wrestlers across history would you say fit the same kind of role Okada has?

Like Okada is a respected and beloved guy and the face of his promotion, but also is an expert at tweaking his character to a heelish tweener to make crowds root for his opponents. He’s a final boss-level threat to anyone and always a realistic challenger for the main belt, but is also able to make people think just about anyone might get the pin on him. Etc.

I’m currently at work and can’t dedicate my time to thinking about this so nothing’s coming to mind immediately. What do y’all think?

Edit: wow bad at writing

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 27, 2021

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

a cyborg mug posted:

Talking about Okada over in NJPW thread got me thinking: which wrestlers across history would you say fit the same kind of role Okada has?

Like Okada is a respected and beloved guy and the face of his promotion, but also is an expert at tweaking his character to a heelish tweener to make crowds root for his opponents. He’s a final boss-level threat to anyone and always a realistic challenger for the main belt, but is also able to make people think just about anyone might get the pin on him. Etc.

I’m currently at work and can’t dedicate my time to thinking about this so nothing’s coming to mind immediately. What do y’all think?

Ric Flair

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, Okada is the modern day Ric Flair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

a cyborg mug posted:

John Cena