Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm not sure they can just add entire planets, actually. New planet types, sure, but then everything in the universe gets re-compiled based on whatever algorithm tweak was made to add the new planet type.

Plus adding planets that weren't there before would undermine what little lore the game has :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Thundarr posted:

I'm not sure they can just add entire planets, actually. New planet types, sure, but then everything in the universe gets re-compiled based on whatever algorithm tweak was made to add the new planet type.

Plus adding planets that weren't there before would undermine what little lore the game has :v:

sure they can, the origins update added a ton of new planets. like 0-3 new planets per system or something, somewhere in the millions. thats how they were able to add new planet types with huge rear end mountain ranges without loving up any player bases

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Really? I didn't know it actually added planets. Then again prior to Origins I hadn't played for over a year so I wouldn't have noticed if there were a few new lights in the sky.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah the new planet types are all new planets, to avoid messing with people's bases (in theory anyway, pretty sure at least one of my bases changed planet type).

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

marktheando posted:

Yeah the new planet types are all new planets, to avoid messing with people's bases (in theory anyway, pretty sure at least one of my bases changed planet type).

the origins update both added new planets and changed some elements of existing planets. the geography is unaltered but the color palettes, and some of the flora and fauna have all been changed and some of them have different weather now too. the new planets they added have different kinds of geography like bigger mountains and canyons etc which would have broken bases

they also added new stars in the sense that some systems are now binary or triple systems, but thats purely cosmetic

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
It'd be Really Hard(c) and the result is the same. People complaining about the selection of planet biomes currently would switch to complaining about the lack of diversity on multi-biome planets. It'd still be billions of worlds with the same handful of biomes, but now if you wanted to you could see a different biome without leaving a planet in a game where staying on one planet is the opposite of the goal.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Thinking about getting back in to this and had a question:

The two times I've tried to play seriously, it never seemed like I could make enough fuel and thruster juice for my ship. Like I was always terrified that I'd get stranded on some shithole acid planet with no way off.

Has this issue been smoothed out or was I playing it wrong?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mailer posted:

People complaining about the selection of planet biomes currently would switch to complaining about the lack of diversity on multi-biome planets.

right, that's a good thing, and eventually they'd increase the diversity on multibiome planets too. people vocally pushing for more features tends to have good results as the devs are generally responsive to it, the origins update has done a lot to improve the diversity of planets which is something a ton of people complained about

quote:

It'd still be billions of worlds with the same handful of biomes, but now if you wanted to you could see a different biome without leaving a planet in a game where staying on one planet is the opposite of the goal.

i think the scope of what "the goal" is and can be should be widened rather than narrowed for a game like this. since we can build somewhat cool bases on planets there's plenty of incentive to stick around on ones you like, especially since the community has started actually settling certain areas of the euclid and other galaxies. the galactic hub for example is starting to feel like an actual city (well, sort of) specifically because of people sticking around and building it up and i think thats one of the coolest developments of this whole thing

it would also give more of a purpose to exploration of planets via the several land vehicles theyve given us, but which arent particularly useful right now because once youve seen any small bit of a planet youve seen all of it

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 28, 2021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Inzombiac posted:

Has this issue been smoothed out or was I playing it wrong?

A little of both? They changed which elements fuel the thrusters a while back, so they may be easier to find now. Also I'm pretty sure that no planet is allowed to be entirely without the most basic resources, but you might have to look around if you're in the middle of weird terrain that makes it hard for stuff to spawn.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah every planet has the blue crystals you need to make launch fuel, you will never be stranded. Or you can just buy it, or use uranium. And you can get a solar powered thing so your launch thrusters recharge in daylight, since getting that I very very rarely need to refuel for launch at all.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Okay, that's great to hear.

I never got far enough to know but are you meant to establish a base that you return to with teleporters/your ship or is the expectation to keep hoping planets like a cosmic nomad?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Okay, that's great to hear.

