Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Panderfringe posted:

Yeah, no poo poo. But the way it's all shown to us does not make me think they're hard up for food. They say food is running low, but we never once saw them actually scavenging for it. Instead they had a buffet in a mansion.

Not that small group of three people, no, but the security guards that showed up the next day were scavenging for food.

Edit: "This is the most pathetic shakedown I've ever seen. You must be new at this." is my favorite line this episode.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Nuking Lake Winnipesaukee mansions by taking off on fusion instead of teakettle was the best possible way to end the episode.

The slow establishing pan over the mansions was a pretty good chekhov's fusion drive

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Nuking Lake Winnipesaukee mansions by taking off on fusion instead of teakettle was the best possible way to end the episode.

The rare good Epstein island.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Wheeee posted:

lol at peaches' naive bullshit getting a bunch of their people killed

Book differences spoiler if you care about such things (extremely minor):

I was disappointed with how they played this out, because the whole point was that peaches was being Amos' moral rudder. In the books, that one guard that Amos chatted with for a bit gets ganked and is pretty much toast and Amos leaving the safety of the ship to drag her in is a big moment, because the old Amos would have just left her behind because it was the pragmatic move. The show decided to have like 6 people get headshot to UP THE STAKES and just have the one guard already with Amos right on the ramp to the ship so there's no moral quandary. So it kinda double-whammy hosed up the whole point.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

CPColin posted:

The rare good Epstein island.

:golfclap:

I was expecting erich's goons to light those dudes up as soon as King-rent-a-cop's group turned their backs, tbh.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

From a filmmaking standpoint I really appreciated that we didn't see Clarissa's murder mayhem scene at all. Just we see her getting trapped by a bunch of baddies, cut away to do another scene, then we follow another POV in to where she is and she's just sitting on the floor amidst a pile of corpses with a puddle of vomit in front of her. "Oh my god she killed them all with her bare hands :aaaaa:"

Good decision, it would have served no purpose to show the actual scene, we were getting plenty of action outside at that point, and plus we'd already seen murder hummingbird

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Wheeee posted:

lol at peaches' naive bullshit getting a bunch of their people killed

it's unfortunate that we're about to eat an unsatisfying cliffhanger season finale

Peaches saving the rich people's servants wasn't any more naive than Naomi saving those belters on Ganymede station, which left a big impression on Amos, especially seeing as she had to tranquilize him in order to be able to do it

and her stopping them from shooting the security dudes made some level of sense as well, because getting into a firefight during that first scene while they were all right next to each other would have guaranteed that at least a couple people on her side would have died, whereas sending them away would maybe give them some chance to avoid bloodshed

but things didn't go well, and they still had to shoot each other

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Definitely should have lit them up as soon as they turned around but whatever, if they're the high end ex-military rent-a-cops they probably had some dudes hidden out of sight to prevent exactly that

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Crazycryodude posted:

Definitely should have lit them up as soon as they turned around but whatever, if they're the high end ex-military rent-a-cops they probably had some dudes hidden out of sight to prevent exactly that

Yeah there were clearly way way more of them in the final attack than the number that approached them initially. Shooting them all right away would have just forced their overwhelming attack earlier before the ship was ready.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Data Graham posted:

From a filmmaking standpoint I really appreciated that we didn't see Clarissa's murder mayhem scene at all. Just we see her getting trapped by a bunch of baddies, cut away to do another scene, then we follow another POV in to where she is and she's just sitting on the floor amidst a pile of corpses with a puddle of vomit in front of her. "Oh my god she killed them all with her bare hands :aaaaa:"

Good decision, it would have served no purpose to show the actual scene, we were getting plenty of action outside at that point, and plus we'd already seen murder hummingbird

the last time they attempted to show her do this looked ridiculous and didnt go over very well.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Pizza Segregationist posted:

My only other gripe with this season was the way they showed Clarissa killing the survivalist guy. That looked pretty cheap..

It was from the prepper's point of view, where all he sees is a terrifying screaming blur whooping his rear end out of nowhere. Clarissas angry scream was a new thing, and did surprise me and sound kinda funny, but i thought the visuals were fine :shrug:

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Kassad posted:

It sounded like the family that owns the house haven't been there for a few months, so there's only a handful of staff to keep the house clean during the winter.

I thought it was supposed to be summer?

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah there were clearly way way more of them in the final attack than the number that approached them initially. Shooting them all right away would have just forced their overwhelming attack earlier before the ship was ready.

No reason to not thin the herd while it's easiest.

duck monster posted:

Hows it nerfed? Its been made clear that the earth is a wreck and millions dead.

It's gonna be in the 5-15 capital b billions dead. At least, in the books.

As in, bar none the worst mass murder event ever seen, by a long shot

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Panderfringe posted:

This whole season has been dull and boring. There's been what, four unique episodes, and another 4 of the same episode. When is something going to happen Jesus Christ

Panderfringe posted:

Weird, so I guess there's only two real episodes in this season, and eight episodes of filler.

