Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

howe_sam posted:

One thing I learned from the Vanity Fair WandaVision podcast is that not only is the next episode a Family Ties riff, it's specifically a riff on the Tom Hanks episode, where Hanks plays the fun uncle who turns out to be an alcoholic and drinks a bottle of vanilla extract because it's the only booze in the house. Which leads me to think the uncle has to be Pietro, right? Or is that too literal?

That's got to be the James Spader role, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Isn't that Google cast list user-defined? I don't see anything about casting spoiler on the usual places

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Probably just wishful thinking, but I'd love to see it.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Paul Bettany said in an interview recently that there's something in the season they've been able to keep completely under wraps, and it's an actor he's always wanted to work with, so it'd be wild if the uncle for the Family Ties episode is Tom Hanks.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
They have worked together, though. The DaVinci Code.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Phylodox posted:

Exactly what he would say to throw you off the scent...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Do a Legion episode with angels and demons and swerve everyone.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I hope when they get to the 90's, Wanda starts summoning Rodney Dangerfield for sage advice.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Retrowave Joe posted:

Paul Bettany said in an interview recently that there's something in the season they've been able to keep completely under wraps, and it's an actor he's always wanted to work with, so it'd be wild if the uncle for the Family Ties episode is Tom Hanks.

Mother loving Hugh Jackman out of nowhere so we all lose it together

radlum
May 13, 2013

Desperado Bones posted:

If it's Pietro and if it's really Evan Peters the actor I will know be more interested in finding out HOW that happened. Does Wanda don't remember her brother? Is Evan's character another agent of SWORD pretending to be Pietro to get information out of her?

Maybe Wanda's magic can't actually revive someone, so instead of that she somehow pulls Evan Peters from a different universe (yeah, I know, why would she be able to break the multiverse and not revive a person, but still); I guess bringing back Vision was not such an issue since he is not actually human

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

radlum posted:

Maybe Wanda's magic can't actually revive someone, so instead of that she somehow pulls Evan Peters from a different universe (yeah, I know, why would she be able to break the multiverse and not revive a person, but still); I guess bringing back Vision was not such an issue since he is not actually human

That's actually my other big theory of mine as well. Just in case it turns out is true: Vision's body is a machine, and object, it can easily be reconstructed. I'm sure even his personality wouldn't be a problem to recreate for Wanda. Now this MCU Pietro is very well dead, dust and bones, her powers don't go that far. Somehow she has been able to open doors to other realities and time lines, and yes! She starts looking for her brother. I mean, she was reminded he died and this is messing up with her happy fantasy. Evan Peter's Quicksilver is the only one she finds still alive, so she literally kidnaps him. I know this sounds terrible,but she definitely wants the life she never had, and will have it at any costs.

The aftermath would be quite messy, and this idea is quite nightmarish. So I dunno if Disney has the cojones to go that way.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Phylodox posted:

Oh you’re right, wasn’t Bettany the self-flagellating priest?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

She's only confused looking when it's innocuous oddities. As soon as anything threatens to blow the strangeness of her new reality she immediately drops any hint of confusion, and both acts and speaks in a different, more confident manner. Rejecting the thing threatening to destroy what's around her, and then shifting back to her somewhat bemused character. Only, it lasted a bit longer this episode after ejecting Geraldine from Westview, because she still has a somewhat ominous tone of voice when Vision comes in and seems fully aware of what happened. If she's confused then it seems to be either an act, or purposefully clouding her own mind and only allowing her real persona out when something is threatening her new reality. I don't feel like it's someone else clouding her perceptions, because the timing of her taking control and then going back to a slightly confused persona is too convenient to be on the part of someone else.

Wanda is pretty clearly clouding her own mind. Wanda with an unclouded mind remembers that "I murdered Vision to destroy the Mind Stone and then Thanos rewound time and murdered Vision again right in front of me." Wanda wants to be happy. It's hard to be happy with that poo poo at the front of your mind. So, if somebody threatens her Sitcom Heaven, she recovers her normal mind just long enough to deal with the problem and then goes back to being Sitcom Wanda again.

I will say that I'd love to see James Spader as Ultron as Robert California talking about sex and mutton and just skeeving/confusing the hell out of everybody around him

Everyone fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 26, 2021

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Everyone posted:

Nobody's dead or suffered some horrid, permanent fate yet.