I never got far enough to know but are you meant to establish a base that you return to with teleporters/your ship or is the expectation to keep hoping planets like a cosmic nomad?

thats up to you. you can build one base and live there and keep going back to it and use it as a hub (you can teleport to your base from any space station) or you can build a new base on every planet you visit or you can just ignore the whole base building thing. some people build farms for various elements and stuff like that and there are autoharvesters now to help

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
If you buy (or get for free) a freighter, some relatively fast upgrades turn it into your "home base" pretty quick and you never want for storage afterward either.

But it's up to you. Don't feel beholden to any base if you don't want to be.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Earwicker posted:

i assume the lack of gas giants is due to them not wanting to really deal with gravity in a substantial way. they are hundreds of times bigger than regular planets and have absolutely crushing gravitational fields and massive permanent storms etc.

same reason there aren't any actual stars in the game, every system has 1-3 stars but they are just part of the skybox and you cant navigate towards them, neither their heat nor gravitational fields are modelled in the game and the planets dont actually orbit anything. and whether a planet is hot or cold etc has nothing to do with its position in the system, its random.

I mean this is NMS we're talking about here: there's no actual simulation modeling considering people are parking their freighters next to black holes that aren't pulling apart every planet and star in the system.
It wouldn't be hard to have some pretty "faux" gas giants that cause crushing damage to your ship if you get too close, just to break up the monotony of generic biome planets the game throws at you.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Earwicker posted:

right, that's a good thing, and eventually they'd increase the diversity on multibiome planets too. people vocally pushing for more features tends to have good results as the devs are generally responsive to it, the origins update has done a lot to improve the diversity of planets which is something a ton of people complained about

New planet diversity requires what I assume is a lot of work in terms of both assets and dorking with the algorithm. It's good, but (as evidenced right now after multiple passes) it's never enough. It gets celebrated for a week and then we're back to it all being boring. Adding multi-biome planets with multiple weather systems that also are accurately represented from space and have multiple bands of flora/fauna is a pretty big task with a small reward. I'd rather have a few new planet biomes for considerably less effort, since you're going to be pulsing through space to get to either anyway.

On the other hand they could invest that time into more construction, larger habitated areas (maybe not cities... but like towns/installations), fleet battles, combat in general, and new mission/event stuff. Things that pay off multiple times instead of the one time you happen to see a new biome.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The reason to use exocraft is not because they serve some big game purpose, but because they are fun. A suped-up Pilgrim or Nomad is way more enjoyable to take if you want to travel a medium distance on most planets, even if your ship could get you there faster.

Even if multi-biome planets are untenable (imagine the load times and pop-in a release day PS4 would get when visiting a planet with multiple biomes worth of assets), it'd be nice if weather didn't work exactly the same on every planet just with a different color and elemental type. Or that storms always have to do damage. Why can't jungle planets have rain storms that are just rain, or maybe sometimes it's cold rain instead of hot rain? Heck desert planets are the only biome in the game that actually has two environmental damage types (and nighttime storms are still hot for some reason).

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 28, 2021

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

its true every kind of weather in the game is some kind of super intense storm. it would be nice if there were planets where its just kind of overcast and theres a nice constant gentle rain all day. a planet like england or oregon

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Earwicker posted:

its true every kind of weather in the game is some kind of super intense storm. it would be nice if there were planets where its just kind of overcast and theres a nice constant gentle rain all day. a planet like england or oregon

Hey, I live in Oregon and I gotta tell you

...it's pretty great :unsmith:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea i love oregon its a beautiful place and will be touring around up there with my band as soon as all this virus poo poo is over. in the meantime an oregon planet in nmd will do if i can find one

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 28, 2021

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My first paradise planet has golden grass and tons of bubbles everywhere. All the other planets in the system are either on fire or are too radioactive to explore. Kinda makes me not want to go anywhere, haha.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Thundarr posted:

The reason to use exocraft is not because they serve some big game purpose, but because they are fun. A suped-up Pilgrim or Nomad is way more enjoyable to take if you want to travel a medium distance on most planets, even if your ship could get you there faster.