Panderfringe posted:

I don' think anything can save this season.

Panderfringe posted:

This is trash.

Panderfringe posted:

The show's writers forgot what kind of snow this is, and think they have the chops to write a deep and brooding drama when they most certainly do not.

lol :thunk:

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

If you don't have the budget to do a bullet time or the stunt people to pull off a sped up in post scene then showing the aftermath is more effective at conveying superhuman speed / strength.

Showing Amo's face and hearing scream / punching / crunching sfx then cutting to Peaches covered in blood and the prepper dude's flattened head would've worked much better than the weird POV shot they did previously.

Amo's shower fight scene is the way to do violence like that, IMO. You don't need to see the whole scene because there isn't an emotional or character component to murdering random mooks.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 27, 2021

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So far the only VFX choice they've made in this whole show that made me cringe a little was a child coffin being vaporized. Only stand out bad effect. Everything else has been "fine" at worst.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol this season has been loving awesome, you weird turbogoons

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The way they handled Peaches murdering the Pinkwater dudes was to do it offscreen. Its crazy they handled that so well but did the prepper bit so poorly.

So yeah this episode cemented that they've more or less messed up a lot of the presentation of the storylines in this season, considering that every after-the-episode show has to explain a ton of poo poo the show does not get across.

Like did you guys get at all that Naomi is losing air by opening the airlock and that's why she's marking the tally's on the wall?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Phi230 posted:

Like did you guys get at all that Naomi is losing air by opening the airlock and that's why she's marking the tally's on the wall?

Yes. And, in fact, that very thing was mentioned in this thread after the episode.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

What if they had the scream, and then as they rounded the corner a blur runs up to the last guy and he topples back spurting blood?

Would be pretty easy technically

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Did Amos get shot during the retreat into the hangar? It looked like he staggered back stunned, and then Erich or someone else was like "I've got you" and helped him inside, but then he seemed okay.

I was like "did he get shot in the plot, which is armored"

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Kassad posted:

Not that small group of three people, no, but the security guards that showed up the next day were scavenging for food.

Edit: "This is the most pathetic shakedown I've ever seen. You must be new at this." is my favorite line this episode.

Also the group of locals who came by were out of/low on food and had no power.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Data Graham posted:

Did Amos get shot during the retreat into the hangar? It looked like he staggered back stunned, and then Erich or someone else was like "I've got you" and helped him inside, but then he seemed okay.

I was like "did he get shot in the plot, which is armored"

I was a bit confused by that too but I think he got shot in the gun and got a bit stunned and cut up a little with shrapnel but was able to shake it off.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Baronjutter posted:

I was a bit confused by that too but I think he got shot in the gun and got a bit stunned and cut up a little with shrapnel but was able to shake it off.

They were wearing armor, so I just assumed he got hit, which still hurts, but it didn't penetrate.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

An interesting bit I've noticed is that on early clearly they ain't using plastic bullets. You've got shots easily going through heavy steel doors and the like. While out in space everyone uses non-AP ammo so their ships don't get shot up.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

BrotherJayne posted:

I thought it was supposed to be summer?

Those servants they find hiding say they're the winter staff :shrug:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
He got hit in the face with fragments of rock due to a bullet that hit the wall right next to him, leaving him partly stunned for a second.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Earther joke just being lovely and kinda racist is the greatest thing ever. You can imagine any so-called prestige-TV like Breaking Bad or Westworld making really big thematic stuff out of the joke, but nope, the Admiral is just petty. I love it so much.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

That scene where Avasarala tells the admiral she wants him in her cabinet and then pours some whiskey for him...

I wonder if she poisoned him with that undetectable heart attack stuff? He's a powerful and bloodthristy dipshit that now has a ton of respect worldwide thanks to his new reputation as a "hero that saved earth", and is already responsible for killing thousands of innocent belters. So maybe she figured humanity is safer if he's dead?

or maybe they were just drinking

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Rah! posted:

That scene where Avasarala tells the admiral she wants him in her cabinet and then pours some whiskey for him...

I wonder if she poisoned him with that undetectable heart attack stuff? He's a powerful and bloodthristy dipshit that now has a ton of respect worldwide thanks to his new reputation as a "hero that saved earth", and is already responsible for killing thousands of innocent belters. So maybe she figured humanity is safer if he's dead?

I don't think he's really dangerous to her, he didn't try and trick the last SG - he just gave his views and that SG was dumb af to think it was a good idea.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was hoping a seemingly nice transport minister guy would maybe be a kind leader during this time but he quickly translated his lack of experience and confidence into "just kill a ton of civilians to look strong, very logical"

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

CLAM DOWN posted:

Best season so far, imo, dope as hell getting to spend time with these characters in situations with completely different kinds of stakes.

