Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ArbitraryC posted:

If it's so easy to wreck some big hedgefunds by propping up stock that should be any reasonable metric be failing how come that doesn't happen more often in a rich vs rich person scenario. I have a hard time believing there's so much collusion there's absolutely no one up top willing to take down other rich people in the name of their own profit. Is it just sort of a mutually assured destruction thing where it's taboo because they'd all ruin each other?

it's because betting against the shorts is just as risky and self-destructive as the shorts are, arguably more so. so any individual investor would have never put all their chips on this gambit

a large group of stupid people though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Mr_Companie posted:

The poor people are being manipulated by whoever started this project so they can make money with no risk you absolute moron; you loving idiot.

Poor people are being manipulated into sticking it to the fat cats and making bank for it. Better arrest em!

Mr_Companie
Jul 4, 2003

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN AN EXCITING BUISNESS OPPROTUNITY?

Katamari Democracy posted:

Poor people are being manipulated into sticking it to the fat cats and making bank for it. Better arrest em!

Yeah, the stock price dropped 100 dollars in five minutes. All these redditors are so smart. I wonder who it was that dumped their position first?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Mr_Companie posted:

Yeah, the stock price dropped 100 dollars in five minutes. All these redditors are so smart. I wonder who it was that dumped their position first?

Hell if I know man but either way people are getting hosed and its hilarious. Lighten up

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mr_Companie posted:

No, dumbass; it was criminal when martha stewart and the wolf of wall street did it. It was also criminal when some anonymous reddit posters started this who probably bought a bunch of gamestop stock first.

The poor people are being manipulated by whoever started this project so they can make money with no risk you absolute moron; you loving idiot.

it isn't illegal if you're not lying

"$GME is shorted 260%, if the price goes up all those shorts will have to buy to cover themselves and we'll get huge gainz" isn't a lie, it's an actual statement of fact

"$GME is going to the mooooooooooooon! HODL!!!!1!" isn't a lie, it's the opinion of an idiot.

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

sounds like we got a good system

we have a system that is neither good nor bad, but works. it works better if it's strongly regulated.

unfortunately at the moment it is not strongly regulated, but the answer isn't to fight fire with fire. unless your desire is to burn the whole thing down.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 28, 2021

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
the owner of Piggy Wiggly borrowed a shitload of money to buy all the outstanding shares in his own company when it was massively shorted. when it came time for the shorts to close out...the NYSE halted trading in the stock, abrogated the terms of the short sales, and gave the shorts time to find naive investors who held piggly wiggly to sell to them. so the piggly wiggly guy wound up owning like 90% of his publicly-traded company but also went bankrupt lol

the point is, i'm sure they would like to do something liek that in this case, but how would it even work? i dont think theres a huge reserve of non-redditors holding GME willing to part with it for 10% of market value

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr_Companie posted:

Probably some slicked back hair wall street guy

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Klyith posted:

destroying a couple hedge funds, at the cost of thousands of people becoming destitute after they bought gamestop at $500, is not worth it

the rich people still gonna be rich. also if the damage gets bigger than wiping out a single hedge fund, it will spread into places where it will become socialized losses. and that's not just like "the rich game the system to duck their losses". the only other way to handle the loss besides bailouts, is to just delete value from everyone that owns the stock. both options are unfair to someone.

It’s impossible to cheat an honest man.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Stock is being continuously halted to the downside. Now down from a high of $513 to $126. All the people who heard about it when it went viral and bet big yesterday or this morning are getting absolutely wrecked.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Can i just say that as a poor person nothing pisses me off more than when my poor friends talk about stocks

Saying that this reddit thing I don't understand seems funny? If rich people are losing out then it's good

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Pawn 17 posted:

Stock is being continuously halted to the downside. Now down from a high of $513 to $126. All the people who heard about it when it went viral and bet big yesterday or this morning are getting absolutely wrecked.

Holy poo poo what a swing. Some people are gonna be wiped out.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

eSports Chaebol posted:

the owner of Piggy Wiggly borrowed a shitload of money to buy all the outstanding shares in his own company when it was massively shorted. when it came time for the shorts to close out...the NYSE halted trading in the stock, abrogated the terms of the short sales, and gave the shorts time to find naive investors who held piggly wiggly to sell to them. so the piggly wiggly guy wound up owning like 90% of his publicly-traded company but also went bankrupt lol

note that this was in the 1920s

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Power to the Players

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Pawn 17 posted:

it might actually work, the conspiracy to prevent people from buying but allowing sales, in addition to slowing it from being run up more, will probably shake confidence and encourage sales. if you bought already it still seems like it would be pretty silly to sell today instead of tomorrow.

then again if you bought late and are selling because you are just now realizing that trading stocks is inherently a bad idea, which just might be a lot of people in this case, that's pretty rational

Mr_Companie
Jul 4, 2003

Everyone is in this thread like "the people who conspired to make this happen and got thousands of redditors involved did nothing wrong"

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i'm a degenerate gambler AND i gently caress around on Robinhood but this whole GME thing seemed too crazy even to me when it started being talked up. I will bet 100 dollars on a horse race without blinking if I'm in the mood and it seemed too dumb even to me.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Klyith posted:

note that this was in the 1920s

hey now there are more recent things too, like in the 1950s a guy bought the rights to ALL THE ONIONS (futures) in america and tried to make a huge buck

not just by hoarding the onions, no, but by being extra clever: makes moves as though hoarding was his plan, then furtively shorting onion futures, THEN flooding the market with cheap onions. no it didnt work, and yes it failed because they retroactively changed the rules

onions are still the only crop you cant buy futures of in america

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Mr_Companie posted:

Everyone is in this thread like "the people who conspired to make this happen and got thousands of redditors involved did nothing wrong"

its not that, its just that its no more wrong than jim cramer doing a single episode of mad money (which to be fair is pretty wrong)

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Mr_Companie posted:

Dont you have some panicking phone calls to make instead of trying to change goons minds about how you think it's not funny?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I feel a disturbance in the world, as if thousands of tendie and Funko budgets dried out and evaporated... Lmao

Mr_Companie
Jul 4, 2003

eSports Chaebol posted:

its not that, its just that its no more wrong than jim cramer doing a single episode of mad money (which to be fair is pretty wrong)

Yes, the people who organized this are just Jim Cramer's are Gordon Gecko's with reddit accounts who knew which way the wind was blowing.

Dont you have some panicking phone calls to make instead of trying to change goons minds about how you think it's not funny?

And it's hilarious, but the grown up goons who thought they were going to stick it to wall street propping up their favorite strip mall store get real defensive when you point out this is all a scam.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I don't know why anyone is upset. It isn't real money and it isn't real product. :smug:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mr_Companie posted:

Look, I worked for TMF (I still do, but I'm on break right now and not sure if I'm going back). This is no different than the poo poo we do all the time.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Made a small profit on SNDL before RobinHood kicked them off.

After I get out of ZOM and get my tax forms from RH I'm out, gently caress them.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Mr_Companie posted:

And it's hilarious, but the grown up goons who thought they were going to stick it to wall street propping up their favorite strip mall store get real defensive when you point out this is all a scam.

The only person who is bitching and getting defensive about this is you.

VVV This guy gets it.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
imagine being so far up your own rear end you get irritable at goons instead of laughing at people who dedicated their lives to stocks freaking out

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Mr_Companie posted:

Yes, the people who organized this are just Jim Cramer's are Gordon Gecko's with reddit accounts who knew which way the wind was blowing.

the only reason that this is playing out the way it is, is because it collectively self-reinforcing. if it actually all was According to Keikaku by Citadel or Ryan Cohen or some other figure, it is out of their hands now. and i suspect it really was the early redditors who were open about it and how much money theyve made. im sure it is going to inspire a shitload of astroturfing though: there seems to be evidence that AT LEAST Nokia is trying to get in on this deliberately

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Robo Reagan posted:

imagine being so far up your own rear end you get irritable at goons instead of laughing at people who dedicated their lives to stocks freaking out
Some guy's going to blow his brains out because he lost ONE BILLION DOLLARS on the Funko store lol.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mr_Companie posted:

r/wallstreetbets does poo poo that's morally wrong all the time. like telling people how to exploit a sequence of actions in the robinhood app to leverage themselves way more than should have been possible, and then laughing as someone watches a $10k investment turn into $0 on a 3% loss.

but that's not illegal. that's just pointing someone towards a roulette table and saying "if you put all your money on 7 you'll win 100x more if it comes up 7!"

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Deze nuts only $300 a share, and sure to improve in value. Paypal accepted.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
That’s not the odds in roulette!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Colonel Cancer posted:

I feel a disturbance in the world, as if thousands of tendie and Funko budgets dried out and evaporated... Lmao

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ja's got your back
https://twitter.com/jarule/status/1354812123080138759

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

there was a guy who made a ton of money on roulette at monte carlo in the late 19th century because he studied the spins and realized that the wheels were not perfectly true and had a tiny but statistically significant bias that allowed him to run up a ton of winnings before he was figured out

of course he needed a huge bankroll in the first place to do this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Jagger

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Yeah people gaming a system in their favor is nothing new and it's not a crime.

Michael Larson figured out how to completely put the game Press your Luck in his favor and I wish I was a fly in the room to see the producers sweat their asses off watching him literally rob them in broad daylight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfOm7K8A0Pw

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Any $$$ nerds want to tell me how freezing out any option to buy isn't manipulation?

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I actually think this is the last flight out on these kind of trades. Now that I know what is actually going on, a short squeeze like this or any of the other ones probably won't come along again even without regulation. LOL probably, but the banksters won't be stupid enough to get into that position again?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
That article is devastatingly short.

This has convinced me to go gamble 350 dollars. I’ll let you know how I did and if investing in GameStop would’ve been a better idea

Mr_Companie
Jul 4, 2003

This is all a Prisoner's Dilemma game playing out in real life. Like, of course a bunch of people decided to sell at 450 dollars! The short sellers are gonna come in and take everybody's lunch like they planned on doing the whole time.

Yeah people gaming a system in their favor is nothing new and it's not a crime.

Michael Larson figured out how to completely put the game Press your Luck in his favor and I wish I was a fly in the room to see the producers sweat their asses off watching him literally rob them in broad daylight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfOm7K8A0Pw

This dude is amazing and props to anyone who finds a way to win like this. I got in on NBA top shot two weeks ago, can't wait until reddit blows that up too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

It turns out that Wall Street does have values beyond pure avarice, just not the ones you though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrruG6nU_zY&t=64s