Even if multi-biome planets are untenable (imagine the load times and pop-in a release day PS4 would get when visiting a planet with multiple biomes worth of assets), it'd be nice if weather didn't work exactly the same on every planet just with a different color and elemental type. Or that storms always have to do damage. Why can't jungle planets have rain storms that are just rain, or maybe sometimes it's cold rain instead of hot rain? Heck desert planets are the only biome in the game that actually has two environmental damage types (and nighttime storms are still hot for some reason).

I'm pretty sure i found a cold temperate planet with a normal temp right above freezing where the storm still didn't push temps high enough to hurt me, it was just annoying with the fog.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Caconym posted:

I'm pretty sure i found a cold temperate planet with a normal temp right above freezing where the storm still didn't push temps high enough to hurt me, it was just annoying with the fog.

My home base is on a planet with purple grass and big bubbles. There's storms but they don't affect the temp enough to actually cause any drain on life support or hazzard protection. It's cool, just sucks about the wind noise and lack of visibility sometimes.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

My first paradise planet has golden grass and tons of bubbles everywhere. All the other planets in the system are either on fire or are too radioactive to explore. Kinda makes me not want to go anywhere, haha.

Ditto what Marktheando said about the Launch System Recharger blueprint. You can pretty much ignore starship fuel, especially if you spend a lot of time on foot/only make a few stops on a single planet. Also, you can buy sodium and oxygen from space stations and hide in your ship/dig a hole to escape storms, which makes it pretty easy to explore.

If you are strapped for units, I recommend selling albumen pearls, ancient relics, or storm crystals early on until you can afford large stacks of cobalt (or you could mine it, but that would take quite some time). Then go from station to station, sell the cobalt at the trade terminal and then buy it all back for MUCH cheaper. I recommend crashing the market at a 3-star economy system and then buying up every stack of cobalt from the station traders. Rinse and repeat at new system stations/trade posts.

Nanites are fairly easy to make once your reach the Anomaly during the story mission. Save up 10 salvaged data and unlock the Nutrient Processor. Then you can refine Star Bulb or Cactus Flesh into their final cooked product form and turn them in to Iteration Cronus for a nice little chunk of funny money. If you are into hunting, refining two stacks of meaty chunks into Mystery Meat Stew will also exchange for a good amount.

EDIT: If you feel like the cobalt thing is too exploity, the best bang for your early buck would be exchanging your navigational data for ancient artifact maps from the cartographer at the space station (or building a signal booster and "search for nearby structures" will also work), then go to every ancient ruin and select "learn about history" or w/e from the interface thingy, which should send you to a buried relic site. Save your relics and exchange them at the first Colossal Archives you come across.

Another option is scrapping crashed ships at the space station. Just repair the pulse engine drive and launch system (if necessary), fly it to the station and scrap it. Scrapping yields high-value tradeable items, ship modules and the all-important storage augmentation.

EDIT2: Fun tip -- save beacons are easy ways to bookmark places of interest on a planet.

Moose_Knuck fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 29, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Caconym posted:

I've run into multiple planets with winds (also meteor storms and lightning storms, but I can't count those because they do damage :v: ), both freezing and scorching winds, which is no big deal if you've visited extreme planets in the past, so the sudden change from nice to awful weather won't face you. Then I suddenly noticed the winds could pick me up and throw me around. As long as you aren't landing face-first in something dangerous, no damage. Still both awesome and really annoying if you just wanted to walk from A to B. :v:

Another effect of storms is loving with your jetpack, either depleting it faster or refilling it faster, depending on the storm. Get into an electromagnetic storm with super-winds and a recharge effect, and it's super fun! Get into the storm with the opposite effect, and the winds will toss you around like a rag doll

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Tornados on extreme planets can actually be kinda dangerous since they can prevent you from being able to reach/create shelter for a couple minutes by juggling you in the air. Good thing you carry a large pile of sodium around with you at all times for emergencies like this!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Thundarr posted:

I will never get tired of jumping around in my big stupid mech.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I am completely unable to handle any of the vehicles in VR :(

(except the mech, because it's so slow, and the submarine, because it travels in perfectly straight lines)

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

The tornadoes can gently caress right off. When building my massive build-limit-consuming indium farm after the patch I probably spent a total of two hours being thrown around by wind. Wind that clips through walls so being enclosed indoors doesn't help. I built my collection point with extremely tight enclosures just so that you didn't get thrown around collecting from all the bins.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Okay, they really improved this game since I last played.