Baronjutter posted:

I was hoping a seemingly nice transport minister guy would maybe be a kind leader during this time but he quickly translated his lack of experience and confidence into "just kill a ton of civilians to look strong, very logical"

I was vaguely hoping his history as not being a career politician would mean something like that, but I get why he'd choose retaliation even if I hoped he'd be the first drone president to not drone strike hella civilians. Obviously a bad call for all of the reasons Avaserala says in the ep, but given that there were people suggesting that exact kind of thing in the thread and elsewhere it's not exactly a surprising move.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Rah! posted:

She talked him out of going to the front line basically, would have been easier to let him just gently caress off and go than murder him.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sab Sabbington posted:

Best season so far, imo, dope as hell getting to spend time with these characters in situations with completely different kinds of stakes.

:agreed:

I binged Season 4 and I'm absolutely chomping at the bit every week for the next episode of this season.

Doom2020!
Dec 31, 2020

If you think this has a happy ending then you really haven't been paying attention

Rah! posted:

Peaches saving the rich people's servants wasn't any more naive than Naomi saving those belters on Ganymede station, which left a big impression on Amos, especially seeing as she had to tranquilize him in order to be able to do it

and her stopping them from shooting the security dudes made some level of sense as well, because getting into a firefight during that first scene while they were all right next to each other would have guaranteed that at least a couple people on her side would have died, whereas sending them away would maybe give them some chance to avoid bloodshed

but things didn't go well, and they still had to shoot each other

I also wonder how much of this is a reaction to her previous attitude. Sometimes when people cross lines they didn't want to they can overcompensate too much the other way. One of the biggest hippies I have ever met was a soldier who has seen "the shite" and now will capture spiders and flies and gently toss them outside. Sometimes good people do bad things and they just want feel good again.

Data Graham posted:

Agreed and made me love Erich more. Love that guy. Really have loved this entire season and my only real naggle has been the apocalypse on earth is too muted. Weirdly I am wondering how a green filter and bouts of heavy fog would have looked. I guess the early episode outdoor scenes of American Horror Story Apocalypse as an example. Fairly cheap too. Just something subtle to help reinforce the "we are proper hosed and lets gtfo" feeling. Would have made that scene of Amos watching the beauty of the sun as they left atmo even more poignant.

Still small complaint and have really liked this season. Like the theme of both Amos and Naomi finally confronting the ghosts of their past they ran away from. Glad Naomi finally figured it out but wish it hadn't been on camera at the end of the episode after more struggle. Just took a bit of air from the last Naomi heavy ep and would have been fine if it was a surprise. I guess I'm in the minority and still enjoy Filip and Marco. Marco plays his son like a bloody fiddle and Filip is so effin doomed. All I ask if Drummer goes out at the end of the season she better go out like a boss. Hoping she doesn't as losing her, Ashford AND Johnson in such a short span leaves the Belt hosed for non Dawes leadership after Marco becomes the next Che.

Doom2020! fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 29, 2021

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Baronjutter posted:

An interesting bit I've noticed is that on early clearly they ain't using plastic bullets. You've got shots easily going through heavy steel doors and the like. While out in space everyone uses non-AP ammo so their ships don't get shot up.

yeah im kind of surprised the ship didn't take any damage from the firefight

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

niethan posted:

yeah im kind of surprised the ship didn't take any damage from the firefight

A rich dude's ship is probably built to handle micrometeroid impacts so regular guns aren't going to do much to it.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Phi230 posted:

No lol

I get they don't want to handhold, but there's a difference between that and throwing information at you without context.

Sab Sabbington posted:

I mean sure if you think failing at any kind of meaningful storytelling is dope

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

CLAM DOWN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdLVQty9Jho&t=26s

Seriously though, I think I preferred season 4. The martian society in decay stuff was great and they did a much better job with that than the earth is on the verge of collapse stuff. The stakes got a little ridiculous but atleast they aren't being stretched over 4 weeks.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Doom2020! posted:

I guess I'm in the minority and still enjoy Filip and Marco. Marco plays his son like a bloody fiddle and Filip is so effin doomed. All I ask if Drummer goes out at the end of the season she better go out like a boss. Hoping she doesn't as losing her, Ashford AND Johnson in such a short span leaves the Belt hosed for non Dawes leadership after Marco becomes the next Che.

Having known a lot of Marcos helps build him up as the kind of greasy space dictator he is/wants to be, and between that and Filip's actor I've been a huge fan of pretty much all of their stuff. Cyn's actor is one of my favorite actors, too, so that helped.

Panderfringe posted:

No lol

I get they don't want to handhold, but there's a difference between that and throwing information at you without context.

Someone not catching the context isn't the same as them not giving context.

Panderfringe posted:

I mean sure if you think failing at any kind of meaningful storytelling is dope

I legit have no idea how you could be using the word meaningful here, because this whole season has been nonstop explorations of these characters with tons of plot development alongside it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I miss the blue goo part of the show. It’s still good TV, and I enjoy the character work, but I miss the existential mystery