Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
thinking about buying a couple scratch offs today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Mr_Companie posted:

This is all a Prisoner's Dilemma game playing out in real life. Like, of course a bunch of people decided to sell at 450 dollars! The short sellers are gonna come in and take everybody's lunch like they planned on doing the whole time.

the shorts are still screwed even at like $50 lol. ofc there will still be idiots who keep holding it until it craters into the ground but i still dont see any [market] solution for the shorts to get out of this

Mr_Companie
Jul 4, 2003

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN AN EXCITING BUISNESS OPPROTUNITY?

eSports Chaebol posted:

the shorts are still screwed even at like $50 lol. ofc there will still be idiots who keep holding it until it craters into the ground but i still dont see any [market] solution for the shorts to get out of this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
People are still buying on 'real brokarages' watching live on Youtube, you can see it climb, than it drops 10 bux in one second when the shorters sell off, they are still getting killed though lol!

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Aardvark! posted:

thinking about buying a couple scratch offs today

Give me your money and I’ll buy only the best scratch offs

I wear a bow tie, you can trust me

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

maniacripper posted:

Yeah this is either going to fizzle out or get turbo charged and I'm betting heavily on the latter.

Shutting down those stocks on Robinhood just galvanized the working classterminally online middle class is this country like nothing I've ever seen or felt like this, wow. Today is going to be nuts.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I'm too poor to buy stocks but this whole thing is a wild ride to watch at least. Pretty funny watching all the big companies and press freak out because of it.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

N. Senada posted:

Give me your money and I’ll buy only the best scratch offs

I wear a bow tie, you can trust me

Whoa, hey, maybe you know this guy right here:

he gave me free money.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I'm too poor to buy stocks but this whole thing is a wild ride to watch at least. Pretty funny watching all the big companies and press freak out because of it.

Its mainly the rich people freaking out about it because wah wah wah poor people cant play by the same rules we do. It's literally class war and im loving every second of it.

Either way someone is gonna lose big because of it. And because the stock is dropping hard right now then Reddit users are the ones losing out.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Michael Corleone posted:

People are still buying on 'real brokarages' watching live on Youtube, you can see it climb, than it drops 10 bux in one second when the shorters sell off, they are still getting killed though lol!

Somebody is buying because it’s about 270 now

Lmao

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's ok i've sold all my gamestop shares and am buying up electronics boutique

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Once again goons were wrong about everything that I could be a millionaire right now

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Katamari Democracy posted:

Its mainly the rich people freaking out about it because wah wah wah poor people cant play by the same rules we do. It's literally class war and im loving every second of it.

Either way someone is gonna lose big because of it. And because the stock is dropping hard right now then Reddit users are the ones losing out.

Yeah it's hilarious seeing the fat cats try everything they can to stop it. A lot of bullshit articles and stuff keep coming out as well to try and scare people off to help save the big boys.

Of course by now it's probably too late to get in on this if you actually want to make money, but the early reddit investors could still do pretty well out of it. Who knows, this is unprecedented and the r/wsb hype is still on the rise. A lot of people seem to just be genuinely in it for the 'gently caress the system' part and don't care if they lose their money as well, and I salute those people.

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Once again goons were wrong about everything that I could be a millionaire right now

I listened to goons twice in the past. Once at the start of bitcoin when everyone here thought it would go nowhere. And once when everyone in a games thread said Earth Defence Force was great and I went and bought it and it was poo poo. Never listen to goons imo.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Amarcarts posted:

This poo poo is the first significant shake the market has had since last March and the big institutions are going to start profit-taking on a lot of their massive gains over the last 9 months to protect themselves from short-term volatility. We're already seeing everything contract. It's not guaranteed to result in another giant crash and it's really impossible to time the bottom on these things, but the "miracle of 2020" for the stock market may be over.

Thanks Biden!

No, really, if the market crashes people will be lining up to blame it on Biden.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I listened to goons twice in the past. Once at the start of bitcoin when everyone here thought it would go nowhere. And once when everyone in a games thread said Earth Defence Force was great and I went and bought it and it was poo poo. Never listen to goons imo.

what bitcoin taught me is that something can be less than worthless by its own merits but if enough other people don't realize that then it will be worth something

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mozi posted:

what bitcoin taught me is that something can be less than worthless by its own merits but if enough other people don't realize that then it will be worth something

hey this is why donald trump was president for four years

AMC will probably be next

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Im up $100 on Dogecoin :grin:

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

I find it pretty infuriating that an app is going to tell me I cant buy a stock when the market is open and has no restriction on it. Just closed my Robinhood account even though I did not and never would have had a position in GME/AMC.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Not GME, another one did.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

schreibs posted:

