Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Have the suits started jumping out of windows yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
If you want to protect people from themselves just ban retail trading. Ban robinhood. I mean short term investing overall is bad and we should reduce or eliminate it but lol good luck

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Robinhood isn't protecting small investors at all too, those hedge firms that shorted are just completely absolutely skull hosed if we actually operated as a free market.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Don't miss the follow up:

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1354848253729234944
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1354850338684215305

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Mooey Cow posted:

Have the suits started jumping out of windows yet?

Nah, they got some nice bailouts and will put down this peasant uprising shortly.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Philthy posted:

These lawsuits are gunna be some lols. Ted Cruz and AOC both want investigations into Robinhood which is.. insanity.

Would not want to be a Robinhood employee right now.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-28/robinhood-customers-sue-over-removal-of-gamestop

Already two class action lawsuits filed. I have doubts about how successful they will be, mostly because Robinhood's TOS says they can freeze trading whenever they want for any reason, and also damages are going to be tough to prove (especially with GME stock dropping right now).

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

BigSexy posted:

Is Robinhood preventing people from investing in other stocks with no perceivable growth potential? Why not?

There are tons of talking heads going on television calling for an SEC investigation and other regulation on Robin Hood and similar brokers. I kind of feel bad for them because they are screwed regardless of what they do. The SEC is pretty much regulatory capture defined, if the big banks sic them on one of the little guys that its.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Derpies posted:

Robinhood isn't protecting small investors at all too, those hedge firms that shorted are just completely absolutely skull hosed if we actually operated as a free market.
Pretty much. With the success of gamestop people are going to try to repeat it. Some of the repeat runs aren't going to make it and people will lose money, and some of the repeats will be successful.

Robinhood isn't trying to protect its users. If they were they wouldn't have crypto on the platform at a bare minimum.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Khorne posted:

Pretty much. With the success of gamestop people are going to try to repeat it. Some of the repeat runs aren't going to make it and people will lose money, and some of the repeats will be successful.

Robinhood isn't trying to protect its users. If they were they wouldn't have crypto on the platform at a bare minimum.

I'm pretty sure whoever runs robinhood got strongly encouraged to shut down the trades as well. Very strongly encouraged.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
From what I understand all the firms that shut down trading used Apex Clearing Corporation to clear the transactions and the call came from them.

https://twitter.com/PlagueOfGripes/status/1354856012046589958?s=20

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

BigSexy posted:

That’s bullshit. If people don’t understand the risks of investing, especially into an obvious bubble, that’s on them. Robinhood is protecting the short position

Is Robinhood preventing people from investing in other stocks with no perceivable growth potential? Why not?

This isn't bitcoin where if you get hosed, oh well. Even broker-dealers have some measure of responsibility towards it's clients.

Anyway it also it might just plain be out of Robinhood's hands altogether. Here is a video from one of Robinhood's competitors on why they also stopped buying gamestop shares. Rather than a global conspiracy against the people, it's just that the cost of settling the trades of such a volatile stock is too much for clearing firm they use so they have to stop.

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/heres-why-robinhood-restricting-users-173049721.html

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

christmas boots posted:

From what I understand all the firms that shut down trading used Apex Clearing Corporation to clear the transactions and the call came from them.

https://twitter.com/PlagueOfGripes/status/1354856012046589958?s=20

Now THIS is some criminal poo poo

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

mikemil828 posted:

Even broker-dealers have some measure of responsibility towards it's clients.

lol in general, lol at saying it in this context, also lol at saying it about Robinhood which paid the SEC (albeit a paltry $34 million) for failing to perform best execution for its clients

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

StarkRavingMad posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-28/robinhood-customers-sue-over-removal-of-gamestop

Already two class action lawsuits filed. I have doubts about how successful they will be, mostly because Robinhood's TOS says they can freeze trading whenever they want for any reason, and also damages are going to be tough to prove (especially with GME stock dropping right now).