It might be worth noting that Vision's boss, Mr. Hart, hasn't appeared since the first episode.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Gonz posted:

Do a Legion episode with angels and demons and swerve everyone.

Do a Legion episode with Aubrey Plaza and Dan Stevens :negative:

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

fractalairduct posted:

It might be worth noting that Vision's boss, Mr. Hart, hasn't appeared since the first episode.

He's animated in the second episode's opening. Vision throws water on him.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Well, I just remembered that Wanda's first appearance in the MCU had her manipulating people's minds.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Shageletic posted:

Well, I just remembered that Wanda's first appearance in the MCU had her manipulating people's minds.

Technically her first appearance was in a mid-credits sequence in The Winter Soldier and she's shown manipulating objects, not people! Mnyeh! :eng101:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Phylodox posted:

Technically her first appearance was in a mid-credits sequence in The Winter Soldier and she's shown manipulating objects, not people! Mnyeh! :eng101:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

someone manipulate the memories of this thread from my mind

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Retrowave Joe posted:

He probably never met James Spader on set. (casting spoiler??)

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Since we know that this series connects to Multiverse of madness is it possible that they changed Wanda's backstory now that they own Fox? So instead of the mind stone giving her powers, it gave her the mind of an alternate universe Scatlet Witch which then somehow gave her powers?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Mage_Boy posted:

Since we know that this series connects to Multiverse of madness is it possible that they changed Wanda's backstory now that they own Fox? So instead of the mind stone giving her powers, it gave her the mind of an alternate universe Scatlet Witch which then somehow gave her powers?

It can't be a coincidence that they are kicking off multiversal shenanigans with one of the handful of characters that actually has shown up in more than one of these movie universes.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mage_Boy posted:

Christ I hope not; that's the kind of horribly convoluted bullshit I'd expect out of the worst of the comics and if the movies have done anything well, it's to streamline all the really needlessly complex elements of the comics to make them more presentable.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Bedshaped posted:

He probably never met James Spader on set. (casting spoiler??)

I think he did. If I remember correctly, Spader was on set doing motion capture for the whole thing.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

I think he did. If I remember correctly, Spader was on set doing motion capture for the whole thing.

This is actually correct. That's why I say it's gonna be Hugh Jackman. Click bait sites claim Paul was interested in Les Miserables but he didn't get the role. Honestly, I just want to see Wolverine again, even if it's the old-man version, Jackman was so good in the role

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Y'all are gonna be real sad when they do the sitcom trope of the annoying twin and we get douchey Vision played by Bettany with a lovely moustache.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Gaz-L posted:

Y'all are gonna be real sad when they do the sitcom trope of the annoying twin and we get douchey Vision played by Bettany with a lovely moustache.

More Vision sounds like a good thing though?

radlum
May 13, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

It would be kind of amusing if the Wonder Man teases are just for a dumb joke of Vision playing his douchey actor brother.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Hoping all the theories of multiverse stuff don't pan out, the idea of this being more about straightforward trauma are a lot more interesting imo. Heck, I'd love it if SWORD ends up being a begin agency trying to pull her out of whatever catatonic world she's made for herself.

Suppose you can have both, and MCU pulled off a friggin' time travel plot, so they have my benefit of doubt.

It is really cool to see a show like this keep it's cards close to it's chest tho three episodes in! It'd be fun if given the side characters talking more openly with Vision about how stuff's screwy, maybe Wanda actually took over a small town – and SWORD is simply trying to figure out why / how to get her to release control of it.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 27, 2021

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

radlum posted:

It would be kind of amusing if the Wonder Man teases are just for a dumb joke of Vision playing his douchey actor brother.

I'd take that over Nathan Fillion.

Interesting thing I noticed when revisiting the glitchy moments of the show is that it isn't until she's pregnant that Wanda is all-in on keeping the facade. At the magic show, she's trying to tell Vision about the helicopter toy and radio incidents, but gets interrupted by his gum-drunkenness. That's night and day from shutting down Vision for suggesting something's off in the next episode.