I find it pretty infuriating that an app is going to tell me I cant buy a stock when the market is open and has no restriction on it. Just closed my Robinhood account even though I did not and never would have had a position in GME/AMC.

lmao when even Ted Cruz thinks you're up to some unethical bullshit.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'd love to hear the reason all these brokers are suddenly preventing people from buying certain stocks.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Proficient Scoundrel posted:

this could end up coming out of a lot of pension plans for union workers etc

you gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

I'd love to hear the reason all these brokers are suddenly preventing people from buying certain stocks.

https://blog.robinhood.com/news/2021/1/28/keeping-customers-informed-through-market-volatility

Robinhood claims to just be protecting the little guy and keeping everyone informed LOL

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Away all Goats posted:

They and their institutional friends are losing money. That's the only reason they need.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

kazr posted:

Redditors pumping up Gamestop that ruins a few hedge funds and crashes the stock market is extremely the roaring '20s

Technical Note: Today atm there have been around 36 million trades of Gamestop, the average trades per day for the S&P 500 is around 4.9 billion. While the situation is hilarious, the greater stock market isn't really going to notice.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
What if in an ideal situation NO ONE SOLD and was for the 'cause' how much would it go to and how much would the shorters lose and what would be the endgame for the whole thing?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Michael Corleone posted:

What if in an ideal situation NO ONE SOLD and was for the 'cause' how much would it go to and how much would the shorters lose and what would be the endgame for the whole thing?

Hate to break it to you but you are not going to get a reliable answer to this question.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

My buddy bought like 5 shares each of GME & AMC this morning so he could have "something to give his daughters in a few years"

I wish him luck!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

These lawsuits are gunna be some lols. Ted Cruz and AOC both want investigations into Robinhood which is.. insanity.

Would not want to be a Robinhood employee right now.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I feel like a genius for buying AMC stock last month at $2. At the same time, I feel like a complete loving idiot because I only had $150 cash in my account at the time and I didn't feel like selling any of my other stocks, so in the end I only made like $850. That was probably a smart decision at the time but still, ouch. Oh well, free money!

vv Yup, that's exactly why I bought it, I was brainstorming which companies were likely to pick up once the vaccines rolled out and AMC seemed to be the most under-valued at the time. Now I'm thinking airlines or cruise lines but I'm no expert, this is like betting on sports. Fun as long as you don't do something stupid like YOLO your life savings on a risky stock.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 28, 2021

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
AMC at least has light at the end of the tunnel with the vaccine. The economy is likely to surge like gangbusters once people are comfortable integrating again. Movies are one thing a LOT of people miss. No one wants to sit at home to watch this poo poo anymore. It's like prison in here.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

The Postman posted:

https://blog.robinhood.com/news/2021/1/28/keeping-customers-informed-through-market-volatility

Robinhood claims to just be protecting the little guy and keeping everyone informed LOL

It's in Robinhood's best interest to prevent their customers from hurting themselves, their customers can't make stock trades if their blew all their money on a pump and dump scheme.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Robinhood has always been poo poo, they had that margin bug not so long ago. This time all the brokerages are in on it though

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

mikemil828 posted:

It's in Robinhood's best interest to prevent their customers from hurting themselves, their customers can't make stock trades if their blew all their money on a pump and dump scheme.

extreme lol at this bs.

"The little guy is too stupid to play the game properly we have to protect them."

BigSexy
Apr 21, 2020

mikemil828 posted:

That’s bullshit. If people don’t understand the risks of investing, especially into an obvious bubble, that’s on them. Robinhood is protecting the short position

Is Robinhood preventing people from investing in other stocks with no perceivable growth potential? Why not?

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Probably some light death and other threats were sent to old robin hood

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Away all Goats posted:

Because the bigger fish told them to. :ssh:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It'd be cool if this had a similar effect to the maga cult, except instead of hating minorities a shitload of people suddenly realized rich people actually loving suck and shouldn't be admired.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's hard to believe Robinhood survived that "free money code" margin bug in 2019. They're in the news for monumental gently caress-ups a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I've questioned why option trading was legal for years. The SEC should drop the hammer on that bullshit. Especially short positions. It's all degenerate gambling.

& yes we are in a massive bubble. The past year especially has been insane. Everyone and their brother is in the market and almost no one had losses last year. Even the "let me listen to random broke rear end youtubers" people I know broke even & some who did really dumb poo poo were up 40% at the end of the year. They're all continuing to gamble, some even quit their jobs to be "day traders" because they're making a few thousand per day on random bullshit trades with >90% of their savings. It's y2k bubble all over again but for entirely different reasons.

quote:

lmao when even Ted Cruz thinks you're up to some unethical bullshit.
When Ted Cruz and AoC are marching in lockstep on the same issue.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 28, 2021