I got to The Anomaly and the resource cost for getting around is much less than before. It feels like I can actually explore without being scared of getting stranded all the time.

I got a mod that increases my flora scan reward by over 1,000% so I'm betting over 5,000 units per scan. That's small potatoes overall but it's a drat fine incentive to explore.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Yeah definitely get as many s class scanner upgrades as you can fit, fauna will reward like 100-150k units

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

hawowanlawow posted:

Yeah definitely get as many s class scanner upgrades as you can fit, fauna will reward like 100-150k units

With some min-maxing, you can easily push this to 150-450k units (rarity of animals tends to create some really wide spreads), which is 30-69k (:v:) for plants

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
You can only have ~4 upgrades for something like jetpack or scanner before it cancels the bonuses for all of them. But I noticed that if I put them over in my tech tab, I'm able to add more upgrades on my shared tab without it cancelling. Is that a display bug? Do the upgrades on my other tab stack or not? I haven't really experimented, I only noticed it with the jetpack so far.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Squibbles posted:

You can only have ~4 upgrades for something like jetpack or scanner before it cancels the bonuses for all of them. But I noticed that if I put them over in my tech tab, I'm able to add more upgrades on my shared tab without it cancelling. Is that a display bug? Do the upgrades on my other tab stack or not? I haven't really experimented, I only noticed it with the jetpack so far.

That's intended functionality and how you min max things like jetpack, life support and even ship/freighter upgrades.

There are other ways to max units out far faster, but scanning is a good early game way to get dough easily/fast.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

DelphiAegis posted:

That's intended functionality and how you min max things like jetpack, life support and even ship/freighter upgrades.

There are other ways to max units out far faster, but scanning is a good early game way to get dough easily/fast.

So you can have 6 total upgrades? 3 in tech tab and 3 in general tab?

edit: read up on it and indeed you can. Thanks!

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 30, 2021

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Yep, the trade off being you lose those as inventory slots. But if you find a bunch of drop pod scan data (or grind a freighter out) that stops being an issue quick.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I found all my suit upgrades really quick by installing a scanner in the basic exocraft and scanning for one or two drop pods on every planet I landed on

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have yet to get a freighter but can you drop stuff in its inventory while you're on a planet?

Is there a teleporter in them as well?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

I have yet to get a freighter but can you drop stuff in its inventory while you're on a planet?

Is there a teleporter in them as well?

Yes, once you get the item teleporter upgrade, which is actually kind of a bitch because the salvaged freighter things are hard to come by

You can build a teleporter in it, but I read that teleporting to your freighter is buggy and could leave you floating in space, so I've only ever teleported out of it

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Yeah, the "matter transporter" for your ship just extends the range you can put in/take out items from 50m to 150m. In most cases it's functionally useless.

The freighter version allows you to teleport stuff to/from your freighter from anywhere in the system as long as you warp it in. If you grind enough upgrade modules out to get the star color drives, this means you can warp it to every single system. And since you can put all 10 storage containers on your ship for pittance, well there's your storage problems solved instantly. It does take a lot of grinding derelict freighters to get to that point, though. Or if you're willing, to blow up NPC freighters and loot their tasty innards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Thundarr posted:

Tornados on extreme planets can actually be kinda dangerous since they can prevent you from being able to reach/create shelter for a couple minutes by juggling you in the air. Good thing you carry a large pile of sodium around with you at all times for emergencies like this!

First time I died in NMS was being picked up by a tornado during a radioactive storm and smashed repeatedly against a large rock formation.