Possibly, but a TOS will be overruled by market regulations. GME stock dropping is only going to be more proof, it wouldn't be dropping if they could buy.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I'm having a hard time getting over the fact that an app called RobinHood did everything in it's power to stop people from taking money from the rich.
Like how many levels of clown shoerey is this even

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

eSports Chaebol posted:

If you want to protect people from themselves just ban retail trading. Ban robinhood. I mean short term investing overall is bad and we should reduce or eliminate it but lol good luck

this would shatter an extremely necessary component of the current system's legitimacy. they're in quite a pickle here!

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I'm having a hard time getting over the fact that an app called RobinHood did everything in it's power to stop people from taking money from the rich.
Like how many levels of clown shoerey is this even

It's a lol

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I'm getting my money out of Robinhood before that gets 'difficult'.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I wonder how hard it'll be to get my $3 they gave me to sign up with.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

https://twitter.com/555Sunny/status/1354854993946406917

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ban money

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

What the gently caress??

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
holy poo poo

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Ok, that isn't good.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think that might just be a margin call.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

if it is real they are auto selling to force him to cover new margin ratios

i can't believe if someone just owned straight stock, purchased with cash, no margin, no options that they would FORCE sell your stock, for one thing it doesn't cost RH anything for you to just HOLD stock that you already own. yea they might close future purchases or future sales (lovely in its own way) but it costs RH no risk or anything for you to simply hold stocks you already own

edit: for perspective TDAmeritrade would let me buy and sell this poo poo all the time (except when the exchange paused trading for EVERYONE) but TDAmeritrade did adjust their margin coverage ratios quickly to 100%. so if you didn't have cash to cover any margin trading you did i bet they force closed you out.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 28, 2021

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

lol why would anyone ever use robinhood again after this

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Eat the rich

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

christmas boots posted:

I think that might just be a margin call.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Sludge Tank posted:

Eat the rich

id rather just take all their money and, thus, will to live

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

they loving hate this and even though i have no skin in this game, i am lapping up their tears

https://twitter.com/jangelooff/status/1354846320494784515

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
the fact that Ja Rule felt like he needed to weigh on GME trading is going to be hard to top as the greatest moment of 2021

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

lol I'd love to say that they'll never get away with all this fuckery, but they absolutely will.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Michael Corleone posted:

, but the banksters won't be stupid enough to get into that position again?

bankers use big words to make outsiders think theyre smart but at the end of the day theyre as loving dumb as the rest of us

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

eSports Chaebol posted:

there was a guy who made a ton of money on roulette at monte carlo in the late 19th century because he studied the spins and realized that the wheels were not perfectly true and had a tiny but statistically significant bias that allowed him to run up a ton of winnings before he was figured out

of course he needed a huge bankroll in the first place to do this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Jagger

Wikipedia posted:

Joseph Jagger was born at Cock Hill, Shelf, Yorkshire

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

This is what I read to get an idea about whats going on and how this poo poo works, if anyone is still curious

https://twitter.com/migbike/status/1354449364463325185?s=19

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Does SA have an investing forum?
I think all of this is hilarious, its like the GoonSwarm people in the Eve Online thread.
One side is saying "this is how you are supposed to play the game!" Goons response is to min/max everything and cooperate with each other, well within the rules of the game, but end up dominating it.

For reals though, if you want to invest in markets, understand the difference between speculation (that's what is happening here and is high risk/high rewards) and investment (which is typically low risk but also long term rewards).

If you are a young goon looking for a long term payoff, start investing in investments that pay dividends.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Rainbow Knight posted:

This is what I read to get an idea about whats going on and how this poo poo works, if anyone is still curious

That's a really elegant thread for explaining this whole thing to people who do not do this day in and day out. A+ find.

if reddit does indeed hold on for another week or so, and they have every opportunity to do it, :lol:

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Rainbow Knight posted:

Thanks for posting this. Now I understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Post ITT every time you lol that the rich gets owned