I'm still of the mind that there's more to the situation than just Wanda's doing. Somebody else is benefiting from this (probably the creation of the children) and Wanda is going along with it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mage_Boy posted:

If they do change her backstory, it won't be here. That's something that'll occur for maybe Phase 5 or whatever after they complete Secret Infinity Dilemma on Unlimited Human Home Planets to put the Sony and Marvel stuff all together.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

The World Inferno posted:

Hoping all the theories of multiverse stuff don't pan out, the idea of this being more about straightforward trauma are a lot more interesting imo. Heck, I'd love it if SWORD ends up being a begin agency trying to pull her out of whatever catatonic world she's made for herself.

While the giant comic nerd in me wants absolute insanity in regards to multiverse/alternate timelines, I seriously doubt anything MAJOR will occur in this series (or Loki) since they do have Dr.Strange 2 "The Multiverse of Madness" coming up (and also possibly the MCU Spider-Man 3 that is rumored to almost sort of be MCU's version of "Into the Spider-Verse.")

I just don't think Disney is going to produce a movie where you have to have seen this TV show first to understand it.

So while maybe some minor plot point (like the multiverse as it exists in the comics*) or villain is introduced, I don't think we'll get much to it, and whatever it might be, it will almost certainly get RE-introduced in Dr.Strange 2 to the benefit of those that didn't watch this series.

*By which I mean, we already know there is some sort of multiverse already thanks to Dr.Strange. We know there's the Dark Dimension, the Mirror Realm, and a few other that The Ancient One had Strange's consciousness travel through at the start of the first Dr.Strange. But, like a lot of others, I'm hoping/assuming that it'll be more like the various dimensions in the Comics, with the current MCU being the "standard" one like 616, and having others like the Ultimate, Marvel Zombies, all the various realities from the What If?... series, etc...

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

DrBouvenstein posted:

*By which I mean, we already know there is some sort of multiverse already thanks to Dr.Strange. We know there's the Dark Dimension, the Mirror Realm, and a few other that The Ancient One had Strange's consciousness travel through at the start of the first Dr.Strange. But, like a lot of others, I'm hoping/assuming that it'll be more like the various dimensions in the Comics, with the current MCU being the "standard" one like 616, and having others like the Ultimate, Marvel Zombies, all the various realities from the What If?... series, etc...

I get what you're saying about the current MCU being the "standard" one, but for future reference, the MCU is Earth-199999, right? And the comic standard universe is Earth-616, right?

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

thrawn527 posted:

I get what you're saying about the current MCU being the "standard" one, but for future reference, the MCU is Earth-199999, right? And the comic standard universe is Earth-616, right?

Yeah, and the other somewhat important one (because they have used things from it in MCU as well) is Earth-1610. This is where Nick Fury first looked like Samuel L Jackson and Miles Morales came from.

Edit: It's the Ultimate universe from the comics.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

New Wandavision promo is up and is a bit too spoilery, maybe?.

Everyone in the town are real people. SWORD has their ID's and everything. Agnes is the only one without an ID. Seems we'll get to see what happens outside Wanda's TV bubble.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yeah, the change of perspective is going to be from [episode 4 spoilers]Monica Rambeau and SWORD's perspective, by the looks of things; starting from when they discover the town and presumably going right up until the finale of last week. Which should shed a good bit of light on the setup for the show, even if not on what Wanda specifically wants or anything.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

tsob posted:

Yeah, the change of perspective is going to be from [episode 4 spoilers]Monica Rambeau and SWORD's perspective, by the looks of things; starting from when they discover the town and presumably going right up until the finale of last week. Which should shed a good bit of light on the setup for the show, even if not on what Wanda specifically wants or anything.

so is Monica the only competent SWORD agent? because looks like they brought in the comic relief from Antman & Wasp, and Thor for this mission

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Basically this episode seems like exactly what I was hoping for and what we needed to push the story forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

so is Monica the only competent SWORD agent? because looks like they brought in the comic relief from Antman & Wasp, and Thor for this mission

Well, the other option is that just like Wandavision is expanding on the characters of Wanda and Vision a lot more than either ever got in the film, the characters we see in SWORD will get a lot more to do than they did in their respective films. I wouldn't be holding my breath though, honestly, since [episode 4 speculation based on spoilers]Monica will probably be the main point of view character for a lot of it, given they presumably want to set her up as a character in her own right, either to act as support in future Captain Marvel films or maybe even make her a hero in her own right. The conditions of this, with a weird magnetic interference field and magic from the infinity stones at play seem like they might be what empowers Monica as Spectrum.